daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM   #41
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

"One of my dreams is to travel the US coast to coast alone by car and visiting 48 states. There are a few problems, I think it is very expensive and somewhat unsafe to travel the US alone."

I've gone across country a few times. The most dangerous part of crossing the country is being in the car itself. Driving patterns and habits are varied and most people do not use turn signals. Reward yourself and do it. Don't be a pussy.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM   #42
BNE QLD

Likes (Received): 2

Based upon my readings and watching movies and internet pics etc (not in any particular order) i would say i would like to visit:

1) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for its many historical architecture etc.
2) Memphis, Tennesse - the old feel city life is good, not so crowded for my likings.
3) Los Angeles - (aka City of the Angles) bigger comparision but it is said to be a great city.
4) New York, New York - just the lively hood.
5) Portland, Oregon - the urban fabric and corridor planning

There are many other places too, more so towns rather than cities or regions.

Last edited by BNE QLD; June 23rd, 2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: more info
BNE QLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:31 PM   #43
Golan Trevize

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
"One of my dreams is to travel the US coast to coast alone by car and visiting 48 states. There are a few problems, I think it is very expensive and somewhat unsafe to travel the US alone."

I've gone across country a few times. The most dangerous part of crossing the country is being in the car itself. Driving patterns and habits are varied and most people do not use turn signals. Reward yourself and do it. Don't be a pussy.
How much does it cost to rent a car for a few weeks, gas, food and lodging? I've never been to the US.
Golan Trevize no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:45 PM   #44
philadweller

see next thread...oops.

Last edited by philadweller; June 25th, 2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM   #45
philadweller

Golan,
Driving from East to West is a very magical trek. I would fly into Boston and rent a car that can be dropped off in LA. The cost would range from 1000 to 1,500 not including gas. Right now our gas prices are around $4.00 a gallon.
Spend a little time in Boston.

If it's Summer hotels are cheaper since everyone flees to the Cape (you could land a room at the howard johnsons in the Fenway for less than 200bucks a night) or check out renting a dorm room for the night which is much cheaper at one of the cities numerous colleges. If you are gay find a local gay man willing to put you up. Mosey your way to NYC and repeat the steps from Boston.

There are some cheaper hotels in Midtown and the Village. the Chelsea Savoy and the Edison may have rooms for around 200 bucks. Then drive to Philly

stay at the Alexander Inn in Center City. Rooms are around 100 bucks. Then make your way through Baltimore

and DC

and see if you wanna pass through or stay.
Once you leave DC head straight to Pittsburgh,

from there go across Ohio, Indiana and into Illinois to see Chicago.

Chicago has hotels for all budgets. You may want to consider youth hostels as well. The US had quite a few and I've had some good experiences in them.
From Chicago head up to Milwaukee

and Madison

....then go to Minneapolis.

From Minneapolis head to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Spend the night. Then trek across 90 to the Badlands

and into The Black Hills.

This is where you can get really cheap motels or camp. I suggest camping but be careful of cougars. It is so beautiful here.
Then head west to The Devil's Tower

and keep going west untill you are in Yellowstone Park.

From Yellowstone head to the Grand Tetons

and Jackson Hole and then then back to Yellowstone for the night.

Hit a local saloon or 2.

From Yellowstone head to Glacier National Park.

From Glacier head west through Idaho and spend some time in Seattle.

Then go south to Portland.

From Portland head to the Oregon coast

and take that down to Big Sur

then the Redwoods in California.

Then hit San Francisco.

Leave San Francisco and drive along the PCH to Los Angeles.

I love this trip!!! Did it in 3 weeks and had the best time of my life.

Last edited by philadweller; June 25th, 2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #46
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
philadweller;21967151]"One of my dreams is to travel the US coast to coast alone by car and visiting 48 states. There are a few problems, I think it is very expensive and somewhat unsafe to travel the US alone."

I agree, driving coast to coast isn't dangerous at all I find. The most dangerous thing is if you are a careless driver or try to drive tired or at all drunk. If you do get off an a major city at what seems to be a wrong exit in a truly BAD neighborhood (they are actually pretty far and few between that are "scary") you don't need to panic but just turn around and get back on the highway. For 98% of the exits and areas you will travel through though there is no reason to feel alarmed. There are plenty of cheep eats along the highway system if you don't want to spend a lot of money.
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #47
Nacho_82
CTBA lover

Likes (Received): 4

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Las Vegas
5. Los Angeles, Miami, Boston
Nacho_82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #48
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1309

