daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #621
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4966

I personally think it's coz of cheap taxis. I only took the train coz I like such stuff but otherwise it made little sense to not take the cab.

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #622
Codename B
Detective

Likes (Received): 15603

Could only find the news in thai, but finally I found it in english. This will encourage more passenger.

Number of riders on Airport Link Express Line doubles
BANGKOK, 8 June 2011

The Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link is enjoying a 100 percent increase in the number of passengers on the Express Line after the launch of an additional train and fare discounts.
Deputy Governor of the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Pakorn Tangjetsakao, as Acting Chief Executive Officer of SRT Electrified Train Co, Ltd, indicated that a daily average of 1,274 commuters had been recorded, which was double the figure of last month of less than 700. He anticipated the number to climb further.

The improvement is a result of the addition of one more train on 1 June with an extended route between Phayathai Station and Suvarnabhumi Airport, as opposed to the regular route between Makkasan Station and the airport. The higher volume of passengers is also attributable to the fare reduction from 150 THB per single trip to 90 THB and from 300 THB per roundtrip to 150 THB.

Mr Pakorn revealed that there were totally four trains in use for the Express Line – three operating on a regular basis and one being kept as a spare in case any of the other three ran into problems.

http://thaifinancialpost.com/2011/06...-line-doubles/
Old June 9th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #623
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
I personally think it's coz of cheap taxis. I only took the train coz I like such stuff but otherwise it made little sense to not take the cab.
You only need to look at where it goes to see why it is not popular. Basically it parallels the highway from the airport. Sure it is quicker to get from the airport to the city station (provided you don't wait too long for a train), but once there most then need to get a taxi to go where they want to go. So any time advantage is lost and people have to change modes. So the taxi for most journeys ends up being faster or about the same time without the hassle of changing from taxi to train and vice versa.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #624
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3254

Bye Bye crooked taxi cab drivers!
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #625
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373

You only need to look at where it goes to see why it is not popular. Basically it parallels the highway from the airport. Sure it is quicker to get from the airport to the city station (provided you don't wait too long for a train), but once there most then need to get a taxi to go where they want to go. So any time advantage is lost and people have to change modes. So the taxi for most journeys ends up being faster or about the same time without the hassle of changing from taxi to train and vice versa.
If you go to Sukhumvit, Silom or any other destination which is connected by BTS or MRT then taking the airport train makes very good sense: it's cheaper and there is no risk of getting stuck in traffic. I took the train last time I was in Bangkok and it worked perfectly well for me.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #626
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
If you go to Sukhumvit, Silom or any other destination which is connected by BTS or MRT then taking the airport train makes very good sense: it's cheaper and there is no risk of getting stuck in traffic. I took the train last time I was in Bangkok and it worked perfectly well for me.
I was staying at Sukhumvit and still didn't make sense. The expressway (if you take a cab) lands you right smackdab in the middle of Sukhumvit. If you take the train you have to get out of the station, and walk 10 minutes to the subway station. The whole ordeal just isn't worth it.
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #627
Codename B
Detective

Current lines as of June 2011
- does not show lines that are under construction.
Reason: SRTET Airport Rail Link : Express Line now stops at Phaya Thai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totomaru View Post
แผนที่ระบบขนส่งมวลชนกรุงเทพมหานคร โดยรถไฟฟ้า BTS ( Update June 2011 )

หมายเหตุ : เพิ่มเติมรถไฟฟ้า SRTET Airport Rail Link : Express Line ( สุวรรณภูมิ - พญาไท )
Old June 10th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #628
ajw373

Quote:
I was staying at Sukhumvit and still didn't make sense. The expressway (if you take a cab) lands you right smackdab in the middle of Sukhumvit. If you take the train you have to get out of the station, and walk 10 minutes to the subway station. The whole ordeal just isn't worth it.
Exactly. I usually stay at a friends place on Sukhumvit Soi 23 (not far as the crow flies from the station) and the taxi direct from the airport is far better. Maybe it makes a difference that I usually fly Qantas from Aus so get in late so never any traffic problems.

Any further away and the case for taxi becomes even stronger.
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #629
cle

Likes (Received): 524

Good it's been extended to Phaya Thai - any chance it could go on to Hua Lamphong?
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #630
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Exactly. I usually stay at a friends place on Sukhumvit Soi 23 (not far as the crow flies from the station) and the taxi direct from the airport is far better. Maybe it makes a difference that I usually fly Qantas from Aus so get in late so never any traffic problems.

Any further away and the case for taxi becomes even stronger.
If money is not an issue for you then yeah. Perhaps next time you could order a helicopter right from the helipad of your high-rise penthouse apartment?

To me and most other ordinary people there is a big difference between 90Baht (+20-40 baht for BTS, MRT ride) and 400Baht (taxi). Not to mention that sometimes you have to bargain with the taxi drivers to use the meter.

the only inconvenience is when you have a lot of baggage. Otherwise I found it more convenient to use the train be it express or the "slow" one. Prior to that I always used taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
Good it's been extended to Phaya Thai

That's what I thought. It really didn't make sense not to extend it to Phaya Thai and so "loose" the connection to BTS. It's good that it's been done.
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #631
Codename B
Detective

Yes big different. It's money I could spend on food or shopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
Good it's been extended to Phaya Thai - any chance it could go on to Hua Lamphong?
There are plans for that, but I remember reading from the news that Hua lamphong will turn to a museum, when Bang Sue Grand Station is finished.
It should be ready when the purple, light red and blue lines are finished, so maybe in 2013-2015??

Bang Sue Grand Station

Btw here are the lines and Extension right now in BKK summarized by P' Munich dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich dweller View Post

The total land area for BKK is 1568 km2.

As of 2011, all mass transit excluding bus lines and river boats are
- BTS (light green and dark green lines) : 55 km., 26 stations
- MRT (blue line) : 21 km., 18 stations
- ARL (red line) : 28.6 km., 8 stations
- BRT : 16.5 km., 12 stations

So that's a total of 121 km. / 1568 km2 = 0.077 km / km2.

By the time it gets to, say around 2015, when all the current extensions and additional lines are completed, the picture will be
- BTS (both lines): 55 + 5.2 + 11.4 + 10.6 + 5.25 (under cons, bidding)
- MRT (blue line): 21 + 13 + 14 (under cons)
- MRT (purple line): 23 (under cons)
- ARL (red line): 28.6
- SRT (light red line): 15 (under cons)
- SRT (dark red line): 80.8 (bidding)

That'll be c.a. 283 / 1568 = 0.18 km / km2 ...

(PS. MRT orange line and those pink, brown, grey lines and the new BRT lines are not even included here since I've not seen any concrete development for those lines yet. But if some or all of them are pushed through, they'll add c.a. 60-120 km. more to the total length)
Old June 16th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #632
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
If money is not an issue for you then yeah. Perhaps next time you could order a helicopter right from the helipad of your high-rise penthouse apartment?

To me and most other ordinary people there is a big difference between 90Baht (+20-40 baht for BTS, MRT ride) and 400Baht (taxi). Not to mention that sometimes you have to bargain with the taxi drivers to use the meter.

the only inconvenience is when you have a lot of baggage. Otherwise I found it more convenient to use the train be it express or the "slow" one. Prior to that I always used taxi.

That's what I thought. It really didn't make sense not to extend it to Phaya Thai and so "loose" the connection to BTS. It's good that it's been done.
Well a cab doesn't cost 400 firstly. For Sukhumvit it costs around 250 I think with the toll. Always go to the ground level and get a cab there. You don't have to negotiate anything. Also, it's only been dropped to 90 now. Thirdly, most people usually don't come alone, tourists usually are with their friends or whatever. You still need a single cab, but need separate tickets for the train. So basically at 150, for you to use the train you must be alone, not have much luggage, and either live near makkassan or not mind a 10 minute walk while dragging your luggage to the subway station. At 90 it makes a bit more sense. Even then the differnece is negligible for many tourists, but at this price I can see a lot of people using it.

Maybe advertising it on big screens inside the airport would help too.
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #633
knrOctober
Since 2552

Likes (Received): 1083

Construction Update
MRT Purple line Phase 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWestWing View Post

เจอจาก youtube คุณ TheValuelink -- ถนนรัตนาธิเบศร์ ก่อสร้างรถไฟฟ้า 25/4/54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4enxQbvX6o
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNX_09 View Post
บางซ่อน ไป วงษ์สว่างครับ

Quote:
Originally Posted by karncc View Post
จาก facebook รุ่นน้องครับ
บริเวณใกล้ ๆ สถานีบางซ่อน

ภายใน segmental box girder เป็นรูสำหรับร้อยลวด tendon ครับ
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
เมื่อเช้าขับรถผ่านเห็น STECON เริ่มวางคานแล้วครับมีทั้งที่เป็นคอนกรีตแล้วก็เหล็กที่ชั้นจำหน่ายตั๋วของสถานีสามแยกบางใหญ่แล้วครับ

Picture from Thai forum
knrOctober no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #634
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Well a cab doesn't cost 400 firstly. For Sukhumvit it costs around 250 I think with the toll. Always go to the ground level and get a cab there. You don't have to negotiate anything. Also, it's only been dropped to 90 now. Thirdly, most people usually don't come alone, tourists usually are with their friends or whatever. You still need a single cab, but need separate tickets for the train. So basically at 150, for you to use the train you must be alone, not have much luggage, and either live near makkassan or not mind a 10 minute walk while dragging your luggage to the subway station. At 90 it makes a bit more sense. Even then the differnece is negligible for many tourists, but at this price I can see a lot of people using it.

Maybe advertising it on big screens inside the airport would help too.
Yes, you have to negotiate (I mean the official taxi stand... unless it changed now. But I doubt it because it didn't change elsewhere) and it costed something between 350 and 400 using meter back in 2009. Perhaps it got cheaper now? That is with low traffic. God knows how much you'd pay during the busy hours.
Old June 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #635
ajw373

Quote:
Yes, you have to negotiate (I mean the official taxi stand... unless it changed now. But I doubt it because it didn't change elsewhere) and it costed something between 350 and 400 using meter back in 2009. Perhaps it got cheaper now? That is with low traffic. God knows how much you'd pay during the busy hours.
No you don't have to negotiate, it is the law. As for the cost no where near 350 or 400 and never has been. If you paid that you got ripped off big time. Certainly much closer to 250-300 to around Suk Soi 23 including toll. So with two people travelling the cost is about the same as a train then taxi and certainly much more convenient which is what I was talking about.
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #636
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
No you don't have to negotiate, it is the law. .
I'm not saying it's not the law. I'm just saying that often you do have to negotiate with the taxi driver. Of course, you have a choice of simply leaving and getting another taxi but that's a bit of a hassle once you're after a long-haul flight with all your luggage.
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #637
ajw373

Quote:
I'm not saying it's not the law. I'm just saying that often you do have to negotiate with the taxi driver. Of course, you have a choice of simply leaving and getting another taxi but that's a bit of a hassle once you're after a long-haul flight with all your luggage.
You must be very unlucky if this happens to you often. I have, in 20 odd trips had only 1 taxi driver not want to use the meter. We had only just started to leave the pick-up point when I told him to stop, at which point he quickly changed his mind and said meter ok. Still got him to stop and changed taxi's, giving the original ticket to the attendant, explaining why. He left with no passengers.
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #638
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
You must be very unlucky if this happens to you often. I have, in 20 odd trips had only 1 taxi driver not want to use the meter. We had only just started to leave the pick-up point when I told him to stop, at which point he quickly changed his mind and said meter ok. Still got him to stop and changed taxi's, giving the original ticket to the attendant, explaining why. He left with no passengers.
I think everyone ever having used taxis in Bangkok knows that drivers are not too keen of using the meter once they deal with foreigners. Airport is not an exception. At least that was the case in 2007, 2008 and 2009 when I used taxis numerous times to geto from/to airport. Maybe I indeed was just unlucky and it was a mere coincidence? Don't know about 2011 (maybe it really changed? The trains must cause some serious competition now) because I used train this time and have no plans of using taxi from/to the airport ever again.

With a train, on the other hand, there is no hassle: you know exactly how long it's going to take (depending on which location you're going to and at what time it maybe faster or take similar amount of time, you don't need to worry about traffic, you get a nice overview of the city on the way and it's also cheaper. I'd say this is pretty damn good of a reason to actually consider it.

Last edited by Pansori; June 18th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old June 19th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #639
ajw373

Quote:
I think everyone ever having used taxis in Bangkok knows that drivers are not too keen of using the meter once they deal with foreigners. Airport is not an exception. At least that was the case in 2007, 2008 and 2009 when I used taxis numerous times to geto from/to airport. Maybe I indeed was just unlucky and it was a mere coincidence? Don't know about 2011 (maybe it really changed? The trains must cause some serious competition now) because I used train this time and have no plans of using taxi from/to the airport ever again.
You must have sucker or something else tattooed on your forehead if you have that much trouble with taxi's. As I said my experience is the complete opposite of yours, very rarely do I have any issue with taxi's not wanting to use the meter, both at the airport and around town. And I am a white farang. About the only place I ever have any issue is when exiting 'entertainment' area's, though being married to a Thai that doesn't happen these days.

As for the train causing significant competition, don't think so. As mentioned for many the train station is in the middle of nowhere, so for most a train means a train followed by taxi anyway. So don't think the taxi drivers at the airport at behaving any more as a result, which is how I read what your saying above.

Quote:
With a train, on the other hand, there is no hassle: you know exactly how long it's going to take (depending on which location you're going to and at what time it maybe faster or take similar amount of time, you don't need to worry about traffic, you get a nice overview of the city on the way and it's also cheaper. I'd say this is pretty damn good of a reason to actually consider it.
Yep, except of course once you get to the city station you then need to change to a taxi or the (often crowded) skytrain anyway. Which means lugging your bags up or down to the taxi and then getting into the city traffic jam or crowded skytrain with bags.

Anyway at the end of the day it is horses for courses. You like the Airport train, fine, more fool you IMO. If the train actually went somewhere usefull then might be different. Others including myself think that for tourists the train is a waste of time, where a taxi can be quicker and more convenient and for two people in particular cheaper.
Old June 19th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #640
Pansori
planquadrat

Yeah I'm a fool... I get to my destination quicker, pay less and don't have to haggle with the train driver. I think I get your logic.

Tags
bangkok