daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1861
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

There ya go.

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1862
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
STILL can't understand how CHICAGO was left off in favor of NASHVILLE.

Seriously, freaking NASHVILLE!
As a Chicagoan it is hard to stomach. It makes it a bit harder to get excited about the bid to be honest.

The worst part of it may be that we supposedly asked not to be a part of it

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/15/sp...5cncpulse.html

Chicago News Cooperative | The PulseChicago Withdraws From World Cup Bid

By DAN MIHALOPOULOS
Published: January 14, 2010

Less than three months after failing in a bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics, civic leaders took Chicago out of the competition to host World Cup soccer games in 2018 or 2022.

Chicago did not make the list of 18 potential host cities, announced on Tuesday, because the city balked at making financial guarantees that could have cost taxpayers about $10 million, said David Downs, the U.S.A. bid committee executive director.

Chicago was on the list of 27 finalists in the United States announced in August. But Mr. Downs said Chicago Park District officials told the United States bid committee in late December they did not want Soldier Field, below, to be part of their effort.

Timothy Mitchell, the Park District general superintendent and a longtime political operative for Mayor Richard M. Daley, decided to remove Chicago from contention, said Jessica Maxey-Faulkner, spokeswoman for the Park District.

“This is a tough economy,” Ms. Maxey-Faulkner said, citing the district’s budget deficit. “We didn’t think it was appropriate at this time.”

When critics of Mr. Daley’s campaign for the Olympics pointed to the city’s financial problems, he responded that the economy would most likely rebound before 2016. Polls, however, showed that local support for the Olympic bid was tepid, with most Chicagoans opposed to spending any public money on the Games

The opening game of the 1994 World Cup — the only time the men’s tournament was held in the United States — was at Soldier Field.

The stadium, owned by the Park District, was widely considered a shoo-in to host more games should the tournament return to the United States.
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1863
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Unlike Soldier Field, LP Field in Nashville can fit the full 68 metres in width required for the World Cup.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1864
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
Unlike Soldier Field, LP Field in Nashville can fit the full 68 metres in width required for the World Cup.
That's not a factor at this stage. See FedEx and Jerry World.
metros11 no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #1865
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Why do you say "futbol"? Speak english buddy.
ok soccer. happy?
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #1866
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
That's not a factor at this stage. See FedEx and Jerry World.
Yeah but FedEx and Jerry World have massive capacities that can't be passed up. The bid needs these stadiums, and challenges like field width are worth trying to overcome. They don't need little Soldier Field.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #1867
504souldja

Likes (Received): 17

It's very difficult to see why Chicago would be left out, it is a massive media market. Though their stadium is a little below capacity, you would think that the sheer size of the city would make up for that.
504souldja no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #1868
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFCB View Post
Yeah, the attendance was quite great in 1994, I guess the Americans somehow even though they don't love football they came in big numbers, Romania played 3 out of 5 games on the Rose Bowl then and the stadium was as full as it was during the final and it was great since they were all 3 great victories.

Columbia-Romania 93.586
USA-Romania 93.869
Romania-Argentina 90.469

Whilst I am not rubbishing the fantastic attendances at USA 94, I think it's safe to say that you're a bit off the mark with that post. The fans were there to see the host nation and the two South American teams, not Romania.

Romania vs Switzerland had a crowd of 61,000 in an 80,000 capacity stadium.
SSE no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #1869
SIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504souldja View Post
It's very difficult to see why Chicago would be left out, it is a massive media market. Though their stadium is a little below capacity, you would think that the sheer size of the city would make up for that.
The city didn't want to put up a 10 million gaurantee, even though they were willing to put up hundreds of millions on the olympics. Who decides that? Daley.
SIC no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #1870
jl1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Well, let's explore this.

Clearly they USSF was looking for some original locations, either to pacify the severity of the geography spread and/or to introduce new destinations into the international vocabulary. Yes, they could do the same-ol, same-ol with the usual cast of characters, but in some instances the venues may not be up to speed and frankly some of them may not be inspired: Supposedly many people avoid Orlando because of overt tourism already flooding the Disney metropolis. Plus there's the idea of incentive - Some cities may be looking to attract new eyes and visitors and are bending over backwards in their cooperation with USSF (Atlanta) while other, supposedly obvious choices are floundering in the political support of their bid (Chicago).

Nashville has a fine venue in LP Field, located near downtown and waterfront areas with a stable of tourist attractions and plenty of nightlife. It's also a fairly safe and clean city and, most importantly, as the hub of country music is decidedly American. This is something the USSF may wish to show off and tourists may want to see. Case in point: When the Olympics came to Atlanta the most popular tourist attractions were the things related to the Civil War, Gone with the Wind, etc.

Arguably Nashville is among the weaker bid cities remaining (I rate Indy and KC lower, personally) and I don't expect them to be chosen, but I can at least understand why they've been considered through this point.

And yes, the US men's side has played a game there before. I believe two. I just didn't find an aerial/high view photo of those games.
Listening to the city leaders talk the seem to have gotten assurances that they will be in the final bid. They said they were told they would be in after there presentation, they where the first city to give a presentation.

They will also bringing be filling the south end of the stadium with seating. The USSF appears to really like Nashville.

One cool part of the city's presentation was jumbo tron's floating up and down the river next to the stadium. I would like to see the city's proposal, sounded very cool.
jl1718 no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #1871
ryebreadraz

So Nashville is in the final bid, but will be more interesting is whether or not FIFA is interested in the city. If the US does get to host, FIFA makes the decision as to where matches are hosted so we'll see how that goes.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #1872
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
At least replace Tampa with Chicago...
And I can replace my toilet paper with Chicago....
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #1873
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 950

How about this hngcm, tell me why Chicago is better than Tampa when it comes to a host city for the 2018/2022 World Cup.
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #1874
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
How about this hngcm, tell me why Chicago is better than Tampa when it comes to a host city for the 2018/2022 World Cup.
I'll answer it for him. Chicago is the nation's third largest city and a massive television market. It has a downtown stadium adjacent to a large park that sits on the lake, making it perfect for a fan fest. It is also the largest city in an underrepresented region and home to the USSF headquarters. Tampa is a decent sized city, but not as big as Chicago. It doesn't have the international recognition of Chicago, it doesn't have the soccer history of Chicago and it is not the largest city in its own state, let alone region.

There are two things that held Chicago back. They didn't want to guarantee $10 million and Soldier Field is only 61,000. As a city comparison though, Chicago is superior to Tampa in terms of WC hosting. That said, I have no issue whatsoever with Tampa. I like the city, but it doesn't measure up to Chicago for this.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #1875
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21036

In 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, cities are scattered as well. One of the hosts cities (and for that competiton decision has been made and venues are under renovation/construction/final design already), Manaus, is at least 2h50 flight-time apart from any other host city, and there is no plan to "regionalize" comepetition.

I know USA and Brazil are very different countries, in regard of both infrastructure and soccer public recognition and interest, still some debates happened there when FIFA picked up some cities with no competitive team on their national league.

Travel abroad to watch FIFA World Cup games are an already expensive and complex enterprise. Usually you travel with an organized tour to follow your team, especially if you want to follow it through the playoffs: cities where your national team might play are completely different pending on whether it scores a 1st or 2nd place in its group stage. So only organized tours which have agreements to "exchange" accomodation make it viable to follow your team without spending a fortune on last minute reservations.

Regardless of that, US have a huge air transportation network and no home (living in US) fan would have problems to find appropriate flights to follow their national team.
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #1876
geoone

Likes (Received): 4

Wow, absolutely amazing. I can't believe that someone would ask such a doltish & foolhardy question.

But I'm glad that someone was humble enough to supply the extremely obvious & common sense answer.
geoone no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #1877
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
And I can replace my toilet paper with Chicago....
I think Chicago would be too rough for you buddy.
3521usa no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #1878
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

We're talking about the United States. Most large cities have the infrastructure to host, so it comes down to stadiums. All the games should sell out unless you're talking about ridiculous prices. Most people can and will watch on TV. Chicago having a larger TV audience is irrelavent.

As for field dimensions, I don't know how many times this must be stated. The regulation field size is NOT 2x the size of an NFL field. It is much easier to take a few rows out of the bottom of a stadium or cover up some field suites than it is to build multiple entire stadiums or making complete renovations like other countries are having to do. No stadium will be left out because of field dimensions because that is a simple fix.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #1879
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21036

Field dimensions:

NFL - 109.7m X 48.8m

FIFA - 105m X 68m
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #1880
rus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6