daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2015, 07:44 AM   #1281
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
So is this going to be built?!
Not in the near future

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #1282
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

A plan to convert parts of the Waldorf-Astoria hotel into condominiums was announced last year. Considering the plan to demolish the Hotel Pennsylvania to make room for a new office tower is going nowhere at this point, what does anyone think of the possibility of converting the Hotel Pennsylvania into residential condominiums as well? I would hate to suggest a further reduction of New York City's overall hotel inventory, though.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #1283
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
A plan to convert parts of the Waldorf-Astoria hotel into condominiums was announced last year. Considering the plan to demolish the Hotel Pennsylvania to make room for a new office tower is going nowhere at this point, what does anyone think of the possibility of converting the Hotel Pennsylvania into residential condominiums as well? I would hate to suggest a further reduction of New York City's overall hotel inventory, though.
I thought hotels have been adding a large amount of rooms, this cycle?

Guess I have a misperception.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #1284
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

NEW YORK | 15 Penn Plaza | 371m | 1216ft | 68 fl | On Hold

No there's a lot of new hotel construction to replace the conversion of older hotels.

Especially on the west side and North Brooklyn.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

phoenixboi08 liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 01:03 AM   #1285
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

The old luxury hotels do not have the open spaces and large panoramic glass that the new ones do. It is a different crowd that they appeal to, and unfortunately, they are not vacationing in "Gritty" New York City.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:08 AM   #1286
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
What does anyone think of the possibility of converting the Hotel Pennsylvania into residential condominiums as well?
Live across from Penn Station? No thanks.

I think most oligarchs will agree.

With great connections, it is prime office location, on the other hand.

bodegavendetta liked this post
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #1287
Tower Dude

This will either be a massive complex office or a new larger hotel.

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Old May 10th, 2017, 02:40 PM   #1288
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

This one just won't die. Hopefully this time it'll finally move forward... with a more interesting design.

Finance firm in talks over Vornado’s jumbo skyscraper
http://nypost.com/2017/05/09/finance...bo-skyscraper/

Quote:
It’s déjà vu all over again. Financial firms are in talks with Vornado Realty Trust for its proposed 3-million-square-foot jumbo skyscraper known as 15 Penn Plaza, which would replace the dowager Hotel Pennsylvania on Seventh Avenue.

“Morgan Stanley is looking very hard at [15] Penn Plaza,” our Midtown spy reported.

According to another scout, Vornado is presenting new building designs and not just the original 1,216-foot- tall Pelli Clarke Pelli design that passed New York City muster a decade ago.

That approval had ticked off the Empire State Building’s owners as it would elbow its way onto the skyline just 900 feet away.

But that was before the world changed and Merrill Lynch’s imminent deal at the tower evaporated. It was also before collaborative, open-plan work spaces and outdoor spaces became millennial must-haves.

“Steve Roth understands space and architecture better than most developers and, if he was going to restart the project, any tenant that size would be part and party to that design,” explained another source, referring to Vornado’s chief executive.

“It’s not just the look and feel of it, but does someone want AC under the floor and not on top? Whoever the tenant is will have ideas of their own. It’s a big, beautiful building with large floor plates in the base that would be great for collaboration,” the source said.

After a question from an analyst on Vornado’s May 2 conference call, Roth said, “There is stuff going on with the Hotel Pennsylvania and stuff going on with 2 Penn.

Two Penn, you might recall, sits opposite the hotel on Seventh Avenue and provides a gloomy entrance to both Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. It is slated for a dramatic base redo designed by Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) and a redevelopment to tie in with One Penn and create a complex with 4.2 million square feet.

Vornado, Related Cos. and Skanska will also close by next month on the purchase of the Farley post office, where they are already pitching a 750,000-square-foot office tower topper over the new Moynihan Train Hall.

Another global money reservoir likely to have a connection with Roth is Deutsche Bank. Its home at 60 Wall St. was recapitalized when Singapore sovereign wealth fund GIC took a 95 percent stake in January, with Paramount Group holding the rest.

The owners will likely try to renew the Deutsche lease, which expires in early June 2022 but has no fewer than five, five-year extension options. The first decision comes by early October 2020, public documents show.

Vornado is also facing competition for the few tenants like Morgan Stanley and Deutsche Bank that need a million square feet and trading floors.

Both are likely talking to Tishman Speyer about the BIG-designed 66 Hudson Blvd. — known as the Spiral — and to Related for a spot at 50 Hudson Yards.

If you think anyone would comment on the matter, I have a bridge you can buy. Stay tuned.

Oatmeal, MarshallKnight liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #1289
Oatmeal

Likes (Received): 476

How likely is this? I don't want to get my hopes up too high...
Oatmeal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #1290
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

NEW YORK | 15 Penn Plaza | 371m | 1216ft | 68 fl | On Hold

I won't hold my breath over this but I am thrilled to hear they're updating the design. The Pelli design is inelegant at best and would have really bummed me out.

I wouldn't hate to see something like SHoP's "Gotham Gateway" rise here...

Tower Dude liked this post

Last edited by MarshallKnight; May 10th, 2017 at 08:01 PM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #1291
WillBuild

Same story at curbed.

I really hope that they keep the Pelli Clark Pelli design. (Yes, I'm probably in the minority.)

Quote:
The plan to replace Hotel Pennsylvania with a giant office tower may be back on the table again, the New York Post has learned. The developer, Vornado Realty Trust, is in talks with several financial firms to get the long-dormant project back up and running.

Vornado had previously received the city’s approval to replace the nearly 100-year-old hotel, located on Seventh Avenue, across the street from Penn Station, with a 1,216-foot office building to be known as 15 Penn Plaza.

When anchor tenant Merrill Lynch backed out in 2013, the project hit a standstill. It was reported shortly after, that Vornado wanted to focus its energies on the proposed transformation of One and Two Penn Plaza, including a redesign of Two Penn’s base by Bjarke Ingels.

A conference call the company had scheduled earlier this month (where it was fielding questions from analysts), revealed that Vornado had renewed its interest in the Hotel Pennsylvania project.

Vornado wants to create the 15 Penn Plaza project based on the needs of the anchor tenant, and Morgan Stanley is reportedly looking into it at the moment, according to the Post. In fact, the Post has learned that Vornado is also presenting alternate designs along with the original Pelli Clarke Pelli design.
From ny.curbed.com

I'll miss HOPE.

KillerZavatar liked this post

Last edited by WillBuild; May 10th, 2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #1292
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

The Pelli design in that location was one of my favorite projects in New York. It's not as skinny as many other projects and the proportions look really good. It also works really well with the Empire State Building.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #1293
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Rumor has it that Vornado has brought in BIG to draw up some possible new designs to pitch to the prospective tenants.
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:04 AM   #1294
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Oh no not BIG. Then I'd rather have "identical Pelli design #56455."
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #1295
Tower Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
Rumor has it that Vornado has brought in BIG to draw up some possible new designs to pitch to the prospective tenants.

Ah F***, you have to be F***ing Kidding me don't let BIG design over 600'!!

Old May 11th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #1296
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Now why on earth would anyone do that? Here's to hoping it's not terrible

To be be fair though, the new 2WTC design has grown on me, hopefully it won't be a total disaster.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:03 AM   #1297
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

I haven't seen that corroborated anywhere but BIG is doing the revamp of 2 Penn (remember the Marilyn Monroe skirt facade?) so it wouldn't surprise me if Vornado was trying to create a cohesive complex.

Not thrilled if that's the case. Whatever rises here will be sharing some rarified air with ESB. And BIG has shown they would rather grab the spotlight with out-there designs than try to fit in with something that'll stand the test of time.

streetscapeer liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #1298
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10286

Quote:

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

germantower liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #1299
WillBuild

Quote:
Please no.

germantower liked this post
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #1300
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I haven't seen that corroborated anywhere but BIG is doing the revamp of 2 Penn (remember the Marilyn Monroe skirt facade?) so it wouldn't surprise me if Vornado was trying to create a cohesive complex.

Not thrilled if that's the case. Whatever rises here will be sharing some rarified air with ESB. And BIG has shown they would rather grab the spotlight with out-there designs than try to fit in with something that'll stand the test of time.
I actually sort of liked that 2 Penn revamp proposal for the couple of minutes after I first viewed it, but then I realized that whenever it rains, the entire block surrounding that fat box is going to become a waterpark. Even worse, it would send giant chunks of ice flying in the winter. And not to mention the fact that the support structures would require Calatrave-level infrastructure costs.

BIG's 2 Penn proposal is idiotic. Honestly, I liked BIG for the first couple of years surrounding the development of their Midtown pyramid, but now it is painfully clear that BIG is a grotesquely-bloated zit on the face of modern architecture.
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
15 penn plaza, hotel pennsylvania, madison square garden, new york, new york project, penn station, vornado