daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Ελληνικός Κόσμος | Hellenic Cosmos > Περιφέρειες της Ελλάδος | Peripheries of Greece

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #1
gorgos
Μπιουτιφοooυλ...

Likes (Received): 2

ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥΠΟΛΗ | Alexandroupoli - projects and construction

Howdy people,

Behold and see the project I have been developing for the past year.

It is an appartmentbuilding at a square with the Agios Eleftherios church in the center of Alexandroupoli. It will encompass 8 appartments varying in size (top 2 appartments are duplex with a retiree). Construction starts in 3 months.

The concept is:

Instead of building a tower of 7 stories, I follow the neighbouring 4 stories height. However, I am not adding more balconies/chaos to the street scenery, but am adding loggias instead. These loggias (imipaithrious xorous) form togheter a volume that cantilevers 3 meter above its base (pilotis) and forms a powerful architectural gesture. The thickness of the floors is concealed by the use of sharp edges in the facade. You can find these sharp edges also in the vertical walls. The facade uses a system that alters on every level its direction/orientation, in order to create a repitition. The safetybarrier for the loggias will be structural glass (2x10mm) fixed invisibly only at the bottom.

Hope you guys like it. It has been blood/sweat/tears and I really tried to find a new typology and architecture from the usual stuff we have seen way to many times in Greece.

Last edited by gorgos; October 23rd, 2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: addition of an updated 3d model
gorgos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Almopos
Marg bar NIMBY's

Likes (Received): 361

Gorgos I have to congratulate you. This is a beautifully designed building. Like the fact that it does not have any balconies!

Hope to see more of this type of appartment buildings all over Greece! Great job!
Almopos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Reaper-strain
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Very nice,.
Reaper-strain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:24 PM   #4
AEK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Like the fact that it does not have any balconies!
===============================================
Plaka mas kaneis?
AEK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:11 AM   #5
ellis896
SE™-Πόντιος κι έναν ομάτ!

xwris na thelw na thi3w tpt...edw sto UK idi arxisan kai "vazoun" mpalkonia stis nees kataskeves tous kai ekei stin Ellada ta thelete vgalmena?!!!!

Θ Ε Σ Σ Α Λ Ο Ν Ι Κ Η ! ! T H E S S A L O N I K I !
Η ανθρωποτητα δεν παει μπροστα αναπωλοντας το παρελθον, παει μπροστα
ζωντας το παρον και βρισκοντας τροπους να κανει καλυτερο το μελλον.
ellis896 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 10:01 AM   #6
gorgos
Μπιουτιφοooυλ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis896 View Post
xwris na thelw na thi3w tpt...edw sto UK idi arxisan kai "vazoun" mpalkonia stis nees kataskeves tous kai ekei stin Ellada ta thelete vgalmena?!!!!
The loggias are 3.00 meters deep, 5.50 meters wide and 3.20 meters high at the tip. I think you get the feeling of being on a balconny anyway with those sizes, partly also because the space opens up towards the outside. Another thing is you have a feeling of privacy.

Anyway, I was sort of fed up with the normal formula. All those balconies give a feeling of chaos on the street. They give the impression of a vertical fleamarket when everybody puts their 5 euro plastic chair on it. I have made an attempt to design a 3dimensional facade. Give a building the sense of being a volume again, instead of a bunch of horizontal slabs sticking out on the street.

On the rear of the building there are "traditional" balconies.
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM   #7
ellis896

they will put a 5 euro chair out,not the 100 euro one
anyway,im not saying its bad,but I can't live in a house with no balconies.
im lucky cause where i live now has something like a veranta where my room is.

Old June 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Ares_K
♫♫♫ ♫♫ ♫

Likes (Received): 6

I can not live in a house without a balcony, or a veranda to be exact, either. I spend a lot of time there, mostly in summer with friends. Without it, i would never, ever buy it.

Can you possibly imagine staying inside in summer with just the air condition, trapped in your own home? I have my plants, flowers, a table , some chairs and with some good company, what else do i need? I am not a fish living in an aquarium, i need space, real outdoor space.
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM   #9
gorgos
Μπιουτιφοooυλ...

[QUOTE=Ares_K;21313145]
Can you possibly imagine staying inside in summer with just the air condition, trapped in your own home? QUOTE]

You do realize the imipaithrios xoros is 100% outdoorspace, no? Its 12m2. It has a glass barrier of 1.00m in height.

Personnally I think thats quite luxurious for a 1 bedroom apartment with a balconny at the rear (first 3 floors), but of course opinions can differ. The top 2 apartments have a the same imipaithrios xoros on the 4th floor + 2 balconnies at the rear + roofterrace of 35m2 each on the fifth floor.
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM   #10
arxeos

Likes (Received): 265

If there where parks that wouldnt be a problem
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:18 PM   #11
Ares_K
♫♫♫ ♫♫ ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxeos View Post
If there where parks that wouldnt be a problem
Yes it would. In fact, my home in Athens is in front of a park. It is Friday night, friends or my girlfriend come to my home, we go out to the veranda, eat, talk, some times up to 2 or 3 am. I think you say that, because this is a part of Greek way of living that you do not understand. I will not go to the park with my friends or girlfriend!! I would do that if i lived with my parents, i was cheating my wife or if i was a pervert

@gorgos
I understand what you are saying, but this is not for me and , i can only speak for myself. "Imipaithrios xoros " for me is a well with walls of concrete and some green at the bottom. Or, that is how is understand it. I find it depressive, but that is just me. Others may see it differently.
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:48 PM   #12
gorgos
Μπιουτιφοooυλ...

You really need balls in Greece as a projectdeveloper when you try to innovate. Spain/Portugal/Brazil/Argentina are much more experimental when it comes to searching for new typologies.

Of course it is very possible you feel the need for a balconny in the tradional sense. However, in order to celebrate diversity, what do you feel could be positive aspects of approaching apartmentblocks in this non-traditional way? Surely, especially seen from the exterior, you also must have grown a bit bored with the city landscape of the greek cities?
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:14 PM   #13
Ares_K
♫♫♫ ♫♫ ♫

Yes, i do not like the usual narrow unattractive balconies. But i would look for ways to improve them, not abandon the idea all together. Apart from people driving or walking the streets watching the buildings around them, there are also the people that live inside them. And the value of going "outside" for a second to take a breath, even of a not so clean air is greatly underestimated.

Architecture deals with a subject which is more closely connected with the human factor, than any other scientific/artistic endeavour other than medicine. But often, the human factor takes the back seat. Is it ok for a building to be aesthetically pleasing if it does not serve the needs of its inhabitants? Or, if it is aesthetically pleasing and at the same time serves the needs of those who pass them by and of those who live in it, what is the golden rule in that case? What is the golden compromise?

You bet your job is difficult Even more because it will be judged both by experts and non experts like me, as well as from those who will live in those buildings.
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM   #14
arxeos

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares_K View Post
I will not go to the park with my friends or girlfriend!! I would do that if i lived with my parents, i was cheating my wife or if i was a pervert
Ok
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM   #15
Ares_K
♫♫♫ ♫♫ ♫

Yes, i agree. That is what happens when you isolate a sentence out of its context.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM   #16
Almopos
Marg bar NIMBY's

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEK View Post
Like the fact that it does not have any balconies!
===============================================
Plaka mas kaneis?
Actually no. I realise that balconies are an integral part of the Greek way of life but I like the design because its different.

I live in a country were many appartment buildings do not have balconies or have only small ones and were the design of the buildings is just bad.
Almopos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM   #17
gorgos
Μπιουτιφοooυλ...

to all loggia-lovers around the world:

Last edited by gorgos; June 3rd, 2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:32 PM   #18
AEK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almopos View Post
Actually no. I realise that balconies are an integral part of the Greek way of life but I like the design because its different.

I live in a country were many appartment buildings do not have balconies or have only small ones and were the design of the buildings is just bad.
You may like buildings without balconies but in Greece it's imposible.

I would say that mostly in northern countries you simply don't need balconies cause of shady weather all the time.
AEK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM   #19
ellis896

if you dont like balconies people build windows on them and make the balcony a room!!!!!
anyway..are there in Greece buildings like the one gorgos made?

Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:36 AM   #20
veriacity

I like the design, something different from the usual, i would like to see some more of your designs
veriacity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: