daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2010, 12:33 AM   #321
graffhead91

Likes (Received): 0

Should 15 Penn Plaza be built as planned? Vote now!

http://mas.org/battle-of-the-skyline/
graffhead91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:40 AM   #322
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

15 Penn Plaza should have its height cut down to 300 metres instead of 365.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:43 AM   #323
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Its height should be raised to 400m. Screw the ESB's owners!
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:10 AM   #324
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Clearly, this will be built.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/100829972

August 20, 2010 1:51 PM
Green light likely for huge 15 Penn Plaza tower
Despite unanimous nay vote from the local community board and opposition from the neighboring Empire State Building, city likely to approve 28 million-SF project Wednesday.

By Amanda Fung

A rendering of the proposed 15 Penn Plaza tower.

Next week, the City Council is expected to approve 15 Penn Plaza, a proposed office tower that has generated some criticism from its neighbors—namely the owners of the Empire State Building, which is two blocks east.

The 67-story tower by Vornado Realty Trust is planned to rise as much as 1,216 feet on the site of the Hotel Pennsylvania at West 33rd Street. The tower is expected to get the green light, despite opposition from Community Board 5 and Malkin Holdings, which controls the Empire State Building. Community Board 5 had unanimously voted down the project. However, the full City Council is expected to vote on Wednesday to grant Vornado the final approval needed to proceed with the project.

“The height and bulk of 15 Penn Plaza are the result of waivers and bonuses greatly in excess of code. Another waiver granted 15 Penn Plaza the right to build without setbacks,” said Tony Malkin, president of Malkin Holdings, in a press statement. He has also spoken out against the project at public hearings this summer and is expected to voice his concerns at the Council subcommittee and committee meetings slated for Monday and Tuesday. “At only 67 stories, 15 Penn Plaza would be as tall as the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building, and would, if built, be as much a scar on the complexion of New York City as the loss of Penn Station,” he added.

The City Planning Commission, which gave the development a green light last month, said in its report that “the prominence of the Empire State Building would not be significantly affected because the new building…would be shorter than the Empire State Building (approximately 230 feet shorter), and the two buildings are approximately 1,000 feet apart, which would further diminish the perceived height of the new building in more distant views.”

Even if Vornado's project is approved, construction on the new tower is not expected to begin until it signs up an anchor tenant, which will be challenging in this market. The building is expected to be 2.8 million gross square feet.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:16 AM   #325
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Clearly, this will be built.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/100829972

August 20, 2010 1:51 PM
Green light likely for huge 15 Penn Plaza tower
Despite unanimous nay vote from the local community board and opposition from the neighboring Empire State Building, city likely to approve 28 million-SF project Wednesday.

By Amanda Fung

A rendering of the proposed 15 Penn Plaza tower.

Next week, the City Council is expected to approve 15 Penn Plaza, a proposed office tower that has generated some criticism from its neighbors—namely the owners of the Empire State Building, which is two blocks east.

The 67-story tower by Vornado Realty Trust is planned to rise as much as 1,216 feet on the site of the Hotel Pennsylvania at West 33rd Street. The tower is expected to get the green light, despite opposition from Community Board 5 and Malkin Holdings, which controls the Empire State Building. Community Board 5 had unanimously voted down the project. However, the full City Council is expected to vote on Wednesday to grant Vornado the final approval needed to proceed with the project.

“The height and bulk of 15 Penn Plaza are the result of waivers and bonuses greatly in excess of code. Another waiver granted 15 Penn Plaza the right to build without setbacks,” said Tony Malkin, president of Malkin Holdings, in a press statement. He has also spoken out against the project at public hearings this summer and is expected to voice his concerns at the Council subcommittee and committee meetings slated for Monday and Tuesday. “At only 67 stories, 15 Penn Plaza would be as tall as the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building, and would, if built, be as much a scar on the complexion of New York City as the loss of Penn Station,” he added.

The City Planning Commission, which gave the development a green light last month, said in its report that “the prominence of the Empire State Building would not be significantly affected because the new building…would be shorter than the Empire State Building (approximately 230 feet shorter), and the two buildings are approximately 1,000 feet apart, which would further diminish the perceived height of the new building in more distant views.”

Even if Vornado's project is approved, construction on the new tower is not expected to begin until it signs up an anchor tenant, which will be challenging in this market. The building is expected to be 2.8 million gross square feet.
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:19 AM   #326
Puja Bali
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Could you delete that second post,
RobertWalpole? You only need 1 post.
Puja Bali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:46 AM   #327
Littlemob

Likes (Received): 7

I personalty think it's a shame that hotel gets demolished and don't like the views with empire state building. I don't like the design of the tower for this location. If for example the MoMa tower would be build here and was higher than ESB I wouldn't mind it as much.
Littlemob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:11 AM   #328
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Tear it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
I wouldn't mind ESB being taken over in height or blocked from view (partially) by new towers.
It's just a fact of life that towers eventually will be surpassed by new ones.
Do not halt or restrict the development of neighboring areas for sentimental reasons.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
Hardly anything is being said about them demolishing the newly renovated 1700 room Hotel Pennsylvania. Would be a huge mistake to lose such an historic hotel that allows budget travelers to stay in the heart of midtown.

- A
I disagree. The Hotel Pennsylvania is an ugly, tired, old eyesore. It is NOT especially historic, and it is NOT on the National Register of Historic Places. I've stayed there. The rooms are tiny and it is very out of date. It's cheap because the accommodations are so substandard. It's only redeeming feature are the columns on the front entrance. I am for historic preservation, I own a historic home in a registered historic district in Philadelphia. This crummy unattractive old hotel should be demolished.

Just my opinion.
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:22 AM   #329
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

It looks just fine right there. I hope they build it.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 07:00 AM   #330
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

Ooooh the irony of those neighbours -

http://thecityandwallstreet.blogspot...-new-york.html
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 07:28 AM   #331
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Most New Yorkers aren't happy with this , but of course the city never listens to them. Its all about $$$ these days and no history......watever .....NYC is becoming a city of greed and corruption......
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:43 PM   #332
Handbanana

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Most New Yorkers aren't happy with this , but of course the city never listens to them. Its all about $$$ these days and no history......watever .....NYC is becoming a city of greed and corruption......
Would you rather "preserve" the supposed history of the site, or have the potential tenants move their offices to say, Shanghai?

In any case, I hope the City Council approves this building. New York is a constantly growing city, progress is inevitable
Handbanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:08 PM   #333
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbanana View Post
Would you rather "preserve" the supposed history of the site, or have the potential tenants move their offices to say, Shanghai?

In any case, I hope the City Council approves this building. New York is a constantly growing city, progress is inevitable
Yes , because it was once a part something bigger that NYC decided destroy. It is Historic but NYC doesn't care about preserving anymore its all about the $$$$. Alot of New Yorkers aren't happy about this building since it would block ESB views. The City Council is corrupted by greed & payoff's so it will get approved. I wonder whats next of the demolition list? NYC doesn't seem to care about its past but i get comfort that at least on the NJ side we do. We preserve or incorporate old buildings into new ones.
Old August 21st, 2010, 11:50 PM   #334
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
With Hudson Yards, the 3 towers (ESB, 15PP, BPT) will rise a 350m+ supertall wall...

Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:27 AM   #335
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
With Hudson Yards, the 3 towers (ESB, 15PP, BPT) will rise a 350m+ supertall wall...

LOL i think that project is dead , our supertall project died around the same time many of Manhattan's did.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:59 AM   #336
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
LOL i think that project is dead , our supertall project died around the same time many of Manhattan's did.
That's very sad.

Hope they will redevelope that area, even it the supertall is canceled....

Here is a rookie photo edit by me with Hudson Yards, Penn Plaza and ESB.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:13 AM   #337
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
no its not dead they just have lots to do before they can build them. gonna be a few years before they can even begin. it has yet to be confirmed dead
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:25 AM   #338
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
It's not dead, if anything the MTA is keeping it alive by accepting far less money for the rights to build over their tracks than previously agreed to. It will be built when the banks begin lending for commercial real estate again. The question is whether it will be built all at once or in phases. In this economy, I would expect a phased scheme but given the cost of building that platform, the timelines will have to be tight. I predict cranes in the air by 2013.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:30 AM   #339
Handbanana

Likes (Received): 20

Wow luci203, that is a really good edit you did. but you might have made penn plaza a little too tall
Handbanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 02:01 AM   #340
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Hudson Yards is not dead. The developer will start as soon as it signs a tenant. It is a massive project like Battery Park City, and therefore, it will be 15 years before all of those buildings are constructed. However, a 300+m tower likely will be built in 5 to 6 years.

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado