daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #601
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

MOMA wasn't cut because of ESB. it was cut because the people who live around it, didn't want shadows on their homes.

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #602
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

tough luck, you live in New York, if your worried about shadows move to Staten Island.
I say build build build.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #603
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post

tough luck, you live in New York, if your worried about shadows move to Staten Island.
I say build build build.
Unfortunately, Manhattanites don't want you to do that, never mind Staten Islanders.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #604
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
MOMA wasn't cut because of ESB. it was cut because the people who live around it, didn't want shadows on their homes.
MoMa was cut because a certain lady didn't like the top. A real Burden she is.
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #605
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I hate when people say how a building would make ESB look small. It is unnatural for an old building to hold the crown for so long. It is the natural way of skyscrapers to rise higher and higher with time. If the builders of the ESB would think like this, they would have never built it "out of respect for the CHB" I am looking forward to the time when the ESB will look like a mouse surrounded by elephants. That'll be an awesome sight
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #606
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

^I agree 100%. While I agree, ESB is a wonderful piece of art and architecture, it's reign should've ended a long time ago. It's almost disappointing to know that nothing without the words "World Trade Center" in it's name haven't surpassed it in 80 years... Eighty years guys. EIGHTY.

In 30 years, maybe 4 or 5 buildings will become tallest in their city. But only two buildings have ever surpassed ESB in Mew York. I don't see why the ESB guys are bitching about 15 Penn. It's still not taller then the ESB.

I think they'll compliment each other really well. An old building that gets smaller and more slender as it reaches it's pinnacle, and a new, rather "fat" building that reaches it's height to the roof.

And I also look forward to the day when ESB becomes almost unseeable in New York. That'll be something else...
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #607
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

If you read the article (which I can't find the link to but I believe is on NY post) by bloomberg, he words it quite well. He delivers the idea that esb's reign is more than outdated in a well worded, sophisticated way
Old July 9th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #608
Dirty new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker
If you read the article (which I can't find the link to but I believe is on NY post) by bloomberg, he words it quite well. He delivers the idea that esb's reign is more than outdated in a well worded, sophisticated way
(the article about bloomberg not by him) my mistake, it is about the argument between Bloomberg and esb owner Andrew malkin, and bloomberg spoke at an interview during a city counsel. He basically said that the nonsense about the loss of esb as an American icon isn't true and won't stop the "decision makers" from approving future projects: for instance 15 Penn and tower verre
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #609
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1955

I think the ESB owner was just acting out of his own greed, though. Had he not owned ESB I'm sure he wouldn't be putting up as much resistance.

besides, 15 Penn Plaza and ESB near one another will just be an amazing bonus for Midtown's skyline...
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #610
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22549

^ that's part of the controversy, 15 Penn will block views of the ESB in the skyline. http://brianabbott.net/observations/...state-building i dont believe this is an official rendering but one where the height is exaggerated. The message is clear nonetheless. personally i don't mind this addition.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #611
Dirty new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??eux

I think the ESB owner was just acting out of his own greed, though. Had he not owned ESB I'm sure he wouldn't be putting up as much resistance.

besides, 15 Penn Plaza and ESB near one another will just be an amazing bonus for Midtown's skyline...
If only malkin and others would realize that..,
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #612
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Every building in the city blocks views of the ESB from some angle.

People are retarded.
Old July 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #613
Kanto
Roof height crusader

So Malkin is troubled by 15 blocking ESB from one angle, but ESB blocking 15 from the opposite angle is okay? Malkin seriously needs to visit a psychiatrist
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #614
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Won't the view of New Jersey from the ESB be blocked by 15 Penn Plaza?
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #615
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker View Post
I hope they don't resort to the 850 foot compromise. Because the taller the more marveling obviously. But it would still be a fascinating building
NY air rights are worth gold. Not building to the maximum height permitted by air rights would be like burning money. It won't happen. That being said. This tower might be a few years away because it would need to be priced around $125/sf. That price will be very hard to achieve because Related is building around 4m sf of subsidized office space that it is leasing for cost at $75/sf. Also, Penn Station is a shody area that's only now starting to revive. It has the potential to be stunning because it's filled with pre-WWII office towers that are beautiful and simply need TLC.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #616
Dirty new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork
Won't the view of New Jersey from the ESB be blocked by 15 Penn Plaza?
15 Penn plaza when it is built will stand two blocks east of esb, so the only view it could possibly obstruct is part of Brooklyn, if other already built building don't do that to begin witth
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #617
Dirty new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker

15 Penn plaza when it is built will stand two blocks east of esb, so the only view it could possibly obstruct is part of Brooklyn, if other already built building don't do that to begin witth
I'm sorry it will be built on the WEST side. Now that I think about it it may block a view of nj and on the other hand may block a view of esb from jersey. All depending on were you viewpoint is obviously
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #618
EuropeanChancellor

Likes (Received): 34

It reminds me a 2WFC in Hong Kong! Despite the fact its really beautiful piece of architecture! With so much development in China Im glad that there is something going U/C in US or Europe
EuropeanChancellor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #619
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

That's right. 2IFC is a fantastic building, so I'm pretty sure that 15 Penn will be a beautiful tower too. Maybe it should have been a bit taller (~400m), so the bulkiness wouldn't be that "extreme". I always liked slender towers more.
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #620
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
That's right. 2IFC is a fantastic building, so I'm pretty sure that 15 Penn will be a beautiful tower too. Maybe it should have been a bit taller (~400m), so the bulkiness wouldn't be that "extreme". I always liked slender towers more.
I 100% agree with you. I think they should make it at least 421m tall. This way it would have a more conventional shape

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado