daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #201
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

http://www.observer.com/2010/politic...tel-penn-tower
Stringer Likes Vornado’s Hotel Penn Tower

By Eliot Brown
May 19, 2010

Quote:
Steve Roth's plan for what would be the city's third tallest tower, across from Penn Station on the site of the current Hotel Pennsylvania, just got a boost, as Borough President Scott Stringer on Wednesday gave his conditional approval for the proposal.

The planned 1,200-foot skyscraper—which is theoretical in that it would not likely be built until Vornado is able to get a tenant some unknown number of years down the road—was delivered a near-unanimous (non-binding) rejection by the community board last month, with members citing too much density and discontentment over the transit benefits being offered by the developer. Had Mr. Stringer given a negative recommendation as well, the tower would likely have faced something of a political climb to get through the City Council.

But Mr. Stringer was on board with the concept of a large office tower on the site, and his recommendations pertained mostly to pedestrian flow issues, open space and a number of smaller issues that are likely surmountable.

From the recommendation:

The proposed development represents a unique opportunity to encourage high-density transit-oriented development, strengthen the nation's largest central business district, and improve local and regional mass-transit systems. The scale of the proposed project is consistent with buildings in the surrounding area and the City's development goals and policies, and is appropriate for the development site.

The plan for the tower, named 15 Penn Plaza, now goes to the City Planning Commission and then to the City Council.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; May 20th, 2010 at 04:56 AM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #202
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

I'm not sure how I feel about the design. It doesn't really look like supertall material to me, probably would look better if it were closer to around 800' Ft.
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #203
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about the design. It doesn't really look like supertall material to me, probably would look better if it were closer to around 800' Ft.
It looks pretty nice to me.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; May 20th, 2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #204
RobertWalpole
BANNED

http://www.observer.com/2010/politic...tel-penn-tower

I'll bet that Morgan Stanley becomes the chief tenant of this tower.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #205
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
the last thing NYC needs is another 800ft tower! build the supertalls - now!
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #206
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
It looks pretty nice to me.

I am not a fan of the bigger pedestal/base. Tall towers look better when they look like tall towers, not trophy stands.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #207
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I like the skinner of the two. The base doesn't bother me in the less. Since this years down the road I won't put to much stock in it.
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:38 AM   #208
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

i like the one with the podium more, but they need to make the podium suit the tower more!
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:48 AM   #209
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3187

It doesn't look NYish, IMO. Looks too much like Torre Gran Costanera in Santiago.
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:38 AM   #210
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
i agree 100% the location isnt right its off center and too close to the esb in my opinion, it should be a little shorter id say. Something thats just about as tall as the esb and right next to it should be world class in design if something is going to be built there.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:49 AM   #211
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
It doesn't look NYish, IMO. Looks too much like Torre Gran Costanera in Santiago.
Looks like Jersey City material , i like the right one more. But it still doesn't fit in with Midtown Manhattan Style.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:21 AM   #212
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

What you guys have to realize is that the west side of Manhattan is going to explode with tall buildings over the next few decades, so you might as well get used to the reoriented skyline.
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:46 AM   #213
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
What you guys have to realize is that the west side of Manhattan is going to explode with tall buildings over the next few decades, so you might as well get used to the reoriented skyline.
Im not so sure about that , its seems to be Lower Manhattan and the NJ Gold Coast. Over the past 10 years those 2 areas have exploded with modern Buildings.
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:17 AM   #214
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

please read the post before commenting nonsense.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:16 AM   #215
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
please read the post before commenting nonsense.
Theres no space , and theres alot of Historic Buildings , so i don't see it happening. Unlike other parts of NYC or across the River. Maybe on the Rail Yards and a few others. But not a mass building of Modern Skyscrapers. I have a feeling this building might end up over one of the Rail pits next to MSG. But thats just my opinion , NYC is very unpredictable ,but lately some neighborhoods have been protesting new buildings.

Last edited by Nexis; May 21st, 2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:13 PM   #216
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Theres no space , and theres alot of Historic Buildings , so i don't see it happening. Unlike other parts of NYC or across the River. Maybe on the Rail Yards and a few others. But not a mass building of Modern Skyscrapers. I have a feeling this building might end up over one of the Rail pits next to MSG. But thats just my opinion , NYC is very unpredictable ,but lately some neighborhoods have been protesting new buildings.
You don't know what you are talking about. Please, stop.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:57 PM   #217
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Yeah dude, what the hell are you talking about? There are HUGE plans for redevelopment on the west side, not just on the hudson yards.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:10 AM   #218
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I walk by that area every month , i live across the River. I think i know what i'm talking about. + I believe that site is the site of the Historic Hotel Pennsylvania. But if it does get built , it will be built over the pit. Unless you live around the NYC Metro don't tell me , I don't know what i'm talking about. I have all the plans , there just plans atm .......although there is alot of small one story places that building could be placed on. I don't think if its built it would be in the place its being shown. Keep in mind i scan the entire Region for projects , but in the past few years alot of projects like these have been discussed to the bone and nothing has happened or it was canceled. New Yorkers are very against destorying Historic landmarks , we've already destoried alot of our history.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:18 AM   #219
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
New Yorkers are very against destorying Historic landmarks , we've already destoried alot of our history.
Yes but in 100 years these buildings will become historic themselves
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:22 AM   #220
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draegen View Post
Yes but in 100 years these buildings will become historic themselves
LOL , true....but Hotel Pennsylvania is the last part of Historic Penn Station that is still standing and i hate to see it go. Can't they just build it somewhere else there are numerous locations better then 15 Penn Plaza.

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado