daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #361
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 925

New Majorstuen is currently planned with 4 tracks, but two platforms. There will be two different levels, connected under today's Vinkelplassen/Valkyriens plass.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

:jax: liked this post
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #362
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=526

Oslo invites bids for 87 low-floor LRVs
Friday, March 18, 2016

SPORVEIEN Oslo, which operates the light rail and metro network in the Norwegian capital, invites companies to prequalify by May 2 for a contract to supply a fleet of low-floor LRVs

A total of 87 LRVs will be required initially with an option to supply a further 60 vehicles either identical to the first batch or as an extended version of the original design

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Tramwayman, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 08:55 PM   #363
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

The Løren connection opens tomorrow. Invitation video from Sporveien:

dimlys1994, Frank J. Sprague liked this post
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:07 PM   #364
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Pictures a few days before from Aftenposten, which makes the point that Løren is the first new metro station since Sinsen:

http://www.osloby.no/nyheter/Sondag-...r-8414194.html

dj4life, dimlys1994, Stafangr, geometarkv liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:22 PM   #365
Registered_User
Gold member

Likes (Received): 427

Løren metro station and line opened today, as the first new ones in Oslo in 10 years.

Old June 8th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #366
Mathias Olsen

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
Firstly, you can't base the Oslo metro only on the inhabitants of Oslo city, which is just an archaic construction for administration. 350.000 of daily ridership didn't spur from the local population alone. Mind you also, that about 1/8th of the metro network lies in Bærum municipality, meaning the metro of Oslo proper is 74.3 km (your calculation; density 0.113, including Bærum it would be 0.108)).
It is a indeed a simple measurement, however it gives a onedimensional impression of the size of the metronetwork compared with the city population. I am open for a suggestion from your site for a more advanced quantitative method. The measurement proposed by me was to support the claim on Wikipedia that Oslo has the world's most extensive metro per resident.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo

Quote:
Secondly, you can't just make an unbased statement, find one example to verify it, and then say it's everyone else's "job" to prove you wrong. That's not how a debate works.
Ever heard about falsification for logical analysis? When you have found one error in a hypthesis the complete hypothesis is invalid. Google it op or ask someone.

Quote:
For the "proof", there are both cities with greater coverage than Oslo compared to it's population (Rotterdam 0.126, Bilbao 0.125, San Sebastián 0.114) , and there are cities planning a greater network (like Stockholm). There are also cities with similar or smaller networks with A LOT lower ridership (Tyne & Wear, 74.5 km network, 40 mio ridership). Oslo metro is a success, whether you like it or not.
(note that all of these numbers are based on city populations, and the comparison therefor is nonsensical)
Ever been on the Rotterdam metro? You will find out that there are 3 long lines in the network that are defacto tram lines. The line to The Hague is a railroad with trams, called Randstadrail, a regional tram/light train, not grade separated. We can skip >25 km from your Rotterdam metro.
Bilbao is an extreme example with a small city of 345 141, while agglomeration has 950 155. It is a regional metro network, not a metronetwork dedicated for the city of Bilbao. San Sebastián: the same as Bilbao. City population is only 186,095, too small to justify a metro. It is a metro for the Donostialdea area.

For me a metro is a good transport system in an inner city. I use it in old innercities where it is hard to travel by car. I park my car in a suburb and travel by metro. But it is a different situation when public transport is forced to be the only way of transport in a city.
Mathias Olsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 08:27 AM   #367
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Case is developing for the new "Fellestunnel" for Oslo T-bane. Seems they've moved the stations on the eastern branch, replacing Hammersborg with Youngstorget and Olaf Ryes plass with Nybrua.
The article also mentions a long and messy construction period for the city with multiple digging sites in the inner city, including Bislett, Trondheimsveien and Tøyen; maybe Jernbanetorget.

The "Pretzel":

Link to article: http://www.aftenposten.no/osloby/Sli...s-213652b.html

Old June 29th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #368
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

That would be good!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 11:22 PM   #369
Registered_User
Gold member

Likes (Received): 427

The eastern entrance to Nydalen Metro finally reopened yesterday, after opening being postponed 3 months from April 1 via April 30 to June 30.
It has been closed since September, undergoing major reconstruction. Three new escalators has been installed, up from the previous two, a new entrance has been created and, gone is the «Tunnel of light».

dimlys1994, suburbicide, Svartmetall liked this post
Registered_User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 10:55 AM   #370
suburbicide

Quote:
Case is developing for the new "Fellestunnel" for Oslo T-bane. Seems they've moved the stations on the eastern branch, replacing Hammersborg with Youngstorget and Olaf Ryes plass with Nybrua.
A good move, I think. The vast majority using these lines will still be going to the city center, not Grunerløkka. Having the line go further north would be too much of a detour, and be an inconvenience to most riders. This plan seems like a reasonable compromise were new neighborhoods get metro access, whilst not increasing the travel time too much for current users.

The station placements seem to indicate that they're considering shallow stations where feasible. I hope this is the case. It will mean a lot for the success of these stations. If it takes several minutes just to get from street level to the platforms, many will use other alternatives, especially for shorter trips.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 04:18 PM   #371
coolstuff

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered_User View Post
The eastern entrance to Nydalen Metro finally reopened yesterday ... a new entrance has been created and, gone is the «Tunnel of light».
I know tastes differ, but to me the ceiling reminds me to destruction in a war. Anyone here who can explain why they selected this design and with what kind of motive?
coolstuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 06:12 PM   #372
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstuff View Post
I know tastes differ, but to me the ceiling reminds me to destruction in a war. Anyone here who can explain why they selected this design and with what kind of motive?
"Tunnel of light" was replaced due to high maintenance and an urge to open up the station for more natural light.

About the new installation, this is from the jury selection:

Quote:
Med sitt kraftfulle og vitale formspråk, i spennet mellom "vilt og vakkert", vil verket bli et spektakulært og interessant supplement til stasjonens arkitektur samtidig som det vil fremstå med en sterk og klar, egen identitet.
In English, it's chosen for being "wild and beautiful", for it's connection to the otherwise simplistic architecture of Nydalen stn and for having a strong identity.

Last edited by IceCheese; July 22nd, 2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old September 12th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #373
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 753

Oslo plans major tram expansion

Norway’s capital, intent on getting residents out of their cars and riding public transport instead, plans to spend NOK 10 billion over the next eight years to upgrade and expand the city’s tram system[...]

dimlys1994 liked this post
Tågälskaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #374
skyfann

Likes (Received): 53

Great work oslo
skyfann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 01:14 AM   #375
suburbicide

Six suppliers have been pre-qualified in the procurement of 87 new trams:

Alstom (Alstom Transport Norway, Alstom Transport S.A, Alstom Transporte S.A.).

CAF (Construcciones y Auixiliar de Ferrocarriles SA).

Oslo Consortium (Bombardier Transportation Norway AS, Vossloh Kiepe GmbH).

Skoda (Skoda Transportation AS).

Stadler (Stadler Pankow GmbH).

The Consortium of Siemens AG and Siemens AS (Siemens AS, Siemens AG).

IceCheese, Verji liked this post
Old September 24th, 2016, 01:15 AM   #376
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Alstom, CAF or the Consortium with Bombardier sound pretty good to me.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #377
Duesey

Likes (Received): 16

They all sound good to me. Stadler (NSB type 74, 75, Bergen Light Rail) has long-since proven itself, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the Variobahn will have trouble with Oslos more challenging infrastructure - there are dips, twists and turns that requires quite a bit of flexing to manouver through, and the Bergen-variant won't cut it "as is", if that's what they are offering.

I'm also hoping that the Ansaldos will be the first to go. They are just awful, compared to what a tram can be.

Tågälskaren liked this post
Duesey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #378
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 528

Alstom has absolutely no chance also what the hell are they even offering, their rigid bogie with 25 meter radius citadis? hahaha
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 01:08 AM   #379
Maadeuurija

Likes (Received): 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duesey View Post
They all sound good to me. Stadler (NSB type 74, 75, Bergen Light Rail) has long-since proven itself, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the Variobahn will have trouble with Oslos more challenging infrastructure - there are dips, twists and turns that requires quite a bit of flexing to manouver through, and the Bergen-variant won't cut it "as is", if that's what they are offering.

I'm also hoping that the Ansaldos will be the first to go. They are just awful, compared to what a tram can be.
Stadler could offer their Tango as they did in Tallinn... but CAF is also a good option with their Urbos AXL running in Stockholm and Tallinn
Maadeuurija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 10:24 AM   #380
suburbicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duesey View Post

Being the newest, they'll be the last to go. Since the new trams will not be allowed on to T-bane network to go to Bekkestua, they're considering retaining some of the SL95s for this purpose, for the longer term.

Northridge liked this post

Tags
oslo