daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #61
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
hmm abolished subway networks i would say the NYC second system that they were going to put but it didn't got built fully?

i don't know why it wasn't completed though?
Bad timing and bad luck, I guess. Wall Street stock exchange crash, the Great Depression, WW II...and by the time everything had gotten economically and politically stable, there were cars and Robert Moses.

Not really a good recipe for major system expansions.

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #62
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I stumbled upon some recent transit maps of the world book and became amazed by how many realignments the world's cities have seen just from poring over its maps. Some kind of abolition, huh? Cheesh, I never knew W Berlin trains skipped ghost stations to reach the termini.

Although strewn with many typos and factoids, the book's brilliant at niftily presenting details -- my substitute for stars:
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #63
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
I stumbled upon some recent transit maps of the world book and became amazed by how many realignments the world's cities have seen just from poring over its maps. Some kind of abolition, huh? Cheesh, I never knew W Berlin trains skipped ghost stations to reach the termini.

Although strewn with many typos and factoids, the book's brilliant at niftily presenting details -- my substitute for stars:
The author (Mark Ovenden) is a member here... but I haven't seen him on ssc for months.

I've met him, nice chap. He's currently working on the history of the Paris metro.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #64
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
He's currently working on the history of the Paris metro.
Thanks, I can't wait to read his take on my favourite metro system. He himself also looks yummy.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #65
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Seattle once had a trolley system in the late 1800's and was removed in early 1940's to replace with trolley buses. We got a new streetcar line and may get another streetcar line by 2012.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #66
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Bad timing and bad luck, I guess. Wall Street stock exchange crash, the Great Depression, WW II...and by the time everything had gotten economically and politically stable, there were cars and Robert Moses.

Not really a good recipe for major system expansions.
I'd like to speculate, additionally-speaking that is, that Russia's --oooops!-- the USSR's gold bullion vanished . . .
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #67
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Thanks, I can't wait to read his take on my favourite metro system.
I'd better retract my favourite claim.....I'm realizing that London's outdoor-running network was far more rewarding for me than Paris's.
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #68
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1144

Abandonment of subway networks may be easy for 1st world, but 2ND/3rd world can't even think about such a thinking.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #69
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

No so-called first-world city worth existing is going to abandon its rail system. They would strangle to death within a day.

Every time New York's Subway or London's Underground shuts, the whole city just stops working.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #70
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

I did a page once on abandonded subways, secret subways and abandoned stations. Its at http://www.subways.net/unknown.htm. If I left anything off please let me know!
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #71
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Didn't Detroit recently shut down all their public transport or was it just all their buses? I remember reading this somewhere and thought it was mad, but typical of Dretroit.
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #72
Mobius57
Virginia!!!

Likes (Received): 6

My city ditched thier rail in the 50's.

They have realized thier mistake and are now building anew ^_^

See my signature!

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers." -Carl Sagan

For me, everything is remarkable.

Southeast Virginia.
Mobius57 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #73
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Detroit transit was shut down temporarily, but not permanently. It may happen again temporarily if the budget does not get worked out. They did have a small street car line that closed a few years back (of course they used to have a much larger street car line).

Tampa had a two station elevated people mover that closed. The line was supposed to be the start of a down town circulator system. It ran from a parking garage to a mall/hotel. Interestingly, there is still a button on the elevator at the hotel for "People Mover Station". At its peak it carried 18,000 passengers in one day. Average daily ridership was pitiful at 1,200. The track and stations are now gone. Like most medium and large cities we also had an extensive tram/street car system that was mostly disbanded in favor of buses.

(In the bottom of this picture you can see where the tracks ran over the toll interstate in DT Tampa.)
Photos from the blog "sticksoffire.com"

Steve
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #74
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Chicago's 24-hour trams in the mid-20th century had the longest one-fare ride, the longest average ride, the most liberal transfer privileges, more miles of track, operated over more routes and kept more electric cars running than any other city in the world.

The countless tram carried nearly 900 million passengers in 1929, or an average of 272 trips for every man woman and child in the city. They were in use for 100 years, but then as happended all over the USA, the car companies bought out the tram companies, tore up EVERYTHING, delivered buses to be used instead, took their cash for the buses and walked away. By 1959 it was all gone in Chicago.

The old tramway system:

North side of the city:

South side of the city:

Last edited by Chicagoago; September 18th, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #75
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

There was a line they started in Bratilslava that was never finished. Small sections of tunnel are supposedly still there.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM   #76
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Whoopsy, forgot SubBrit didn't allow embedding, now fixed

I love this one:

[img]http://i30.************/2wc2npi.jpg[/img]

Looks like Chicago or New York, not Liverpool!
Thats what I thought. I still don't know why they get rid of it!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM   #77
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Thats what I thought. I still don't know why they get rid of it!
Well, the docks died and then became deserted so there was hardly any passengers on it. Little did they know (or care) that the docks would be rebuilt into what it is today. It would have been so much nicer if it was mothballed and then existing today.

Much nicer. But I guess I can see their point.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:22 AM   #78
21C Liverpool
Design Journal/

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Well, the docks died and then became deserted so there was hardly any passengers on it. Little did they know (or care) that the docks would be rebuilt into what it is today. It would have been so much nicer if it was mothballed and then existing today.

Much nicer. But I guess I can see their point.
It may yet return. It was damaged during war raids and the costs at the time were some several million to modernise it in the 1950's.

The bus won out im afraid, there is talk of replacing its route with a monorail.
21C Liverpool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM   #79
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

In terms of rapid transit, I think New York City suffered the biggest loss with 100 km of elevated lines demolished, of which only about half have been replaced by more modern subway lines.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM   #80
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanico View Post
In terms of rapid transit, I think New York City suffered the biggest loss with 100 km of elevated lines demolished, of which only about half have been replaced by more modern subway lines.
In terms of big cities, yes New York and maybe LA lost the most. LA had a huge tram/street car network, with some underground portions. Of course they have some LRT and subway lines in place now, but it is a mere shadow of the past network. However, many cities in the USA lost ALL of their transit systems in what some have called the transit holocaust.

Steve

Tags
subway