daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #1881
CaliforniaJones
Registered User
 
CaliforniaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Orange County
Posts: 372
Likes (Received): 255

These are two lists of stadiums for a WC

List A

Atlanta (70 868 places): QF
Boston (74 000): QF
Dallas (91 600): R16, 3rd place Game
Denver (75 165): QF
Houston (76 000): QF
Kansas City (75 364): R16
Los Angeles (94 542): 3rd US Game, R16, Final
Miami (80 240): R16
New York (84 000): Opening Game, R16, SF
Phoenix (71 362): R16
Seattle (68 000): R16
Washington DC (90 000): 2nd US Game, SF

Mean: 79 262 places => 5 072 752 spectators

List B

Boston (73 393): QF
Dallas (91 600): R16, 3rd place Game
Denver (75 165): QF
Houston (76 000): QF
Indianapolis (66 500): R16
Los Angeles (94 542): 3rd US Game, R16, Final
Miami (80 240): R16
Nashville (75 000): QF
New York (84 000): Opening Game, R16, SF
Phoenix (71 362): R16
Seattle (68 000): R16
Washington DC (90 000): 2nd US Game, SF

Mean: 78 964 places => 5 053 696 spectators
__________________
My Globe-Trotter network
http://gttravel.ning.com
CaliforniaJones está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #1882
TampaMike
Oh Hey!
 
TampaMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,039
Likes (Received): 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I'll answer it for him. Chicago is the nation's third largest city and a massive television market. It has a downtown stadium adjacent to a large park that sits on the lake, making it perfect for a fan fest. It is also the largest city in an underrepresented region and home to the USSF headquarters. Tampa is a decent sized city, but not as big as Chicago. It doesn't have the international recognition of Chicago, it doesn't have the soccer history of Chicago and it is not the largest city in its own state, let alone region.

There are two things that held Chicago back. They didn't want to guarantee $10 million and Soldier Field is only 61,000. As a city comparison though, Chicago is superior to Tampa in terms of WC hosting. That said, I have no issue whatsoever with Tampa. I like the city, but it doesn't measure up to Chicago for this.
I knew I would had expected "Chicago is a bigger city BS". Doesn't matter! If Raymond James Stadium can fill up more people than Soldier Field, which means more tickets and more $$$, they're going to pick the larger stadium. Tampa has done a amazing job at hosting 4 Super Bowls, 2 in the past decade. I even have heard rumors of the city hosting the event in 2015 or 2015 again due to the great work the city puts in to the Super Bowl and all the Fan Fests, late night parties, and family festivities. If we can host a Super Bowl, I doubt a World Cup would be much of a challenge.

If the Summer Olympics has the same mindset as you, kiss good bye any chance of Chicago hosting. Because it's obvious New York City is the largest city, has more international recognition, and blah blah blah.

Tampa has every right to host a World Cup event, if it is the finals or not. Making the case that Chicago's population density>Tampa's population density proves nothing.
__________________
Corporations Are People Too - Mitt Romney
For the People that dress up like Corporations.
TampaMike no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #1883
geoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 264
Likes (Received): 4

Comparing the FIFA World Cup soccer to the Superbowl is apples & oranges.

In a nation, like the United States, where soccer is mainly an afterthought, FIFA is gonna want enough generated interest to make the tournament here a success. Which is mainly the big selling point of a U.S. bid anyway: Too further promote soccer in a country where soccer is not even the nation's number 2 or even number 3 sport.

Why do you think there's so many U.S. Northeast locations. Because those are huge markets in this country & FIFA would like to reach as many people as possible, so the huge markets are not "irrelevant". Chicago would be IN if the city wanted to be part of the U.S. bid, but apparently they don't. Besides, it's not like Solider Field is sub-par or something. The stadium totally meets FIFA guidelines.

If there are further cuts, which it looks like there will be (since 18 is way too many for a FIFA WC), Tampa, Houston, Kansas City, Nashville & Baltimore are probably going to be nixed next, since there's already much better representation & more soccer fans in other cites in those same regions, like Miami, Dallas, NYC, Boston & DC than of the other cities listed.

Last edited by geoone; January 18th, 2010 at 07:00 AM.
geoone no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #1884
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
If the Summer Olympics has the same mindset as you, kiss good bye any chance of Chicago hosting. Because it's obvious New York City is the largest city, has more international recognition, and blah blah blah..
Yes, if Chicago had gone up against NYC it likely would have lost out do to NYC being a more prime and larger destination with greater potential reward.

To say that size doesn't matter means to say that as long as Tulsa had a quality stadium that it sure get it every bit as Tampa. Of course such a suggestion is ridiculous. Anyway, its a moot point as Chicago has taken itself out of the running anyway.

Quote:
Tampa has every right to host a World Cup event, if it is the finals or not. Making the case that Chicago's population density>Tampa's population density proves nothing
I am all for Tampa being in the last twelve but to have Tampa host the final or even semi's would be a pretty major drop of the ball by organizers IMO. As nice as Tampa is it doesn't' have the stature, RJS isn't one of the best US stadiums (OK, not the best), and it is way to muggy with inclement weather in Florida in the summer to risk holding a finals.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #1885
TampaMike
Oh Hey!
 
TampaMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,039
Likes (Received): 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoone View Post
Comparing the FIFA World Cup soccer to the Superbowl is apples & oranges.

In a nation, like the United States, where soccer is mainly an afterthought, FIFA is gonna want enough generated interest to make the tournament here a success. Which is mainly the big selling point of a U.S. bid anyway: Too further promote soccer in a country where soccer is not even the nation's number 2 or even number 3 sport.

Why do you think there's so many U.S. Northeast locations. Because those are huge markets in this country & FIFA would like to reach as many people as possible, so the huge markets are not "irrelevant". Chicago would be IN if the city wanted to be part of the U.S. bid, but apparently they don't. Besides, it's not like Solider Field is sub-par or something. The stadium totally meets FIFA guidelines.
Florida also has a large Hispanic population, which many are interested in soccer above football and baseball. I believe if Tampa gets to host a game, you'll see a large interest from Hispanics and from other markets.

One thing that I have overlooked is the great location Tampa is with Orlando out. Tampa will be in 80 degree weather, the gulf will be at 80 degrees, and the time of the World Cup is our quiet time when it comes to tropical systems. I would expect that many of the visitors would head to Orlando for one or two days, but most of the time they'll stay in the Tampa Bay area. And by the time the World Cup comes, we'll have light rail in the city.

The fact that Tampa wants this more than Chicago is big enough. Maybe you guys should be complaining to the ones that caused this and not bashing a city that will likely host a World Cup game and not you.
__________________
Corporations Are People Too - Mitt Romney
For the People that dress up like Corporations.
TampaMike no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #1886
TampaMike
Oh Hey!
 
TampaMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,039
Likes (Received): 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Yes, if Chicago had gone up against NYC it likely would have lost out do to NYC being a more prime and larger destination with greater potential reward.
But that would mean that everytime the USA has a chance for the Olympics, NYC should be the obvious location due to NYC being bigger and better than Chicago. No city in the USA should get the Olympics except for NYC due to its greater population and television market. Would Chicago be happy with that? Dallas? L.A.? I think not.

Quote:
To say that size doesn't matter means to say that as long as Tulsa had a quality stadium that it sure get it every bit as Tampa. Of course such a suggestion is ridiculous. Anyway, its a moot point as Chicago has taken itself out of the running anyway.
But Tulsa doesn't have a better quality stadium to Tampa. If it did, then I wouldn't mind Tulsa being picked over Tampa. Yeah it would suck, but it would mean Tampa should do more the next time to attract the attention not only to FIFA, but for other similar size events.



Quote:
I am all for Tampa being in the last twelve but to have Tampa host the final or even semi's would be a pretty major drop of the ball by organizers IMO. As nice as Tampa is it doesn't' have the stature, RJS isn't one of the best US stadiums (OK, not the best), and it is way to muggy with inclement weather in Florida in the summer to risk holding a finals.
Oh of course Raymond James Stadium isn't the best designed stadium and isn't the largest. And would Tampa be given the final game? Never. But semifinal I could see happening, but they'll pick the larger stadiums because it means more cash revenue. And Tampa's weather is actually pretty nice around June and July. It's not that muggy comapred to August and September and you don't see much "pop-up" thuderstorms until August.
__________________
Corporations Are People Too - Mitt Romney
For the People that dress up like Corporations.
TampaMike no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #1887
geoone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 264
Likes (Received): 4

For starters, I (nor anyone else for that matter) wasn't "bashing" any city. You're the one who came in here out of nowhere saying that you would "replace your 'toilet paper' with Chicago". So if there's any city bashing going on here, it's clearly coming from you.

And why are you assuming that I'm from Chicago, since actually I'm not. It's just common sense with all of this. At least with anyone who has any inclination of what's going on & what's being talked about here.

And yes, Florida does have a large Hispanic population which are very much into soccer. But with Miami (South Florida) in the mix this time around, which has the biggest Hispanic population in the state, they'll, I'm sure get the nod over Tampa, when it comes down to making further cuts, since 2 Florida locations is too much representation on a smaller, population wise, regional basis.
geoone no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #1888
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaMike View Post
But that would mean that every time the USA has a chance for the Olympics, NYC should be the obvious location due to NYC being bigger and better than Chicago. No city in the USA should get the Olympics except for NYC due to its greater population and television market. Would Chicago be happy with that? Dallas? L.A.? I think not..
Unless there is a real compelling reason that Chicago puts forth or to not award NYC then if NYC wants it then all things being equal it would make sense to let NYC try to win the international bid.

Quote:
But Tulsa doesn't have a better quality stadium to Tampa. If it did, then I wouldn't mind Tulsa being picked over Tampa. Yeah it would suck, but it would mean Tampa should do more the next time to attract the attention not only to FIFA, but for other similar size events.
Well, I think visitors, sponsors, and organizers would feel different about having Tulsa be just as likely a host of a game as Tampa. There is simply a better atmosphere and more money (more on the corporate side) to be had in Tampa compared to Tulsa.
Quote:
Oh of course Raymond James Stadium isn't the best designed stadium and isn't the largest. And would Tampa be given the final game? Never. But semifinal I could see happening, but they'll pick the larger stadiums because it means more cash revenue. And Tampa's weather is actually pretty nice around June and July. It's not that muggy compared to August and September and you don't see much "pop-up" thunderstorms until August
Compared to most of the US (Northeast, Midwest, West) the weather in Tampa anytime in the summer has the potential to royally suck. The average high in June and July is 90 and low is 78 with 7inches or rain. I don't think those numbers should disqualify it from hosting a game but I do think they work against the metro in terms of hosting prime games.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”

Last edited by nomarandlee; January 18th, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #1889
rolo1984
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 0

I'm from England and of course I want us to host 2018 but USA is my choice to stage 2022....but what a blow to not use Chicago's Soldier Field! Not only is it the sexiest stadium I have ever seen, it is steaped in history! I like the plans for Miami's Landshark stadium, & i think Los Angeles needs to sort out a stadium - The Rose Bowl looks past it to be honest, but apart from that the stadiums in America are like 'WOW!'

How popular is football in th US now btw? because in 1994 a lot of players said that the majority of the american didnt even know the WC was on, which is insane!
rolo1984 no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #1890
MicroX
Registered User
 
MicroX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 319
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoone View Post
And yes, Florida does have a large Hispanic population which are very much into soccer. But with Miami (South Florida) in the mix this time around, which has the biggest Hispanic population in the state, they'll, I'm sure get the nod over Tampa, when it comes down to making further cuts, since 2 Florida locations is too much representation on a smaller, population wise, regional basis.
But a large part of them despise soccer, unfortunately, and just prefer to go along with the traditional American sports. However, I think that part of the Hispanic population that loves soccer will get Miami to host some games for the WC.
MicroX no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #1891
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

The City of Pasadena is exploring a renovation to the Rose Bowl at the moment. They have preliminary plans and have begun conducting surveys to judge what to include in the renovation and what to exclude. They've yet to decide on exactly what the renovation will include, but it appears that it will be fairly major. Currently, the plan is to do it over three springs/summers so UCLA can still play there each fall and it can host the Rose Bowl with a 2014 completion date, in time for the 100th Rose Bowl.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1892
JYDA
Registered User
 
JYDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,173
Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
The City of Pasadena is exploring a renovation to the Rose Bowl at the moment. They have preliminary plans and have begun conducting surveys to judge what to include in the renovation and what to exclude. They've yet to decide on exactly what the renovation will include, but it appears that it will be fairly major. Currently, the plan is to do it over three springs/summers so UCLA can still play there each fall and it can host the Rose Bowl with a 2014 completion date, in time for the 100th Rose Bowl.
how about a 2nd deck to make a 140,000 seat mega stadium. that would be a good world cup carrot
JYDA no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #1893
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
how about a 2nd deck to make a 140,000 seat mega stadium. that would be a good world cup carrot
Haha, I think UCLA would frown upon that. I think right now they're looking at making it an all-seater, but the focus of the renovation is to improve the exterior some and most importantly, massively upgrade the luxury seats. The luxury suites would be overhauled, club seats would be put in, premium seats would go in and there would be a host of clubs/lounges for these preferred guests. If what I'm hearing is correct, they will lose about 4,000 seats by going to an all-seater, but would get about 5,000 in the massive luxury seating increase. Suites would go from 8-12 people to 16-20 people. Club and premium seats would increase capacity, plus there would be an additional seating area. Capacity would be about 95,000, but everything is very tentative right now and is certain to change a lot.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #1894
JYDA
Registered User
 
JYDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,173
Likes (Received): 94

It's a shame that UCLA don't have their own on-campus stadium
JYDA no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #1895
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
It's a shame that UCLA don't have their own on-campus stadium
Three times we were so close to getting it done. Time #1, the funding was approved, but LA was awarded the 1932 Olympics and the Coliseum was built so the state pulled funding for UCLA's, saying there was already going to be a stadium for them. Time #2, there was mass support following UCLA's national title in 1954, but a member of the Board of Regents put a halt to the talk of building it thanks to a host of political issues that had nothing to do with the subject. Drake Stadium was built where the football stadium would have gone, just steps from Pauley Pavilion. Time #3, the students said no to a $.50 fee increase that would have paid for it because it was the 60's and any government expansions were opposed. The vote failed by less than 20 votes.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #1896
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
how about a 2nd deck to make a 140,000 seat mega stadium. that would be a good world cup carrot
IMO the Rose Bowl should stay as is. Its just too historic. After all the Rose Bowls that Ive been to, I couldnt imagine it looking any different.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #1897
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

UCLA should move to the new NFL stadium.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #1898
ryebreadraz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,597
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
UCLA should move to the new NFL stadium.
Move to a stadium even farther away from campus where they would be the secondary tenant and have almost no say in what goes on instead of the historic Rose Bowl where they have veto powers, a 25 year lease and guarantees from the city to have upgrades made the way they want them, plus a large chunk of stadium revenue?
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #1899
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Move to a stadium even farther away from campus where they would be the secondary tenant and have almost no say in what goes on instead of the historic Rose Bowl where they have veto powers, a 25 year lease and guarantees from the city to have upgrades made the way they want them, plus a large chunk of stadium revenue?
Roski's new joint will have a much smaller capacity, which would make it much easier for UCLA to sell out, plus more VIP boxes. UCLA's problem, at the moment, is that they're drawing 50-60k in a 95k stadium.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1900
krudmonk
sucks
 
krudmonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 2,265
Likes (Received): 96

But they rely on students and alumni from a campus way across town. Even Pasadena is not that convenient.
krudmonk no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu