daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #4201
fubo

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
I think you can determine the difference between existing buildings and those that aren't even built yet...
I think you misunderstand the project. The proposal is for an existing building the Donovan, and not as you so eloquently put it "those that aren't even built yet..."
fubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #4202
fubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWNY'er View Post
I don't think it would be too difficult to revise this so it would reach the street and add in some street level retail, shopping or eateries. I'm alright with it beyond that.

Here is the link to a big San Francisco law firm and their downtown building. It's about the same size as this proposed building. There is a Peets Coffee on the plaza behind the tree.

http://www.orrick.com/img/offices-sforrickbuilding.jpg
Hopefully some of the other proposals to be submitted will be better. If not they should at the very least require them to build to the canal as in the model.
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #4203
ECoastTransplant

Likes (Received): 56

More from the News:

Benderson expects to fill the first floor with retail and restaurant space, while "additional office users or complementary users" would take up floors 2 through 4, Recoon said. The developer does not yet have signed leases from other tenants, he said, but "we have additional prospective users" for some space, including retail and restaurant, as well as office.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle425317.ece

It's obvious this RFP process is only going on to "officially" designate Benderson as developer there. They were hand-selected previously to oversee all of Canal Side. Rumor is that Ciminelli had a lawsuit ready if Benderson got Donovan without anyone else getting a shot at it. That being said, I'd love to see what other proposals come in.
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #4204
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
I think you misunderstand the project. The proposal is for an existing building the Donovan, and not as you so eloquently put it "those that aren't even built yet..."
Yes sorry, technically I'm wrong on that comment. But the donovan has been planned for either complete demolition or a re-skinning like the Avant for years now. That site is open for anything. But that "anything" should still fit in with the overall design guidelines. It's not on par with existing in-use buildings like the Buffalo News that were never even intended for redesign or demolition. So I stand by my point.
homestar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #4205
atypical

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
I don't think it would be too difficult to revise this so it would reach the street and add in some street level retail, shopping or eateries. I'm alright with it beyond that.

Here is the link to a big San Francisco law firm and their downtown building. It's about the same size as this proposed building. There is a Peets Coffee on the plaza behind the tree.

http://www.orrick.com/img/offices-sforrickbuilding.jpg
Yea, that is impressive as well as the Morgan Stanley Building in Baltimore.

I think it's time we get someone from the Buffalo SkyscraperCity board or Buffalo Rising board to sit on the Canal Board and offer community input. It would save a lot of time.
atypical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #4206
fubo

Quote:
Yes sorry, technically I'm wrong on that comment. But the donovan has been planned for either complete demolition or a re-skinning like the Avant for years now. That site is open for anything. But that "anything" should still fit in with the overall design guidelines. It's not on par with existing in-use buildings like the Buffalo News that were never even intended for redesign or demolition. So I stand by my point.
understood, I was just bustin' yer chops.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #4207
WIGS
token Canadian

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECoastTransplant View Post
On Five Guys opening in Erie County- YUMM!!! They're opening in the Sacramento region too.
it's kinda funny how we have 2 Five Guys locations in the Calgary area yet Sac and BUF are just getting them. Five Guys is probably one of (if not) the top chain burger joints.
"Buffalo is so interesting, and the whole idea of the Rust Belt cities I think has such a future. You know the focus on Detroit... by the way I mention Detroit, I don't think you can mention Detroit and Buffalo in the same breath. This place is in so much better shape." -Andrés Duany

Last edited by WIGS; May 18th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
WIGS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #4208
atypical

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
it's kinda funny how we have 2 Five Guys locations in the Calgary area yet Sac and BUF are just getting them. Five Guys is probably one of (if not) the top chain burger joints.
Calgary is clearly special.

They just started opening up Five Guys locations in Boston.

I'm surprised Buffalo does not have Qdoba yet...
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #4209
bayviews

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:

One thing Buffalo doesn't need are any more burger joints!

It has plenty
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #4210
homestar
Baleeted!

Buffalo Harbor water taxi begins service today.

"The water taxi will take passengers for rides along the inner and outer harbor, with stops at restaurants, the nature preserve and outer harbor bike trails. Other stops include parks, marinas and the NFTA small boat harbor."
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #4211
homestar
Baleeted!

was just the first launch. Full service will start next weekend.

more
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #4212
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 21682

Quote:
Aside from the fact that Calgary is a top 5 market in Canada, this chain, like most chains, relies on franchisees to develop new stores and some cities are further along on getting a fully financed franchisee going than others. Usually only the largest markets or home markets see corporate store development.
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #4213
homestar
Baleeted!

Interesting take on Donovan potential

Donovan site drawing interest

If nothing else, the news that Phillips Lytle has decided that the vacant Donovan building is its first choice for its new downtown Buffalo headquarters has shaken the proverbal economic development tree.

The announcement earlier this week that Phillips Lytle will likely be the building's anchor tenant if Benderson Development is awarded the development contract for the eight-story structure has forced others to move forward with their plans for the Donovan. Between now and the June 30 deadline the Erie Canal Harbor Development Corp. has for all bids to be delivered, expect to see a lot of interesting proposals for the Donovan building emerge.

In classic Buffalo form, when it comes to development issues, nobody wants to be the first in line. They all want the second position. Benderson/Phillips Lytle have secured the pole position.

"Now that one business has made its decision, you might see others take another look," predicted Mayor Byron Brown.

Bill Paladino, Ellicott Development chief executive officer, said his firm is giving the Donovan "a serious look."

Ditto for other developers.

full - http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...-interest.html
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #4214
atypical

Go Train - Toronto

Really wish we could work together with Toronto in establishing GO service between Toronto and Buffalo Niagara.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...ara-falls.html

Totally an opportunity for Cuomo to put his mark on our region... We need better transportation options between TO and Buffalo.

NFTA should totally jump at the opportunity; especially to promote BNIA. How many passengers fly in/out of BUF from Ontario? Lots.

Just look at Boston and Providence; there is train service between the two and Providence just continues to grow because of it...
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #4215
bayviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypical View Post

Just look at Boston and Providence; there is train service between the two and Providence just continues to grow because of it...
Actually, Providence’s growth owes from having attracted lots of new immigrants. Most are coming up from NYC, rather than Boston, & not necessarily by train.

Better train service between Buffalo & Toronto would be great. But it’s not likely to bring any more immigrants & the growth that comes along with it to Buffalo.

As a matter a fact, the Buffalo ICE “Homeland Security” outfit has been riding the trains in WNY, discouraging immigrants from even coming thru Buffalo, let alone settling in the area.

Sad but true: Given the massive build-up of Homeland Security Border Guards & ICE forces around WNY, being on an international border has only accelerated the region’s decline.
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:24 AM   #4216
ExWNY'er

Likes (Received): 45

Buffalo's future growth relies on immigrants from Africa and Asia. Look at all the east Africans moving in.
ExWNY'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:30 AM   #4217
fubo

Quote:
Buffalo Harbor water taxi begins service today.

"The water taxi will take passengers for rides along the inner and outer harbor, with stops at restaurants, the nature preserve and outer harbor bike trails. Other stops include parks, marinas and the NFTA small boat harbor."
There is zero reason to think this service will succeed. Why on earth would anyone pay 8 dollars to take a boat to the weed infested rock strewn outer harbor. The only thing there is a sidewalk through a narrow patch of grass. Not one single venue is out there. The taxi idea will be a failure because it is coming about five years too soon. I hope that does not poison the well for such a service when the time is right.
Old May 21st, 2011, 01:11 AM   #4218
ExWNY'er

Likes (Received): 45

I was thinking the same thing. What attractions are there to go to? When the Canalside is done, I think that would be a good idea. A taxi that circles the canals and goes to bars and restaurants- now that is something interesting.
ExWNY'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 02:14 AM   #4219
bayviews

Quote:
Buffalo's future growth relies on immigrants
Exactly, this can’t be said enough.

On the plus side, there's been a modest uptick into the Buffalo area over the past decade. Mostly refugees from a handful of war- town countries, plus the immigrant student-professionals funneling thru the local campuses.

But as the 2010 results confirm, still no big game changer. Buffalo’s still way far short of the immigrant inflow that many smaller places in the Northeast, Midwest & South have gotten. Let alone what's needed needed to stem the regional decline.

Re: the Buffalo harbor boat, from the article, looks like it creates a few jobs for a few folks. Probably as much as one could expect as far as impact!
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:31 AM   #4220
ECoastTransplant

Likes (Received): 56

Rocco Termini purchased the Lafayette Hotel on Friday. Wonder how many immigrants will fill the 115 apartments planned on the upper floors.

Tags
amherst, black rock, buffalo, cheektowaga, cobblestone, delaware ave., delaware park, depew, east aurora, east side, elmwood, inner harbor, kensington, lackawanna, lancaster, main st., niagara square, outer harbor, polonia, south side, south towns, the tonawandas, west side, williamsville