Wow philadweller thanks for that, thats a great guide and I am now strongly considering it!
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #49
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golan Trevize View Post
One of my dreams is to travel the US coast to coast alone by car and visiting 48 states. There are a few problems, I think it is very expensive and somewhat unsafe to travel the US alone.
Hmm, I've done something like this. I've visited 25/48 states while I was living in the US for 5 years. Really, there is nothing special. Some states look identical to one another. Don't waste your time. If you have that money, I would try traveling all the countries in Europe since every country has its own character.
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #50
philadweller

"Hmm, I've done something like this. I've visited 25/48 states while I was living in the US for 5 years. Really, there is nothing special. Some states look identical to one another. Don't waste your time. If you have that money, I would try traveling all the countries in Europe since every country has its own character."

I agree that Europe is the most alluring part of the world. However the US offers a lot of open space and people from Europe may like to see all the virgin land and imagine what its like to go to a country before its inhabited. I think every state has its own character. Some of the Midwest and the Plains are a little monotonous though. Which states did you find to be identical?

I do not understand how you could be living in Seoul, New York, Tokyo, San Jose and Managua unless you are a hustler with a passport. Where is your citizenship brianmoom85?
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #51
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmoon85 View Post
Hmm, I've done something like this. I've visited 25/48 states while I was living in the US for 5 years. Really, there is nothing special. Some states look identical to one another. Don't waste your time. If you have that money, I would try traveling all the countries in Europe since every country has its own character.

The American landscape and peoples are more varied than what you suggest here. Many States look the same when viewed from the Intersate highways, to be sure. But if you are willing to look beyond the retail and fastfood chains, there are quite distinct variations.

The American Southwest is worlds away from the Upper Midwest, for example. And the States bordering the Lower Mississippi Delta are as different from New England (or even the Southeastern Coast) as can be in terms of temperament, food, and landscape. Western Washington state is quite different from the Eastern portion. Northern and Southern Illinois are studies in contrasts. And two vastly different states as Alaska and Hawaii are also part of the US, to be sure.

To many of my European friends, the distances and scales here in the US boggle the mind. To drive across regions can be very tiresome. It can fool you into thinking that travelling the States is a waste of time.
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #52
rossie1977

Likes (Received): 7

as a european myself who has travelled from coast to coast in the USA, i hope i can be of assistance, i see various lists so here goes

imo you could choose either one of new york or chicago, very similiar cities in alot of ways, i like chicago for some reasons and new york for others.

LA is best avoided, hollywood is tacky and places like downtown though nowhere near as bad as say 10 years ago is still not tourist friendly, santa monica and universal studios are not enough reasons to visit LA if you can only choose 5 cities

without a shadow of a doubt both san francisco and las vegas should be on your agenda. San Francisco is beautiful city with loads of sites to see and vegas is just a fun town plane and simple and close to some of americas best national parks like grand canyon, death valley, bryce and zion

Seattle would be another great choice, again like vegas it offers so much natural beauty within easy driving distance

washington DC is nice but in 2 days you would see everything a tourist would ever need to see in DC, i did every major tourist site in less than 2 days

you would need at least a week+ to see orlando (and nearbys) themeparks

if i was offering advice i would say get out of the cities and see the real america, yosemite, yellowstone, the grand tetons, arches NP, monument valley, rocky mountain NP etc
rossie1977 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM   #53
philadweller

"LA is best avoided, hollywood is tacky and places like downtown though nowhere near as bad as say 10 years ago is still not tourist friendly, santa monica and universal studios are not enough reasons to visit LA if you can only choose 5 cities"

Call me nuts. I disagree. LA is an ever changing laboratory of innovation. If there ever was a city that is the ultimate product of US mass consumerism it would be LA. LA is a sociological wonder and I suggest that everyone sees it. Aside from LA being every bit as beautiful as San Francisco there is an energy about the place which is indescribable.
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #54
Sea Toby

Likes (Received): 1

The best way to see America is to ride Amtrak. Start from New York on the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago an overnight journey. Its not a bad idea when changing trains to spend the night, enjoy a real bed, and eat something besides train cafe fare. Then ride the Empire Builder to Seattle, its two overnights. Spend a night in Seattle, ride a ferry and dine out. The next morning ride the Coast Starlight to Los Angeles, its an overnight too. Spend a night, see the Chinese theater, dine out, and ride the Sunset Limited to New Orleans, its two overnights. Spend a night in New Orleans, visit the French Quarter, enjoy the Jazz, and ride the Crescent back to New York, I believe its two overnights.

In about two weeks, you'll see the midwest, the northern plains, the rocky mountains, the pacific coast, the desert southwest, Texas, the charm of the south, and the eastern atlantic states. You'll see cities such as New York, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Tucson, El Paso, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Washington DC, and Philadelphia. Not bad for one Amtrak ride around the USA.

You''ll understand corn, wheat, cattle, lumbering, vineyards, cactus jack country, oil fields and swamps, cotton, and soy beans. If you had more time, just about any city along the route would make a great stop to see more local areas in some bed and breakfastes, such as salmon fishing, strawberry crops, dude ranches, beaches, etc. One thing is for certain, you will be tired of the train.

Last edited by Sea Toby; September 9th, 2008 at 02:34 AM.
Sea Toby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #55
ChimeraTreviso

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
easy for me:

New York
Chicago
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Las Vegas

also great cities i think:

Miami
Atlanta
Boston

Idem for me....
ChimeraTreviso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #56
coexist

Without a doubt, if there's only one place in the US that you have to see, it's New York City. Make sure to spend a good amount of time here too - you really can't pack in everything in one or two, or even three days. Go to all the must-seesites, such as the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, etc., but also make sure to take in some of the stuff far too often overlooked by tourists. Go to Greenwich Village, explore Grand Central Terminal even if you have no need for a train, check out Downtown Brooklyn and Brooklyn Heights, take a walk in Central Park, go to some of the museums and Broadway plays (not that those are overlooked by tourists) - there is so much to this city to explore and to do.

Also, see Washington, D.C. Sites like the Capitol, the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, etc., may not have quite the meaning to foreigners that they do to Americans, but they truly are magnificent and representative of the values and ideals of this nation. All of these places are known worldwide and are synonymous with the US. Washington is a really beautiful city - it's quite European in many aspects, and there are tremendous museums (such as the Smithsonian), architecture, and important landmarks detailing the political and social history of the United States. There's also some really awesome neighborhoods that have nothing to do with politics, such as Connecticut Avenue, which has a ton of stores and, for some reason, I've always loved. Also, see Arlington National Cemetery across the Potomac River, where JFK is buried, and make sure to see some of the lesser-known memorials in the city, such as the recently completed World War II memorial (and get to the better known memorials such as the Jefferson Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial as well).

I'd highly recommend visiting Chicago as well. It sort of gives off a New York vibe, but it has a completely different atmosphere. If I had to live anywhere else in the nation besides NYC, I'd probably choose Chicago. Go to the Sears Tower, the John Hancock Tower, and get to Grant Park, which has a nice view of Lake Michigan. I'd recommend staying in the Lincoln Park neighborhood - I stayed there a few years back and it was a wonderful neighborhood, right on the North Side, and pretty convenient to both downtown and Wrigley Field (and it wasn't too expensive either). If you're into zoos, the Lincoln Park Zoo is free as well.

San Francisco is another must-see. I don't think there's a more colorful city on Earth - it's really an awesome experience all around. Of course, there's the Golden Gate Bridge and the cable cars, but there's a lot to do in SF. Haight and Ashbury is a must-see, given its significance, as is Alcatraz and Chinatown. Also, the Twin Peaks have a really nice view of the city. And if you're a liberal or are GLBT, you'll feel right at home here.

I'd say Boston is another must visit city. It's the most historic city in the US, and has so many historic sites (take the Freedom Trail for the easiest overview of the most historic sites). Also, see Boston Common, the oldest urban park in America, and Beacon Hill, as well as the North End and the Back Bay, which has a ton of great Victorian archistecture. Across the Charles River is Cambridge, which is home to Harvard University, that has a beautiful campus, as well as MIT.

Also, even if you don't care about baseball or have never seen a baseball game, if you go anytime between April and September, catch at baseball game at either Yankee Stadium in New York, Wrigley Field in Chicago, or Fenway Park in Boston. All 3 provide very different experiences, but all 3 give a quintessentially American experience that can really let you into the heart of this nation. It's akin to seeing a football game at Wembley or Maracana. If you want to see any of these three (if you're in NYC, Boston, or Chicago, you'd really be missing out by missing these ballparks), plan way ahead though, since tickets are extremely hard to get for all three (especially Fenway and Yankee).
coexist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #57
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

This is always my own opinion.

1) New York
2) San Francisco
3) Chicago
4) Boston
5) New Orleans

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #58
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17807

I think this thread is in the wrong section.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #59
yooik4890

I can't name just 5, These are all the great major American citiesIn no order)

New York
Boston
Philly
Washington D.C.
Chicago
Atlanta
Miami
New Orleans
San Antonio
Austin
San Diego
Los Angeles