daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #81
conquest
كسكس

Likes (Received): 2

seattle, portland, honolulu, atlanta, ?????
conquest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM   #82
Chitowner245

Likes (Received): 0

In no particular order:

NYC
Chicago
Boston
San Fran

Wild Cards:

Austin, Philly, DC
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM   #83
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1309

Ok I have decided in no paticular order of favourite.

-New York
-Boston
-Chicago
-San Fran
-LA

And if I ahve enough money then will also consider visiting
-Phili
-Miami
-Atlanta

But now that I have been looking more into it, Im now worried about my well being. I dont know if many of you know but I am from Birmingham the second largest city in the UK, so there is a lot of danger knife crime, gun crime etc.

If I visit these cities and eventually go to uni in one, I dont want to feel like I have to be looking round my shoulder every second, like I am expecting violence its a city, but out of the eight about which ones are the safest and non safest.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #84
Bubbybu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummyboy92 View Post
Ok I have decided in no paticular order of favourite.

-New York
-Boston
-Chicago
-San Fran
-LA

And if I ahve enough money then will also consider visiting
-Phili
-Miami
-Atlanta

But now that I have been looking more into it, Im now worried about my well being. I dont know if many of you know but I am from Birmingham the second largest city in the UK, so there is a lot of danger knife crime, gun crime etc.

If I visit these cities and eventually go to uni in one, I dont want to feel like I have to be looking round my shoulder every second, like I am expecting violence its a city, but out of the eight about which ones are the safest and non safest.

Have a good trip...having been to all of those cities I can say you probably have nothing to worry about in regards to safety...

If you have any Boston questions...feel free to ask
Bubbybu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #85
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

same with NY questions here. If you do choose New York City I recommend visiting the outter boroughs during your trip or at the very least one of them. If you need visual info on Manhattan there are some great tours by negasado, hkskyline,and myself.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:37 AM   #86
KevD
Member since Sept. 2004

Likes (Received): 6

These are the cities that I most desire to visit in the U.S. (I've never been to any of them yet).

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Boston
5. Los Angeles
... I guess. Or Las Vegas.
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #87
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Likes (Received): 9

NYC....global financial capital..
Washington DC....the nation's seat of power
Chicago.....the most "American" of big cities
San Francisco....Liberal America
Los Angeles.....Hollywood, car culture, the beaches

then Las Vegas as a bonus. No other city better represents the nation's lust for excess. Everything on the strip is over the top!
mongozx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #88
sycamoreslough

5 cities to visit!

richmond virginia (why not? love it here)
boulder colorado
memphis tennesee
herkimer new york (great mining)
badlands out west (not really a city but its remarkable!!)
sycamoreslough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #89
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

This is a tough question, I don't think 5 is enough. America is so big and with so many cities, it is very tough.

Here are my 5:

New York
Boston
Chicago
San Francisco
Denver

Extra:

Portland
Seattle
St. Louis
Tampa

Washington D.C. is nice, but aside from the malls and museum, the city is very dirty and very dangerous.

Philadelphia is a great city but being close to Boston and New York, both better cities in my mind, keep it off of the must list. Great history, good museums, but very dirty, high crime and a lot of homelessness.

Las Vegas, is nice and unique I guess, but it can get very old very fast, any trip longer than 3 days is too much for that city.

Miami is nice, but too Latin for someone hoping to get a taste of the American culture.

Atlanta, Houston, Dallas/Ft. Wort, Austin, Charlotte, etc all too spread out and not walkable at all. These cities don't have the charm of a Charleston or Savannah and don't truly represent the American south. They are generally light on history, museums ans culture when compared to Boston, NYC, Philly, San Fran etc.
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #90
Juan Pilgrim

Likes (Received): 116

~NEW YORK CITY
~SAN FRANCISCO
~WASHINGTON DC
~MIAMI
~CHICAGO

JP
Juan Pilgrim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #91
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
This is a tough question, I don't think 5 is enough. America is so big and with so many cities, it is very tough.

Here are my 5:

New York
Boston
Chicago
San Francisco
Denver

Extra:

Portland
Seattle
St. Louis
Tampa

Washington D.C. is nice, but aside from the malls and museum, the city is very dirty and very dangerous.
I know someone whos never been to DC. That or hasn't traveled any of it.That comment applies 100x more to St. Louis than DC. Of Course, Southeast isn't the good side of town, but away from the mall, its all dangerous or dirty? haha. Pathetic. Never heard of Georgetown, or Adams Morgan, or Columbia Heights, Mt. Vernon sqaure, Dupont Circle area, etc etc etc?
Quote:
Philadelphia is a great city but being close to Boston and New York, both better cities in my mind, keep it off of the must list. Great history, good museums, but very dirty, high crime and a lot of homelessness.
Very dirty? City center is, as well as a large portion of the city, very clean
Quote:
Miami is nice, but too Latin for someone hoping to get a taste of the American culture.
New York and San Francisco don't strike me as American (more like a mix)

Quote:
Atlanta, Houston, Dallas/Ft. Wort, Austin, Charlotte, etc all too spread out and not walkable at all. These cities don't have the charm of a Charleston or Savannah and don't truly represent the American south. They are generally light on history, museums ans culture when compared to Boston, NYC, Philly, San Fran etc.
Ft. Worth is defientnly walkable . Ft. Worth has a lot of Charm too
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #92
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

"Philadelphia is a great city but being close to Boston and New York, both better cities in my mind, keep it off of the must list. Great history, good museums, but very dirty, high crime and a lot of homelessness."

So does Paris. I think Philadelphia is more interesting than Boston and has much better theatre and restaurants and it is nearly twice the size. I moved from Boston to Philadelphia because I wanted to live in a bigger and more exciting city. Philadelphia is exactly that. It is an American icon and a must see. I am not from Philadelphia originally. I am from Queens, NYC. I am not biased just experienced when it comes to living in Northeastern cities.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #93
philadweller

"Philadelphia is a great city but being close to Boston and New York, both better cities in my mind, keep it off of the must list. Great history, good museums, but very dirty, high crime and a lot of homelessness."

So does Paris. I think Philadelphia is more interesting than Boston and has much better theatre and restaurants and it is nearly twice the size. I moved from Boston to Philadelphia because I wanted to live in a bigger and more exciting city. Philadelphia is exactly that. It is an American icon and a must see. I am not from Philadelphia originally. I am from Queens, NYC. I am not biased just experienced when it comes to living in Northeastern cities.
Old September 25th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #94
philadweller

Center City Philadelphia is as big as all of Boston proper and it is immaculate.
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #95
tangylackey

I'd say, Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.

If you have time, I'd definitely go Washington DC, mainly because of all the museums, eg. Smithsonian museums.
tangylackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #96
philadweller

Again why Boston and not Philadelphia? Both are a must see. What does Boston have that Philadelphia does not besides a better waterfront? This thread should be titled 5 must visit cities east and west of the Mississippi River.
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #97
MDguy

DC - if you have fast internet, click here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=708276
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #98
philadweller

"Extra:

Portland
Seattle
St. Louis
Tampa"

Tampa? What is so special about Tampa. I prefer St. Pete.
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #99
yooik4890

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
Again why Boston and not Philadelphia? Both are a must see. What does Boston have that Philadelphia does not besides a better waterfront? This thread should be titled 5 must visit cities east and west of the Mississippi River.
Why are so intent on pushing Philly instead of Boston? The truth is Boston, in my opinion, is a better city.
yooik4890 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #100
Bubbybu

lets put an end to this philly-boston stuff before it gets any further...

there is no need for people to involve other people's cities just because their own city is not listed...

not everyone listed Boston....I'm not gonna get all pissy towards those that included San Francisco but not my city...

these are just people's opinions...whether or not they are properly or ill-informed....if they are just making their list; let them make their list
Bubbybu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
tourism