daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #401
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lion View Post
we did it gentlemen
i was worried they would chop the height in half
We've just begun!

New York is getting at least six 300+m buildings with a seventh (225 W 57th) in the works!

Last edited by RobertWalpole; August 26th, 2010 at 04:38 AM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #402
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptomistOne View Post
The city already looks magnificent.
It does!

But just imagine it in a few years with 1 WTC, 2 WTC, 3 WTC, 4 WTC, MoMA, 15 Penn Plaza, Carnegie 57 and hopefully 56 Leonard and 30 Park Place.

WOW.

Last edited by 599GTB; August 26th, 2010 at 05:22 AM.
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #403
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

awesome!

Great news! Undoubtedly, one of the biggest and best news for the city!
Now just a New York to celebrate winning a grand project like this!

Last edited by rencharles; August 26th, 2010 at 08:23 AM.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #404
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

And the news already run the world:

Globo.com (Brazil):
http://g1.globo.com/mundo/noticia/20...-building.html

rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #405
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

I love how everybody ignores my link on the article about Vornados trouble project history. Which might affect this project. If they can't finish a few projects why are they attempting to build this one?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #406
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

A bit surprised they'll launch this given the recession. Here's the newswire report :
NYC council OKs skyscraper near Empire State

NEW YORK, Aug 25 (Reuters) - A soaring new office building planned for midtown Manhattan won the approval of the New York City Council on Wednesday, despite objections from the Empire State Building that it will diminish the iconic skyline.

Vornado Realty Trust's proposed 67-story building, known as 15 Penn Plaza, would be built two blocks away and stand nearly as tall as the landmark that has stood largely unobstructed in midtown Manhattan since it was built in 1931.

A Vornado spokesman said the building will be "an outstanding addition to New York's skyline."

The proposed building does not yet have an anchor tenant, and any ground breaking could be delayed until one is found.

Empire State Building co-owner Malkin Holdings said it respected the decision of the council.

"As the current stewards of the Empire State Building, the most iconic image on the skyline of New York, we thought that 15 Penn Plaza was too close to the Empire State Building for its height and design," said company president Anthony Malkin.

The Council approved the construction by a vote of 47-1.

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg dismissed the Empire State Building's objections.

"Anybody that builds a building in New York City changes its skyline. We don't have to run around to every other owner and apologize," Bloomberg told a news conference on Tuesday.

"One guy owns a building and he'd like to have it be the only tall building. I'm sorry, that's not the real world," Bloomberg said.

The Empire State Building was forever etched in pop culture by the 1933 film "King Kong" in which a giant gorilla climbs to the top of the building, and has dominated Manhattan's skyline since its construction when.

It was the city's tallest building until the construction of the World Trade Center in 1970. After the twin towers were destroyed in the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the Empire State Building again held the title of New York's tallest building, but One World Trade Center will be the tallest when completed.

The tower's height was determined by the needs of potential tenants, such as financial services firms that need large, uninterrupted floors to accommodate trading activities, as well as the additional space needs for "green" office design, Greenbaum told the New York City Council zoning committee.

Vornado also said the construction would bring transit improvements including a concourse linking Penn Station to subways and commuter trains, new subway entrances and an expanded subway platform.

Penn Plaza would be 1,190 feet (363 metres) tall, putting it just shy of the Empire State Building's main structure of 1,250 feet (381 metres). The 102-story skyscraper has a 204-foot (62-metre) antenna that puts its peak at 1,454 feet (443 metres).

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #407
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Just saw the headline on BBC News.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #408
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
If they get another ~1200 footer roughly the same distance to the east, any worries about the skyline will disappear.
exactly which in ny is only a matter of time
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #409
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9055

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencharles View Post
And the news already run the world:

Globo.com (Brazil):
Yupp, it circled the world alright, arrived even to Hungary...

http://index.hu/kultur/klassz/2010/0...te_buildinget/

Title should be changed to app!

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #410
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 197

And South Africa
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #411
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3661

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
First building to go beyond the 600ft mark...

To complete the kill, also the 148m City Investing Building was demolished.

(the second tallest, next to Singer Building)

What year was this taken?

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #412
Teslatron

Likes (Received): 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
What year was this taken?
Teslatron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #413
tiann

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/ny...1&ref=nyregion
tiann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #414
Jakes1
Jakes1

My feeling is that the owners of the hotel allowed it to fall into its current state in order to justify new development:

The building is a heritage building, built in 1919. It survived the Penn Station devastation during redevelopment. I think redevelopment should happen, but the foyer and the facade should be incorporated into a new design. NY is better than Dubai - because it has historic fabric (just like Chicago). If we start destroying all heritage buildings in favour of new scrapers, we loose our soul. Ask me, I know. Johannesburg demolished all of its glorious art deco scrapers in the 70's for soulless brown office towers. History can never be brought back.
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #415
mgp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
http://bostonherald.com/business/gen...ome&position=4

Honestly , why would they do that? They don't have the $$$ to build that , but they can build a skyscraper in NYC? Reminds me of the Tucker Development corp promising 2 projects in Newark and can't even start them....
The reality is, without a anchor tenant, they aren't going to build anything.

They certainly aren't building with cash, and financing is not available for spec buildings at the moment. If they get a tenant in NY, they will build in NY. If they get a tenant in Boston, they will build in Boston. It's that simple.
mgp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #416
>skyscraper<

And in Germany:

http://nachrichten.t-online.de/new-y...42651522/index
>skyscraper< no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #417
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes1 View Post
My feeling is that the owners of the hotel allowed it to fall into its current state in order to justify new development:

The building is a heritage building, built in 1919. It survived the Penn Station devastation during redevelopment. I think redevelopment should happen, but the foyer and the facade should be incorporated into a new design. NY is better than Dubai - because it has historic fabric (just like Chicago). If we start destroying all heritage buildings in favour of new scrapers, we loose our soul. Ask me, I know. Johannesburg demolished all of its glorious art deco scrapers in the 70's for soulless brown office towers. History can never be brought back.
Who's talking about demolishing every single historical building in New York City? That's just hyperbole, to say the least (probably a massive understatement). No offense but that's a typical NIMBY tactic, pulling out the whole "Oh but this will open the floodgates and by this time next decade every building older than 30 years will have been replaced by a soulless office tower!!"-routine.
Old August 26th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #418
stevensp

Likes (Received): 64

And the news arrived in Belgium aswell
Cool, I am curious when they will start constructing it

I do like the design and in my opinion ( with the information i have read ) it seems like a project that will bring a nice extra to the current development of NY...
I think it's postive they allow such (well thought) project.. Will give the city an extra new boost!

+ more project updates will be posted soon!
stevensp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #419
Jakes1
Jakes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Who's talking about demolishing every single historical building in New York City? That's just hyperbole, to say the least (probably a massive understatement). No offense but that's a typical NIMBY tactic, pulling out the whole "Oh but this will open the floodgates and by this time next decade every building older than 30 years will have been replaced by a soulless office tower!!"-routine.
I hear you, and I def don't see myself as a NIMBY. But sometimes places need to be preserved, not only because of architectural value, but also because of significance (historically and socially). I don't think the current owner/new developer gave this building the attention it deserved, allowing it to slowly decay. Developers in Johannesburg has done the same thing, allowing buildings to implode, a piece lost that you can never get back. To me this building is significant. It is not just another hotel. And surely the new development can go ahead, while taking the old into account? But this is too expensive. As such rich history is lost for short term gains. which is the worst kind of development there is.
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #420
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Well, what I was getting at was that judging by what I hear from New Yorkers, the number of classic old buildings in New York being preserved as landmarks is quite high, and that the razing of a select few for redevelopment purposes poses no danger for the preservation of a majority of buildings of architectural significance.

Of course I realize that you were only stating your opinion that the old hotel should have been included among those buildings that are being preserved as landmarks, or at least partially preserved within the new development, there's nothing wrong with having that opinion of course, I was merely trying to point out that your comparison to "Johannesburg demolish[ing] all of its glorious art deco scrapers in the 70's for soulless brown office towers" sounded like pretty over-the-top sensationalism to me. Manhattan isn't gonna replace the bulk of its classic art deco architecture for uniform glass towers any time soon.

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado