daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #501
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Why do opponents of this tower always have to claim to speak for "most New Yorkers"? It's so unbearably pretentious.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #502
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbanana View Post

Those "big wavy glass things" you're talking about is better known as modern architecture. And they certainly don't all look the same. Their uniqueness comes in their geometries, not the facade. 1WTC for example, is unique in the triangles that make up its structure.

IMO, 15 Penn will be one of the best skyscrapers in the city, much better than that godawful, run down pile of crap known as Pennsylvania Hotel.
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #503
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Why do opponents of this tower always have to claim to speak for "most New Yorkers"? It's so unbearably pretentious.
Every New York Forum i use that has this topic , New Yorkers as they learn about it more seem to be against it.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #504
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

"Real New Yorkers" are against the tower. If you aren't against it then you must not be a "Real New Yorker"... you sound like crazy old Sara "I can see Russia from my front pourch" Palin. ("Real Americans")

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...

Last edited by EddieB317; September 13th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #505
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Now it's no use crying. The old building will be destroyed, and that's it. Soon we will have one of the largest towers in NY and we should be happy with that.

Sure, I know that is not quite there. But, patience ... We will lose something, for something more modern. Think about it ... Open your mind!
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #506
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Why hasn't Nexis been banned for city boosting yet? Literally every single post he makes subtly downplays NYC in favor of New Jersey. It's outrageously annoying.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #507
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

i like it a lot
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #508
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Why hasn't Nexis been banned for city boosting yet? Literally every single post he makes subtly downplays NYC in favor of New Jersey. It's outrageously annoying.
Actually i don't , if you go into the NYC forum or on other sites i use i post positive things about NYC. How about you just ignore me if you don't like me instead of personally attacking me. I don't down play , if you lived around here you understand what i'm saying , but you don't and your looking in with an outside view which is fine. But you'll never understand why i say the things i say about NYC unless you lived here. On other cities i stand up for New Yorkers , but lets not get into that..... I never bash NYC or state , since i'm a born New Yorker , I am critical of the cost of living and when ppl visit NYC i tell them they should stay on the Jersey side. Since you save on taxes and fees that NYC tags on. I love NY , i love this region , so i can't really bash it. Your welcome to come join city-data.com and debate this issue further like i have on several threads on 15 Penn Plaza with New Yorkers on the New York City boards.

Last edited by Nexis; September 13th, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #509
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

No one appreciates your elitism.
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #510
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
No one appreciates your elitism.
Watever , well excuse me why i go comment on some NYC issues on the City Data site (Positive) Now if you don't like me theres something called an ignore button , use that instead of attacking me. I have provided links to sources where ppl agree with me , and you and others choose to ignore them. Thats your problem not mine.
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #511
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

There's an ignore button? Where? I would love to use it.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #512
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
There's an ignore button? Where? I would love to use it.
You didn't know? Its in your User CP , every forum site has one.
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #513
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Well maybe closer to 70% , but theres so much that is not rented out yet. So why are we building more buildings? Its wasteful , most New Yorkers / Regionites know that.
No only ppl who don't, live in the city think that.
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #514
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

The Hotel Pennsylvania is a grand old building but like many others of its period, it suffers fron low ceiling heights, small rooms with lots of interior walls, lousy HVAC and mechanical systems that would cost a fortune to replace and such a poor location that after the expense of reviving the structure as a viable hotel ( the only realistic buiding type for a renovation ) you couldn't get the room rates necessary to earn back such an investment. The front entrance should be carefully removed and possibly reused elsewhere but the rest of the structure is ordinary brick veneer over a structural steel skeleton like those old dowagers on Park Ave. It ain't no national treasure. I wish the hotel had been built closer to Central Park so it might have a fighting chance but it wasn't so adios, aging relic of the distant past and hello, supertall sexy!!
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #515
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
No only ppl who don't, live in the city think that.
Go to some of the buildings in Midtown ,half aren't even full yet. The Residential buildings fill up fast of course but the commercial ones don't. The NY Times Building had a tough time filling its space and so did another nearby building. Go to a few Midtown buildings and ask them. I left a new thread on city data for the New Yorkers to answer so you can see what i'm talking about.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #516
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Go to some of the buildings in Midtown ,half aren't even full yet. The Residential buildings fill up fast of course but the commercial ones don't. The NY Times Building had a tough time filling its space and so did another nearby building. Go to a few Midtown buildings and ask them. I left a new thread on city data for the New Yorkers to answer so you can see what i'm talking about.
The only vacant office building in Midtown I can think of is 530 Madison, a fully speculative project built just before the 2008 crash. Other towers have vacancies but few have vacancies of coveted large contiguous blocks of GLA. A building with empty spaces every other floor might drive the statistics but are little use to a bulk office tennant in need of ENTIRE floors. There's every indication that as leases expire, companies are jockeying for deals on large blocks of space. In other words, the usual musical chairs you see in an economic downturn. By the time 15 Penn opens, there will be tennants ready to sign.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #517
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

11 Times Square is still about 2/3 empty, all of it's empty space is contiguous. Throw in the soon to empty space in 4 Times Sq, the WTC towers... I just don't see this one starting for at least 2-3 years.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #518
Handbanana

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
11 Times Square is still about 2/3 empty, all of it's empty space is contiguous. Throw in the soon to empty space in 4 Times Sq, the WTC towers... I just don't see this one starting for at least 2-3 years.
Empty space in the WTC towers? Freedom Tower is 2/3 leased, and towers 2 and 3 won't even get built until tenants sign on.
Handbanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #519
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbanana View Post
Empty space in the WTC towers? Freedom Tower is 2/3 leased, and towers 2 and 3 won't even get built until tenants sign on.
Which means you've got a lot of towers chasing the same leases.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #520
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I have no doubt that a tenant will be signed in 2011. No major corporation wants Conde Naste's "used space" at 4 Times Square. Corporations want new construction. Financial service companies (and ancillary fields that serve them, such as law firms) drive new construction. That's why NY and London are the only Western cities building several new office towers at the moment.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado