daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #161
elab
Tran$portation fan

Likes (Received): 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
How does the truck supoort it? Locomotives can weigh dozens of tons in some cases...
XAN_ is right.
BTW, EURO3200 loco weights 88 tons "only"
There are trailers that capable to carry even heavier locomotives... This is 123t EURO4000 locomotive:

Vossloh export type locomotives and trains cannot be transported by railrolling since spanish gauge is different (for example: wider then standard gauge used in Israel). Therefore company uses trucks for locos delivery from Valencia factory.

However, sometimes in the countries that use even the same gauge, locos are not allowed to run "themselves"......
old Israeli G12 in US on their way to Mount Vernon depot for utilization:

elab no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 15th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #162
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1290

Hi, Israeli forumers first of all say that I admire a lot your country.
I read in english Wikipedia that Israel did a lot of refurshibements in the rail infraestructure in the last 20 years. Three questions: (you can answer what you want of course )

- Is the rail to Beersheva finished (refurbishement)? How much time costs now going to Beersheva to Tel Aviv?

- Is the High Speed Rail between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv under construction or the works are halted? I read (in wiki of course ) that rail is going to be finished in 2017.

- Works on the rail to Eilat are going to start soon, or this rail is only in planning stage?

Thank you, and I hope soon to visit Israel.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #163
elab
Tran$portation fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Hi, Israeli forumers first of all say that I admire a lot your country.
I read in english Wikipedia that Israel did a lot of refurshibements in the rail infraestructure in the last 20 years. Three questions: (you can answer what you want of course )

- Is the rail to Beersheva finished (refurbishement)? How much time costs now going to Beersheva to Tel Aviv?

- Is the High Speed Rail between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv under construction or the works are halted? I read (in wiki of course ) that rail is going to be finished in 2017.

- Works on the rail to Eilat are going to start soon, or this rail is only in planning stage?

Thank you, and I hope soon to visit Israel.
Hi javimix19! Beer Sheva line reconstruction is completed about a year ago. You can get BS from TA for 55 min (price: 30 NIS or about $8.25).

Regarding high-speed railway between TA and JRS - check this post (previous page ):

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=144

Eilat railway project passed RFI stage and approved. Construction is expected to start somewhere in 2016-17.

javimix19, Robi_damian liked this post
Old June 17th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #164
elab
Tran$portation fan

Another EURO3200 locomotive with IR registration 1301 (still in house Vossloh livery) on its way to Germany for various testing before shipping to Israel:

Robi_damian liked this post
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #165
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 2433

Do you have any pictures with the works on the Acre-Karmiel, Ashkelon-Beersheba or Gan Yavne - Ashdod sections?
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #166
elab
Tran$portation fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Do you have any pictures with the works on the Acre-Karmiel, Ashkelon-Beersheba or Gan Yavne - Ashdod sections?
Carmiel line (U/C):

Near Carmiel:

Ashkelon - Beer-Sheva (U/C):

Yavne-Maarav - Ashdod link (U/C):

Robi_damian, javimix19 liked this post
Old June 18th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #167
Robi_damian

Beautiful. The level of construction is just awesome. Israel will have an excellent network in a few years' time.
Old June 18th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #168
elab
Tran$portation fan

There is another important line U/C: Haifa - Beit-Shean (a part of historical Hidjaz line or "Rakevet HaEmeq").
Besides passenger link between Haifa and Ezrieli valley towns it's potentially planned to connect jordanian city of Irbid via Hussein crossing with israeli railway network.
Since civil war and turmoil occurred in Syria, the only way to connect Jordan with Mediterranean sea is the link to Haifa.

Works in progress:

Robi_damian, javimix19, Busfotodotnl liked this post
Old June 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #169
javimix19

Hi elab I see in your last post that Israel is planning a connection with Jordanian railways, that is great.
Is planned more connections with Egypt and Lebanon? (I exclude Siria because it is not the moment)
Imagine a connection with Tel Aviv-Jerusalem with Ammann and Cairo. The posibilities of tourism, commerce, etc. (Yes I know that there are political facts but I only ask about technical posibilities)

I have also other question ( I know that I'm pretty boring )

- How much time it costs now by railway go from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv? And by road? ( I see in google maps that there is a motorway)
Old June 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #170
elab
Tran$portation fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Hi elab I see in your last post that Israel is planning a connection with Jordanian railways, that is great.
Is planned more connections with Egypt and Lebanon? (I exclude Siria because it is not the moment)
Imagine a connection with Tel Aviv-Jerusalem with Ammann and Cairo. The posibilities of tourism, commerce, etc. (Yes I know that there are political facts but I only ask about technical posibilities)

I have also other question ( I know that I'm pretty boring )

- How much time it costs now by railway go from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv? And by road? ( I see in google maps that there is a motorway)
javimix19, as far as I know, Jordanian railways use narrow gauge. If this project will come true - it will be special line and not the straight connection between networks.. at least until Jordan will change its gauge to 1,435 mm standard.

Regarding links with Egypt and Lebanon...... It would be great! 70 years ago there were railways via Rosh-HaNikra to Sidon in Lebanon and via Gaza, El-Arish, Qantara to Alexandria in Egypt... even via Zemakh to Damascus..... We still see remains of tracks. Sad!
Unfortunately today all mentioned countries politically prefer to stay apart from each other as well as economically they don't share any interest that might need railway connection (tourism - maybe the only one). Moreover, future Eilat-Mediterranean railway link would become considerable threat for egyptian channel of Suez.

Today railway trip from Jerusalem to TA will take much more then hour... By road it will be approx. 45 min depends on traffic situation. BTW note: one of two TA-JRS highways will suffer traffic limits because of reconstruction that begins this year....

javimix19 liked this post
Old June 18th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #171
elab
Tran$portation fan

Two EURO3200 locomotives (reg.No.1303 & 1304) just arrived Kishon Port in Haifa:

Jewish liked this post
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #172
javimix19

I like a lot Modi'in Central Station , is completely underground. I think that is the only underground station in Israel isn't?

Photo taken from English Wikipedia
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #173
elab
Tran$portation fan

Since HaUmma station in Jerusalem is U/C - Modiin Central is the only underground station so far.

Another shot of EURO3200 1303 before landing

Last edited by elab; June 18th, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #174
elab
Tran$portation fan

Euro3200 arrival in Haifa:

Photos of various rolling stock landing Holy land:

.... and old veterans leave to US for utilization and final rest:

javimix19, Coccodrillo, Busfotodotnl liked this post
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #175
javimix19

Where this new rolling stock was constructed? In Europe or in North America? (or in another continent perhaps)

And another general question: excluding high speed rail, what are the projects of railways that are under construction in Israel now? I don't want to bother you so if you have a link I will be content with that.
Thank you.
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #176
elab
Tran$portation fan

Except old US-made G12 and G26 diesel locomotives, all israeli rolling stock made in Europe. Mostly in Germany/Austria (Siemens, Bombardier-european division), Spain (Vossloh/former Alstom factory) and in Denmark (IC3). Also some shunting locos made in Sweden.
All diesel-electric locomotives in Israel equipped with various american GM-EMD (now Caterpillar) engines.

Regarding passenger railway projects (existing - black, U/C - red, approved - purple):

Fresh-fresh from EURO3200 cockpit:

javimix19 liked this post

Last edited by elab; June 19th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #177
Robi_damian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elab View Post

Lemme guess: South of Haifa Hof HaKarmel?
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #178
elab
Tran$portation fan

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #179
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 240

Cool map. Answers some questions I came here to ask.

When all those lines are done, there are few countries in the world that have such a high density of railways.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:40 PM   #180
mcarling

Likes (Received): 185

When the approved lines shown above have been completed, there will be redundant routes all the way from Haifa to Be'er Sheva -- important for a country on the defensive.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote