daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM   #41
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I told you, what happens to innocent people on other side of motorway, if there is such sort of ramp. Speaking of cutting windshields, I can't imagine that under normal conditions. Cars are pretty rigid nowadays and barriers are usually not very high too. Any link?

@Chris, that car drove around 130 km/h (plus minus 10), but conditions on the road were ocasional very slippery (some ice was forming) and there is pretty tight curve. With less speed than 130 you can do much worse accident, catapulting into middle pillar of sign portal is not the worst thing to happen.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #42
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

This crashbarrier must be on the title of the thread. This looks like in paradise, the beautiful Bulgarian lkae Diakovo near Dupnica and the shiny cashbarrier of the E-79 nationalroad, it is great to have a smooth road, but it is a different experience to drive on a smooth shiny road, I tell you, it´s really a psychedelic experience.
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #43
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Oh no, not this again
But yes, radi, it is as shiny as it possibly can be....
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #44
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
I tell you, it´s really a psychedelic experience.

pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #45
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3444

is it made by Zepter?
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:26 PM   #46
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

I haven't seen the crashbarriers so shiny !
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM   #47
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11129

Italy

Steel

Concrete

Concrete on one side, steel on the other one

Concrete+steel

Some steel barriers of an exit ramp on A22

Steel with bushes

Old July 29th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #48
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

Another type of concrete barrier in Poland. Very old and very rare now.

pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #49
Hezery99

Likes (Received): 134

Malaysia

Steel

image hosted on flickr

Concrete

image hosted on flickr

All pics are taken from this thread. The expressway shown above is E20 Kuala Lumpur - Putrajaya Expressway.
Hezery99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:10 AM   #50
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
Italy

Some steel barriers of an exit ramp on A22

]
Before anybody says "how rusty and unshiny"...this is "Corten" steel. A high tensile and more-expensive-than-usual grade whose main feature is developing such brownish oxide layer which is only a couple of mm thick and that's how far it goes. Underlaying steel maintains high mechanical properties while remaining corrosion free for a long time thus providing low maintenance costs -partly offsetting the higher purchase price - and high safety standards all the time.

Too bad it looks so dull, but that's the approach given by the owners of this particular highway.
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #51
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Shiny crashbarriers on a Bulgarian nationalroad, the new nationalraod stretch starting from the Bulgarian Greek border near Kato Nevrokopi at the Greek site and nevrokopi (Gotse Delchev) at the Bulgarian side.
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #52
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWorld View Post
Before anybody says "how rusty and unshiny"...this is "Corten" steel. A high tensile and more-expensive-than-usual grade whose main feature is developing such brownish oxide layer which is only a couple of mm thick and that's how far it goes. Underlaying steel maintains high mechanical properties while remaining corrosion free for a long time thus providing low maintenance costs -partly offsetting the higher purchase price - and high safety standards all the time.
High tensile steel with so many holes? few mm of corroded steel on every side (steel in metal barriers is usually few mm thick altogether)? hmmm ...
It is more or less ordinary steel, no doubt about it. Strength of barrier is given with form, not material.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #53
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

We have the same types of crash barriers here in Belgium as in the Netherlands. The only additional type of crash barriers we have are these:

Stacked on each other:

They can be quickly put into position for road works, but according to the manufacturer it does require the traffic to slow down to max. 100km/h to ensure safety. Seeing almost all traffic has to slow down to at least 90km/h anyway when they're working on the motorway, that requirement is met.

I've never seen any cable barriers here in Belgium. According to what I read elsewhere it was already deemed way too dangerous for motorcyclists decades ago. The only thing that comes close to it as far as I know is the steel crash barrier on the viaduct of Vilvoorde, where there are also cables within the structure - most likely for added strength.
Hmm... Now that I look at this picture I'm starting to think that cable that I remember there isn't there for added strength. Must be for electricity or something then.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #54
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
High tensile steel with so many holes? few mm of corroded steel on every side (steel in metal barriers is usually few mm thick altogether)? hmmm ...
It is more or less ordinary steel, no doubt about it. Strength of barrier is given with form, not material.
OMG
There is no such thing as ordinary steel!! What's good for you might be bad for me and the way round. in your world (e.g) you need structural performances so you need it hard...in my world I need formability so I need it softer...that's the way steel goes.

Corten is a high -yield (it has a "side" resistence equal or higher if compared to any available grade of carbon steel) and is self passivating. Which means the brown layer protects the core of strips from ageing (brittleness). Plus its chemistry give a good resilience (keeping yield strength at lower temperatures as well)

So, steel can have yield strenghts of 235, 275 or 355 N/mm2 but this will decay with age.

Corten has yield strengths between 355 and 420 and a longer working life.

So the basic steel is better. Holes do not alter resistence in high yield steels. A few mm thickness is what you find in armored vehicles... I totally agree with you that trying to absorb the power with mechanical properties is useless and shape gives way better results. Newer designs aim to disperse energy rather than trying to hold it. But this was the option chosen by the owners of this highway in the 70's. It's a privately owned binational property and I think they must have had their reasons. So far we never had any accident due to vehicles ramming through the barrier...It must be said though that the southernmost stretch of A22 features a wide grass median which helps reducing the speed of stray vehicles.
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #55
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaciej7 View Post
Another type of concrete barrier in Poland. Very old and very rare now.

What year of this crashbarriers is it ? And when they were used ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #56
HindenPeter
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Crash barrier styles in Melbourne Australia:

The barriers in the median here are similar to those in the Netherlands and Belgium....... very rare in Australia. We tend to use Jersey barriers instead.
(image from KIWIKAAS on FLickr)

A typical Victorian freeway concrete+Steel barrier
(image from Daxmairead on Flickr)

Jersey Barrier, Melbourne

Wire rope barriers are common on most Victorian freeways

Newer type of Concrete + steel barrier which is used on all new freeway construction:
HindenPeter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #57
bebe.2006
Ekspert

Likes (Received): 466

Motorway A4 Katowice-Wroclaw after a hurricane last week:

Film: http://www.tvn24.pl/2152256,12690,0,0,1,wideo.html

Last edited by bebe.2006; August 19th, 2008 at 10:37 AM.
bebe.2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #58
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

A tornado
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #59
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #60