daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #1641
thpsycho

Likes (Received): 12

seems like most of the people interviewed on prachachat seems to think the BRT is sufficient. Well i guess the route of the BRT doesn't really run through places with high residential housing (i.e. it runs at the end of sathu pradit where its would probably not be the most convenient place for most residents to go catch the BRT bus) hence not meeting the ridership target.
thpsycho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #1642
George W. Bush
Look at that parking lot!

Likes (Received): 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by thpsycho View Post
seems like most of the people interviewed on prachachat seems to think the BRT is sufficient. Well i guess the route of the BRT doesn't really run through places with high residential housing (i.e. it runs at the end of sathu pradit where its would probably not be the most convenient place for most residents to go catch the BRT bus) hence not meeting the ridership target.
If there is not enough demand for public buses due to location then it is not immediately clear why a tram substituting the buses should be any more successful. At least they can reuse the BRT buses anywhere else in the city, unlike a tram.

Falubaz liked this post
George W. Bush está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 05:45 PM   #1643
Appleich
Appleich

Likes (Received): 3702

SRT Dark Red Line (Bang Sue - Rangsit) Update

by Khun Asurada Kak

Old June 19th, 2016, 02:38 AM   #1644
In Fra Structure

Likes (Received): 51

Originally Posted by thpsycho
seems like most of the people interviewed on prachachat seems to think the BRT is sufficient. Well i guess the route of the BRT doesn't really run through places with high residential housing (i.e. it runs at the end of sathu pradit where its would probably not be the most convenient place for most residents to go catch the BRT bus) hence not meeting the ridership target"
"If there is not enough demand for public buses due to location then it is not immediately clear why a tram substituting the buses should be any more successful. At least they can reuse the BRT buses anywhere else in the city, unlike a tram. "

I have tried to get on the BRT at Chong Nong Si BTS/BRT station during rush hours, but the crowds are overwhelming. I had to get a taxi instead. This indicates that the reason that the BRT is losing money is not lack of passengers, but insufficient bus capacity. The fare is only B5.00 therefore a rise in the fare to B7.00 and more buses at peak would bring it into a small profit. If they charged B10, as they do for other air conditioned buses, they would be making a handsome profit. The bulk of the passengers come from the BTS and B10 is acceptable to them. The need to replace the BRT with trams or a monorail has more to do with 'Benefits' during the procurement process and the DSI is watching out for corruption.
In Fra Structure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 06:18 AM   #1645
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
I have tried to get on the BRT at Chong Nong Si BTS/BRT station during rush hours, but the crowds are overwhelming. I had to get a taxi instead. This indicates that the reason that the BRT is losing money is not lack of passengers, but insufficient bus capacity. The fare is only B5.00 therefore a rise in the fare to B7.00 and more buses at peak would bring it into a small profit. If they charged B10, as they do for other air conditioned buses, they would be making a handsome profit. The bulk of the passengers come from the BTS and B10 is acceptable to them. The need to replace the BRT with trams or a monorail has more to do with 'Benefits' during the procurement process and the DSI is watching out for corruption.
I thought I have seen older planning maps for the BTS that showed a BTS extension from Chong Nonsi south (the current route of the BRT). Is this still under consideration?
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 08:50 AM   #1646
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 2532

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdery View Post
I thought I have seen older planning maps for the BTS that showed a BTS extension from Chong Nonsi south (the current route of the BRT). Is this still under consideration?
NOPE, it has become BRT after BMA Governor Abhirak has rejected the idea of ex BMA Governor Phichit Rattakun

1 July 2016 is the starting date for the construction bidding of Orange Line MRT from Minburi to Thailand Cultural center via Ram Khamhaeng University and Hua Mark stadium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWVWSpi3qDY
Old June 19th, 2016, 10:00 AM   #1647
In Fra Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdery View Post
I have most of the previous maps going back to the original 1979 Master Plan. The BTS was never going to be extended from Chong Nonsi around the river following the BRT route. That is the latest plan for the Grey Line Monorail Phase II. There is also planned the light blue line Monorail from Chong Nonsi along Sathorn rd to Lumphini, then Makasan and on to meet the orange line. If it ever happens, it probably will not commence construction until 2027/28.
Old June 19th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #1648
CNXWORLD
泰国

Likes (Received): 6715

MRT Purple Line Trial Run

Appleich, dimlys1994, Codename B liked this post
CNXWORLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #1649
sdery

Quote:
There is also planned the light blue line Monorail from Chong Nonsi along Sathorn rd to Lumphini, then Makasan and on to meet the orange line. If it ever happens, it probably will not commence construction until 2027/28.
I hope this line is built as it will improve connectivity from Sathorn, especially to the Airport Link, and (hopefully) will help with the development of Makkasan. BTW, will Makkasan become the eastern hub for the highspeed rail to Rayong?
Old June 20th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #1650
Codename B
Detective

Likes (Received): 15603

MRT Purple line extension (23.6 km) will be given to the Cabinet for approval in August, where bidding will take place later this year.

http://www.manager.co.th/iBizChannel...=9590000061340

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MRT Purple line (23 km) - Operational on August 6

Just like Sukhumvit line, Silom line and Chaloem Ratchamongkhon (Blue) line. Purple line official name is Chalong Ratchadhamma.

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Codename B; June 20th, 2016 at 06:57 PM.
Codename B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 06:39 PM   #1651
Codename B
Detective

MRT Yellow line Monorail - (30.4 km) - Bidding at the end of this month

Illustration of Yellow line interchange station (Phattanakarn station) with the Airport Rail Link (Hua Mak station) by Render Thailand

https://www.facebook.com/RenderThail...92628064330749

Last edited by Codename B; June 21st, 2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:18 AM   #1652
thpsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W. Bush View Post
If there is not enough demand for public buses due to location then it is not immediately clear why a tram substituting the buses should be any more successful. At least they can reuse the BRT buses anywhere else in the city, unlike a tram.
Very true. I guess they are thinking about saving petrol cost as that may have been the killer for the system the past few years when petrol price was sky high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Fra Structure View Post
seems like most of the people interviewed on prachachat seems to think the BRT is sufficient. Well i guess the route of the BRT doesn't really run through places with high residential housing (i.e. it runs at the end of sathu pradit where its would probably not be the most convenient place for most residents to go catch the BRT bus) hence not meeting the ridership target"
"If there is not enough demand for public buses due to location then it is not immediately clear why a tram substituting the buses should be any more successful. At least they can reuse the BRT buses anywhere else in the city, unlike a tram. "

Yes i have also been puzzled how they could survive on a 5 bt flat fee for so long. They should just charge like the rest of the system (incremental) and maybe start at 5 bt and the last station is 10 bt. just to say as an example.

Quote:
I have most of the previous maps going back to the original 1979 Master Plan. The BTS was never going to be extended from Chong Nonsi around the river following the BRT route. That is the latest plan for the Grey Line Monorail Phase II. There is also planned the light blue line Monorail from Chong Nonsi along Sathorn rd to Lumphini, then Makasan and on to meet the orange line. If it ever happens, it probably will not commence construction until 2027/28.
noooooooo we need the trees on Wireless road. They should build an underground system to preserve the trees. That's the only road in inner bangkok that is 'green'.

Last edited by thpsycho; June 21st, 2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:26 AM   #1653
thpsycho

the renders for the yellow line looks great !
but once again, because of the different operators, we have a bad/far connection between the two (transfer) systems. Could be a hassle for travellers with bulky luggage. hope they at least build escalators for those exiting the platforms/stations and not make passengers carry luggage down the stairs like ARL Phayathai

Swede liked this post
Old June 21st, 2016, 10:27 AM   #1654
Codename B
Detective

SRT Red line Missing Link extension - (25.5 km) (Bang Sue - Hua Lamphong and Bang Sue - Hua Mak) and SRT Airport Rail Link extension - (21.8 km) (Phaya Thai - Don Mueang Airport) will be given to the Cabinet for approval in early July. Once approved, SRT will hold a bidding for these lines.

As both lines share some section of the route, they will be built simultaneously.

source: http://www.thairath.co.th/content/642847

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Codename B; June 21st, 2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old June 21st, 2016, 02:26 PM   #1655
Wisarut

Quote:

Quote:

Yes i have also been puzzled how they could survive on a 5 bt flat fee for so long. They should just charge like the rest of the system (incremental) and maybe start at 5 bt and the last station is 10 bt. just to say as an example.

noooooooo we need the trees on Wireless road. They should build an underground system to preserve the trees. That's the only road in inner bangkok that is 'green'.
the original rate for BRT is 10-18 Baht though

Serious warning - Wireless road is considered as Embassy Row of BKK and those diplomats along Wireless road would NOT allow to chop down the trees along Wireless road at all. The ONLY alternative is to follow Mae Nam railway (an old cargo line from Makkasan station to Mae Nam station dated back to 1910 before branching out to Klong Toei port and Bang Chak refinery as a part of Mae Nam station yard) - Those diplomat would not allow the same mistake BMA has done to the row of tree along Sathon Nuea - Sathon Tai road in 1979 though. Worse, those diplomats along Wireless road would NEVER allow even subway to go through Wireless road due to security issue as well as the mess during construction.

Quote:
the renders for the yellow line looks great !
but once again, because of the different operators, we have a bad/far connection between the two (transfer) systems. Could be a hassle for travellers with bulky luggage. hope they at least build escalators for those exiting the platforms/stations and not make passengers carry luggage down the stairs like ARL Phayathai
This implication means SRT will have to negotiate with MRTA (the one who is going to run Yellow Line Monorail) to make a proper connection like the way they have connected New Makkasan station with Phetburi subway station - this kind of via duct connection is going to boost the number of passengers as it has been done to New Makkasan station of Airport Link.

Last edited by Wisarut; June 21st, 2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Addendum
Wisarut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:11 PM   #1656
Codename B
Detective

MRT Blue line extension - (27 km) - 77.28%

https://www.facebook.com/RenderThailand/?fref=ts

Bangpo station

Credit: Khun Athi Aachawaradt

Lak Song station

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...09174012632662

dimlys1994, knrOctober liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:14 PM   #1657
thpsycho

@wisarut thanks for the info ! it's comforting to know that the diplomats/embassy on Wireless Road will have some say in keeping the trees. Actually you also bring up a good point regarding security. If it's a monorail, that would also be security risk as people can see from above as well.

Regarding BRT's old fare rate, well it's going up to 18bt may be too expensive for many who takes the long distance.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:51 PM   #1658
In Fra Structure

Quote:
@wisarut thanks for the info ! it's comforting to know that the diplomats/embassy on Wireless Road will have some say in keeping the trees. Actually you also bring up a good point regarding security. If it's a monorail, that would also be security risk as people can see from above as well.

Regarding BRT's old fare rate, well it's going up to 18bt may be too expensive for many who takes the long distance.
The British Embassy is going to be sold for development which is diabolical since the whole land was given free to the British Government. They sold the garden to developers who constructed the Embassy shopping mall/white elephant. Next to go possibly the US Embassy and then down can come the trees.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:37 PM   #1659
sdery

Is there an express just east, parallel to Wireless Road? The monorail would have to take a short detour on Rama 4 from Sathorn but at least there would not be any of the issues mentioned above regarding trees or embassy security.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 06:35 AM   #1660
Wisarut

Quote:
From Code Name B: First lot of refurbished BMTA buses will be running at the start of this month.

Following a discussion on the continuing rejection of BMA bids on the purchase of buses due to suspected corruption, I suggested that they should refurbish their existing buses. I used to work with all the UK Bus Companies and London Transport used to design their buses to be refurbished. However, on reflection I do not think that refurbishing buses will stop the opportunity for incentives to be paid.
This one has a lot to do with endless political football as well as the pressing demands from the handicapped and the rising number of senior citizens who desperately want low floor buses. Even after bidding, Ch. Thawee cannot and BMTA cannot sign the contract as the contenders from China have punched below the belt against Ch. Thawee and BMTA with endless lawsuits.

Tags
bangkok