daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:25 AM   #221
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

You are not convincing at all. There are no plans to build this building on the rail yards at all and if the planning board approves it, say goodbye to the Hotel Penn.

The hotel is not a designated landmark (and unworthy of that IMO), and with the transit incentives offered by the developers in this economy, the planning board would be fools not to accept the plan.

Last edited by aquablue; May 23rd, 2010 at 04:30 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:33 AM   #222
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
You are not convincing at all. There are no plans to build this building on the rail yards at all and if the planning board approves it, say goodbye to the Hotel Penn. The other adjacent sites will be reserved for future towers and are owned by other developers, not Vornado who is planning this site.

The hotel is not a designated landmark (and unworthy of that IMO), and with the transit incentives offered by the developers in this economy, the planning board would be fools not to accept the plan.

Oh, if you examine the hotel closley, other than the base and the extreme top, it is rubbish and there would be no incentive to renovate this hotel.
Im done with this thread , its stupid to say they should tear down this hotel even if its not Historic. Its a part of Manhattan History.......why isn't it worth Historic Status? People form outside the region think they know some much about the city , but really they don't.....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:53 AM   #223
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Im done with this thread , its stupid to say they should tear down this hotel even if its not Historic. Its a part of Manhattan History.......why isn't it worth Historic Status? People form outside the region think they know some much about the city , but really they don't.....
The developers don't think its stupid, and they have no regard for the history of the building.. the landmark people also disagree with you.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:15 AM   #224
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

I think the value of walking out of an upgraded Penn station and seeing a new super tall right in front of you is worth losing the Pennsylvania. The Penn is a shit hole, what's up with the crappy entrance? Big and brick is cool but I can think of 100 building in manhattan that are much more valuable representaions of the period.

If the new building has the proper street level interface it will transform that whole area. It's the first thing you see coming out of the station. I can't wait. It will be breath taking.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:17 AM   #225
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
If it was worth the status it would have already had it. And being from the region doesn't mean you know anymore then the next non-New Yorker. People because you live around NYC doesn't mean your from here.

Last edited by kingsc; May 24th, 2010 at 05:24 AM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:43 PM   #226
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
lol? you live in new jersey. most real new yorkers wouldn't even give you the time of day.
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #227
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
lol? you live in new jersey. most real new yorkers wouldn't even give you the time of day.
Is that why they shop here , LOL.....your state is 10x worse then mine......Honestly theres no point in discussing it anymore.....were derailing off topic....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #228
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

My original point is that you're wrong, west side Manhattan is going to be the site of the next skyscraper boom.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #229
kingsc

I wouldnt buy toilet paper in jersey but that's besides the point. If you like the Penn so much your state should buy the bricks and rebuild it in Jersey. We won't fight you for it really. The building itself is to tall to be a base for the new building but I wouldnt mind if they kept part of the front.
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #230
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I wouldnt buy toilet paper in jersey but that's besides the point. If you like the Penn so much your state should buy the bricks and rebuild it in Jersey. We won't fight you for it really. The building itself is to tall to be a base for the new building but I wouldnt mind if they kept part of the front.
Let's stop this jersey bashing please -- it is childish. I'm not from jersey, but still.
Old May 25th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #231
kingsc

how bout u not tell me what to do and get on topic thanks. it would be a shame if the saved the Penn then we'll be stuck with that eyesore for the rest of or lives
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #232
Febo
Soy Viejo, Deme!

Likes (Received): 1234

Gorgeous design!
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #233
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

i really hope that the hotel gets torn down...i just like sexy new supertalls
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #234
Handbanana

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor650 View Post
i really hope that the hotel gets torn down...i just like sexy new supertalls
I agree completely, especially when it is a VERY sexy new supertall
Handbanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #235
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8735

Excellent design!! I like!!

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada

I(L)WTC liked this post
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #236
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...-rss&FEEDNAME=
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #237
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
thanks for posting.

Penn Station tunnel vision

By TOM NAMAKO Transit Reporter

Quote:
Electrical wires hang from the dark tunnel's roof, paint is peeling from the walls, vermin traps are filled and antique light fixtures are covered in cobwebs.

But the ghostly "Gimbels passageway," a lengthy, long-forgotten underground link between Penn Station and Herald Square, may be coming back to life -- providing a free transfer point between two busy subway stations.

The 800-foot pedestrian concourse, which at some points is only a claustrophobic 9-feet wide, was walled up in the early 1980s as the city's crime rate skyrocketed and the site became a stalking ground for muggers and other criminals.

Today, storefront signs for Enrico Caruso Burgers and Pizza and Circus Ice Cream -- businesses as defunct as the once-famous Gimbels department store -- are shattered and coated in grime.

But one of the city's biggest developers, Vornado Realty Trust, wants permission to expand the narrowest section to 16 feet and fill the entire tunnel with retail shops and art.

It would accommodate 12,000 people each hour.

Straphangers would be able to transfer free between the 1, 2 and 3 lines at Seventh Avenue, and 34th Street and the N, R, W, F, B, D and V lines at Herald Square.

But there's a big catch.

The tunnel-rehab project would be part of a deal that would allow Vornado to build the city's second-tallest building, at Seventh Avenue and 32nd Street.

That plan has been rejected by the neighborhood's Community Board 5 because, as one official put it, "they're asking for too much and giving too little."

In exchange for the passageway and several other transit improvements, Vornado wants zoning laws changed so it can make its tower 2 million square feet, not 1.15 million square feet, as is currently allowed.

The board has only an advisory role. The city's Planning Commission will vote on the proposal in July, and then the City Council will conduct its own vote within 50 days.

MISSING LINK: Penn Station's deserted Gimbels passageway (above) will be turned into a shop-lined commuter walkway, if a developer gets its way.
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #238
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

You're welcome. I am quite sure that Morgan Stanley will move to this tower. They're looking for over 1m sf of space.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #239
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
You're welcome. I am quite sure that Morgan Stanley will move to this tower. They're looking for over 1m sf of space.
those NIMBYs need to see a psychiatrist, immediately.

Quote:
That plan has been rejected by the neighborhood's Community Board 5 because, as one official put it, "they're asking for too much and giving too little."
what a joke. i can't even begin what vornado will do for the city...
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #240
kingsc

it make it much better if it didn't look like scum

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado