daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Transport and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #581
Andrew_za

Likes (Received): 233

Koeberg interchange set to open in June

The construction of the state-of-the-art, multi-millionrand Koeberg interchange is on track and will be opened to traffic next month, provincial transport authorities have confirmed.

Solly Malatsi, spokesman for Transport and Public Works MEC Robin Carlisle, said the last concrete deck was being cast over the railway line.

The last beams would then be put in place and the deck surfaced with tar.

"This will be followed by marking the surface with yellow and white lines," Malatsi said.

"Once this has been done, Ramp B should be on track for completion at the end of June."

Malatsi said the contract was scheduled for completion by September.

Earlier, the contractor said the project would be completed ahead of schedule, in March, but building was delayed by a construction accident in which a 72-ton suspended steel structure collapsed in August.

As it collapsed, the structure came close to crushing key railway lines, but these were spared in what Carlisle described as "an act of God".

The steel beam and latticework had been built to support the bridge, the link between the incoming N1 and the M5, which was completed before the World Cup last year.

In particular, it supported the span while concrete structures were built on top of it.

At the time, the plan was to remove the beam and to use it for the next stage - the connecting bridge between the M5 outgoing and N1 outgoing.

Phase 1 of the Koeberg interchange revamp - which included widening the N1, realigning the Salt River canal by 15m to the west of the M5, and completing the southbound ramp - was completed shortly before the World Cup last year.

The flyover, ramp A, was the first milestone in the R690 million Koeberg upgrade. The revamp included the construction of linking ramps to allow a free flow of traffic between the N1 and the M5.

The second phase, which includes the implementation of the N1 MyCiTi scheme and the completion of ramp B, travelling from the M5 on to the N1 freeway heading to Paarl, will be finished next month.

The Table Bay Boulevard upgrade - which included the widening, from two to three lanes, of the southbound carriageway of the N1 through the Koeberg interchange - has also been completed.

An extra lane has been added to the southbound carriageway of Table Bay Boulevard, between the Koeberg interchange and the Marine Drive interchange.

The only work to be done on the road after next month will be street lighting and landscaping and will not affect traffic.

Work on the project began in April 2008 and contractors estimated it would take 42 months to complete.
Andrew_za no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 28th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #582
SUNS 25
P.E. Aubameyang

Likes (Received): 697

Cap town, trčs belle ville que je dois visiter.
SUNS 25 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #583
briker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 58

CT’s highways won’t be finished
27 Jun 2011

The City of Cape Town says it will not complete the highway infrastructure around the city for many years and will invest whatever money it has in improving the public transport infrastructure instead.

Work on the Eastern and Western Boulevard overhead roads stopped years ago and the council now has no intention of completing these roads according to Robin Carlisle, MEC for public works and transport.

The completion of the roads network would cost the province at least R2,5-billion and he says that these funds are simply not available and anyway there is little point in improving the freeways when the public transport system remains inadequate.

He says that no new roads will be built for private cars and the only solution to Cape Town’s congestion – particularly in the central business district – is to get more people using public transport facilities and taking cars off the roads.

The original concept for the Eastern Boulevard was approved in the 1960s when an elevated freeway was to be built along the Foreshore as part of a ring-road surrounding the city. The project was halted in 1977 and the incomplete bridge has stood there since then.

In September last year, Andrew Borraine, chief executive of the Cape Town Partnership called for the incomplete section of highway to be demolished. He said that the area they occupied was a “barren urban wasteland” and represented a huge waste of space for the Foreshore area.

He says that the land could be used for a project such as the urban regeneration project, housing and other mixed-use projects that would provide the city with additional accommodation.
briker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #584
AdelsK

Likes (Received): 0

Koeberg Interchange was supposed to open in June... yeah right! They still have a long way to go, especially on the M5 portion leading up to it... i would guess at least another 3 months... lots of rainy days still to come and they can't work in the rain. any updates from the City?
AdelsK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #585
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelsK View Post
Koeberg Interchange was supposed to open in June... yeah right! They still have a long way to go, especially on the M5 portion leading up to it... i would guess at least another 3 months... lots of rainy days still to come and they can't work in the rain. any updates from the City?
The deadline was not June.

The first flyover deadline was June 2010. The second was November 2011, they are currently ahead of schedule on this.

The project then extends all the way into the M5, and includes future phases to accommodate BRT, so while the flyovers are vital, they are one portion of an R800 million project.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #586
Andrew_za

The M5 section yes, but the interchange itself is not far from complete. Amongst other things, they busy fitting lights and doing the road markings.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #587
Andrew_za

Flyover to open two years later

AFTER more than two years of frustration and navigating through one of Cape Town’s most congested arterials, motorists switching between the M5 and N1 can finally look forward to freer-flowing traffic from the middle of the month.

That’s when one of the lanes on the Koeberg interchange flyover or ramp B, which is designed to take motorists over the interchange and directly on to the N1, is set to open to traffic – if the weather plays along.

Leon Bester, the project engineer from HHO Africa, said that both lanes would be open to traffic by the end of the month “weather permitting”.

“We will start off with one lane in two weeks’ time, and then both lanes will be opened to traffic by the end of July,” said Bester. He said the new ramp would significantly cut travelling time from the M5 on to the N1 northbound.

“Motorists would then be able to go over the interchange and directly on to the N1 towards Century City and Bellville.”

The construction of Ramp A, which separated the link between the M5 and the N1 in a southerly direction, is complete. Also complete is the realignment of the Salt River canal.

Work on the R700m Koeberg interchange upgrade started more than two years ago, after being commissioned by then Transport and Public Works MEC Marius Fransman.

The project, to smooth one of the most problematic interchanges in the city, was the biggest roads project ever undertaken by the Western Cape provincial government.

For more than two years, motorists switching between the N1 and the M5 have had to be extra patient on the interchange. And while the contractual completion date is November, Bester said the entire project would be completed by September.

The Koeberg intersection was designed and built long before the drastic increase in traffic. A study on the N1 Corridor identified the need for several infrastructural improvements before last year‘s World Cup.

The City of Cape Town owns the Table Bay Boulevard section of the N1 between the city centre and Salt River, while the N1 from Salt River to the R300 falls under the provincial government.

The two spheres of government joined forces to upgrade the N1 from Table Bay Boulevard to the Koeberg interchange in 2008.

Phase 1 of the Koeberg interchange revamp – which included widening the N1, realigning the Salt River canal by 15m to the west of the M5, and completing the southbound ramp – was completed shortly before the World Cup.

The flyover, ramp A, was the first milestone. The revamp included the construction of linking ramps to allow a free flow of traffic between the N1 and the M5. The second phase, which includes the implementation of the N1 MyCiTi scheme, was ramp B, which will be opened this month.

The Table Bay Boulevard upgrade – which included the widening, from two to three lanes, of the southbound carriageway of the N1 through the Koeberg interchange – has also been completed.

An extra lane has also been added to the southbound carriageway of Table Bay Boulevard, between the Koeberg interchange and the Marine Drive interchange.
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #588
RYebreAD

Likes (Received): 3

What is the MyCiti scheme with regards to phase two? Which route is this?
RYebreAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #589
Mo Rush

Extension of route from Culemborg towards Koeberg Interchange, then divert south.

Check the maps for a general idea.

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #590
RYebreAD

Likes (Received): 3

Im looking at the map and google earth, where would this route divert to? There isnt any clear route travelling alongside the N1 except the Canal Walk route perhaps?
RYebreAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM   #591
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2201

What the hell is going on with the landscaping at Koeberg Interchange? They started, but appear to have given up halfway through. There's a couple of (now-overgrown) stone pathways that have been laid, some plants here and there, and piles of soil, but otherwise nothing. What a waste of money...
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:00 PM   #592
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 8

Noticed on my drive back from Betty's Bay this afternoon that the electronic signboards were indicating that the M5 to N1 outbound ramp at Koeberg is now open - can anyone confirm?
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:10 PM   #593
Mo Rush

Correct.

Old August 1st, 2011, 08:13 AM   #594
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 8

Tongue-in-cheek view on Koeberg Interchange...

-------

BMW driver proud to be last Koeberg lane cutter

As the new ramp from the M5 North onto the N1 North was opened this morning, with it ended an years-old tradition for many Capetonians – the opportunity to cut-in to the queuing traffic at Koeberg Interchange.

In a press release announcing the opening, a city spokeswoman stated:
The question, much posed in the local media and at parties, as to whether you would describe yourself as a “cutter” or a “queuer” is now no longer valid. The opening of this new ramp will end a great deal of animosity from those who queue, who have endured a great deal of ridicule from the cutting fraternity. This will reduce the negative energy during rush hour and make Cape Town an even nicer place to be: there’s also a wonderful view of Table Mountain from the new bridge.
Drivers will now be able to sail freely through this bottleneck and continue their journey towards Canal Walk and the Boerewors Curtain without delay. Motorists should stay left if they wish to join the N1 North, take the middle lane if they are heading for the city and choose the right lane for the M5 to Milnerton or just for old time’s sake.
The honour of being the final cutter was taken by Chantelle Wessels, a sales manager from Durbanville: a moment caught on the newly-installed Freeway Management System (FMS) cameras at the junction:

I are proud to be the one who is taking this honour. I think I can like to claim it not just for me, but for all the sales managers and aggressive type-A personality go-getters everywhere, and also for all BMW drivers – especially those with CY number plates.
We don’t have the time to hang around in these queues like sheep. We are needing to go out and make money in order to gaudily furnish our Tuscan-style mansions. Only this morning, I have sold 2 boxes of folded paper towels and some hand cleanser: that sale wouldn’t have happened until 4 minutes later if I hadn’t cut into the queue.

However, Lester Swart – a former queuer – says he will miss the people cutting into the N1-bound traffic:

Yes, I will miss it. It gave me a challenge on the way to work: defending my place in the queue. There’s a great degree of skill involved: it’s clutch control and passive aggressiveness together that goes into pretending to be unaware of a vehicle on your left hand side trying to slip into the line of cars in front of you and blocking it. I would always count it as a big success when I stopped them getting directly in front of me and forced them to join the line a few cars ahead instead.
Now that opportunity for satisfaction has gone. I will miss it, yes.

But overall, the response to the new ramp and bridge was positive. With the city promising that it would cut up to 8 minutes off journeys to the Northern suburbs, many commuters said that they would prefer to spend their up to 8 minutes extra time anywhere but Bellville and were looking forward to up to an extra 8 minutes in bed each morning.

Source
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM   #595
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 804

And I was one of the first across - I was at Century City before I knew it...

Diggerdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM   #596
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2201

It's so much quicker. It's actually amazing that it took this long for them to do it as it feels perfectly natural.
Old August 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM   #597
GetDownAdam
Nomadic Student

As a previous resident of Cape Town, I must say that I am going to miss the traffic problems. Cape Town is where I became a first-world driver and as the article suggests, my clutch control now is second to none. I'm going to have to try all these new roads out when I'm in CT later this week. Hope I don't get lost @ Hospital Bend
GetDownAdam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM   #598
Awesome.e

Likes (Received): 4

YOHH! I DROVE on the new ramp tonight!!! Its AMAZING hope they finish the section of the M5 soon enough so the traffic will be free flowing its really amazing love it!
Awesome.e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #599
carudden

I will probably never need to use the bridge Sunday I'll take a drive just to try it out.
carudden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #600
SA BOY
back in the real world

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetDownAdam View Post
As a previous resident of Cape Town, I must say that I am going to miss the traffic problems. Cape Town is where I became a first-world driver and as the article suggests, my clutch control now is second to none. I'm going to have to try all these new roads out when I'm in CT later this week. Hope I don't get lost @ Hospital Bend
bru the worst traffic I have ever been is has to be the daily grind from big bay to Milnerton, what a joke and as for that last bit leading to the N1, well what is there to say about that abortion of a bridge