daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #21
rossie1977

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Because... building this would mean demolishing the century old Pennsylvania Hotel. Anyway, this proposal is quite unlikely to go through, taking into consideration the significance of the Pennsylvania Hotel and the current real estate market; there really isn't an inherent need for this building.
the only thing good about that hotel is the lobby and the location if you are visiting msg my friends had two rooms there in 2004 and to say the hotel rooms/hallways/elevators were in need of repair back then is a slight understatement
rossie1977 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #22
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

To the original poster,

Is 984ft an accurate height? If so, this won't qualify as a supertall and will need to be moved to the Highrises sub-forum.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #23
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

984ft are exactly 300m, so it is a supertall i would say
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #24
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12584

I hope this gets built but the current economic situation is gonna make this one a NO GO !
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #25
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
well, its actually 299.9232ft, . but if you look in the title it says "984+", not just 984, so it will be a supertall and does belong in this forum
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #26
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
It isn't that simple. In the U.S., 1000ft is the benchmark. In nations using the metric system, it's 300m. Obviously, 1000ft does not convert to 300m, and vice versa. This problem was not lost on the admins/mods who designed the WDN forum. To address this issue, we decided on the following guidelines:

-If a project is proposed in the U.S., it must be at least 1000 feet tall to be included in the Supertalls sub-forum.
-If a project is proposed in a country using the metric system, it must be at least 300 meters tall to be included in the Supertalls sub-forum.

I hope that clears things up.
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #27
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
To the original poster,

Is 984ft an accurate height? If so, this won't qualify as a supertall and will need to be moved to the Highrises sub-forum.
I don't know the exact height, but from the rendering, 1,000 feet seems reasonable.
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #28
coexist

Likes (Received): 0

I really hope they build this tower. Hotel Pennsylvania, while certainly old, really isn't architectually significant, nor is it especially beautiful or modern for its time. It's basically a building from the 1920s that houses a nice hotel and had a song written about it. The Hotel Pennsylvania name could always carry into a new building, like the Waldorf=Astoria name carried from the site of the ESB to its current Park Avenue location.

Luckily, it's not going to get landmarked. so that won't stand in the way of this beauty. The only obstacle is really the economy, which might put the brakes on much of the planned development around MSG, sadly.
coexist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #29
MDguy

Quote:
It isn't that simple. In the U.S., 1000ft is the benchmark. In nations using the metric system, it's 300m. Obviously, 1000ft does not convert to 300m, and vice versa. This problem was not lost on the admins/mods who designed the WDN forum. To address this issue, we decided on the following guidelines:

-If a project is proposed in the U.S., it must be at least 1000 feet tall to be included in the Supertalls sub-forum.
-If a project is proposed in a country using the metric system, it must be at least 300 meters tall to be included in the Supertalls sub-forum.
s up.
But That means that a building proposed in the US Would have to be at 304.8m to be in the supertall section while anywhere else, it would be at 300 m. Or a Building in Europe would only have to be 984 ft while in the US it would have to be 1000ft. See? There's not much logic behind that because a US building would have to be taller than any other country's building to make it into the section
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #30
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
But That means that a building proposed in the US Would have to be at 304.8m to be in the supertall section while anywhere else, it would be at 300 m. Or a Building in Europe would only have to be 984 ft while in the US it would have to be 1000ft. See? There's not much logic behind that because a US building would have to be taller than any other country's building to make it into the section
Yes, of course I see. That's what I was saying in my earlier post. But it's a compromise we came up with to resolve the discrepancy between two different parts of the world using two different benchmarks for what qualifies as a supertall. What would you propose instead?
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #31
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Yes, of course I see. That's what I was saying in my earlier post. But it's a compromise we came up with to resolve the discrepancy between two different parts of the world using two different benchmarks for what qualifies as a supertall. What would you propose instead?
the overwhelming majority of the world is metric... so the 300m mark should be the universal benchmark
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #32
NewYorkForever2016

this looks like a nice building, but it looks higher than 984 i guess thats why they put the +. It looks more like 1035 feet.

New York Freedom Tower (1 World Trade Center) Vs Shanghi World Finance Center + With Poll : Go to
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=691670

Obama/Biden 2008
NewYorkForever2016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #33
coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
the overwhelming majority of the world is metric... so the 300m mark should be the universal benchmark
Agreed. Considering all buildings in this forum have their metric height posted in the title, as well as their height in terms of feet, I'd say the metric system should be used for all buildings, so as to not create a disadvantage for buildings in the U.S. and to have a consistent system for the entire world (that's recognized by the entire world, considering most Americans have some elementary knowledge of the metric system even though we don't use it in our daily lives).
coexist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #34
Janne_H

Likes (Received): 411

ICC and his fat little brother!

Janne_H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #35
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

The only thing that concerns me is that Related can't get anything done these days. They have no shortage of grandiose plans, but precious little underway. They've even pulled up stakes in Miami. where everything they were touching was turning to gold.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #36
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Pretty good. I don't care much about the old Hotel Penn, it's not among the greatest buildings in it's era and really the only thing it has going for it was that it was pretty damn big. Looks 1,100-1,200 feet to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
The only thing that concerns me is that Related can't get anything done these days. They have no shortage of grandiose plans, but precious little underway. They've even pulled up stakes in Miami. where everything they were touching was turning to gold.
I thought that this was under Vornado not Related.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #37
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Well looking at from my prespective, it looks like it's roof line is about the same elevation as the ESB outdoor observation deck, surely 1000'.....
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #38
Hankster

Likes (Received): 12

Judging from this photo and comparing it with ESB which is 1250 Ft up to the base of the antenna, I would estimate this tower at 1100 Ft. or more. It's definitely a supertall.
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #39
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Really nice tower, and as a hotel it would have one of the best views, being so close to the ESB. Just another supertall for New York, nothing unusual
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #40
centralcali19

Likes (Received): 9

looks very modern...congrats. NYC!

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado