daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #541
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

By your standards childern with Lincoln logs could building them.
You do understand there a building standing, where this needs to go up. Not only that there's the subway, so like I said easier said then done.

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #542
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

the NY skyscraper diagram on SSP has been updated. it finally includes the new 15 penn plaza tower!

drawing by Matthew Dumont, SSP
Roof 370.6 m, Multi-tenant design (1216 ft)

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=8
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=37692
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:16 PM   #543
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
the NY skyscraper diagram on SSP has been updated. it finally includes the new 15 penn plaza tower!

drawing by Matthew Dumont, SSP
Roof 370.6 m, Multi-tenant design (1216 ft)

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=8
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=37692
yeah i saw the new building yesterday there already and immediatly looked it up on SSC, cause i hadnt heard of it before
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #544
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
By your standards childern with Lincoln logs could building them.
You do understand there a building standing, where this needs to go up. Not only that there's the subway, so like I said easier said then done.
What in the world are you talking about? Are you really from Brooklyn? I have no clue what you're saying.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #545
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...s-russell.html

Behemoth Tower Packs 2.83 Million Square Feet of Blight: James S. Russell

An architectural rendering of 15 Penn Plaza. The tower tapers only slightly as it rises about 1,200 feet.

An architectural rendering of the the lobby of 15 Penn Plaza. Across from Penn Station in New York City, the tower would rise sheer from the ground, tapering back beginning at the 58th floor.
The design by architect Pelli Clarke Pelli for Vornado Realty Trust intends to accommodate a financial firm with trading floors extending as large as 70,000 square feet at the base.

A view looking east to West 32nd Street from Penn Station in New York. 15 Penn Plaza would rise 1,200 feet on the north side of the street, after the 23-story Hotel Pennsylvania is demolished.

A view looking west on West 32nd Street in New York. A zoning variance permits 15 Penn Plaza to rise about five times as high as the building to the north (right in photo), the Hotel Pennsylvania, which would be demolished.

By James S. Russell
Nov 9, 2010

Quote:
A behemoth office tower that may rise opposite Pennsylvania Station would deface New York City’s skyline and cast a pall over surrounding streets already shortchanged on light and air.

Vornado Realty Trust’s 15 Penn Plaza will stack as much as 2.83 million square feet on a site that was zoned to accommodate just 1.6 million square feet.

The tower tapers only slightly as it rises about 1,200 feet -- the height of the Empire State Building -- dwarfing two massive cookie-cutter residential towers to the south that are a sad legacy of Manhattan’s recent housing boom.

Architect Rafael Pelli, of Manhattan-based Pelli Clarke Pelli, carved slit-like corner recesses to slim 15 Penn’s glassy bulk, but this overweight monster appears to be bursting at its seams.

Stroll along the jammed sidewalks of West 32nd Street or West 33rd, east of Seventh Avenue, breathing in the diesel exhaust of idling trucks and buses. The blank walls of a multilevel retail mall or the blank wall of several massive trading floors -- depending on the tenant mix -- will line half the length of the block.

Scoops, Freebies

How did this thing get so huge?

Vornado controls the entire block, and so it has made the tower bigger by scooping up unused zoning square footage from the site of the careworn Manhattan Mall that occupies the Sixth Avenue side, and piled it onto the tower site.

In addition, the city has allowed a further free 270,000 square feet of development rights.

Should the tower be built -- that depends on getting enough tenants to sign on in advance -- the rest of us would be gifted with somewhat enlarged and less dingy subway stairs, among several modest transit improvements for which officials granted Vornado 474,000 additional square feet.

That’s the equivalent of stacking a good-sized office tower atop an already massive one.

There’s no space for what could be a real amenity on this unpleasant street: a plaza. Instead, we get minor widening of some of the city’s most overcrowded sidewalks.

High Ceilings

For all its great height, 15 Penn contains only 67 stories. Some are tall to accommodate trading floors as large as 70,000 square feet at the base and even office floors are 14 feet apart (compared with the old standard of 11.5).

The hoped-for financial-industry tenants (in palmier days Merrill Lynch) want to pack staffers tightly into large floors ranging up to 34,000 square feet. High ceilings are essential to avoid claustrophobia.

That’s good for tenants, but a super-tall building owes the skyline an expression of New York City’s optimism and energy. A soaring landmark has cash value, too, though Vornado, large and experienced as it is, can’t seem to calculate it.

Vornado justified the great size of an earlier incarnation of the tower because it would contribute millions to overhaul the grim overcrowded maze that is Penn Station. Several other similarly over-scaled developments proposed nearby make the same argument. However, the Penn project remains in limbo.

Hudson River Tunnel

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie’s absurd cancellation of the Hudson River tunnel may well repel investment on both sides of the river, as it makes long-term congestion appear unsolvable.

So chances are commuters will fight their way through even larger Penn Station crowds or into the eternally embarrassing Madison Square Garden sports arena.

Latent in Pelli’s design is a better tower. If its recesses were deepened and its bulk slimmed it could come alive on the skyline.

A no-aspiration mood has prevailed around Penn Station since its tragic 1960s rebuilding. What should be a great neighborhood has been an also-ran too long.

The 500,000 daily travelers can’t get away from the sordid surroundings fast enough.

The 15 Penn tower is important enough to change that dynamic if Vornado decides to care.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #546
RobertWalpole
BANNED

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...s-russell.html

Behemoth Tower Packs 2.83 Million Square Feet of Blight: James S. Russell

An architectural rendering of 15 Penn Plaza. The tower tapers only slightly as it rises about 1,200 feet.

An architectural rendering of the the lobby of 15 Penn Plaza. Across from Penn Station in New York City, the tower would rise sheer from the ground, tapering back beginning at the 58th floor.
The design by architect Pelli Clarke Pelli for Vornado Realty Trust intends to accommodate a financial firm with trading floors extending as large as 70,000 square feet at the base.

A view looking east to West 32nd Street from Penn Station in New York. 15 Penn Plaza would rise 1,200 feet on the north side of the street, after the 23-story Hotel Pennsylvania is demolished.

A view looking west on West 32nd Street in New York. A zoning variance permits 15 Penn Plaza to rise about five times as high as the building to the north (right in photo), the Hotel Pennsylvania, which would be demolished.

By James S. Russell
Nov 9, 2010

Quote:
A behemoth office tower that may rise opposite Pennsylvania Station would deface New York City’s skyline and cast a pall over surrounding streets already shortchanged on light and air.

Vornado Realty Trust’s 15 Penn Plaza will stack as much as 2.83 million square feet on a site that was zoned to accommodate just 1.6 million square feet.

The tower tapers only slightly as it rises about 1,200 feet -- the height of the Empire State Building -- dwarfing two massive cookie-cutter residential towers to the south that are a sad legacy of Manhattan’s recent housing boom.

Architect Rafael Pelli, of Manhattan-based Pelli Clarke Pelli, carved slit-like corner recesses to slim 15 Penn’s glassy bulk, but this overweight monster appears to be bursting at its seams.

Stroll along the jammed sidewalks of West 32nd Street or West 33rd, east of Seventh Avenue, breathing in the diesel exhaust of idling trucks and buses. The blank walls of a multilevel retail mall or the blank wall of several massive trading floors -- depending on the tenant mix -- will line half the length of the block.

Scoops, Freebies

How did this thing get so huge?

Vornado controls the entire block, and so it has made the tower bigger by scooping up unused zoning square footage from the site of the careworn Manhattan Mall that occupies the Sixth Avenue side, and piled it onto the tower site.

In addition, the city has allowed a further free 270,000 square feet of development rights.

Should the tower be built -- that depends on getting enough tenants to sign on in advance -- the rest of us would be gifted with somewhat enlarged and less dingy subway stairs, among several modest transit improvements for which officials granted Vornado 474,000 additional square feet.

That’s the equivalent of stacking a good-sized office tower atop an already massive one.

There’s no space for what could be a real amenity on this unpleasant street: a plaza. Instead, we get minor widening of some of the city’s most overcrowded sidewalks.

High Ceilings

For all its great height, 15 Penn contains only 67 stories. Some are tall to accommodate trading floors as large as 70,000 square feet at the base and even office floors are 14 feet apart (compared with the old standard of 11.5).

The hoped-for financial-industry tenants (in palmier days Merrill Lynch) want to pack staffers tightly into large floors ranging up to 34,000 square feet. High ceilings are essential to avoid claustrophobia.

That’s good for tenants, but a super-tall building owes the skyline an expression of New York City’s optimism and energy. A soaring landmark has cash value, too, though Vornado, large and experienced as it is, can’t seem to calculate it.

Vornado justified the great size of an earlier incarnation of the tower because it would contribute millions to overhaul the grim overcrowded maze that is Penn Station. Several other similarly over-scaled developments proposed nearby make the same argument. However, the Penn project remains in limbo.

Hudson River Tunnel

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie’s absurd cancellation of the Hudson River tunnel may well repel investment on both sides of the river, as it makes long-term congestion appear unsolvable.

So chances are commuters will fight their way through even larger Penn Station crowds or into the eternally embarrassing Madison Square Garden sports arena.

Latent in Pelli’s design is a better tower. If its recesses were deepened and its bulk slimmed it could come alive on the skyline.

A no-aspiration mood has prevailed around Penn Station since its tragic 1960s rebuilding. What should be a great neighborhood has been an also-ran too long.

The 500,000 daily travelers can’t get away from the sordid surroundings fast enough.

The 15 Penn tower is important enough to change that dynamic if Vornado decides to care.
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #547
kingsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
What in the world are you talking about? Are you really from Brooklyn? I have no clue what you're saying.
look at the post above the one I wrote.

Last edited by kingsc; February 3rd, 2011 at 03:11 AM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #548
Hippodamus
GRID all the way

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Its not a bad building , Unfortnatly the owners let the interior go to waste.....which is a shame.
You got that right. Some time ago I had a room in this hotel. If I didn't bring any ducktape the hotel room window would have fallen onto some pedestrians because it's come loose from its frame (no joke). I think the owners are saving too much money on maintanance just to point out there needs to be a big development there
Hippodamus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:42 AM   #549
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippodamus View Post
You got that right. Some time ago I had a room in this hotel. If I didn't bring any ducktape the hotel room window would have fallen onto some pedestrians because it's come loose from its frame (no joke). I think the owners are saving too much money on maintanance just to point out there needs to be a big development there
Well a few members of this site went around the building a few weeks ago and it looked very nice. Also the Developers are now in hot water up in Boston for failing to complete a project.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:37 AM   #550
Handbanana

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Well a few members of this site went around the building a few weeks ago and it looked very nice. Also the Developers are now in hot water up in Boston for failing to complete a project.
That project in boston is nothing new, and it is unrelated to whether or not vornado would be able to put up 15 penn plaza. Also, how the hotel looks is entirely subjective. I for one think it is for the most part (the entrance does look rather nice) a godawful, run-down piece of shit disgracing midtown.
Handbanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:42 AM   #551
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbanana View Post
That project in boston is nothing new, and it is unrelated to whether or not vornado would be able to put up 15 penn plaza. Also, how the hotel looks is entirely subjective. I for one think it is for the most part (the entrance does look rather nice) a godawful, run-down piece of shit disgracing midtown.
Watch this video then....recomment...

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM   #552
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

That is in Boston and has nothing to do with 15 Penn. In the last three years it has been difficult to maneuver with the credit markets in shambles. The markets are thawing. Also, because of the stiffer credit, developers might pool resources in to one "sure thing" instead of spreading resources out to many smaller unproven projects. There is no way that 15 Penn doesn't do well. A primarily residential tower in Boston during/at the end of a recession... Might not be such a safe bet.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM   #553
RobertWalpole
BANNED

NY and London are the only first world markets that have a strong demand for space and that demand is driven by their unique financial dominance. Just because prospects are bleak in Boston, Chicago and elsewhere doesn't mean that they're bleak in NY and London.

PS: DC also has a strong demand for space at the moment.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:04 AM   #554
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
NY and London are the only first world markets that have a strong demand for space and that demand is driven by their unique financial dominance. Just because prospects are bleak in Boston, Chicago and elsewhere doesn't mean that they're bleak in NY and London.

PS: DC also has a strong demand for space at the moment.
Gotta love DC! They were smart, limit the height of buildings in the capital of the largest economic power in the world. Now it has huge demands for space and may always because it can't shrink, so the business just keeps spreading out.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:06 AM   #555
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
I made a few pictures of Hotel Penn outside/inside- they are on my flickr page. did you see them?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #556
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Here's a possible tenant for part of 15 Penn in the multi-tenant scenario.

Related woos Coach
Related eyes Coach bags
Last Updated: 2:10 AM, November 30, 2010

Posted: 1:59 AM, November 30, 2010

Comments: 0 More Print Steve Cuozzo
REALTY CHECK

Stephen M. Ross's Related Cos. has a leathery catch on the line for its planned Hudson Yards development project -- New York-based luxury goods maker Coach, Inc.

Sources told us booming Coach is prowling for up to 600,000 square feet of office space on the West Side for a new corporate home. Coach has been "exchanging paper" with Related regarding Hudson Yards as well as with other landlords in the area, the sources said.

Publicly-traded Coach was founded here in 1941. Its leather bags, accessories and other products are sold at 400 stores in the US and Canada, including eight in Manhattan. But few shoppers know that Coach is also a big office-space user.

The company owns its 265,000-square-foot headquarters building at 516 W. 34th St., which it once used for manufacturing and where it still maintains a small factory to produce samples.

It also has a few hundred thousand square feet at 450 W. 33rd St. and at a smaller building on 34th Street. "Now, they've outgrown their premises," a source explained.

There's no letter of intent for Hudson Yards, at least not yet. But a source described the Related talks as "still a work in progress but very serious." Financially strong Coach currently has around $1 billion in cash on its balance sheet to play with.

The 26-acre Hudson Yards site bounded by 10th and 12th avenues between West 30th-33rd Streets -- most of it above the West Side rail yard -- is to be developed by Related and OMERS, the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System. Last May, Related signed a deal with the MTA to lease the site for 99 years, with the partners putting in a $21.75 million deposit.

The project is eventually to include 21 million square feet of development. The master plan calls for three corporate headquarters sites, 5,000 apartments in nine buildings, "destination" retail, a luxury hotel, a new public school, cultural facilities and 12 acres of public open space.

It was understood last night that Coach and Related weren't focused only on one of the office sites, but were exploring "options" at all three.

The MTA/Related deal is contingent on several economic-climate yardsticks. As is typical of such public-private arrangements, it's full of escape clauses and trap doors allowing either side a way out. Moreover, Related must first build a platform over the tracks.

But Related has said previously that with a tenant, work could start as early as 2012. And, if history proves anything, nothing can get a huge project off the ground -- and make all the issues go away -- like a tenant commitment.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz16ldnsTyn
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:44 AM   #557
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Sounds good. Let's see what happens ...
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 06:02 PM   #558
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Wait, they are going to demo manhattan mall too? This is a travesty. All for some trading firm? I really used to love NYC, but now it's just starting to sicken me. No respect for the things that made the city what it is today, just squeeze maximum profit at the expense of everything else.

- A
Old January 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM   #559
kingsc

I use to love NYC too, wait a minute I still do. Might have something to do with fact that I'm from here. Happy New Year
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:28 AM   #560
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
Wait, they are going to demo manhattan mall too? This is a travesty. All for some trading firm? I really used to love NYC, but now it's just starting to sicken me. No respect for the things that made the city what it is today, just squeeze maximum profit at the expense of everything else.

- A
says who? I never heard that

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado