daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #101
Orienthai
Siam City

Likes (Received): 3

Sutthisan Station
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Silom Station
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Orienthai; January 24th, 2008 at 08:51 PM.
Orienthai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #102
blkarr0ws

Likes (Received): 1

why is the purple line not go underground?
blkarr0ws no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #103
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 2532

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkarr0ws View Post
why is the purple line not go underground?
It is in SUburb AREA so the elevated track is more cost effectivbe than undergroudn tracks ... In other citeis aroudn the world, the t rack of underground have become elevated tracks once the lines have reached suburbs.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #104
Bentown
Lost in Paradise

Likes (Received): 1849

I found underground shopping at Jatujak station look really cool.............
Bentown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #105
SpastiK

Likes (Received): 163

wow! this metro network seems to be very nice! I┤m looking forward to visit it next November
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #106
Bentown
Lost in Paradise

Metro Mall Underground [email protected] Chatuchak station

Old May 20th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #107
JC
bankokukara kitayo!

Likes (Received): 0

Airport Rail Link to Suvarnabhumi Airport

Makkasan Station/City check-in terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHemon View Post

JC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #108
JC
bankokukara kitayo!

BTS Extension On-nut to Bearing

Pics by Chainarai

See all update pictures here. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=514835
JC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #109
blkarr0ws

The airport link train

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONG View Post

Here we go with the latest update

Old May 30th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #110
Bitxofo
íViva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Airport Rail Link to Suvarnabhumi Airport

Makkasan Station/City check-in terminal
When is this line opening?
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allÝ. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #111
konthaimaitalorkan

Airport link is likely a Commuter rail more than metro na....

Last edited by konthaimaitalorkan; May 31st, 2008 at 06:38 PM.
konthaimaitalorkan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:10 AM   #112
blkarr0ws

about end of next year
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:11 AM   #113
el_norte
global nomad

THAT's going to be nice. I usually take catch the 551 bus from suvarnabhumi to Victory Monument and then get on the BTS down to National Stadium (generally where I stay when I'm in BKK). A direct BTS line to the airport will save easily 1.5 hours of travel time, especially at rush hour... amazing.

But the metro still sucks. While it would be great if it were integrated with the skytrain, it's ridiculous that it's not one system. Bangkok is maybe the only city i've ever been to with two parallel transit systems that don't cooperate. BTS and the metro need to unite as one!

And, as a general rule, it's stupidly expensive. 30b for a short ride on the BTS, followed by the same (if not more) on the metro? How does New Delhi, which has a system probably even more impressive than that of BKK, manage to only charge Rs. 5-8 (4-7 baht) a ride? The ridiculous cost (for Bangkok) of the skytrain makes it too pricy most locals - it's the equivalent of charging $10 to ride the New York subway.
Among the basic freedoms to which men aspire that their lives might be full and uncramped, freedom from fear stands out as both a means and an end. A people who would build a nation in which strong, democratic institutions are firmly established as a guarantee against state-induced power must first learn to liberate their own minds from apathy and fear.
el_norte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM   #114
DShoost88

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_norte View Post
And, as a general rule, it's stupidly expensive. 30b for a short ride on the BTS, followed by the same (if not more) on the metro? How does New Delhi, which has a system probably even more impressive than that of BKK, manage to only charge Rs. 5-8 (4-7 baht) a ride? The ridiculous cost (for Bangkok) of the skytrain makes it too pricy most locals - it's the equivalent of charging $10 to ride the New York subway.
I'm no expert on the conversion, but I'm pretty sure the conversion of bahts to dollars is 33 bahts = $1 (1 American Dollar). So on the contrary, paying 30 bahts for a short ride is much like paying about $1 to ride the train... sounds pretty fair, at least by American standards.

Also, while I'm commenting about the train, I just wanted to say that after visiting Bangkok last year, I absolutely loved the skytrain and subway system. My last night there, I was stuck in traffic for 4 hours driving to a Muay Thai fight. When the fight was over, I saw that a subway stop near the arena could take me to the place I was staying at. The train took 15 minutes... I couldn't believe how convenient it was. It's great that Thailand is investing so much money into mass transit for residents in the city. The auto-traffic there is an absolute nightmare!
DShoost88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 11:37 PM   #115
blkmage
Noblesse Oblige

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_norte View Post
But the metro still sucks. While it would be great if it were integrated with the skytrain, it's ridiculous that it's not one system. Bangkok is maybe the only city i've ever been to with two parallel transit systems that don't cooperate. BTS and the metro need to unite as one!
there is a plan for that and it will take about six months...
this news below was from 24th january, so fingers-crossed that it will happen soon. it's not only the tickets that will get upgraded, all busses will now be replaced by airconditioned busses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by analayo View Post
มาซะที รอเหงือกแห้งแล้ว

TRANSPORT / SKYTRAIN, SUBWAY TRAVEL INCENTIVE

Single ticketing plan moves step closer
AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

Bangkok's elevated train and subway operators plan to integrate their ticketing system this year and then cut fares to encourage more commuters to use the service.

Executives of Bangkok Mass Transit System Plc (BTS), which operates the elevated railway, and Bangkok Metro Plc (BMCL), which runs the subway, signed an agreement yesterday to integrate their ticketing systems.

According to BTS chief adviser Anat Arbhabhirama, the companies will make their old tickets compatible with each other's systems in the next six months.

In the next two years, they will introduce a common ticketing system that can later expand to cover other modes of transport, including expressways, passenger buses, boats and shops.

Key to the integration is creation of a clearing house by both electric train operators to handle revenue-sharing.

The companies plan to hire a consultant next month to study the integration process.

BTS chief executive officer Keeree Kanjanapas said that once a common ticketing system is in place, both operators will find ways to cut fares to attract more commuters.

Without fare cuts being offered, he said, few commuters would turn to electric trains because there were other kinds of affordable transport available.

He expected the convenience of a common ticketing system would encourage more commuters to use electric trains.

However, BMCL managing director Sombat Kitjalaksana said yesterday that the subway would raise its fares from 15-39 baht to 16-40 baht from July 3 this year. The increase was in line with its contract which allows the firm to raise fares every two years.

Prapat Chongsanguan, governor of the Mass Rapid Transit Authority which owns the subway concession, said extended railway networks would make the system more attractive, not a common ticketing system.

Meanwhile, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has cut its rapid-train fees for people travelling less than 300 kilometres. The cut is to help offset higher consumer prices resulting from rising fuel costs.

The fee cut will take effect on Feb 1. The fare for a trip of up to 50km will be halved to 20 baht. Those travelling up to 150km will pay 30 baht and up to 300km, 50 baht.

Trips within these ranges include services between Bangkok and Lop Buri, Kaeng Khoi and Ratchaburi. The fare for travel distances of over 300km will stay at 110 baht.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Jan2008_news02.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by napoleon View Post
Plan for day tickets, all-aircon bus fleet

Bangkokpost 11/04/2008

The Transport Ministry has floated the idea of making all city buses airconditioned and introducing a flat rate fare for a one-day travel pass.

Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri told the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) to prepare a proposal for consideration by the cabinet next month.

''One-day tickets and airconditioned buses should encourage people to leave their cars at home and take buses or other public transportation,'' he said

''Good service at a reasonable price would help reduce the use of private vehicles.''

The fare would not be high, even though all buses would be airconditioned, to ensure it was within the means of low-income commuters.

There are about 1.5 million fully paid bus rides a day in the city, with another 300,000 trips by the elderly and children.

He said the BMTA also needs to revise its bus routes to better serve the needs of commuters and complete the link services with the skytrain and subway systems.

BMTA director Pinet Puapatanakul said the flat-rate ticket should be in the range of 10 to 20 baht. Normal fares based on distance travelled would remain in place for short rides.

''Airconditioned buses will attract people who now travel by car, but fares must be cheaper than using private cars,'' he said.

The BMTA rejuvenation plan also includes cutting the staff pool from 18,000 to 12,000, he said.
blkmage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #116
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

great news for public transport in Bangkok...

(except for last part about the 6000 jobs cut)

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #117
el_norte
global nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShoost88 View Post
I'm no expert on the conversion, but I'm pretty sure the conversion of bahts to dollars is 33 bahts = $1 (1 American Dollar). So on the contrary, paying 30 bahts for a short ride is much like paying about $1 to ride the train... sounds pretty fair, at least by American standards.
That would be fair, if Bangkok was in the United States and populated by people getting paid in US dollars. That's not the case, though - the skytrain is too expensive for the vast majority of the local population who make under $20 US a day (that's generous). By Thai income standards, 30 baht may very well be the equivalent of $10 for many.
Among the basic freedoms to which men aspire that their lives might be full and uncramped, freedom from fear stands out as both a means and an end. A people who would build a nation in which strong, democratic institutions are firmly established as a guarantee against state-induced power must first learn to liberate their own minds from apathy and fear.
el_norte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #118
blkarr0ws

nice
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #119
Bitxofo
íViva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3672

Is it really opening in October 2008?

I was in BKK in April 2008 and nobody knew it...
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allÝ. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #120
Bentown
Lost in Paradise

BANGKOK | Public Transport

I strat the new thread for collect the all data about all mass transit in Bangkok now and another plan project...

BTS Skytrain+MRTA Metro+ARL Airport rail link map 2008

BRT Bus rapid map(orange one)

Tags
bangkok