daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #681
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4958

Another problem is that they don't advertise it like crazy in the airport.

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:23 PM   #682
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

Likes (Received): 4458

TSF in rail-link joint effort

Published: 21/09/2011 at 12:00 AM

The listed media company Three Sixty Five Plc (TSF) has clinched a joint-venture deal with Koa-sha Inc, Japan's biggest out-of-home media firm, to manage ad space for the Airport Rail Link (ARL).

Koa-sha Media (Thailand) will have 10 million baht in initial capital, with TSF owning 51% and Koa-sha 49%.The 10-year contract calls for the joint venture to manage the ARL's 6,837 square metres of media space _ 5,004.21 sq m in Phaya Thai, Ratchaprarop, Makkasan, Suvarnabhumi, Ramkhamhaeng, Hua Mak, Lat Krabang and Tha Chang stations and 1,832.79 sq m inside the train carriages on the City Line and the Express Line.

"We hope to generate 600 million baht in ad revenue throughout the 10-year concession period," said TSF chairman Aran Apichari.

TSF previously secured media space management for the ARL from the State Railway of Thailand Electrified Train Co, a subsidiary of the SRT.

Mr Aran said Koa-sha Inc's advanced media technology, extensive global customer network and strong financial status will benefit TSF.

Koa-sha has managed media space for Japanese National Railways' 520 routes and 10,500 stations nationwide for 76 years, while TSF is long established in Thailand's media industry. The joint venture will seek other media opportunities as well.

Koa-sha Inc plans to diversify its media business in Thailand and elsewhere in Southeast Asia. Its next project will be a joint investment in outdoor media in Vietnam with local partners.

Mr Aran said TSF is interested in expanding into renewable energy by mid-2012. He declined to give details but did say TSF's energy business would eventually generate more sustainable revenue than media operations.

In recent few months, TSF surprised the public when it attempted to take over the ailing gas distributor Picnic Corporation, though it later scrapped the plan.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...k-joint-effort
napoleon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #683
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

I took a taxi and made the right choice. Taking the BST (after the Airport Express) and then pulling the trolley bag till the hotel on those crowded narrow pavements, would have been a real torture. I had a free one way transfer on my hotel package, which I used on return, so no biggie.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #684
Codename B
Detective

Likes (Received): 15558

Bangkok Mass Transit Update!

The Minister of Transport announced that he would accelerate 10 new lines to be completed within 7-8 years,
and bidding for all the lines need to be finished within the next 4 years.

The plans are as follows

Current lines as of August 2011

BTS Skytrain (light green & dark green lines) 31 km.
MRT Subway(blue line) 20 km.
SRT Airport Rail Link 28.6 km.
BRT Bus Rapid Transit 16.5 km.

Total = 96.1 km.

----------------------------------------------

Lines under construction

1. Dark Green line extension (Taksin - Bangwa) 5.3 km.
2. Light Red line (Bangsue - Talling Chan) 15 km.
3. Purple line (Bansue - Bang Yai) 23 km.
4. Blue line (Bangsue - Ta Phra & Hualamphong - Bang Kae) 27 km.

Total : 70.3 km.

Lines to be signed this year: 2011

Two lines are ready to be signed.

1. Green line extension (Bearing - Samut Prakan) 12.8 km.
2. Red line (Bangsue - Rangsit) 26 km.

Total : 38.8 km.

5 more lines to be signed.

1. Pink line (Kaerai - Minburi) 36 km.
2. Green line extension (Mo Chit - Sapan Mai) 11.4 km.
3. Light Red line (Bangsue - Phaya Thai - Makkasan & Bangsue - Hualamphong) 25.5 km.
4. Purple line extension (Bangsue - Ratchaburana) 19.8 km.
5. Orange line (Thailand Cultural Center - Bangkapi - Minburi) 20 km.

Total : 112.7 km.

6 more lines to be signed.

1. Light Red line extension (Sirirat - Tallin Chan) 14 km.
2. Light Red line extension (Sirirat - Salaya) 6 km.
3. Red line extension (Rangsit - Thammasat University) 10 km.
4. Green line extension (Sapan Mai - Ko kut) 7 km.
5. Yellow line (Lad Phrao - Pattanakarn - Samrong) 30.4 km.
6. Airport Rail Link extension (Don Mueang Airport - Bangsue - Phaya Thai) 21.8 km.

Total : 89.2 km.

When all the lines are completed in 7-8 years time, Bangkok will have a mass transit system of 406.9 km.

source: http://mgr.manager.co.th/mgrWeekly/V...=9540000127539

Last edited by Codename B; October 21st, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Codename B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #685
AltinD
The Modecator

I found the MRT more pleasant to use then BST. The self-ticketing system was more intuitive and accepted both coins and paper money, unlike that of the BST accepting only coins, cheaper too.

Though, they should solve the incompatibility. BST uses paper tickets, while MRT uses tokens, and it will cost them allot to adapt a single ticketing system for both.

I found it interesting that there were Metal detector gates at the MRT entrances, and an officer checking with a flashlight the bags of the passengers.
I can cheat you blind.

Old October 16th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #686
Codename B
Detective

BTS Skytrain and BRT Bus Rapid Transit system is already integrated, and a single ticketing system will be implemented for BTS Skytrain and MRT Subway by the end of this year.

But that still leaves the SRT Airport Rail Link..

Last edited by Codename B; October 16th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #687
Yappofloyd

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
I don't think increasing the frequency to 10 minutes from 15, is a good idea. It will just skyrocket their expences while not imcreasing the ridership at all. They just have to solve those other problems.

As I see it, the City Terminal location is their biggest problem.
The location of the CAT was determined by land availability and the fact that it will cater for other eastern line trains in the future. The terminal is located on the huge Makkasan rail yards site most of which will be developed over the next 20 years and another metro line will connect with it.

Your first statement in relation to frequency is perhaps correct for the Express Line which is getting around 3K pax a day but not so for the CityLine (all stops) which averages around 38-40k pax a day and is overcrowded during peak times. The SRT wants to increase the frequency of the Cityline but currently it does not have sufficient rolling stock. (Only 5, 3 car Cityline sets and 4 Express sets).
Yappofloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #688
Yappofloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Another problem is that they don't advertise it like crazy in the airport.
This is true as signs and info is limited but there is a reason besides just incompetence by the SRT. The Airport operator runs the Airport Limo service and also derives income form the surcharge imposed upon each departing taxi at departures level thus extra pax on the train means less pax taking taxis or limos and less income for them.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #689
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd View Post
The location of the CAT was determined by land availability and the fact that it will cater for other eastern line trains in the future. The terminal is located on the huge Makkasan rail yards site most of which will be developed over the next 20 years and another metro line will connect with it.

Your first statement in relation to frequency is perhaps correct for the Express Line which is getting around 3K pax a day but not so for the CityLine (all stops) which averages around 38-40k pax a day and is overcrowded during peak times. The SRT wants to increase the frequency of the Cityline but currently it does not have sufficient rolling stock. (Only 5, 3 car Cityline sets and 4 Express sets).
For people with trolley luggages, public transport is not the best option ... if you are a backpacker, that's another matter. You simply can't pull luggages in the street, not in Bangkok anyway. There is hardly any place left for human beings there.
I can cheat you blind.

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:18 AM   #690
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
For people with trolley luggages, public transport is not the best option ... if you are a backpacker, that's another matter. You simply can't pull luggages in the street, not in Bangkok anyway. There is hardly any place left for human beings there.
Same could be applied to virtually any city in the world. True, Bangkok hasn't got a well developed (rail) public transport but what is built is rather good. For instance, the trains are spacious (if you compare to, say, London where carrying luggage in deep-level lines may be a nightmare). I use both public transport and/or taxis in mot cities I travel. Bangkok is neither good nor bad here. The only real problem is generally underdeveloped public transport which, hopefully, will change over the next decade or so.

Last edited by Pansori; October 21st, 2011 at 01:23 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 11:47 AM   #691
Codename B
Detective

Wait a few more years krub. Bangkok Mass Transit System is still expanding

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename B View Post
Bangkok Mass Transit Update!

The Minister of Transport announced that he would accelerate 10 new lines to be completed within 7-8 years,

MRT Subway (blue line) 20 km.

Total = 96.1 km.

Lines under constructions

1. BTS Dark Green line extension (Taksin - Bangwa) 5.3 km.
2. SRT Light Red line (Bangsue - Talling Chan) 15 km.
3. MRT Purple line (Bansue - Bang Yai) 23 km.
4. MRT Blue line extension (Bangsue - Ta Phra & Hualamphong - Bang Kae) 27 km.

The plans are as follows

1. BTS Green line extension (Bearing - Samut Prakan) 12.8 km.
2. SRT Red line (Bangsue - Rangsit) 26 km.

2. BTS Green line extension (Mo Chit - Sapan Mai) 11.4 km.
3. SRT Light Red line extension (Bangsue - Phaya Thai - Makkasan & Bangsue - Hualamphong) 25.5 km.
4. MRT Purple line extension (Bangsue - Ratchaburana) 19.8 km.

1. SRT Light Red line extension (Sirirat - Tallin Chan) 14 km.
2. SRT Light Red line extension (Sirirat - Salaya) 6 km.
3. SRT Red line extension (Rangsit - Thammasat University) 10 km.
4. BTS Green line extension (Sapan Mai - Ko kut) 7 km.
6. SRT Airport Rail Link extension (Don Mueang Airport - Bangsue - Phaya Thai) 21.8 km.

When all the lines are completed in 7-8 years time, Bangkok will have a mass transit system of 406.9 km.

Last edited by Codename B; October 21st, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:27 PM   #692
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Same could be applied to virtually any city in the world. True, Bangkok hasn't got a well developed (rail) public transport but what is built is rather good. For instance, the trains are spacious (if you compare to, say, London where carrying luggage in deep-level lines may be a nightmare). I use both public transport and/or taxis in mot cities I travel. Bangkok is neither good nor bad here. The only real problem is generally underdeveloped public transport which, hopefully, will change over the next decade or so.
Yes of course. I am talking in general anyway. I once took the train + Metro from Vienna Airport to the center of the city, and while the train rides were great, pulling the trolley bag on the street was not. A group of policemens were even giving me strange looks ... and I'm faaaar from being a dubious looking person
I can cheat you blind.

Old October 27th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #693
Yappofloyd

Quote:

BTS Skytrain and BRT Bus Rapid Transit system is already integrated, and a single ticketing system will be implemented for BTS Skytrain and MRT Subway by the end of this year.

But that still leaves the SRT Airport Rail Link..
Really?!? I highly doubt that.

I could post quotes for the past 4 years from both operators stating that there would be an integrated ticketing system by the end of the year and yet still it is no where close.

Ticketing platform wise, the SRTET ARL and BMCL MRT are closer to beign able to provide an intergrated ticketing system than the BTSC BTS and MRT.
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #694
Codename B
Detective

Here's the most recent news about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happynoel View Post
เห็นนิ่งไปนาน เอามาให้ดีใจ ไม่รู้จะทำได้ตามที่ลงข่าวไว้ไหม

บีทีเอสเผยเปิดให้บริการบีทีเอสวงเวียนใหญ่-บางหว้า ธ.ค.ปีหน้า ใช้ตั๋วร่วมกับใต้ดินปลายปีนี้

นายคีรี กาญจนพาสน์ ประธานกรรมการบริหาร บริษัท บีทีเอส กรุ๊ป โฮลดิ้งส์ จำกัด (มหาชน) หรือบีทีเอส เปิดเผยว่า ช่วงเดือนตุลาคมนี้ คาดว่าจะเซ็นสัญญารับจ้างเดินรถไฟฟ้าช่วงวงเวียนใหญ่-บางหว้า จำนวน 4 สถานี กับทางกรุงเทพมหานคร และจะเริ่มให้บริการในเดือนธันวาคม 2555 นอกจากนี้ บริษัทจะลงทุนประมาณ 1.5 พันล้านบาท เพื่อซื้อรถไฟฟ้า 5 ขบวนแบบ 4 ตู้ รองรับการเดินรถเส้นทางดังกล่าว โดยอยู่ระหว่างตกลงราคา ทั้งนี้ ปลายปีนี้บริษัทจะสามารถเปิดให้บริการตั๋วร่วมที่ใช้สำหรับรถไฟฟ้าบีทีเอส และรถไฟฟ้าใต้ดิน (MRT) ได้ในใบเดียวกัน ซึ่งบริษัทได้ลงทุนไปแล้วกว่า 800 ล้านบาท

http://www.prachachat.net/news_detai...tid=&subcatid=
We were surprised too, if they're going to make it in time, but lets wait and see (again). 55
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #695
AltinD
The Modecator

With the recent flood problem, I really doubt it, plus it's not a simple standartisation, modification or replacements of both the gates and ticket mashines have to be done.
I can cheat you blind.

Old November 7th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #696
Bangroma-sky
from east to west

Likes (Received): 488

Does somebody have any figures about the daily amount of custemers use the public transport systems?
Old November 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #697
Codename B
Detective

Quote:
With the recent flood problem, I really doubt it, plus it's not a simple standartisation, modification or replacements of both the gates and ticket mashines have to be done.
Insider news from thai forumers suggest that we will see it soon early next year.

They have already set out the ticket system, the name of the card and they are forming the system and training their staff.
Old November 9th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #698
mopc

Likes (Received): 11945

So let me get this straight: as of now, Bangkok only has 1 metro line, plus the "skytrain"? Is'nt there suburban rail as well?
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #699
Codename B
Detective

Quote:

Here's an update for Bangkok Mass Transit System

Bangkok Mass Transit Update

The plans are as follows

MRT Subway(blue line) 20 km.

Total = 96.1 km.

Lines under construction

1. Dark Green line extension (Taksin - Bangwa) 5.3 km.
2. Light Red line (Bangsue - Talling Chan) 15 km.
3. Purple line (Bansue - Bang Yai) 23 km.
4. Blue line (Bangsue - Ta Phra & Hualamphong - Bang Kae) 27 km.

1. Green line extension (Bearing - Samut Prakan) 12.8 km.
2. Red line (Bangsue - Rangsit) 26 km.

2. Green line extension (Mo Chit - Sapan Mai) 11.4 km.
3. Light Red line (Bangsue - Phaya Thai - Makkasan & Bangsue - Hualamphong) 25.5 km.
4. Purple line extension (Bangsue - Ratchaburana) 19.8 km.

1. Light Red line extension (Sirirat - Tallin Chan) 14 km.
2. Light Red line extension (Sirirat - Salaya) 6 km.
3. Red line extension (Rangsit - Thammasat University) 10 km.
4. Green line extension (Sapan Mai - Ko kut) 7 km.
6. Airport Rail Link extension (Don Mueang Airport - Bangsue - Phaya Thai) 21.8 km.

Master Plan

[IMG]http://******************/i1/metroschematic.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.otp.go.th/th/Bkk_mrt/
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #700
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Insider news from thai forumers suggest that we will see it soon early next year.

They have already set out the ticket system, the name of the card and they are forming the system and training their staff.
But that would be a Smart Card that can work on both systems. But what about the Metro using tokens and the Sky train using paper tickets?

Still I think modifications are needed on the gates of Sky train, or will the machines "swallow" your smart card on one side and "extract" it on the other, as they do with the normal tickets?
I can cheat you blind.

Tags
bangkok