daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 12th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #1941
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
While I agree soccer and roofs should be taken seriously, I question your 11 minute number. The clock runs for 60 minutes. Yes theres 25 seconds between plays but 11 minutes is way too short. If you say some of that is from walking, well we both know that at any given time there are individuals on the field in soccer who are walking or standing.
The 11 minute number is accurate. That number was reported about five years ago in Sports Illustrated and again about a month ago in The Wall Street Journal. There is a 40 second play clock, not 25, so that might make it seem more believable to you.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...055561406.html
ryebreadraz no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #1942
Buffalo

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
The 11 minute number is accurate. That number was reported about five years ago in Sports Illustrated and again about a month ago in The Wall Street Journal. There is a 40 second play clock, not 25, so that might make it seem more believable to you.
interesting, never knew that. Soccer and football are much to different to compare. running around is no where near as strenuous as battling in the trenches. also, football is not as much about stamina as it is about durability, as you must be able to get up from hits that most soccer players would be crying over. how much time is actually "played" in a soccer game? Im assuming 90 min (or however long a game is). does stoppage time include ever second that the ball is not in play or only when there are injuries.

Last edited by Buffalo; February 12th, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
Buffalo no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #1943
ryebreadraz

I've read that a soccer player will run anywhere from 6.5 to 7.5 miles in a match.
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #1944
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
interesting, never knew that. Soccer and football are much to different to compare. running around is no where near as strenuous as battling in the trenches. also, football is not as much about stamina as it is about durability, as you must be able to get up from hits that most soccer players would be crying over. how much time is actually "played" in a soccer game? Im assuming 90 min (or however long a game is). does stoppage time include ever second that the ball is not in play or only when there are injuries.
We're talking in the context of playing in extreme heat.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #1945
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I've read that a soccer player will run anywhere from 6.5 to 7.5 miles in a match.
Depending on position, yes. Midfielders probably run the longest.

Quote:
You cannot compare football to soccer. Football is all about short bursts, where soccer is constant. That and football players have several pounds of pads, depending on what pads players forgo.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #1946
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
you must be able to get up from hits that most soccer players would be crying over.
A low pain tolerance is inherent to playing soccer? **** off, kid.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #1947
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1107

^ No it really is. Its about time some Soccer players became men.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #1948
jlch1987

Likes (Received): 0

Well, they do not wear these American football protection gear... X )
jlch1987 no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #1949
Highveld Lion

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlch1987 View Post
Well, they do not wear these American football protection gear... X )
Play rugby our balls are bigger than yours.
No seriously, I rather be in shape like Drogba or Thierry Henry than an NFL lineman. Going back to your debate you should remember that if the games in 94 started at mid day was because in Europe it was prime time for TV. If we get the world cup in the USA in the near future it will be the same. Games at 11/12 and 14/15pm to accomodate the European Tv viewers. It should not matter because stadiums like Reliant and Cowboy stadiums will be closed with air conditioning.
Highveld Lion no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #1950
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highveld Lion View Post
Play rugby our balls are bigger than yours.
No seriously, I rather be in shape like Drogba or Thierry Henry than an NFL lineman. Going back to your debate you should remember that if the games in 94 started at mid day was because in Europe it was prime time for TV. If we get the world cup in the USA in the near future it will be the same. Games at 11/12 and 14/15pm to accomodate the European Tv viewers. It should not matter because stadiums like Reliant and Cowboy stadiums will be closed with air conditioning.
Exactly. The schedules can be set up so the mid-day matches in the most extreme of heat are played in stadiums with roofs or in places like Seattle, where it is cooler.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #1951
Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
A low pain tolerance is inherent to playing soccer? **** off, kid.

they look pretty tough. i think this is the biggest turnoff to soccer, at least for me.

Last edited by Buffalo; February 15th, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Buffalo no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #1952
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:

they look pretty tough. i think this is the biggest turnoff to soccer, at least for me.
Go drive your monster truck over your house and leave the civilized people to proper discourse.

Oh, and learn how to tag.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #1953
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Peter Crouch, surprisingly, covers around 10-12 miles per match. Benitez had some pro zone stats on him to shush his critics.

There are players who cover more than Crouch. Fabregas, Gattuso, ect.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #1954
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Peter Crouch, surprisingly, covers around 10-12 miles per match. Benitez had some pro zone stats on him to shush his critics.

Are you sure it was miles? I've seen 10-12 kilometers a match, but never miles.
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #1955
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

10-12 miles is impossible imo.
At some matches on television they show the distance covered by a player when he is substituted, and the most I ever saw was 13 km.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #1956
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

If we're straying into tangential conversations, folks, let's be sure to keep it civil.
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #1957
Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Go drive your monster truck over your house and leave the civilized people to proper discourse.

Oh, and learn how to tag.
Sorry, How do you tag a video? I don't understand the monster truck reference. Either way, when is the host country selected. If the US does not win the bid for 2018, is 2022 likely to be held here? I hope because i would love to see a real soccer game in person. Let's go USA(in the olympics and in the bid)
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1958
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post

I think you meant kilometers, not miles. 10km is 6m, so that makes sense. I know that at the last MLS Cup Kyle Beckerman covered over 9 miles, but he's a center mid.
metros11 no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #1959
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbanha View Post
YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF ROMARIO AND MARADONA?
I can understand that, most Europeans would not be able to name a single baseball or NFL-player either.

About the weather, i remember the world cup final 94 being a low paced big bore probably because of the extreme hot weather. It's a reason the European football season is fall/spring.
Maybe if the USA gets the world cup again the final should go to an indoor arena with aircondition? Or maybe the games should go later in the evening local time? I know it's a problem for European Tv but probably better for other continents. I remember the world cup in Mexico 1986 many of the games played late nights in Europe.
Hansadyret está en línea ahora  
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #1960

Likes (Received): 1439

The summer of 94 was extremly hot everywhere. I dosen't necessarily have to be the same next time around.
1772 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup