daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #401
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Oslo metro is always an unique style of its layout. Unlike most metro systems, around the world, which are either crisscross, or stand alone line with each other, Oslo’s system is like a bus or tram or suburban train style layout, that is many branches from a main route, with a sharing common route. It currently has 5 lines— Line 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5— the network is mostly overground. All lines pass through a common tunnel, so it is possible to easily run any line’s train to any line, simply like a suburban train or tram network, although metro routes don’t run in such a way. Due to mostly over-ground, it runs through open valley, hilly area, field, almost like a suburban train. From photos I saw it is wonderful to run a metro rail on a snowy hill, especially in winter. The whole atmosphere is then covered by snow, and tracks, 3rd rail, all was covered by snow, and a journey through a pine forest via metro is completely unimaginable from Kolkata, my city.

Line 2 was partly converted from a suburban rail line (or light rail?) to metro (western section). For this reason on early days there were such metro trains with had both panto-graph and third rail shoe to use on both type of power supply. But it was earlier converted to metro line, and always separated from surface by fencing, and overpasses.

Another very interesting line is line 3. It was also partly converted from a suburban rail (or light rail?) line to metro (western section). Formerly this portion also used overhead wire (because the origin was a suburban rail line), but later it was changed to 3rd rail (to be a standard metro). For this reason on early days there were such metro trains with had both panto-graph and third rail shoe to use on both type of power supply. From Bekkastua to Jar, the metro tracks also used by tram cars. It was possible because both has same gauge. Trams doesn’t stop on metro stations due to tram’s low floor, it some times used as a loop line as tram stops. Similarly metro doesn’t uses tram stops due to high floor and length of car. It directly ignore the tram stops. In this common portion has both 3rd rail and overhead wire, which is used by respectively metro and tram. I never saw such mixed portion anywhere in the world, and in my city Kolkata, it is absolutely a fairly tale.

Line 5 was also partly converted from a suburban rail line (or light rail?) to metro (northern section). For this reason on early days there were such metro trains with had both panto-graph and third rail shoe to use on both type of power supply. But it was earlier converted to metro line, and always separated from surface by fencing, and overpasses. This is also an interesting line, because it completely encircle the city center circular metro route, both clock wise and anticlockwise route. I think this is the best and busiest route of the entire metro system. It is also shared with line 4 continues its journey towards Vestli, but the difference is line 4 uses Loren, and line 5 uses Hasle.
Thanks for your description of Oslo metro Ashis Mitra. Due to its characteristics, Oslo T-bane looks more similar to a german style S-bahn than a true metro.

Ashis Mitra liked this post
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2017, 12:01 AM   #402
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1141

Welcome. Could anyone answer me the questions written on the previous page?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 12:15 AM   #403
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
After reading many websites I’ve recently saw some matters, which arise some questions and curiosity. Here I’m writing.

1) [...}Is the section between Frognerseteren and Frøen is fenced? If not I think it is very dangerous for man and animals to suddenly come on metro track and get electrocuted by touching the 3rd rail. Please write some details about the security.
It's mostly fenced. So far, no humans have been electrocuted. Third rail railways with level crossings is not really that unique, it can be found in many countries.

Quote:
2) I heard on peak hours some trains on line 1 also shared with line 2 and run up-to Ellingsrudåsen. Is it true that line 1 train run on both line 2 and line 4 in peak hours?
Not true, but line 1 used to go to Ellingsrudåsen not all that long ago. It was changed to Bergkrystallen when the Løren connection opened.

Quote:
3) Line 4 semicircles the city center circular metro line by outside anti-clockwise loop. This is the latest metro link portion of Oslo metro via Loren. I heard the southern portion of line 4 was converted from a light rail line, is it true? Please post some details.
Line 4 (Bergkrystallen branch) first opened in 1957 and was operated by trams until 1966. This was planned as a temporary measure since the tunnel through the city center could not be constructed fast enough. The trams entered the tram network between Brynseng and Helsfyr.

Quote:
4) I heard about Fornebubanen is a project to build a branch from Majorstuen via Skøyen and Lysaker to the redevelopment area on Fornebu, the area of Oslo's former airport, but I could not find it on any map. Please write some details about this extension with its opening date and a map.
The Fornebu line is still in the planning stage, and some things have not yet even been decided. Such as whether to build a new underground Majorstuen station as part of the project. The placement of the other stations has been decided though.

Quote:
5) Line 2 may be extended from Ellingsrudåsen to Akershus Universitetssykehus, and possibly on to Lillestrøm (Ahusbanen). Please write some details about this extension with its opening date and a map.
This looks unlikely to happen in the next 15 years. Funding seems unlikely . Ruter recommends ditching the plan, recommending only a short 1-station extension to Visperud.

A new central line between Brynseng and Majorstuen, OTOH, may have a fighting chance of happening within the next 15 years:

Ashis Mitra, Registered_User, Swede liked this post
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 08:42 AM   #404
Ashis Mitra

great answers, thanks a lot
Old March 25th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #405
Ashis Mitra

Oslo tram is older than the tram network of my city Kolkata, but its continuous investment has kept much better than my city. Like my city, it was also heard threatening for closure. In 1960, the city council decided to aim for a complete dismantlement of the entire tram system. A number of lines had been replaced with the T-bane subway system, and the versatility of buses was attractive to the local politicians. However thankfully in 1977, the city council rescinded its decision to close the tram system.

The route numbering of tram & metro of Oslo is repeatedly changing after a decade. In 1987 which were route 1, 2, 7, 9 and 11 has presently changed to 11,12, 13, 17 and 19. Some early tram route number has shifted to metro route number.

Many early routes were converted to metro.

1) In 1923, a tram line was construted on Brynseng-Helsfyr (-Etterstad) route, but later it became a part of T-bane system.

2) In 1924, Lilleakerbanen separates as A/S Bærumsbanen extending its tram line as far as to Avløs, but the Jar–Avløs stretch was later linked to the T-bane Kolsåsbanen. Although between Bekkastua and Jar, tracks are being used by both tram and metro. I never saw in world such a mixed tram and metro service, it is really unique. Bekkastua has a separate loop line platform for tram, where Jar has same platform, one side is used by tram, another side by metro.

3) In 1966, Brynseng – Bergkrystallen upgraded from tram to T-bane, which is served by metro route 1 & 4.

4) In 1967, tram connection to Etterstad with overhead power supply is closed, only 3rd rail left on Brynseng – Helsfyr section.

My questions and curiosities are—

1) I heard around 1940, Oslo tram has the greatest extent, but I never found such map, which has all routes (including those were permanently closed, and some were converted to metro later). Could anyone post her an old tram map, when more lines were active?

2) Presently metro routes are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, tram routes are 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19. So where is the route number 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16? I could not find those on either tram and metro.

3) I saw in maps that some direct tram lines between Christianiatorv and Kongensgate has now out of service, Kongensgate has now became one way. Wesselsplass has also now out of service. Why such downtown routes have closed now? Tram is pollution free, and bus causes air pollution.

4) A new tram route is under construction towards Bjorvika. When it will be opened commercially. Please write some details.
Old March 26th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #406
Registered_User
Gold member

Likes (Received): 427

You may find these old route maps useful.

1912: http://i.imgur.com/eFO2BAU.jpg
1936: http://i.imgur.com/kbhjBgp.jpg
1942: http://i.imgur.com/3kLPT6v.jpg
1954: http://i.imgur.com/vC9R8RK.jpg
1966-67 #1: http://i.imgur.com/ITZWSqA.jpg
1966-67 #2: http://i.imgur.com/Hopaph2.jpg
1987: http://i.imgur.com/ZfAiG6V.jpg
1993: http://i.imgur.com/EnuU9rM.jpg
1995: http://i.imgur.com/dSsOeTf.jpg

As for the route numbers not currently in use.
#6: Metro Ringen-Sognsvann until April 2016.
#7: Tram Ullevål-Sinsen at least 1966-1993
#8: Tram Ullevål Hageby-Ljabru at least in 1993
#9: Tram Jar-Ljabru at least in 1987
#10:Tram Kolsås-Disen at least in 1995
#14: Tram Kolsås-Jar? Shown in 1993
#15: Tram Majorstuen-Sagene at least in 1995
#16: Tram Skøyen-Vålerenga at least in 1942

suburbicide, dimlys1994, Verji liked this post
Registered_User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #407
Ashis Mitra

Wonderful, thanks a lot.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 05:55 AM   #408
Ashis Mitra

A new tram route is under construction towards Bjorvika. When it will be opened commercially. Please write some details.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 11:19 PM   #409
suburbicide

Quote:
A new tram route is under construction towards Bjorvika. When it will be opened commercially. Please write some details.
Work has been at a standstill for a long time because they are unable to complete the last section up to Oslo gate due to the construction of the Follo line. Opening is estimated in 2018 or 2019. Line 18 and 19 will use this route.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:59 PM   #410
Ashis Mitra

What is Follo Line? A metro line?
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:25 PM   #411
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 925

The new HSR railroad from Oslo S to Ski.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:23 PM   #412
Registered_User
Gold member

Quote:
What is Follo Line? A metro line?
Follo Line is currently the largest transport project in Norway and includes the country's longest railway tunnel of 20 km. Construction started in 2014, 4 TBM's are drilling and lines/stations are built in both ends. Announced opening 2021.
Prospected cost 25 billion NOK.

More info:
http://www.banenor.no/en/startpage1/...rack-Oslo-Ski/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follo_Line

Old April 4th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #413
Ashis Mitra

Wooow, 20KM tunnel??!!! Just amazing.
Old April 4th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #414
Registered_User
Gold member

Quote:
Grazy Norwegians you know...!
Tram tracks in Dronning Eufemias gate where completed in 2015, but ends in a dead road.
The last 500'ish meters up Bispegata, between Kong Håkon 5s gate and Oslo gate, is put on hold as it crossed the construction site of the Follo Lines entrance to Oslo Central Station.

From what I can figure out there are plans to establish some temporary (?) tracks passing the construction site within next year, as Sporveien need to test-run the upcoming line and connection when they run tests of Oslos new trams.
The new trams will probably see winter testing 2018/19, with delivery of 87 tram sets from 2020.
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #415
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10030

Some pictures of the completed renovation of the Nydalen Metro station.
¨

http://kj-a.no/nydalen-metro-station-2016/
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #416
Galro

Quote:
There is also the Ringeriksbane project under planning on the western edge of the Oslo urban area which will includes a 23km long tunnel. Oslo already have the 14,5km long Romeriksporten tunnel to the north so soon there will be long tunnels in all directions out of Oslo.

Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 05:31 PM   #417
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6073

A renovation after only 15 years? Why? To improve social safety? Or did they really need the extra esclator capacity?
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #418
suburbicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
A renovation after only 15 years? Why? To improve social safety? Or did they really need the extra esclator capacity?
Capacity.

It's safe to say this station was poorly planned when such extensive changes were needed after only a few years.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:36 AM   #419
Galro

Here are also some pictures of the new Løren station. Although it looks kind of nice in these pictures, I have to say I found it rather disappointing in real life as it felt rather crude due to all the concrete (and it become worse the farther up towards the surface you come).

http://www.archdaily.com/866823/lore...mdh-arkitekter

dimlys1994, 2mchris, Slodi liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:26 PM   #420
suburbicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Here are also some pictures of the new Løren station. Although it looks kind of nice in these pictures, I have to say I found it rather disappointing in real life as it felt rather crude due to all the concrete (and it become worse the farther up towards the surface you come).
I actually think the bare concrete looks very good. What I don't like is the blue sprayed concrete, and the visible air ducts.

faisalzulkarnaen89 liked this post

Tags
oslo