daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2016, 10:46 PM   #521
Herzeleid
Caribe

Likes (Received): 2502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
this part of Jerusalem is NOT part of Israel.
according to who? left wing and muslim goverments?

Bart_LCY liked this post
Herzeleid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2016, 01:04 AM   #522
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Whoah! This is where it gets dangerous. In the view of most western governments, including the United States (GOP and Democrats alike...), this part of Jerusalem is NOT part of Israel.
I am a bit confused. Even if what you are saying is true, how is this "dangerous"? Israel already provides various services to this part of Jerusalem, including utilities, bus and light-rail transport. Is mainline rail somehow different?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 01:46 AM   #523
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

That division of Israel is based on what was a temporary cease-fire in 1948. Before then, the city was united and that part was inhabited by Jews. So its important to note the full historical background and not be pedantic.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 02:46 AM   #524
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

Isn't it disingenuous to conflate costruction of large tunnels at a depth of 80m through one of the oldest cities in the World, with layers upon layers of shared history, ending so close under arguably the most contested patch of sanctified land anywhere, with surface-level transport services on already-present roads and water pipelines? They're not really that similar are they? We don't even have to argue about Jerusalem - which I believe is way out of topic here.

Whatever the views are on that part of Jerusalem, which we cannot but agree are markedly divergent, I think that this railway and tunnel extension is going to be one piece of hotcake that will unfortunately just contribute to the ceaseless conflict already existent.

This is a sincerely genuine question - just how necessary is this extension?
Old November 2nd, 2016, 04:03 AM   #525
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post
This is a sincerely genuine question - just how necessary is this extension?
I agree this is a genuine question and one that Israeli infrastructure authorities will need to consider, especially given the high costs of tunneling. My understanding is that the Old City of Jerusalem is among the top tourist sites in the Middle East and as of now everyone must either walk there or take motorized transit (or maybe light rail to Damascus Gate). So there is presumably a lot of demand for this already. After Jerusalem-Tel Aviv HSR opens, will light rail become overburdened in the Yafo Street corridor? This may be a longer-term solution.

Presumably the stop location would be at the site of the existing bus stop at Dung Gate? There may be a way to make this work without having to dig directly below the Old City.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 11:15 PM   #526
yishbarr
Yishai

Likes (Received): 174

It wont reach the old city. As far as I know, it would only reach Mamila. And it's time that the Israeli government start ignoring the international community's opinion about this, because this region is extremely underdeveloped, and the UN is unfairly biased.
yishbarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 05:23 PM   #527
elab
Tran$portation fan

Likes (Received): 683

If A1 will be extended to Mamila area then the next reasonable step would be to extend the line to Han station (1.4km) and then renew tracks to Malkha

elab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 05:47 PM   #528
yishbarr
Yishai

Quote:
Originally Posted by elab View Post
If A1 will be extended to Mamila area then the next reasonable step would be to extend the line to Han station (1.4km) and then renew tracks to Malkha

There is something like this somewhere, but I doubt that it would happen, because the Han station isn't a station anymore, and that would face opposition from the residents. What I think that they might do is to make a branch to link straight to Malcha.
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #529
Sameboat
Map assistant

Likes (Received): 144

As the one who is responsible for this Israel Railways (passenger) diagram for Wikimedia, I was asked by fellow Israeli Wikipedians to add the recently opened Atlit to Beit She'an service to the map. I am not Israelite and I have never been there, not to mention that I don't know Hebrew language at all. But I am little bold to add the Haifa Airport into my map which isn't even in the official map. Learning from its English Wikipedia article, it seems the importance of Haifa Airport is waning. I can't even verify the "Egged bus no. 58" which claims to be connecting the airport with Kiryat Hayim, Hutzot HaMifratz and Lev HaMifratz railway stations as told in the official site. So I want to know from you guys if this bus route still exists and if including Haifa Airport in the railway map is even a good idea. Thank you.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #530
yishbarr
Yishai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameboat View Post
As the one who is responsible for this Israel Railways (passenger) diagram for Wikimedia, I was asked by fellow Israeli Wikipedians to add the recently opened Atlit to Beit She'an service to the map. I am not Israelite and I have never been there, not to mention that I don't know Hebrew language at all. But I am little bold to add the Haifa Airport into my map which isn't even in the official map. Learning from its English Wikipedia article, it seems the importance of Haifa Airport is waning. I can't even verify the "Egged bus no. 58" which claims to be connecting the airport with Kiryat Hayim, Hutzot HaMifratz and Lev HaMifratz railway stations as told in the official site. So I want to know from you guys if this bus route still exists and if including Haifa Airport in the railway map is even a good idea. Thank you.

It couldn't hurt to add it. Haifa airport even has 2 flights to Cyprus and 1 to Greece. And I don't think that they're going to build an airport in Megiddo.
Old March 26th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #531
elab
Tran$portation fan

U/C Carmiel line before testing runs.
(Credits to Алекс from Parovoz gallery)

http://intl.parovoz.com/newgallery/?...LNG=RU#picture

Ahihud station:

Carmiel station:

Old March 26th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #532
elab
Tran$portation fan

The first of 62 TRAXX AC locomotives for Israel Railways just left Bombarier plant in Kassel (Germany).

http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?n...7&action=dview

Robi_damian, rheintram liked this post
elab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #533
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

High-speedtrain Tel Aviv-Jerusalem

Set to open in 2018, this extraordinary rail route will revolutionize travel between Israel’s two biggest cities.

Currently it takes about an hour to drive the approximately 60 kilometers (37 miles) northwest from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv, though traffic jams often lengthen the trip. An old scenic train route chugs along from the remote southwest corner of Jerusalem, winding around the hills and making several stops before reaching Tel Aviv two hours later.

When it opens in the first half of 2018, the high-speed route will take less than 30 minutes, including a stop at Ben-Gurion International Airport. It will service Tel Aviv’s existing four railway stations and a new transportation hub alongside Jerusalem’s Central Bus Station and light-rail stops.

https://www.israel21c.org/high-speed...own-the-track/
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #534
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Its about a half à year now that the valley line opened. How does it fare today ? Are the loadings satisfactory ? How is it served, clockface timing ? And with which rolling stock ? I was there when it was under construction, followed the path of the old Hedjaz line till the broken bridges in the Yarmuk valley. Any chance to see the line reopening further than Beit She'an ? Tiberias would be a good candidate...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #535
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

Press release from Bombardier:

Quote:
Bombardier to Provide 33 Additional TWINDEXX Vario Double-Deck Coaches to Israel Railways

May 10, 2017 Berlin
Transportation, Press Release

Bombardier to Provide 33 Additional TWINDEXX Vario Double-Deck Coaches to Israel Railways

Fifth order will increase Israel Railways’ fleet of Bombardier-built double-deck coaches to 462
Greater comfort, increased capacity and more frequent service for Israel’s public rail transport

Rail technology leader Bombardier Transportation announced today that it has signed a contract to provide 33 additional BOMBARDIER TWINDEXX Vario double-deck coaches to Israel Railways (ISR). This call-off is part of a framework agreement signed in October 2010 and is valued at approximately 56 million euro ($61 million US). Delivery of the new coaches is scheduled to be completed by February 2019.

(...)

The new coaches are an improved version of those currently in operation with ISR and will provide an enhanced travel experience. They will be equipped with carpeting on both levels, a state-of-the-art passenger information system, powerful air-conditioning, bogies with secondary air-suspension, and a safety system that allows departure only after passenger doors have fully closed. Hauled by the new BOMBARDIER TRAXX AC electric locomotives ordered in 2015, each eight-car train features seating capacity for 1,000 passengers.

The popular trainsets, based on a proven platform concept, are in operation across Europe and are compliant with all current safety, comfort and efficiency standards. They will represent great strides in helping alleviate congestion in Israel.

As a full solution provider, Bombardier Transportation operates a service depot in Haifa where existing 293 double-deck coaches are being upgraded for a speed of 160 km/h and for electric traction. This month, a Bombardier team began qualifying local staff to carry out the final assembly of the eight, recently-delivered coaches at an ISR shop floor in Be’er Sheva, part of a call-off from March 2016.

rheintram liked this post
Bart_LCY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:00 AM   #536
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Its about a half à year now that the valley line opened.
1.How does it fare today ?
2. Are the loadings satisfactory ?
3. How is it served, clockface timing ?
4. And with which rolling stock ? I was there when it was under construction, followed the path of the old Hedjaz line till the broken bridges in the Yarmuk valley.
5. Any chance to see the line reopening further than Beit She'an ? Tiberias would be a good candidate...
1, 2: Quite fine. Only the data for the last quarter of 2016 has been published, but it seems like 3 of the line's station will serve more than 300,000 passengers per year (each). Kfar-Baruch lags behind, has was expected.
3. Mostly 1 train per hour per direction. 2 trains per hour during the rush hours.
4. not sure
5. I think that the current plan is for tracks from Afula to Tiberius, which will be a part of the proposed Hadera-Afula railway. There are also plan to continue the line from Beit-Shean to Hamat-Gader and from Beit-Shean to Jordan, but I highly doubt there are enough potential passengers to justify the high cost of the first proposal, and political issues, in addition to the poor state of Jordan's railway system probably make an extension to Jordan impossible in the near future.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #537
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Many thanks for all those answers !
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 12:11 AM   #538
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Coast to capital in 28 minutes. The opening of the Jerusalem-Tel Aviv line in April 2018 will be the biggest transportation event in recent Israeli history.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=539
Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:10 AM   #539
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 508

Not to bring politics into this - but those new stations should become nodes for new, high density settlements, rather than those making settlements on Palestinian land.
This would ease tension and let the region become more economically regular and consistant - breeding a happier, more balanced society

toquielkan liked this post
Marsupalami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #540
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

Israel Train Museum in Haifa & Haifa East Station

Haifa East is no longer passangers station. It's an operational station, including train yard, workshop etc.

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio

elab liked this post
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote