daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 21st, 2011, 09:00 PM   #141
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

"Regime afgestemd op Wallonië" ?! :-O

Does Wimpie know? ;-)

And can we assume Wallonia does this too?

There are way fewer permanently-lighted stretches than I expected.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:13 PM   #142
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

I could be wrong, but I think Wallonia already started doing this a couple of years ago.
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:47 PM   #143
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
[img]
However there is a problem as Belgian road markings and reflective signs are very inferior.
It's true ! This summer, when I was coming back to the Île-de-France region, I went through Dutch A67/E34. Big surprise entering the Belgian section of the E34. No lights and almost no reflective marking.

Really horrible to drive by night ! Looks like Belgium didn't prepare to switch off its lighting; that this crisis led to sudden cuts ...

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:08 AM   #144
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

i think the uk is going to all concrete now. i think this is because they are less likely to mean a central reservation crossing, which are always catastrophic. also, as cars get stronger, they care less about not damaging the car as they are safer. car deaths are dropping dramatically in the uk from a low base, and around the world i guess.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:19 AM   #145
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

So Belgians are getting trained for driving on Bulgarian roads at night
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM   #146
muc

Likes (Received): 38

Designed to rust: Barriers made of COR-TEN steel on Autostrada del Brennero (A22) in Italy:

by Tormic http://www.panoramio.com/user/104881...to_id=31175964

This is probably as "unshiny" as it gets.
muc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM   #147
bogdymol
bogdymod

@radi: what do you think of this one?

More pictures here.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:07 PM   #148
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Wow thats very shiny! Even the paint is shiny!
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:52 PM   #149
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Ouch my eyes !

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:27 PM   #150
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Originally Posted by muc View Post
Designed to rust: Barriers made of COR-TEN steel on Autostrada del Brennero (A22) in Italy:

by Tormic http://www.panoramio.com/user/104881...to_id=31175964

This is probably as "unshiny" as it gets.
Ooops, I just logged in to post A22 pics. You were faster, mate.

I haven't seen other Corten steel barriers around. I still wonder whether it's just the cost or people plain thinks it's ugly... It's so distinctive we eventually got to love it.

Last edited by WalkTheWorld; November 22nd, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
WalkTheWorld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:32 PM   #151
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
i think the uk is going to all concrete now. i think this is because they are less likely to mean a central reservation crossing, which are always catastrophic. also, as cars get stronger, they care less about not damaging the car as they are safer. car deaths are dropping dramatically in the uk from a low base, and around the world i guess.
I noticed that, as everybody moves away from New Jersey barriers, the UK is installing them everywhere. Strange. I think this is basically because the road safety regulation clearrly defines the design and shape of steel barriers to a standard which is a bit outdated and weak for our age -pity. Surely steel would help the local economy better and would also look better. PS, kinda hate your "egg-slicers"
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:43 PM   #152
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Its not shiny!!!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:47 PM   #153
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkTheWorld View Post
I haven't seen other Corten steel barriers around. I still wonder whether it's just the cost or people plain thinks it's ugly... It's so distinctive we eventually got to love it.
We have them in Norway: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...443589&page=69
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:05 AM   #154
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post

Haill the corten people. Very peculiar design indeed.
Old November 24th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #155
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

http://v4.cache6.c.bigcache.googleap...rect_counter=1

At least they were shiny back in 09.

Credit: Wester

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20605507

Most of the crash barriers in British Columbia, is concrete No-Post barrier.
Old November 24th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #156
ed110220

Quote:
I noticed that, as everybody moves away from New Jersey barriers, the UK is installing them everywhere. Strange. I think this is basically because the road safety regulation clearrly defines the design and shape of steel barriers to a standard which is a bit outdated and weak for our age -pity. Surely steel would help the local economy better and would also look better. PS, kinda hate your "egg-slicers"
Is a "New Jersey barrier" just an ordinary concrete crash barrier? What countries are moving away from them? As far as I was aware, the opposite was the case.

As I understand it a concrete barrier is safer than a steel one because: a) a vehicle is less likely to breach it, b) a vehicle hitting it at a small angle will scrape it or bounce off rather than become embedded or sliced open, c) if a person is thrown from a vehicle the risk of critical injury or death by being dashed/sliced against the upright supports or sharp edges of a steel barrier is greater.

In addition, in South Africa there is often a problem with pedestrians illegally crossing freeways, especially where informal settlements (shantytowns) are found nearby. A tall concrete crash barrier deters illegal pedestrian crossing much better than a steel one that can easily be climbed over.

There is also the question of cost. I suspect that the relative prices of steel and concrete are different in different parts of the world. In the UK steel seems much more widely used for railings/guard rails on bridges etc, while the South African equivalent is usually concrete. Same with bridges - some countries favour steel, others concrete.

It seems though that I'm wrong about South Africa switching away from steel entirely: a lot of nice shiny new crash barrier has been installed around Johannesburg.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #157
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Is it possible that Crash Barriers can sometimes be so shiny that they reflect sunlight into your eyes?
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #158
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220

Is a "New Jersey barrier" just an ordinary concrete crash barrier? What countries are moving away from them? As far as I was aware, the opposite was the case.

As I understand it a concrete barrier is safer than a steel one because: a) a vehicle is less likely to breach it, b) a vehicle hitting it at a small angle will scrape it or bounce off rather than become embedded or sliced open, c) if a person is thrown from a vehicle the risk of critical injury or death by being dashed/sliced against the upright supports or sharp edges of a steel barrier is greater.

In addition, in South Africa there is often a problem with pedestrians illegally crossing freeways, especially where informal settlements (shantytowns) are found nearby. A tall concrete crash barrier deters illegal pedestrian crossing much better than a steel one that can easily be climbed over.

There is also the question of cost. I suspect that the relative prices of steel and concrete are different in different parts of the world. In the UK steel seems much more widely used for railings/guard rails on bridges etc, while the South African equivalent is usually concrete. Same with bridges - some countries favour steel, others concrete.

It seems though that I'm wrong about South Africa switching away from steel entirely: a lot of nice shiny new crash barrier has been installed around Johannesburg.
Sorry for my late reply. I honestly don't know why we do call the "new jersey" here. It has always been like that. Reverse V shaped concrete barriers, that became popular in the 80's. They originally allowed to provide some protection on dual carriageways here you input had a double eviterà stripe between flows of vehicles. They are being replaced by steel mainly because of ageing concrete becoming brittle and unsafe.
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #159
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
Is it possible that Crash Barriers can sometimes be so shiny that they reflect sunlight into your eyes?
Well, it is entirely possible, given their shape.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:48 PM   #160
ed110220

Quote:
Sorry for my late reply. I honestly don't know why we do call the "new jersey" here. It has always been like that. Reverse V shaped concrete barriers, that became popular in the 80's. They originally allowed to provide some protection on dual carriageways here you input had a double eviterà stripe between flows of vehicles. They are being replaced by steel mainly because of ageing concrete becoming brittle and unsafe.
Perhaps it is a climate thing? The UK has a relatively mild climate compared with much of the USA (less risk of frost damage) and the parts of South Africa subject to severe frosts all tend to be dry in the winter so little risk of freeze-thaw damage.

This section of the M25 in the UK used to have a steel barrier but has been reconstructed with a concrete one: http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.3592...358.9,,0,11.71

In South Africa freeways were often built with quite a wide median with steel barrier and were later widened by adding an extra lane to each carriageway in what used to be the median, separated with a concrete barrier like this: http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=-26.056...245.88,,0,1.41

Quite a lot of the concrete work of UK motorways built in the 1960s became defective surprisingly early, from the 1980s onwards. I'm not aware of problems with concrete from South African works of the same period suffering extensive problems.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote