daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Skylines

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Rate the skyline
10 13 9.49%
9.5 0 0%
9 4 2.92%
8.5 3 2.19%
8 14 10.22%
7.5 9 6.57%
7 16 11.68%
6.5 17 12.41%
6 17 12.41%
5.5 4 2.92%
5 14 10.22%
4.5 9 6.57%
4 5 3.65%
3.5 6 4.38%
Below 3.5 6 4.38%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 20th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #21
dcb11
Blue Devil

Likes (Received): 4

I understand your confusion, AcesHigh. I'm using the most up-to-date data I can find. The official census estimate for Raleigh's population on July 1, 2002 (if there are more up-to-date data, I can't find it) is 306,944, as I stated.

Population Estimates

The city has probably moved up a few spots since it has a higher growth rate then almost all of the cities in the US larger than it. (About the same growth rate as Charlotte and Phoenix!)

Your confusion is based on one thing: metropolitan areas. The way cities work in the US is very different than the way they work in Brazil. In the US, metro differ largely from place to place in the way they are organized. City population is largely arbitrary.

Okay, this is a little complex. Raleigh incorporates areas that are what we would call both urban and suburban. Thus, its population is somewhat large, but thats about all there is in terms of metro area (not counting Durham and Chapel Hill). On the other hand, some metro areas have small central cities, but huge suburban populations outside of city limits, usually in other, smaller cities or towns.

Raleigh-Durham is tough to use because it has multiple urban centers, so I'll simplify this a little. My hometown, Columbus Ohio, has 711,470 people. This makes it the 15th largest city in the the US. It incorporates all kinds of areas, and takes up a huge amount of space. Furthermore, it is always annexing new areas (something which, i believe, is fairly rare in brazil, but I may be wrong). There are suburbs, but not as many people live there as live in the city of Columbus. Columbus is not really the 15th largest metro area, just the 15th largest city. Its technically the largest city in Ohio. However, Cleveland has more than twice the metro population of Columbus. But, in the Cleveland area, a majority of the people live in suburban cities.

There are extreme legal cases that also skew the system. For example, sometimes cities merge with their counties, thereby making the whole metro area one city. This is why Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida, even though Miami is a much larger metro area. On the other hand, some cities are pretty much confined to a specific area. San Francisco and St. Louis are examples of this. Neither city annexes territory. They are both relatively small, but have HUGE metropolitan populations. San Fran is, in fact, about the size of Columbus, but its MUCH larger than that in metro area, and people think of it as a big city, even though technically it isn't. This is because the city of San Fran only includes the central area of the metro area, and does not include areas like San Jose, Oakland, and the many suburbs.

An obvious example of a city being legally confined to a small space is Washington DC. This city has a huge suburban population in Maryland and Virginia, but the city itself if confined to a small area set aside in the 1700's (The District of Columbia).

One more example. I'm sure you know that Atlanta has one of the largest metro areas in the nation. However, its only the 40th largest city! Again, this is because in this particular metro area, a majority of the people live in areas outside the city limits of Atlanta.

In conclusion, for better or worse, city boundaries are largely arbitrary in the US. The way city boundaries work differs from place to place. There are many reasons for this, often just being based on the historical nature and culture of a city. Some cities have easily definable borders, like those in Europe (and I think Brazil), while others are much more organic, growing entities. Suburban population is not predictable by looking at the central city population. Hell, Boston's city population is smaller than that of Columbus, but you'll never convince a Bostonian that Columbus is larger, except in a technical sense.

Basic point- City population is basically meaningless in terms of a city's feel and "true size" in the US. If you want to really consider which "cities" are the biggest, look only at metro population.
dcb11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2003, 12:00 AM   #22
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 7958

thanks for the lenghty explanation. As for cities "anexxing" other areas its exactly the contrary in Brasil. Big municipalities sometimes have far away neighborhoods that evolve like a independant urban nucleus, so many times the main city where the executive and legislative power of the city seats is not able to rightly supply the demands of that nucleus, so such nucleus emancipates from the main city, becoming another municipality. This happens a lot. Thats why my state has 680 municipalities
AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 02:27 AM   #23
dcb11
Blue Devil

This is something that rarely happens in the US. There are a few cases of this, but usually places don't secede from a city. The San Fernando Valley is an exception to this. They attempted to secede from Los Angeles, but the motion to do this failed with voters. It happens every once in a while, but its not as systematic as the system you are describing. Its more likely to see big cities swallow up suburbs, or at least unincorporated suburban areas. An huge example of this is when New York and Brooklyn merged. That more than doubled the size of NYC.
Old November 21st, 2003, 08:38 AM   #24
SeeMacau

Likes (Received): 1764

Poor skyline of it's size, need some more buildings

7.5/10
SeeMacau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #25
Schroedinger's Cat
Krakus rodowity

Likes (Received): 6

small but quite nice
6/10
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:55 AM   #26
weirdo
helter skelter

Likes (Received): 296

i do not like the tall building. decent skyline. 5/10
Old April 11th, 2004, 03:42 AM   #27
Orfeo

Likes (Received): 77

5/10
Orfeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #28
JTS LOU
BOOMIN

Likes (Received): 0

not bad but for about 1,360,000 in the metro it could be better but I guess its understandable with Durham on the other side. It will grow as the population is doing now 5.5/10

Last edited by JTS LOU; July 16th, 2004 at 03:06 AM.
JTS LOU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 05:09 AM   #29
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Umm. No. This is a disgrace.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #30
dj_metroid

Likes (Received):

average....5/10
Old August 14th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #31
dcb11
Blue Devil

Again, this is not a great skyline, but the real heart of the metro area is in Research Triangle Park, the nation's largest research park. RDU is the nations 4th fastest growing metro area (tied with Atlanta).
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #32
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

I gave it 6.5/10. I live in Raleigh and work downtown, and while I will be the first to say that DT Raleigh is a nice place to be, the skyline needs some serious work. Some infills are about to eliminate several parking lots and low-rises, but nothing is going to make a huge difference in the skyline. The largest proposal is a 34, or 37 (depending on who you ask) story tower, which will become Raleigh's new tallest. Alas, it won't alter the core's image, but it's location will help boost another area of DT Raleigh and create a second skyline, to the West, in parallel with the existing one. Anyway, DT Raleigh's skyline is nothing to write home about, but the area isn't bad at all.

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #33
UrbanDesigner

Likes (Received): 1

Not as great as it should be. Blame the planning departments and politicans for allowing the Triangle to become a sprawled out mess.
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:38 PM   #34
SChristopher

I see no picture...
SChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:10 AM   #35
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

from this angle, it looks small for its population, but still it looks to have a decent size...

but it looks even smaller from the air, since the tallest building in the front and the black one in the back, which seem to be distant, from the air, are just 2 blocks apart... or even less...
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:26 AM   #36
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

here are some pictures of my city... it has 240.000 people. And thats all. I mean, there is no metro area at all! I know Brasil had a completely different way of building cities. We have many more residentials. But I guess Raleigh, for its pop, could also have some highrise residentials. Why not? And some more commercial highrises. You dont even need really tall towers to have a cool skyline. Several 20-30 highrises already give you a great effect in a skyline.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=130106

is the above downtown? Of course not. Just a part of a residential neighborhood. In this picture you can see the north area of downtown

here the entire downtown area
Old October 16th, 2004, 01:30 AM   #37
ralex231

Likes (Received): 1

About the size of the Skyline

I live in Raleigh the reason why the skyline is so small is because, the economy in the area is based on Research Triangle Park. Over 52 big name companies employ people in the region. It is a center of technology and medicine research. Also the pictures you are seeing are not updated there are several more buildings under construction and a few that are already finished.
ralex231 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #38
james2390

Likes (Received): 33

8.5/10
james2390 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #39
SoboleuS
Homo Masoviensis

Likes (Received): 2401

The buildings are quite nice, but skyline is really average. 6/10
SoboleuS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #40
hauntedheadnc
...wolf in cheap clothing

Likes (Received): 107

I agree with the average rankings. Downtown Raleigh is as dead as a hammer, featuring a sparse skyline and grotesque government buildings including perhaps America's ugliest historic capital building. To its credit, Raleigh is the repository of this state's outstanding wealth of museums, but to its discredit, some of those museums... *cough* North Carolina Museum of Art *cough*, are located in the middle of nowhere in buildings that look like insurance company headquarters.

Better than just plain average, but not by much. 6.