daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #1181
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I disagree, it should be insulted. The design is good looking but forgettable and shouldn't be spread all over the world like it is.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #1182
(:

Likes (Received): 229

I honestly think that the Hudson yards area needs a "good looking but forgettable" design

Funkyskunk2, iamtheSTIG liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #1183
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Of the Pelli clones around the world, this would easily rank last in attractiveness -- 2 IFC in HK, Salesforce Tower in SF, and Gran Torre in Chile are all superior. But even if this was an improvement, NY shouldn't settle for another re-hash of the only design Pelli seems capable of, especially in such a prominent location. Back to the drawing board, dude.
It's still far better than this crap, dude.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #1184
Subsequence

Likes (Received): 50

onewtclover liked this post

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 04:10 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #1185
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28194

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Of the Pelli clones around the world, this would easily rank last in attractiveness -- 2 IFC in HK, Salesforce Tower in SF, and Gran Torre in Chile are all superior. But even if this was an improvement, NY shouldn't settle for another re-hash of the only design Pelli seems capable of, especially in such a prominent location. Back to the drawing board, dude.

I tend to agree. With 371 meter, this one will be very prominent in the skyline, so it needs a great design.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #1186
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

This design is not final and will evolve according to this interview by Yimby with Pelli last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post

(Dec 2013) Interview with the Architect: Rafael Pelli - New York Yimby http://newyorkyimby.com/2013/12/inte...ael-pelli.html

Re: 15 Penn

Well, it's not a complete design; there's a lot remaining to fully design that building. The final one that was approved was set close to Seventh Avenue, and it was a very developed concept from an urban standpoint, in terms of city planning. They wanted to know how the height and mass would interact with the city, what the set-backs would be like, and how it would affect the site. Really, how it affects the city from the outside- but as a worked-out building on the inside, there’s a lot to be determined, and that’s going to depend on the tenant. If this ends up being for a financial institution, it’ll be one kind of building; if it's for a big software company, it'll be another kind of building. And it's going to evolve; it will be refined further depending on tenancy.

I'm sure it'll evolve in ways I can't fully anticipate right now, but what we have today is just an elegant concept. I think it would be a beautiful skyline presence as a tapered form, but in a more contemporary way. But there's still a lot of work to do.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

iamtheSTIG, pteranodon, onewtclover liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; August 14th, 2014 at 07:16 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #1187
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Yeah, look, I'm not honestly holding my breath for something wildly better unless the architect gets changed (I'd expect something appropriately iconic in this spot from, say, SHoP, maybe Richard Rogers or Renzo Piano, a few others...) but I do hope that Pelli's refinements at least make it the best looking of the bunch. The best medicine might just be to make it taller, stretch out that fat stump of a design into something a little more slender.
Old August 15th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #1188
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

I would not miss the Hotel Pennsylvania

but I would miss the Empire State Building, which was looking especially good today.
Looking east from the Penn plaza area along the W 33rd street canyon, Hotel (Sh)Pennsylvania/whatever-it's-called-now on right, ESB in background to left:

8.14.2014, beautiful afternoon

onewtclover liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 18th, 2014 at 07:16 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #1189
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1549

Leave the bold designs to China?

That's a rather defeatist attitude.
Joshua Dodd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #1190
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Leave the bold designs to China?

That's a rather defeatist attitude.
Considering that this tower is basically the same as HK's tallest, that statement isn't completely true. Also, SF is going wild over a scaled down version if 15 Penn.

bodegavendetta, Hemeroscopium liked this post
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #1191
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

The design of this tower is nothing special really - just another Pelli clone. It will surely block ESB and it is a shame to see Penn hotel gone. I think it and also Roosevelt hotel is part of history of NYC worth saving. Not every corner should be modern glass and towers. It is more than enough of glass buildings that look absolutely the same in this city.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #1192
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
The design of this tower is nothing special really - just another Pelli clone. It will surely block ESB and it is a shame to see Penn hotel gone. I think it and also Roosevelt hotel is part of history of NYC worth saving. Not every corner should be modern glass and towers. It is more than enough of glass buildings that look absolutely the same in this city.
I'd emphasize saving the Roosevelt over the Hotel Pennsylvania but I don't want the Pelli design to be the ultimate choice because I have seen that it's a copycat and for a new century, a new millennium if you're going to challenge the ESB (which I have no problem in itself.. it's ludicrous to believe the ESB alone must stand above others in the area for perpetuity especially with so many towers coming to the West Side and to the Midtown/ Central Park area) It HAS to be a design worthy of being a modern New York City icon, an original instead a variation of a style that has several times been represented by Pelli. It's an insult if it doesn't celebrate a New York vision but instead is a knockoff... nice but nowhere near what this city deserves.
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #1193
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Well put citybooster!!!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #1194
HardBall

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
The penn hotel is not in good shape, and not many parties would put up the requisite funds unless there is substantial long term future in terms of its revenue generation abilities.

If that doesn't happen, the hotel in its current condition is better demolished. As of its current condition, it is not fit to be part of a vibrant and developing area of midtown, at such a strategic location.

citybooster liked this post
HardBall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #1195
rlw777

Likes (Received): 470

Calling this a Pelli clone I don't think really acknowledges the history / diversity of skyscraper architecture. lots of buildings have had tapering crowns. I think this design is meant to be more of a reference to the ESB by beginning the curve of the crown right around the setbacks of the crown of ESB and by mirroring the ESB with that long line down the center. That being said I agree with most of the opinions on here. It's a pretty sub-par design.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #1196
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

If it was a different architect, I probably wouldn't call it a "Pelli clone," because yes, he's hardly the first person to do a tapering skyscraper. But I mean the term in the Orphan Black sense -- as if Pelli were a scientist who'd made a batch of genetically identical beings, then dressed them up in different clothes in order to pass them off as individuals:

It's really just my way of saying the dude could stand to be more imaginative, especially when he's been gifted such an iconic spot.

onewtclover, Hemeroscopium liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 03:56 PM   #1197
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
I hear Lehman Bros. is interested in leasing a section of the new tower, but because of their current situation, not to mention their plummeting share price, the chances of this happening grow smaller everyday.

Also made for a a good book & movie "Too big to fail".

Which brings us, ~6 years after the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Lehman Bros (745 7th Ave opened in 2001, 16 blocks north of the Hotel Shpennsylvania), to our current construction boom in NYC.
Who is financing all these site acquisitions, renderings, architects, building loans??
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #1198
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

A couple of interesting things filed last week with Dept of Planning land use application system to note for 15 Penn.

1) Seeks FAR bonus for subway and transportation facility improvements

2) Renewal to modify height and setback requirements to construct a commercial building which was approved back in 2010.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #1199
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Great news, VG!
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #1200
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28194

moving ahead.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado