daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #21
eyrie
2cloudsabove9

Likes (Received): 6

I love this design,they must build it
eyrie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #22
revirnik

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey77 View Post
There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just all too easy I think. On the surface all this looks great but in reality it is all very superficial.

It’s not as if there are numerous operatic societies in Dubai clamouring for an opera house of this size in which to perform. The fact is there are no amateur organisations to support the operation of such a facility and there are not going to be anytime soon. The attitude is that they can just buy it in with their vast fortunes but to me that’s not cricket.
In total agreement with you!! Are the people in Dubai really interested in opera? Are the tourists visiting Dubai interested in opera? I don't think so.
Not only in Dubai, but in general: opera and opera houses are too often used to just make a culturul statement.

The empty vessel makes the loudest sound...
revirnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #23
channel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Dubai opera house.

Another box on Dubai's list is ticked.
-Tall buildings
-Waterfront
-Port
-International Airport
-A few multinationals
-Instant 'culture'; Art gallery, opera house.

Dubai really is less than the sum of its parts.
jealous heh

this awesome opera house needs to be built, the one in sydney needs to be challenged, like the burj al arab is unique, so will this opera house.
channel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #24
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralcali19 View Post
well times are changing, and nowadays every large city promotes itself as a cultural and arts hub of the world. Cities vying for this distingish honor, are competing with older more diversed cities(culture, arts, lifestyle)such as London (and many European cities) NYC, and Tokyo, so its kinda hard becoming a sole arts and cultural capital of the world. every city has its centerpiece for the world. By Dubai building this, it will attract exquisite arts and cultural events, but also cultural cities have thier historic districts, which Dubai doesnt have. but Good Luck Dubai.... Nice Design!
Agree ! if you can do it , why not ? building beautiful projects is also a very good investment for City or Country
skyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #25
Big Texan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

it looks like a space ship
Big Texan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #26
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
It’s not as if there are numerous operatic societies in Dubai clamouring for an opera house of this size in which to perform. The fact is there are no amateur organisations to support the operation of such a facility and there are not going to be anytime soon. The attitude is that they can just buy it in with their vast fortunes but to me that’s not cricket.
so sure about that are we?
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #27
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by revirnik View Post
In total agreement with you!! Are the people in Dubai really interested in opera? Are the tourists visiting Dubai interested in opera? I don't think so.
Not only in Dubai, but in general: opera and opera houses are too often used to just make a culturul statement.

The empty vessel makes the loudest sound...
are the people in Amsterdam really interested in Chinese food? Are they interested in Hollywood movies? I don't think so.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #28
montesky
is Loading! Please wait..

Likes (Received): 233

i love everything about it
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #29
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by channel View Post
jealous heh

this awesome opera house needs to be built, the one in sydney needs to be challenged, like the burj al arab is unique, so will this opera house.
The point im trying to make is building lots of buildings does not make a city, its the people and their lives which do. An opera house and art galleries do not make 'culture'. Culture is the lives of a cities citizens and what they create and enjoy. Dubai is building this as a statement just as they have the Burj Dubai; "We are a world city look how tall our buildings are, look how big and impressive our opera house is." But as we all know or at least I hope we do, this does not represent the true nature of the city and its people. And I mean those that were there prior to this building boom. Who, I suspect have been sidelined and have not enjoyed the prosperity which other’s who have mover to their city form elsewhere have.

As I have said before it is simply a superficial fallacy, to demonstrate a supposed cultural richness of a city which seems devoid of such culture.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #30
Sbz2ifc

Likes (Received): 29

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #31
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
The point im trying to make is building lots of buildings does not make a city, its the people and their lives which do. An opera house and art galleries do not make 'culture'. Culture is the lives of a cities citizens and what they create and enjoy. Dubai is building this as a statement just as they have the Burj Dubai; "We are a world city look how tall our buildings are, look how big and impressive our opera house is." But as we all know or at least I hope we do, this does not represent the true nature of the city and its people. And I mean those that were there prior to this building boom. Who, I suspect have been sidelined and have not enjoyed the prosperity which other’s who have mover to their city form elsewhere have.

As I have said before it is simply a superficial fallacy, to demonstrate a supposed cultural richness of a city which seems devoid of such culture.
Opera is a Italian invention and Central-North European cultural thing, so before making statements, thing throughout about it.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #32
Marutokung!

Likes (Received): 15

Zaha island!
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #33
channel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Opera is a Italian invention and Central-North European cultural thing, so before making statements, thing throughout about it.
exactly, its like saying that the sydney opera house is wrong because its in australia
channel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #34
high_flyer

Likes (Received): 16

It does seem to be a case of style over substance, if the opening and closing sentences are anything to go by:

"For lovers of culture, there's really no better place to be than Dubai Opera House", and "Dubai Opera House. Culture defined by design"
high_flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #35
huvet

Likes (Received): 0

Many years ago we in the UK could have had a sublime Opera House by Zaha in Cardiff but the good councillors of that fair city bottled it and although Zaha won the design competition took it away from her.

We are hardly in a position to criticise Dubai for building a world-class building!
huvet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #36
skydive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

thank you
skydive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #37
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Mont Blanc xxxs
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #38
high_flyer

Likes (Received): 16

I'm not denying its a great design, but just because I've got a library full of books, does that make me the most intelligent person?
high_flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #39
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14074

sexy design!! reminds the desert

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #40
etienne

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Dubai opera house.

Another box on Dubai's list is ticked.
-Tall buildings
-Waterfront
-Port
-International Airport
-A few multinationals
-Instant 'culture'; Art gallery, opera house.

Dubai really is less than the sum of its parts.
a UAE firm recenlty developed a robot. it reminds me of those japanese humanoids created by honda. im not sure wether the robot was presented in dubai or abu dhabi, but still its in uae.

so is this "instant technology"? another box to be tickd?
etienne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai, opera, zaha hadid