daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Φωτογραφίες και Πολιτισμός | Photography and Culture > Φωτογραφίες από όλο τον κόσμο | Around the World

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #21
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Since this is kind of the Aussie Greek diaspora thread that is kind of mixed in theme, I'll post this here. A plaque at the Migration Museum in Adelaide, commemorating the Pontian genocide.

Not only did the state parliament recognize it, they recognise the Armenian, Assyrian, and other Christian minorities. I would have thought Melbourne would have beat us to the punch though, given they have a much much larger Greek population.
1821 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #22
the daydreamer

Likes (Received): 1

1821, thank you for that plaque. A lot of people still are not aware of that genocide, even though many US States, Australia, and other governments have recognized it.
Not recognizing the Greek Pontic genocide should be considered a crime, the same way as not recognizing the Jewish genocide (Holocaust) or the Armenian genocide.
the daydreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #23
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 52

maybe with the Muslim genocide in Morea betwen 1821-1828, turkish genoicde in Macedonia in 1912, and Crete and real ethnic cleansing attempts during the occupation in between 1919-1922 and Turkish massacres at the black sea with the Karavangelis rebelion.. Good idea
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #24
Arxitektonas
Architect Engineer

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci View Post
maybe with the Muslim genocide in Morea betwen 1821-1828, turkish genoicde in Macedonia in 1912, and Crete and real ethnic cleansing attempts during the occupation in between 1919-1922 and Turkish massacres at the black sea with the Karavangelis rebelion.. Good idea
Man I thought you were smart...But maybe I trust too easily people...Genocides got nothing to do with the killings during a war and the massive expulsion or killings of people during war operations...Nobody said that the killing of the Greeks in Izmir (Smyrni) by the Turkish army was a genocide, because it was conducted during a war, so it cannot be counted as a genocide. The thing is that the Pontic genocide was conducted during a series of years that there was no war, and it was conducted to unarmed and unfit for war population...Learn the difference...
Nobody said that the Greeks didn't kill or massacre people during wars. We didn't and we don't claim to be saints. But we didn't do genocides like you did to unarmed people during peace time, a thing that is 100% contrary to the international law. That's the fundamental difference. The examples you give are of cases during wars. It's got nothing to do with the case of the Armenian or the Pontic genocides, which are totally different cases, because they were of massive scale, they were conducted to unarmed people and they were done during peace times.

Last edited by Arxitektonas; September 24th, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
Arxitektonas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #25
BANNED

Quote:
At least now we know why you posted your thread; Why some coutries pay more for the EU and some countries get so much?.

Another difference Arxitektonas is that the genocides were conducted to eradicate a specific ethnic group in the population. The killings during the wars which saw the liberation of the Balkan countries, while they shouldn't be condoned, were people rebelling against the oppressor and occupier.
We are talking about genocide conducted by a state and its apparatus' and killings which were done in the heat of battle. Two totally different and non-comparable situations.

It's not like the Greek state goes out of it's way to ethnically cleanse Turks or Greek Muslims from Thrace. The same which can not be said about the Turkish state which proved it was interested in just that in 1955.

What is there, a 3,000 or so Greek community left in Turkey? Funny how on Wiki it has almost doubled...like a lot of other thing's have been changed.

I better stop now before I get brigged again for having a bad attitude, because you know kuvacis attitude above is a real ray of sunshine.
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #26
Arxitektonas
Architect Engineer

Likes (Received): 47

true...the genocides of Armenians, Greeks and Assyrians were the same as the Jewish genocide, because they were acts against unarmed people of a certain ethnic/religious groups in order to exterminate them...that's why they're called genocides...
Arxitektonas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #27
NickyF
BANNED

Notice to Greek Australians :-

Tonight at 8.30pm AEST on ABC 1, the two part documentary titled ATHENS:The Truth About Democracy. will screen.

The Program Guide reads:

Historian Bethany Hughes explores the golden age of Ancient Athens, the city heralded as the birthplace of democracy. But did Athenian life really live upto it reputation?

I've seen Bethany Hughes' other documentary on Ancient Sparta , she's very passionate and informative.
NickyF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #28
LEAFS FANATIC

Likes (Received): 244

Quote:
GET LOST.

Historical revisionism is not wanted or welcome here.
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #29
BANNED

The first Greek to settle in South Australia was Georgios Tramountanas, who arrived in Port Adelaide in 1842, just 6 years after the colony of S.A was founded.

Georgios worked for a time at Peake’s Winery at Clarendon, now known as the Old Clarendon Winery. He also worked on the steamer “The Admella” in 1857 for 12 months, finishing up just before his marriage to Lydia Vosper in 1858.

Before his wedding, he changed his name to George North and both he and Lydia changed religion to Roman Catholic, Lydia from Church of England and George from Greek Orthodox, as he was the first Greek, there was no Greek Orthodox church at that time.

Soon after, George & Lydia moved to Port Lincoln, where they stayed for a short time until they obtained a pastoral lease on a property at Green Patch, just out of Port Lincoln.

Here their 2 sons were born, first George Henry in 1861, then Hero Clare the following year.

In the mid to late 1860’s, the family moved to LIttle Swamp a few kilometres west before moving further north in the early 1870’s. George & Lydia, with 2 young sons in tow, drove a team of bullocks across uncharted and roadless territory, to Streaky Bay, where George had found work on a property owned by Mr. W A Hall. George became a Naturalized British Subject in April 1878.

He and his sons were sheep farmers and had properties at Bramfield, Mt Wedge, Collie, Sheringa and Colton. Their son George Henry married Eliza Valkema and Hero Clare married Rosina Boylan, George & Lydia spent their final years at Hero & Rosina’s property at Colton, which they called Newland Grange, the homestead still stands today.

Both George Henry & Eliza and Hero Clare & Rosina had 11 children and some of their descendants still live on the West Coast today.

This is a condensed version of a long history of the FIRST GREEK and his families, who were amongst the early pioneers of this state.

This history can only be made available due to the dilligent research of the late Mrs. Ellen Purcell and the late Mrs. Evelyn Nelson who were both 4th generation descendants and also Cheryl Ann North, who is a 5th generation descendant of George & Lydia North.

The descendants of George & Lydia North, have formed an association they named the Tramountanas-North Association Inc, to honour the efforts of their ancestors and to support multiculturalism and the Greek - Australian connection.
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #30
BANNED

Jacko rocked her world

October 26, 2009 09:10am

ADELAIDE-born guitar goddess Orianthi Panagaris is about to hit the big screen.

The 24-year-old Australian muso is featured heavily in the documentary This Is It, filmed at the rehearsals for Michael Jackson's doomed London comeback shows.

Panagaris was picked by Jackson to play lead guitar in his band for his concerts.

The king of pop died before making it to the stage.

This Is It will be released on Thursday.

Panagaris said she had not yet seen the film.

"It's going to be very hard to sit through and watch," Panagaris told the Boston Herald.

"It was an incredible time in my life, and I'm just so grateful Michael chose me to be part of all of it. I don't know exactly why he picked me, but he watched my YouTube videos and loved them.

"I wish he was still around. He made me believe in myself more, and I learned so much."

Panagaris, who will release her first album, Believe, on Friday week, was a child prodigy. She learned to play the acoustic guitar at six, started playing the electric guitar when she was 11 and left school at 15 to focus on writing songs and performing.

She has performed with guitar greats Steve Vai and Carlos Santana.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...-16601,00.html

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: