daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #641
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4966

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
You must have sucker or something else tattooed on your forehead if you have that much trouble with taxi's. As I said my experience is the complete opposite of yours, very rarely do I have any issue with taxi's not wanting to use the meter, both at the airport and around town. And I am a white farang. About the only place I ever have any issue is when exiting 'entertainment' area's, though being married to a Thai that doesn't happen these days.

As for the train causing significant competition, don't think so. As mentioned for many the train station is in the middle of nowhere, so for most a train means a train followed by taxi anyway. So don't think the taxi drivers at the airport at behaving any more as a result, which is how I read what your saying above.

Yep, except of course once you get to the city station you then need to change to a taxi or the (often crowded) skytrain anyway. Which means lugging your bags up or down to the taxi and then getting into the city traffic jam or crowded skytrain with bags.

Anyway at the end of the day it is horses for courses. You like the Airport train, fine, more fool you IMO. If the train actually went somewhere usefull then might be different. Others including myself think that for tourists the train is a waste of time, where a taxi can be quicker and more convenient and for two people in particular cheaper.
My guess is if the train was connected directly to the Sukhumvit skytrain (kind of like in Singapore), it'd have been a mad success. Even if the passengers had to swtich trains, but on the same platform.

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #642
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
My guess is if the train was connected directly to the Sukhumvit skytrain (kind of like in Singapore), it'd have been a mad success. Even if the passengers had to swtich trains, but on the same platform.
There are very few (if any) cities in the world that can boast public transport as good as in Singapore. Most connections in most cities are not happening on the same platform. Connection-wise (in terms of convenience, accessibility etc.) it's all good and is no different from most other cities that have contemporary rail public transport. Also, there wasn't any connection to the BTS until recently. We shall not mix up two separate services here: Express Line and City Line. The main problems are seemingly arising with the Express service, not the City Line. The main reasons why express service was not so popular are that it didn't go to Phaya Thai station and was a little too expensive. Simply not what could be called good value for money. It was really stupid not to go to Phaya Thai because it's the only direct connection to the BTS which at present is the most comprehensive rapid urban rail system in Bangkok. This means that those willing to go to Sukhumvit or Silom had to change to MRT at Makkasan station that would typically mean one exra change to get to Sukhumvit or Silom areas compared to Phaya Thai. That was quite a big inconvenience. That also was the reason I took the regular train to Phaya Thai instead of taking the express train last time I was in Bangkok and I'm sure that was what most other travellers did who needed to get to those areas. Now that it's been fixed things will certainly improve.

Last edited by Pansori; June 19th, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #643
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Yeah I'm a fool... I get to my destination quicker, pay less and don't have to haggle with the train driver. I think I get your logic.
All well and good if your journey ends at the airport terminal station or you are willing to lug baggage on the normal Skytrain. As for the 3 points raised above, each are very debatable as we have discussed. And at no point did I say you were a fool.

Last edited by ajw373; June 20th, 2011 at 12:08 AM.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:13 AM   #644
Pansori
planquadrat

A video of (almost) the full journey on an express train from Makkasan to Suvarnabhumi airport
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #645
ARailSystemsEngineer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
No you don't have to negotiate, it is the law. As for the cost no where near 350 or 400 and never has been. If you paid that you got ripped off big time. Certainly much closer to 250-300 to around Suk Soi 23 including toll. So with two people travelling the cost is about the same as a train then taxi and certainly much more convenient which is what I was talking about.
'ripped off big time' to the tune of four or five dollars. I'm sure that in years to come, the airport rail link might become convenient for some people.

a RSE
ARailSystemsEngineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #646
ARailSystemsEngineer

Quote:
All well and good if your journey ends at the airport terminal station or you are willing to lug baggage on the normal Skytrain. As for the 3 points raised above, each are very debatable as we have discussed. And at no point did I say you were a fool.
Some things are best left unsaid. We all know where we stand. There is no point in stating the obvious to the blind. Or maybe there is. Up to you, as they say in the Kingdom

SC
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #647
ajw373

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARailSystemsEngineer View Post
Some things are best left unsaid. We all know where we stand. There is no point in stating the obvious to the blind. Or maybe there is. Up to you, as they say in the Kingdom

SC
Pot calling kettle black, come in kettle!
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:40 AM   #648
ajw373

Quote:
'ripped off big time' to the tune of four or five dollars. I'm sure that in years to come, the airport rail link might become convenient for some people.

a RSE
I wasn't the one complaining about not being able to afford the taxi fare or being ripped off. I suggest you read my comment in the context of the conversation in particular the following comment by pansori
Quote:
Originally Posted by pansori
"If money is not an issue for you then yeah. Perhaps next time you could order a helicopter right from the helipad of your high-rise penthouse apartment?

To me and most other ordinary people there is a big difference between 90Baht (+20-40 baht for BTS, MRT ride) and 400Baht (taxi). Not to mention that sometimes you have to bargain with the taxi drivers to use the meter."
And totally agree that the airport rail link may well be convenient for some even now but for many it makes stuff all difference because of the stupid location where it terminates meaning most have to change to a taxi anyway.
Old June 26th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #649
ARailSystemsEngineer

Quote:
Pot calling kettle black, come in kettle!
I'd never call someone black. We have to be extra-careful with darkies, in this PC age.

Rse

Foolish? sometimes I can't even remember who I am! Now that's not foolishness, that's stupidity.
Old June 26th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #650
ARailSystemsEngineer

Quote:
I wasn't the one complaining about not being able to afford the taxi fare or being ripped off. I suggest you read my comment in the context of the conversation in particular the following comment by pansori
To be fair, I think I was agreeing with you. If one can't afford to be ripped off to the tune of a few dollars, maybe one should walk to the airport, and walk from there to one's destination as well.

I can't abide grizzling poverty-merchants. If you can't afford something, go without or earn more. Its your choice.

Rse
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #651
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:

And totally agree that the airport rail link may well be convenient for some even now but for many it makes stuff all difference because of the stupid location where it terminates meaning most have to change to a taxi anyway.
You mean Phaya Thai?
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #652
ajw373

Quote:
To be fair, I think I was agreeing with you. If one can't afford to be ripped off to the tune of a few dollars, maybe one should walk to the airport, and walk from there to one's destination as well.

I can't abide grizzling poverty-merchants. If you can't afford something, go without or earn more. Its your choice.

Rse
No worries, clearly missread you. And agree about pov merchants too many in Bangkok though!

As for the rail link clearly for someone looking to save a few bucks it is a blessing, but for many it is nothing more than an imbugerance to use because for many, actually would say most people you either have to change to a taxi anyway or as of late get the skytrain, which would be a whole heap of fun with a months worth of luggage.

Must admit I think pretty much the same about Sydney's airport rail link and to a lesser extent the Heathrow express, where I found out that for the most part it is less grief to get a mini cab to where I lived in Bayswater. And Pansori I am not rich, my company paid for my 1000 quid a week apartment, which at the time was double what I was getting paid in the hand.
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #653
ant35

Likes (Received): 28

MRTA Project

MRTA project detail.
ant35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #654
lookma

Likes (Received): 64

MRT Purple Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd2002 View Post
ถ่ายหน้าเซ็นทรัลรัตนาธิเบศร์ เมื่อวันที่ 3 กรกฏาคม 2554 ครับ
[img]http://******************/i/888/62301.jpg[/img][img]http://******************/i/08d/oo202.jpg[/img]
MRT Blue Line (Soil Test)
Quote:
Originally Posted by totomaru View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

อัพเดต...! ความคืบหน้าการก่อสร้างส่วนต่อขยายสายสีน้ำเงิน ( ช่วงหัวลำโพง-บางแค )
สัญญาที่ 1 : งานออกแบบควบคู่การก่อสร้างเส้นทางใต้ดิน ( ช่วงหัวลำโพง-สนามไชย ) ครั้งที่ 1 ระยะทาง 2.8 กม.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

สถานีหัวลำโพง ( HUA )
สถานีวัดมังกรกมลาวาส ( BS10 )
สถานีวังบูรพา ( BS11/P23 )

การอัพเดตจะมีเฉพาะส่วนที่เป็นงานในช่วงปัจจุบันก่อนนะครับ ( ถ่ายภาพ ณ. วันที่ 9 กรกฎาคม 2554 )

สถานีวังบูรพา Wang Burapha ( BS11/P23 )

1. ITD เริ่มเข้าพื้นที่ ถนนเจริญกรุง เพื่อมาทำการสำรวจชั้นดินบริเวณ​ ห้าง ดิโอลด์ สยาม เพื่อเตรียมงานก่อสร้าง
" โครงการส่วนต่อขยายส​ายสีน้ำเงิน สัญญาที่ 1 : ( งานก่อสร้างทางใต้ดิน ) ช่วงหัวลำโพง - สนามไชย ระยะทาง 2.8 กม. " แล้วครับ

[B][SIZE="3"]อัพเดต...! ความคืบหน้าการก่อสร้างส่วนต่อขยายสายสีน้ำเงิน ( ช่วงหัวลำโพง-บางแค )

การอัพเดตจะมีเฉพาะส่วนที่เป็นงานในช่วงปัจจุบันก่อนนะครับ ( ถ่ายภาพ ณ. วันที่ 15 กรกฎาคม 2554 )

สถานีวังบูรพา Wang Burapha ( BS11/P23 )

1. บริเวณ "แยกสามยอด" ทาง ITD เริ่มเข้ามาทำการสำรวจชั้นดินบริเวณ​ โรงแรมมิราม่า เพื่อเตรียมงานก่อสร้าง
" โครงการส่วนต่อขยายส​ายสีน้ำเงิน สัญญาที่ 1 : ( งานก่อสร้างทางใต้ดิน ) ช่วงหัวลำโพง - สนามไชย ระยะทาง 2.8 กม. " แล้วเช่นกันครับ

2. อีกมุมนึงครับ

ยังคงมีความคืบหน้าน้อยอยู่ครับ เพราะยังคงเป็นเพียงการเจาะสำรวจดิน เท่านั้นครับ ยังไงจะพยายามไปถ่ายมาอัพเดตให้ดูกันอีกบ่อยๆครับ
lookma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:52 PM   #655
bbq

Likes (Received): 264

any progress or updates about the extension of BTS?
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #656
Codename B
Detective

Likes (Received): 15603

Here you go

Bangkok Mass Transit

These are all the lines that are under constructions.

MRT Purple line

Bangsue - Bang Yai (23 km) (under construction operational in 2014)

http://www.mrta.co.th/Jobs/Railcar/purple.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------

[img]http://******************/i/08d/img2011071000198.jpg[/img]

[img]http://******************/i/ecf/img2011071000199.jpg[/img]

credit: khun kitti

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1138409

MRT Blue line extensions

Bang Sue – Bang Phlat – Tha Phra (13 km) (under construction operational in 2015)
Hua Lamphong – Tha Phra – Bang Khae (14 km) (under construction operational in 2015)

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/187358

credit: khun totomaru

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1248861

SRT Light Red line

Bang Sue - Taling Chan & Sirirat - Sala Ya (15 km) (under construction operational in 2014)

http://www.siamlocalnews.com/

credit: khun marut

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=882032

BTS Dark Green line extension

Pho Nimit – Bang Wa (5,25 km) (to open on 5 December 2011)

credit: khun totomaru

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=771474

BTS Light Green line extension

On Nut – Bearing (5,2 km) (to open on 12 August 2011)

credit: Khun Richard Barrow

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1159867

Lines that will soon be constructed

SRT Dark Red line phase 1: Thammasat University - Bang Sue (26 km) (operational in 2014)
MRT Pink line: Nonthaburi Government Center - Minburi (34.5 km) (operational in 2014-2016)
Chula-Siam Monorail: Siam Square - Sam Yan (1,5 km) (Construction will begin Dec 2011 or early 2012 - operational in Dec 2012)

Plus a bunch of other planned lines that I will leave out for now

In the end it will look like this.

Old July 24th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #657
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

BRT is doing well.

trainset light is giving a feeling of comfortable. i like it.
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #658
Codename B
Detective

Likes (Received): 15603

I think you mean BTS Skystrain.
BRT is the bus rapid transit system
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:14 PM   #659
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

Likes (Received): 4463

image hosted on flickr