daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Norway > Oslo

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #1
muster

Likes (Received): 509

FJORDCITY | DnB NOR | 67m | 17fl | Completed

DnB NOR
DnB NOR is a part of the OperaKvarteret highrise clauster

The new headquarters of Norwegian financial institution DnB NOR, a cluster of 3 buildings of the Barcode (Operakvarteret), with approx. 80.000 m2
of mixed usage. Each building is being besigned by one of the 3 original masterplan winners : MVRDV who is responsible for the design of the A-
building, Dark Arkitekter for the C-building and A-lab for the B-building.

Illustration by Placebo Effects

Here is a more detailed description of each building.
DnB NOR Bygg A

Bygg A is the main building in the DnB NOR clauster. Its a pixelated building, designed by MVRDV with 17 floors and a surface of 36,500m2, is due
to be completed in 2012.

The project aims to create synergy and identity for the firm translating social and democratic culture into the design and making the space an
enviable working facility. MVRDV's building is conceived as a steel ‘rack’ which permits adaptation to the flexible nature of the organisation. The
steel rack is wrapped in a stone skin, which adopts Norwegian environmental standards. It appears as a rock, a strong shape within the boundaries
of the Barcode. The niches of this rock provide space for vegetation growth: the positioning of the pixels creates roof gardens or outside areas for
every floor.

The generic office floors which provide more than 2,000 flexible working spaces recline and are recessed in various places to reflect the urban
context and to create communal indoor and outdoor areas and outstanding daylight conditions. At street level the building volume is opened by
sheltered entrance zones, and intersected by a public passage leading to the Oslo Central Station. The pixelated design allows this specific response
whilst being highly efficient and flexible. As a result, every floor of the building is both unique and generic: the pixelated volume makes the generic
specific.

Additional facilities include a panoramic 140 seat canteen on the top level, an executive lounge with a view over the fjord, a board room, in the heart
of the volume, DnB NOR’s trading room with 250 work stations, and the main entrance with a reception and access to the concourse. These collective
elements are connected by a staggered continuous internal route of terraces, encouraging informal meetings and communication between employees
and a series of wooden stairs and bridges allows travel between levels.

More on Urbika
High resolution renderings

DnB NOR Bygg B

The barcode master plan offers very specific constrains and limitations for the building. The envelope in is cut out as a strip 21x105 with a maximum
height of 54m. A-lab’s part of the DnB project consists of a mix-use building of 15 stories: 8 floors of DnB NOR offices, topped with living units, in a
total of 22,000 m2.

The design addresses this program by efficiently compacting flexible office spaces, and optimizing the views and outdoor spaces of housing units,
organized around a raised covered garden. The planning of the office levels allows different combinations of layouts, from open landscape to office
cells - the possibility of variation of the circulation path (along cores or facades) guarantees efficiency in the different solutions, as well as the best
working conditions according to the strict Norwegian regulations for the working environment.

Contrasting with the enveloped “machine” underneath, the housing units rest on 1.000 m2 of common open areas, a garden/terrace elevated from the
street level. With its panoramic elevator and open bridges, this green foyer acts as a buffer that every resident crosses. Opening in both ends to
terraces overlooking the Oslo Fjord to the south or the cityscape towards the north and east, the covered garden is the result of an uncompromising
real estate strategy of the Barcode Plan: one-sided apartments are not allowed - raising the environmental standards and the living qualities in the new
city waterfront.

The result was equally uncompromised, with one gesture the housing area only facing the long facades was removed, creating the garden and adding
two more “inner facades”. These give the opportunity to open an extra window to the outside garden and to the views of the Fjord or the city - Oslo
being relatively low-rise.

More on Urbika

DnB NOR Bygg C

The C building by Dark Arkitekter has fifteen floors and a surface of 12.000 m2. It’s planned completed in 2012. Thirteen generic office floors give 500
workplaces for the bank. The two top floors contain a public restaurant and bar with a 360 degree viewing platform on the roof terrace. An inclined
public panorama elevator connects the view platform and the restaurant/bar on the top with the ground level restaurant at Dronning Eufemias gate,
the new main boulevard of Oslo. At street level the building have a mix of retail and commercial establishments, in addition to one of several dining
lounges in the DnB NOR complex. A two story high public passage penetrates the building, as a part of a public short track through the Barcode site,
leading to the Oslo central station.

The stair shaped volume, each step two stories high, faces south towards the fjord. The fifthteen floor high north façade faces the railroad tracks
and the city. Green landscaped terraces provide outdoor spaces with spectacular view. These “pocket parks” are connected to the indoor social areas,
open over two floors. This openness between inside and outside responds to the Norwegian climate of cold winters and pleasant summer, giving
flexibility in the use of the social areas during the shifting seasons.

Effective generic office floors are facing the terraces and the double high social areas. An internal 15-floors straight flight of stairs runs alongside the
public panorama elevator, connecting the different office levels. Entering this stair is like arriving another world, leaving the busy open office floors
behind. It’s a narrow diagonal room running with the staircase over 15 floors, art all along the walls on one side, the public elevator moving up and
down in the glass tube on the other side and the sky above through the glass ceiling. The feeling of being outside the building, mixed with entering a
semi public space creates a unique atmosphere.

One access the typical office floors through the main core in the north. Meeting rooms, think tanks and other support rooms are placed along the east
facade, facing the main bank building. The large column free open office area runs in the north-south direction, ending on the terraces on the bottom
level, facing the waterfront. At the mezzanine levels you are overlooking the double high common areas, with the terraces the sea view as a back
curtain.

The double high glass facade faces south. The rest of the facades are mainly dark gray concrete cassettes. The weight are reduced by using fiber
reinforced concret. The cassettes of modules 0.9x0.9, 1.8x1.8 or 2.7x2.7 meters and varied depth, creates a mosaic of square shapes, visually adding
solidity and massiveness to the building volume. The window formats follows the same modules.

The DnB NOR C building embodies a building that response to the needs and demands of an effective modern office building- at the same time being a
public building. The public program and roof access add functions to the Barcode area and to the Barcode city-scape. The building itself is
strengthening the identity of the bank and the Barcode area.

More on Urbika

Updated by Ŝróndeimr

erbse liked this post

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; July 26th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
muster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Boscorelli

Likes (Received): 229

WOW!
Absolutely love that!
Boscorelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #3
muster

Yeah, it looks very promising
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #4
kjetilab
YIMBYer.no

Likes (Received): 279

So your guess is that the former Visma-bygget will be part of the DNB Nor HQ? That would be logical, but not certain yet. Great news anyway!
kjetilab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #5
muster

No, Visma is not a part of the DnB deal. You can see the three building here
Old June 8th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #6
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

Why don't use the biggest and best renderings in the first post?
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #7
kjetilab
YIMBYer.no

Aha! I get it now. Now we just have to wait for the architects.
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #8
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 909

Muster: This is the link to the second rendering. Feel free to use it in your first post. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...titled-1-6.jpg

I like theese three new "bars"

The new order in Barcode is

1. PWC
2. KLP
3. Snĝhetta's iceberg
4. Visma (although it probably won't be housing Visma)
5. Some unheard of bread-slice
6-8 DnbNOR
9-11 None heard of
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #9
muster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjetilab View Post
Aha! I get it now. Now we just have to wait for the architects.
ok...
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #10
muster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
Muster: This is the link to the second rendering. Feel free to use it in your first post. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...titled-1-6.jpg
Thanks, its done. How do you upload it?
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #11
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Isn't this the final design? It's far from the scetches that were released with the Barcode-concept. Then these looked like this:

I have a hard time thinking they made scetches like those we see now for no reason...

Muster: Just the classic print screen button
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #12
muster

I think those are out of question now. When OSU announce a deal, the renders are pretty much the real and final thing.

IceCheese, thanks for your support. You could become my 24h helpdesk

About the bread-slice, it looks like a leftover from one of the old opera proposals. It is also very thin, and I cant help wondering how it can work as a good office-building?
Old June 8th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #13
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Don't care about that, the breadslice looks too cool, we need it
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #14
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by muster View Post
I think those are out of question now. When OSU announce a deal, the renders are pretty much the real and final thing.
Yeah, that was what I was trying to say. Didn't put myself to clearly there.. The point was that I didn't get what Kjetilab was saying...

I'm a bit sceptical about the breadslice, at least until we know what materials will be used.
Old June 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #15
muster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
Yeah, that was what I was trying to say. Didn't put myself to clearly there.. The point was that I didn't get what Kjetilab was saying...
My comment wasn`t to clearly either, I was just backing up your comment to Kjetilab I guess the heat is getting to my brain.. I feel I need something. Hmm, maybe.. oh yes
Old June 8th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #16
ĜlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

Looks really good
ĜlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #17
kjetilab
YIMBYer.no

I got your drift right away IceCheese. But something in the glass to cool down would be nice.

My point was that we don't know if any architect is assigned to the buildings, and it was stated in one of the articles that facade material and final design was uncertain still. The volume is known by now, but even if the regulatory work finally is done each and every building has to be approved through a political process.

Am I making myself understandable at all?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM   #18
muster

Quote:
Am I making myself understandable at all?
Yes you are, I`m not sure about the architect situation in Barcode myself. Do we have an assigned architect for the KLP-building? Its under construction, but I cant remember ever heard of an assigned architect.
My thougt was that MVRDV,a-lab and DARK was working on some of these buildings together with OSU and the different companies.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:43 AM   #19
kjetilab
YIMBYer.no

Yes, the KLP-building is drawn by Solheim+Jakobsen. PWC was dravn by A-lab. So I guess the architectural competition is about to start about now...
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM   #20
muster

Quote:
Yes, the KLP-building is drawn by Solheim+Jakobsen. PWC was dravn by A-lab. So I guess the architectural competition is about to start about now...
Article says that the render is from SJ-arkitekter, so I guess this one is also by Solheim+Jakobsen then.