daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:29 PM   #181
rheintram
yeah, whatever
 
rheintram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,598
Likes (Received): 924

That's right, but besides that building a second north-shouth corridor also accounts for the immense growth in urbanization and population along the coast line.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:51 AM   #182
RoadUser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 200
Likes (Received): 21

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here...

Anyway, here are some new pics from my daily commute:

IR has been installing a new information system in all of its stations for the past several months. It includes new, uniform electronic signs on the platforms and in the station halls. Most have illuminated orange text, but some station halls have colour LCD screens too.

This is on Platforms 3 and 4 at Modiin Central:



and this is in the main hall:



Sorry about the photo quality. This is actually quite a small one. There is a bigger one currently being installed above the main escalators going down into the station.

The system also includes new audio announcements on the platforms. I don't know whether it is connected, but the installation of this new system also coincided with a really dramatic improvement in punctuality of the trains recently.

IR also started accepting the Rav-Kav card about six months ago. This is the notional equivalent of London's Oyster - a chargeable card that can be used on buses and trains all over the country. To use it on the train, you have to charge it with train tickets; either a monthly pass or regular tickets - you can't charge it with cash and pay as you go. There are two types of card readers.

Red ones, as here in Modiin Central:



and black ones, as here at Herzliya. These seem to be used on the suburban lines, but I don't know what the difference is, other than that they seem to have more of them in each station:



R.
__________________

elab, javimix19, Robi_damian, rheintram liked this post
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #183
elab
Tran$portation fan
 
elab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highway No.2 (TA-Hadera)
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 681

Poleshet rail junction near Ashdod is completed.
Expecting to open straight traffic TA-Ashkelon via Yavne-Maarav next month

... looking to the south:



looking to the north:

__________________
elab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #184
javimix19
Registered User
 
javimix19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Donostia-San Sebastián
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1328



It looks great!
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #185
elab
Tran$portation fan
 
elab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highway No.2 (TA-Hadera)
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 681

THNX

Some aerial pics by Boaz_L of BS-line trip... "from green to yellow":

Lod railway yard:



to the south:









Kiryat Gat:











Laavim-Raat st. approaching desert.....







Beer-Sheva:



BS hub U/C:





BS terminal:

__________________
elab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #186
javimix19
Registered User
 
javimix19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Donostia-San Sebastián
Posts: 749
Likes (Received): 1328

Thank you elab, I wanted to see some photos from Beersheva and I've see here.
It's a city that I want to meet, in the middle of the desert of the Negev (what a difference between Tel Aviv and Beersheva, one is green and the other is white)
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #187
elab
Tran$portation fan
 
elab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highway No.2 (TA-Hadera)
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 681

Another clip of IC3 DMU (train of 5 3-cars modules) 160+ km/h operation:

elab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #188
mcarling
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,605
Likes (Received): 491

Jerusalem approves NIS 1.1b. for Light Rail extension

http://www.jpost.com/National-News/J...tension-318044

Fair use excerpt:

"The Jerusalem Regional Planning Committee approved a NIS 1.1 billion allocation from the Transportation Ministry’s budget on Wednesday to extend the Jerusalem Light Rail line to Hadassah Ein Kerem Medical Center.

According to the ministry, the extension will take two years to complete and add more than 21.9 kilometers (13.6 miles) to the light rail’s current route – resulting in a total of 36.2 kilometers (22.5 miles) of tracks."
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:18 AM   #189
FortuneCookie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 85
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Hi elab I see in your last post that Israel is planning a connection with Jordanian railways, that is great.
Is planned more connections with Egypt and Lebanon? (I exclude Siria because it is not the moment)
Imagine a connection with Tel Aviv-Jerusalem with Ammann and Cairo. The posibilities of tourism, commerce, etc. (Yes I know that there are political facts but I only ask about technical posibilities)
...
Up until about 75 years ago, when the British ruled most of the area, all of the countries' rail systems in the region were connected (though you might consider Jordan to have been only partially connected since it only had narrow gauge lines and train movement to and from Jordan was limited to the few narrow gauge branches in adjoining countries).

Very unfortunately today, essentially none of the network in Lebanon remains, In Syria it's maintained but in a low level, in Jordan only disconnected parts of the narrow gauge network operate. Railways are the backbone of Egypt's public transportation network, however, lack of maintenance is a problem. Also, despite the Egyptian government's constant promises to revive the Sinai railway line from Western Sinai to El Arish and Rafah, there has been no such work, moreover, even the part of the line that was refurbished in the Western part of the peninsula in the early 2000s has been neglected for several years now (that's part of an overall theme of the Egyptian government towards the Peninsula and its residents - with the lack of investment being one of the reasons behind the unrest there).

The "possibilities" in the region are large but in reality, only Israel and Saudi Arabia have been making very high investments in rail infrastructure. While the other countries would like to do so as well, unfortunately they don't have the means to revive and modernize their rail networks.
__________________

javimix19 liked this post
FortuneCookie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 09:31 AM   #190
RoadUser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 200
Likes (Received): 21

Here's another video.

The 8:26 to Modiin and the 8:27 to Binyamina arrive simultaneously at Tel Aviv Central Station. The time is 8:26 am.

__________________

elab liked this post
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:31 PM   #191
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover
 
Rodalvesdepaula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sorocaba (SP), Brazil
Posts: 49,432
Likes (Received): 40723

I'm suprised to see the well-developed Israeli railway system. It could be a inspiration for my land.
__________________

rheintram liked this post
Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #192
mcarling
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,605
Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortuneCookie View Post
Up until about 75 years ago, when the British ruled most of the area, all of the countries' rail systems in the region were connected (though you might consider Jordan to have been only partially connected since it only had narrow gauge lines and train movement to and from Jordan was limited to the few narrow gauge branches in adjoining countries).

Very unfortunately today, essentially none of the network in Lebanon remains, In Syria it's maintained but in a low level, in Jordan only disconnected parts of the narrow gauge network operate. Railways are the backbone of Egypt's public transportation network, however, lack of maintenance is a problem. Also, despite the Egyptian government's constant promises to revive the Sinai railway line from Western Sinai to El Arish and Rafah, there has been no such work, moreover, even the part of the line that was refurbished in the Western part of the peninsula in the early 2000s has been neglected for several years now (that's part of an overall theme of the Egyptian government towards the Peninsula and its residents - with the lack of investment being one of the reasons behind the unrest there).

The "possibilities" in the region are large but in reality, only Israel and Saudi
I agree with everything up to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortuneCookie View Post
While the other countries would like to do so as well, unfortunately they don't have the means to revive and modernize their rail networks.
Here I disagree. The other countries in the region have ample money to maintain and expand their rail infrastructure but choose to spend it on other things, most of which do not benefit the general population.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #193
RoadUser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 200
Likes (Received): 21

Hi all,

The new 13XX series locomotives have gone into service.

I photographed this one, which was on its way to Hod Hasharon, from the 8:49 to Binyamina this morning:

__________________

elab, Robi_damian, zvir liked this post

Last edited by RoadUser; August 5th, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #194
elab
Tran$portation fan
 
elab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highway No.2 (TA-Hadera)
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 681

Congrats for the first photo of EURO3200 locomotive in action!!
I gonna hunt it too!
elab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #195
[email protected]
"Chewie, we're home"
 
Moss@d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 7,743
Likes (Received): 7949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
I'm suprised to see the well-developed Israeli railway system. It could be a inspiration for my land.
You can say that again, friend!
__________________
"Dizem que Charles Miller tinha duas bolas em sua bagagem, ao voltar ao Brasil. Uma, como sabemos, era de futebol. A outra, era oval."
Rugby do Brasil

".בְּאֵין תַּחְבֻּלוֹת יִפָּל עָם וּתְשׁוּעָה בְּרֹב יוֹעֵץ"
משלי י"א:י"ד

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
Moss@d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #196
trainrover
:-x
 
trainrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,787
Likes (Received): 738

Well-developed? That holy land there has now just taken on yet another dimension, what with their halting the tunneling of an intercity line upon belatedly realizing their boring the wrong way.
__________________
.
hee hee
.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #197
FortuneCookie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 85
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I agree with everything up to this point.


Here I disagree. The other countries in the region have ample money to maintain and expand their rail infrastructure but choose to spend it on other things, most of which do not benefit the general population.
Well, we have to agree to strongly disagree on that.

Egypt barely has enough money to import food and Jordan is in constant crisis because they can't afford to import fuel. Lebanon can't produce enough electricity for its population. Plus, it is a lost case rail-wise since all of their previous glorious rail infrastructure has been completely destroyed and paved over and they certainly don't have enough money to rebuild everything from scratch. Syria is a total mess with a collapsing economy. It's very simple, these are poor countries which cannot afford the capital investments required for a modern rail system. It is what it is.

Yes, they spend all their money on other things... things like food, fuel and electricity. Obviously those things have to come before putting money into a rail system. It's not a matter of choice.
FortuneCookie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #198
dark_shadow1
arctic tern
 
dark_shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,106
Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Well-developed? That holy land there has now just taken on yet another dimension, what with their halting the tunneling of an intercity line upon belatedly realizing their boring the wrong way.
As far as I know, they found out to be around 60 centimeters off-course after around 4-5 kilometers of boring, out of over 11.6 kilometers. The full effects of the mistake aren't clear yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Here I disagree. The other countries in the region have ample money to maintain and expand their rail infrastructure but choose to spend it on other things, most of which do not benefit the general population.
Pretty much only oil-rich countries in the Middle East have extra money, and they seem to prefer subsidizing gasoline over investing in public transportation.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #199
trainrover
:-x
 
trainrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,787
Likes (Received): 738

Oh really? coz one of their English-language dailies over there down-played the ****-up, claiming the distance bored to be dozens of metres.
__________________
.
hee hee
.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #200
mcarling
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,605
Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortuneCookie View Post
Egypt barely has enough money to import food and Jordan is in constant crisis because they can't afford to import fuel. Lebanon can't produce enough electricity for its population. Plus, it is a lost case rail-wise since all of their previous glorious rail infrastructure has been completely destroyed and paved over and they certainly don't have enough money to rebuild everything from scratch. Syria is a total mess with a collapsing economy. It's very simple, these are poor countries which cannot afford the capital investments required for a modern rail system. It is what it is.

Yes, they spend all their money on other things... things like food, fuel and electricity. Obviously those things have to come before putting money into a rail system. It's not a matter of choice.
These countries are only poor because their leaders have embezzled billions, they have idiotic socialist regulatory burdens, screwy tax regimes that provide all the wrong incentives, and they waste billions on offensive military spending not needed for their defense. Obviously, Syria is recently a special case because of the ongoing civil jihad, but the above applied there prior to the start of the civil jihad.

They most certainly could have maintained and improved their transportation infrastructure but chose the options listed above instead.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium