daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #481
ZwarteRidder
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

i just hate when ny is destroying it's historical buildings....eu is saving their historical buildings and usa..is demolishing...
ZwarteRidder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #482
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

I guess most of the people who are complaining abt the hotels demolition havent seen it in person!!!! Its just an ugly run down bldg, which looks like a converted prison. Its not worth to preserve it!!!!! Furthermore, imagine ppl who come for the first time to NYC, and go by the subway from JFK to the PENN station. They go out of the station and the first they see from Manhattan, is this 360m+ tower, instead of the shit run down brick bldg...
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #483
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I guess most of the people who are complaining abt the hotels demolition havent seen it in person!!!! Its just an ugly run down bldg, which looks like a converted prison. Its not worth to preserve it!!!!! Furthermore, imagine ppl who come for the first time to NYC, and go by the subway from JFK to the PENN station. They go out of the station and the first they see from Manhattan, is this 360m+ tower, instead of the shit run down brick bldg...
I totally agree.

New York needs super talls, not only to join the great arch that surrounds the world with super talls, but to show that New York can more.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #484
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

We don't need superstall. we building them because we can not because we have to.
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #485
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
We don't need superstall. we building them because we can not because we have to.
Can you make an effort explaining your pseudo philosophy a little better somethimes? Try writing English decently for a start.
Seriously, the whole tough-guy-Nu-Yawk-street-talk thing is getting to me.
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #486
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Truth..Sometimes I don't get it what the hell are you talkin' about too..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #487
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Well, he just refered to the post made by rencharles, who said that nyc NEEDS supertalls. Kingsc intention was to say, that nyc dont needs supertalls to show off, or put itself on the map, nyc just builds supertalls bc it has to, e.g. bc of scarece on free land on Manhattan or so.
Old September 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #488
jayhawker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Kings posts are becoming less and less comprehensible.
jayhawker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #489
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Well, he just refered to the post made by rencharles, who said that nyc NEEDS supertalls. Kingsc intention was to say, that nyc dont needs supertalls to show off, or put itself on the map, nyc just builds supertalls bc it has to, e.g. bc of scarece on free land on Manhattan or so.
He was actually saying the exact opposite. New York is not building supertalls because NY has to. NY is building them just because NY can build them. Just to show off. I completely agree, and I think it is fantastic. NY keep on being NY.

"We don't need superstall. we building them because we can not because we have to."

Edited: We don't need supertalls. We are building them because we can, not because we have to.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #490
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

yeah that's right. actually, this time his post wasn't that bad (in terms of spelling) lol.
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #491
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

New York is building supertalls because it can? Well no shit. If they can't build it, they won't.

This tower is being built because there will be be strong demand for Class A office space soon.

Last edited by Uaarkson; September 10th, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #492
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I can't write long drawn out post because I'm using a phone. Germentown got it in a nutshell. If the price of real estate wasn't so high, there'd be no skyscraper. NYC was a world class city, long before the skyscrapers and supertalls. We're talking about a city with 5 plus million people in the late 1800s.
Old September 11th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #493
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Half the space in the High Rises in this region aren't full , why build more empty buildings. Keep in mind this isn't a recent thing , yes theres demand for residential but commercial not so much. They should use what they have already...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #494
Handbanana

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Half the space in the High Rises in this region aren't full , why build more empty buildings. Keep in mind this isn't a recent thing , yes theres demand for residential but commercial not so much. They should use what they have already...

First off, I assure you, there isn't a 50% vacancy rate in Midtown. Secondly, there is a huge demand for high quality commercial space in NYC. Why do you think nearly half the space at the WTC site is already rented? Even if there wasn't a large demand, existing companies are always looking for better office buildings to suit their specific needs.
Handbanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #495
boschb
boschb

Likes (Received): 31

I thought that i was going to read about 15 penn plaza in this thread
boschb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #496
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbanana View Post
First off, I assure you, there isn't a 50% vacancy rate in Midtown. Secondly, there is a huge demand for high quality commercial space in NYC. Why do you think nearly half the space at the WTC site is already rented? Even if there wasn't a large demand, existing companies are always looking for better office buildings to suit their specific needs.
Well maybe closer to 70% , but theres so much that is not rented out yet. So why are we building more buildings? Its wasteful , most New Yorkers / Regionites know that.
Old September 12th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #497
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Well maybe closer to 70% , but theres so much that is not rented out yet. So why are we building more buildings? Its wasteful , most New Yorkers / Regionites know that.
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #498
donoteat

Likes (Received): 1

Well I like the looks of the Hotel Pennsylvania better than this big wavy glass thing that would go up in its place.

Then again I irrationally hate wavy glass things because they all look the same to me. So that might just be the hatred speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi Ang View Post
Some picture of the Penn Hotel?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Pennsylvania

I understand it's pretty ratty on the inside. Still, it's a dignified old building, even if the facade is kinda plain. (I imagine it complimented old Penn Station quite well, in the day.)
donoteat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #499
Handbanana

Likes (Received): 20

Those "big wavy glass things" you're talking about is better known as modern architecture. And they certainly don't all look the same. Their uniqueness comes in their geometries, not the facade. 1WTC for example, is unique in the triangles that make up its structure.

IMO, 15 Penn will be one of the best skyscrapers in the city, much better than that godawful, run down pile of crap known as Pennsylvania Hotel.
Handbanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #500
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbanana View Post

Those "big wavy glass things" you're talking about is better known as modern architecture. And they certainly don't all look the same. Their uniqueness comes in their geometries, not the facade. 1WTC for example, is unique in the triangles that make up its structure.

IMO, 15 Penn will be one of the best skyscrapers in the city, much better than that godawful, run down pile of crap known as Pennsylvania Hotel.

Its not a bad building , Unfortnatly the owners let the interior go to waste.....which is a shame. NYC seems to want to tear everything historic down , there biggest mistake was the original Penn station. And now this , most New Yorkers oppose tearing down this building.

image hosted on flickr

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado