daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #781
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

The ESB has had it's run, I love it to death but NY should keep building taller buildings, it's not like the ESB is going anywhere, it will just be like Philly's city hall, which is now eclipsed by several 2-300 meter buildings. It's still there and a landmark, but the city would look silly if there were no skyscrapers.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #782
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28194

couldn't agree more.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #783
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

I have to agree with others, as great as the ESB and Chrysler are, it's time to move forward and incorporate more talls around the area which should be seen as accompanying that part where the ESB resides rather than competing with it, facing lower manhattan and the World Trade center complex on the otherside.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #784
CB31

Likes (Received): 2162

Time-out seen in skyline war
Wednesday, December 14, 2011, by Dave Hogarty

Defenders of midtown skyline sanctity and Empire State Building owners Malkin Holdings can breathe easier today now that Vornado Realty Trust announced its plans that it may renovate the much maligned Hotel Pennsylvania rather than erect a towering glass challenger to the ESB and just ruin everything. The battle between the two buildings—one beloved, the other still a glass dream—was fought in the court of public opinion, before the City Planning Commission, and in many renderings that showed how the skyline would be dramatically altered by the addition of 15 Penn Plaza for good or bad.

For now it seems like more mundane concerns like a weak economy and a failure to attract big financial firms as tenants, along with competition from other development projects (e.g., Brookfield's four tower Manhattan West project on 9th Avenue) made Vornado decide that renovation of the Hotel Pennsylvania is a better short term bet than erecting an 1150-foot challenger to the Empire State Building.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...aza_halted.php
CB31 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #785
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

The Real Deal

Quote:
Vornado considers renovating Hotel Pennsylvania instead of erecting massive skyscraper
December 14, 2011 09:00AM

Vornado Realty Trust has put off constructing a massive skyscraper that would challenge the Empire State Building's height at 15 Penn Plaza, sources told the New York Post, and might even pour millions into renovating the hotel that currently occupies the site.

With market rents still hovering below the rates necessary to make office development profitable and the financial firms that would make sensible anchors cutting operations instead of expanding, Vornado has decided to hold off on the development. Further clouding the project's future is the competition rising just west of 15 Penn Plaza, where both the Related Companies and Brookfield Office Properties are preparing to begin construction on Hudson Yards and Manhattan West, respectively.

As a result, Vornado is mulling a complete renovation of the Hotel Pennsylvania that currently resides on the site, along Seventh Avenue between 32nd and 33rd streets. One real state executive said it could cost $30 million just to renovate the hotel's 1,000 rooms, and millions more to update the lobby and common areas.

[...]
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #786
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Hotels are really hot in New York right now while the supertall space is getting crowded. Developers follow the financing (like hungry pigeons lol) so it seems Vornado is going to renovate the Pennsylvania. yay!

...But that tower would still look great if built somewhere in Gotham.
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #787
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

While I would've liked it if this building was built, I guess I can understand why they aren't building it. But still, it sucks. If this would have been built, it would show NY that it's okay to build tall and next to the ESB. The ESB has had it's time on the throne and now it's time for the city to build taller. There's nothing wrong with challenging or even surpassing ESB. As of now, it seems that a total of 4 projects will surpass it's height, and one other project will be about it's height. But the ESB is an 80 year old building. I don't know how right that it's still number 1.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #788
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB31 View Post
Time-out seen in skyline war
Wednesday, December 14, 2011, by Dave Hogarty

Defenders of midtown skyline sanctity and Empire State Building owners Malkin Holdings can breathe easier today now that Vornado Realty Trust announced its plans that it may renovate the much maligned Hotel Pennsylvania rather than erect a towering glass challenger to the ESB and just ruin everything. The battle between the two buildings—one beloved, the other still a glass dream—was fought in the court of public opinion, before the City Planning Commission, and in many renderings that showed how the skyline would be dramatically altered by the addition of 15 Penn Plaza for good or bad.

For now it seems like more mundane concerns like a weak economy and a failure to attract big financial firms as tenants, along with competition from other development projects (e.g., Brookfield's four tower Manhattan West project on 9th Avenue) made Vornado decide that renovation of the Hotel Pennsylvania is a better short term bet than erecting an 1150-foot challenger to the Empire State Building.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...aza_halted.php
Brookfield's 4 towers? I thought there were planned only 2 of those?
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #789
Filipe_Teixeira

Likes (Received): 850

OMG please do not construct this tower. ESB should stay isolated. in addition, New York can't continue destroying his old and charming buildings like this

Lisboa
Filipe_Teixeira no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #790
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Kanto, there are two smaller buildings, one will be residential and one is up in the air, could be office, could be hotel, could be a combo. Neither will be as tall as the twinish build ins we know but both will be several hundred feet, I'd do some research as the details are sketchy and hard to come by. But the twin-ish office buildings we know are just the first phase, then followed by the other two.

NY has plenty of other projects to follow and eventually this will be built, but looks like it's in hold for a couple of years.

Edit: the third building at Manhattan West will be between 1-1.2 million square feet and will most likely be a residential, or hotel, or a combo. That's a tall building. The fourth will be much smaller by all accounts and retail and some office or hotel.

Last edited by yankeesfan1000; December 15th, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #791
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Even though my view of the Empire State building is DIRECTLY in the path of where 15 Penn Plaza is set to be made (seriously, I calculated it and everything) I'm still all for construction. I live on 28 and 8av. The site for the Brookfield Towers (1000ft+)are 3 blocks away, the proposed Madison Avenue addition (950ft) and Madison park tower (650+ft) are right next to my school, on my way I get an amazing view of 1WTC, and 4WTC under construction. I'm all for the construction of these buildings.

Last edited by Arawooho; December 15th, 2011 at 01:24 AM.
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #792
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

I have no real qualms about this, because that hotel will be demolished and replaced with a supertall office tower at some point, inevitably. A matter of time is all this is.
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #793
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Translation: Vornado doesn't have the goods.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #794
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Translation: Vornado doesn't have the goods.
+ 100

I would have said as much earlier. Vornado is losing badly in the New York sweepstakes.
Old December 15th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #795
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

What the hell ... I can not believe it. This was one of the best projects in New York, super tall and still very close to the Empire State. As stated in a previous review, was the chance to proof that we can build something as large near the ESB.
Regrettable. For me it was one of the worst news of the year.

But the thing is: everything was good to be true.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #796
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Hotel Penn is trash and so is the owner of ESB
Old December 15th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #797
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

Im ok with this not going up compared to some of the other towers. but i would still prefer if it did
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #798
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

With Vornado at the helm this has about as much chance of happening as Darelle Revis tackling Tim Tebow.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #799
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

This tower and 2 and 3 WTC are a few years off. No developer can compete cost-wise with Related's Hudson Yards. Silverstein and Vornado need to clear $90 to $100/sf to make their projects viable. Once Vornado leases its 6m sf, which might not take more than a few years, then the other projects will proceed. That being said, I'd like to see the Hotel Penn landmarked. It was a stunning building and can be restored.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #800
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Yea NYC is probably the most dissapointing skyscraper city, I'm not going to hold my breath for any of the other supertall proposals either.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado