daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:13 AM   #101
AmiDelf

Likes (Received): 3

You have to remember that Oslo only got 560 000 too. In rush hours in weekdays 07 to 09 and 15 to 18 the metro needs double trainsets, but on other times it doesn't need it. Just try to take the metro at 12 or around 23 in the evening or on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Also. Oslo have all of its shopping malls and more closed on Sundays. So that's why they choose it. Hope this helps
AmiDelf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:34 AM   #102
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Likes (Received): 2564

I guess the reasons, but it still has been unusual experience. Anyway I was really impressed that Oslo size city developed full heavy subway network, even though it's mostly surface system. I made a full round on the circle line and then got off in the station near Munch Museum.
Petr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:43 PM   #103
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

This is the elevator at Stortinget T-bane station. Oslo have a lot of drug addicts, so a blue light is mandatory..
There is also a nice info screen that shows the next 6 trains departure and car information.
Although, "one" car means either 2 or 3 carriages trains, but two cars always means 6 car trains.
image hosted on flickr

Nationaltheateret T-bane station. westbound.
image hosted on flickr

Nationaltheateret T-bane station and a 6 car MX3000 set
image hosted on flickr

Nationaltheateret T-bane station westbound to Majortua. Oldest Metro tunnel in Oslo. The tunnel opened in 1928.
It have been under criticism for poor handling of evacuation.
image hosted on flickr

Nationaltheateret T-bane station.
Overpass for connection to NSB. Local trains, Region trains and airport train.
image hosted on flickr

Nexis liked this post
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #104
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Great photos.

And you see blue lights everywhere these days, so don't worry too much about it
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #105
AmiDelf

Today 170 000 cars is gone from surface of Oslo in a new tunnel under the Oslofjord. By autumn another 170 000 cars and then the biggest highway thru Oslo on surface will be gone and an in 2-3 years Oslo will look completely different.

New tramlines will go thru Bjørvika and there is planned a coast tramline too. Stay tuned
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #106
Hubert Pollak

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiDelf View Post
Today 170 000 cars is gone from surface of Oslo in a new tunnel under the Oslofjord. By autumn another 170 000 cars and then the biggest highway thru Oslo on surface will be gone and an in 2-3 years Oslo will look completely different.

New tramlines will go thru Bjørvika and there is planned a coast tramline too. Stay tuned
Any maps with those plans?

Are you going to create more pedastrian space in Oslo?
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #107
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Green is the new alignment for existing tramlines, and red are possible corridors for a future fjordline:

There will be a finger-system of pedestrian and park zones connecting the existing city with the new waterfront developments. And a promenade running along the water:

Old April 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #108
Ingenioren

Double post
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #109
Northridge

I think it would be smart and "green" with tram to bjørvika.
But what do they mean with Fjordbane?
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #110
marciomaco
Peido Ninja!!!

Likes (Received): 150

Oslo is going to receive Eurovision Song Contest. What changes and improvements are the sistems doing?
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #111
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Does Oslo have any plans for procuring new trams to replace the SL79, or do they intend to keep on going with the current fleet?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #112
Ingenioren

Fjordbanen is just the name of the new waterfront line, as bane means track in Norwegian.

SL79 will be faced out due to high floors and also they need a loop to turn, and Oslo wants to remove tramloops. We will also need new rollingstock for the new lines that are planned. There is not decided what type of trams we will buy yet.

The eurovision is located in an area that is primary served by busses during large arangements, there is also walking distance from a recently expanded trainstation (Lysaker - 1,5km)

Last edited by Ingenioren; April 27th, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:21 PM   #113
Northridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Great photos.

And you see blue lights everywhere these days, so don't worry too much about it
Thanks!

Here in Oslo we have one of the highest rates of heroin addicts vs population in the world.

I'm coming with a few updates(pictures) the next week.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM   #114
Ingenioren

Some winter-land photos:

Covered bus-stop connected to Økern metro station (line 5) that is getting a large upgrade:

Going down the ramps:

The covered section:

Ramps will also be covered:

Western entrance to metro station on both sides of new Ulven road:

Hasle Metro station on Line 5 after the general upgrade of stations on this line:

The main bus-routes in Oslo has it's own lanes where there is room for it, such as here in Grenseveien:

What a typical stop looks like:

Ensjø Metro station (Lines 1-4) is set for a large upgrade simular to Økern this fall:

One of the main hubs in eastern part of Oslo is Helsfyr. Commuters on green out-of-city buses following the highway exit here to access local buses and metro lines 1-4. As the road from here to downtown is quite congested is is a bit of a time saver:

At Brynseng station lines 1-2 split from lines 3-4:

Main bus lines have 2 wagon-buses, here from the eastern terminus of line 32 (Kværner):

2-wagon tram-set from the 70s:

A new hybrid-bus on line 54, first time on one of these it's impossible not to think "Oh crap, the bus broke down...." But it just keeps going

A 90s 3-wagon tramset at Holbergsplass:
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #115
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

My God, all that snow!
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #116
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
My God, all that snow!
I know! It's incredible to see massive public transport infrastructure in the Nordics working in heavy snow. Stockholm and Helsinki show this too.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #117
Ingenioren

Another new station, Line1 was upgraded to third-rail to accomodate the larger 6-wagon trains during sporting events and the Holmenkollen station is a real metro station unlike the rest of the line that are left like 2-wagon stations and at-grade crossings. Regularly this line now runs 3-wagon trains where the last wagon doors are blocked for all stations. The line 1 is a novelty because of it's climb from sea-level up to 470meters above sea level, the last stations are located in the woods.

Holmenkollen station:

Old May 25th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #118
:jax:

Likes (Received): 538

Plan/wish for metro construction to 2025 from Ruter, the Oslo & Akershus transport company. Full article to be found here (Google translated). The highlight is another city core tunnel to create the pretzel-like network as shown above. The times given are presumably expected frequency.

The Ring 3 line is extended to Økern, connecting more west and east-bound lines, and the lines themselves seem to be extended to the nearby towns of Sandvika, Nesodden, and Lillestrøm, which technically would make the network intercity (sort-of).

Last edited by :jax:; May 25th, 2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Keep forgetting: No html allowed in posts
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #119
AmiDelf

OSLO | Metro

In Oslo we also have metro. I dont know if its underground or light-rail as infact most of the system is above-ground. Its not elevated and only center and few other stretches outside of center get underground parts.

Here is a map of the system today:

Source: urbanrail.net

All of the red wagons is now replaced with white Siemens wagons. I really enjoy going with them. At first I thaught they would be bad and too plastic, but they actually keep up better than expected:

Here is one of the biggest stations outside. The wagons is quite big compared to any other metro system that ive seen in the world. Half of the wagon would be cut of if it tried the London tube for instance.

The Oslo metro had many similiraties to the Stockholm one, but Oslo one is even taller. Also when I travel with Metro in Oslo I feel like its like a local train more than a Metro. Good seats, light everywhere and color is white and black. I saw many pics from Essen and thaught it would have same height as Oslo, but I really wonder if Oslo got worlds tallest Metro wagons? Or is there any other city with bigger tunnels for so called underground/metro system?

Some of the stations, like Nydalen looks like a train station. Not a underground station hehehe:

Does this look like a Metro or Underground station?

Anyway, if you have more Oslo metro pictures, post them here. I am interested in seeing how you see Oslo and how you feel about Oslo metro system. Interesting to know for a Norwegian like me
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #120
Marwel

Likes (Received): 127

More photos please!
Marwel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
oslo