daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #41
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

The whole sand dunes thing looks cool but I really wonder how practical this is. I wonder what they'll put in those really long strips. Also what about the acoustics in the hall, etc. That's the most important thing of a concert hall. Also it seems very large, doubt there'd be enough people to fill the hall every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey77 View Post
There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just all too easy I think. On the surface all this looks great but in reality it is all very superficial.

It’s not as if there are numerous operatic societies in Dubai clamouring for an opera house of this size in which to perform. The fact is there are no amateur organisations to support the operation of such a facility and there are not going to be anytime soon. The attitude is that they can just buy it in with their vast fortunes but to me that’s not cricket.

Anyway there are plenty of other cities that have less than this but are still better places to live and work. There are plenty of other things Dubai could be spending such vast amounts on which would improve the lives of its citizens far more than an opera house.
That's true it is superficial but don't think that money can't buy the arts. If they wanted to make a professional orchestra then that could be done without much problems. Most musicians will jump at any opportunity to get a steady paying full-time job like this. Of course the orchestra would have to gain a reputation then but if it pays well then you may get 100 people at the audition for say, 5 places.

If you want to develop classical music in a city here's what you need:
A good number of music schools and one high quality conservatory with good teachers, etc.
Job opportunities such as a professional orchestra or two, shows, musicals, etc.
Enough people who will be interested.
Lots of cash.

The lots of cash is important because all this without cash is like a car without petrol.
Anyway once you have this all you do is wait and watch it grow.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #42
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

I constantly wonder how Hadid comes up with such stunning designs
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #43
Room2046

Likes (Received): 0

WOW....another great project.Dubai looks like somewhere in the future
Room2046 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #44
Big Texan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobal_underscore View Post

not even Clinton would touch her
ewwwww

hahaha

THis is one of those buildings where it will be interesting to see if the end turns out as beautiful as the render.
Big Texan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #45
eyrie
2cloudsabove9

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Dubai opera house.

Another box on Dubai's list is ticked.
-Tall buildings
-Waterfront
-Port
-International Airport
-A few multinationals
-Instant 'culture'; Art gallery, opera house.

Dubai really is less than the sum of its parts.
you're a moron, every city in the world strives to have this,what's so lol about Dubai wanting culture
eyrie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #46
somataki

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyrie View Post
you're a moron, every city in the world strives to have this,what's so lol about Dubai wanting culture
Agree. Every city must try to have the best possible infrastructure: stadiums, waterfronts, cultural centers. Why not Dybai, especially when they can build these incredible designs as Hadid's Opera?
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #47
Dutch_Mentor
BANNED

WOW it is just AMAZING!
Dutch_Mentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #48
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyrie View Post
you're a moron
Cheers

Theres nothing wrong with Dubai wanting culture but this sort of top down approach is so superficial that it becomes meaningless.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #49
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

there's actually 2 orchestras in the UAE... and while this is an interesting design, meant to mimic the sand dunes, it looks more like a mountain peak to me lol which i think would look odd in the middle of "sand dunes" and i really hope that it doesn't resemble anything from the air, flamingo, eagle, whatever. that gimic is so overused now in dubai.

the two orchestras are the UAE Philharmonic and the Dubai Chamber Orchestra.. i cant tell much from their website though about their schedules and stuff, other than the DCO plays 2 times a year and i think the philharmonic is for hire only? i'm not sure tho
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM   #50
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2844

Quote:
Cheers

Theres nothing wrong with Dubai wanting culture but this sort of top down approach is so superficial that it becomes meaningless.
While i agree you don't create a cultural heritage by building an opera house, i completely disagree with the rest of your point though. The opera house doesn't get built then suddenly start playing Opera's written this week by local dubaians. It opens and attracts the same musicians and performers that perform in every opera house in the world. Why is it uncultured for the London Philharmonic to play in the dubai opera house, but not for a fat Italian lady to sing Opera in the Royal Albert Hall. I don't see how we're any more cultured because our venues were built longer ago, there has to be something more to culture than when a building was built. Besides an opera house doesn't create culture it showcases it, and with the right performers which Dubai will hire, A little culture will be brought to the area.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #51
afac90
pipearango90

Likes (Received): 20

AMAZING.....AWESOME........dubai ........is the best......
DUBAI the best city ever.....
P!P3
afac90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #52
eyrie
2cloudsabove9

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Cheers

I will say one thing for this opera house tho'.It seems like people are running out of ideas and saying okay, lets make this look like a pile of sand or something, cos,you know,it's Dubai.Or a crumpled shirt or something. I like this design and if built will be a lovely place to visit. But what's next,throw a splat of clay on the floor and say, lets recreate that shape for a stadium?
eyrie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #53
The-King

Likes (Received): 740

interior shots:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
The-King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #54
Erektion

Likes (Received): 55

It's been really interesting reading everyone's comments. I personally understand both sides to the argument.
Firstly, opera didn't orginate in Italy. No one can know for certain seeing as the Ancient Greeks added song and music to their plays. This is arguably the birth of opera although slightly different to today's versions.
Secondly what some are arguing is that an Opera House does not guarantee culture. I totally agree with this. You cannot assume a title just because it's there. Culture is developed over time due to the society's way of life, experiences, etc. Of course you can import culture from elsewhere but it will take time to naturally develop where it hasn't existed before. For this opera house to have 'truth' it must operate in a society where this culture already exists.
Finally, the opera house itself looks wonderful. Very organic in design and at peace with its environment. This of course is just a personal opinion.
I guess if you're going to develop a culture then this is a bloody good start!
Erektion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #55
SLion
:)

Likes (Received): 7

Can't wait to slide down it! =P
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #56
Big Texan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-King View Post
interior shots:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
not so impressed anymore.
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #57
Big Texan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by afac90 View Post
AMAZING.....AWESOME........dubai ........is the best......
DUBAI the best city ever.....
P!P3
you dont get out enough if your going to make that comment.
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #58
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

everyone here assumes that "culture" = western culture.
Dubai has plenty of culture - except that the vast majority of it is not western.

people forget that Dubai has an international population. there are hundreds of thousands of Westerners that are moving to Dubai - these people are used to concept of opera and theatre and thereby they want to have access to their culture while living in Dubai.

Take a look at hollywood films - hollywood is undeniably American... does that mean hollywood does not have global appeal? If Dubai opens up a movie theatre and a mcdonald's, how is that any different from building an opera house? I hate how everyone here thinks "culture" should be exclusive only to the originating countries from where a particular culture arises. if you all had your way, sheesha would only be smoked in Turkey, chinese food would only be found in China, hollywood films would only be found in the US, Van Gogh's paintings would only be seen in the Netherlands, sushi would only be eaten in Japan... and so on. what is wrong with a globalization of culture so that everybody around the world can enjoy aspects of each other's culture?
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #59
Erektion

Hey luv2bebrown I don't think you understood what I said earlier.
I'll repeat it:
"Secondly what some are arguing is that an Opera House does not guarantee culture. I totally agree with this. You cannot assume a title just because it's there. Culture is developed over time due to the society's way of life, experiences, etc. Of course you can import culture from elsewhere but it will take time to naturally develop where it hasn't existed before. For this opera house to have 'truth' it must operate in a society where this culture already exists."
You're getting defensive on the term culture. I think what's important here is the distinction between culture and performing arts. Food culture is another topic altogether.
I'm guessing that the majority of westerners are not aware of Dubai's performing arts culture. I would love to hear about it. Is Opera created and performed there? Are plays popular? Or are there other performing arts that are widely shown?
(By the way, I wouldn't be placing McDonalds as a cultural food desire by any sane country!)
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #60
Erektion

Hey luv2bebrown I don't think you understood what I said earlier.
I'll repeat it:
"Secondly what some are arguing is that an Opera House does not guarantee culture. I totally agree with this. You cannot assume a title just because it's there. Culture is developed over time due to the society's way of life, experiences, etc. Of course you can import culture from elsewhere but it will take time to naturally develop where it hasn't existed before. For this opera house to have 'truth' it must operate in a society where this culture already exists."
You're getting defensive on the term culture. I think what's important here is the distinction between culture and performing arts. Food culture is another topic altogether.
I'm guessing that the majority of westerners are not aware of Dubai's performing arts culture. I would love to hear about it. Is Opera created and performed there? Are plays popular? Or are there other performing arts that are widely shown?
(By the way, I wouldn't be placing McDonalds as a cultural food desire by any sane country!)

Tags
dubai, opera, zaha hadid