daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #1
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4272

New Orleans: The French Quarter, part 1 (daytime)

The French Quarter, or Vieux Carre ("old square" in French), is the original townsite of La Nouvelle Orleans. The 6x11-block grid was laid out in around 1721 by Adrien de Pauger. The French Quarter and New Orleans remained French territory until 1762, when the Spanish gained control due to Louis XV ceding the land to his cousin, Carlos III of Spain. Most buildings in the French Quarter date back to Spanish colonial times, mainly because of fires in 1788 and 1794 that burned down almost all of the French architecture. The Spanish enforced a fire code that encouraged stucco, which resulted in the painting of stucco into pastel colors that are familiar today. The wrought iron and cast iron balconies and galleries complimented the pastel colors.

Restaurants on Chartres Street.

Businesses on Iberville Street at Chartres Street.

Businesses and apartments on Chartres Street.

Buildings at Bienville & Chartres Streets.

Buildings on Chartres Street.

An old house at Chartres & Conti Streets.

Buildings on Conti Street near Exchange Place.

Exchange Place, an old pedestrian street that used to be a marketplace. Exchange Place was named after the City Exchange, which was New Orleans' major auction market.

Buildings on Royal Street.

Bars on Bourbon Street.

An old house on Dauphine Street at Conti Street.

The Famous Door nightclub, on Conti Street at Bourbon Street. The jazz club was founded in 1935.

Bars and strip clubs on Bourbon Street.

Businesses on Bourbon Street.

Buildings on Toulouse Street.

Bars on Bourbon Street.

A bar at Bourbon & St. Peter Streets.

The Bourbon Orleans Hotel, on Bourbon Street at Orleans Street. The hotel used to be the site of the Salle D'Orleans, also known as the Quadroon Ballroom. The ballroom was where White men courted Quadroon women.

Looking up Orleans Street from Bourbon Street.

A building at Bourbon & St. Ann Streets.

Looking down St. Ann Street towards Royal Street, with the Bourbon Orleans Hotel on the right.

Looking down Orleans Street from Bourbon Street at the St. Louis Cathedral, the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans.

Looking west up Bourbon Street from St. Peter Street.

A restaurant on Bourbon Street.

Looking south down Bourbon Street towards Canal Street and the Hibernia Bank Building.

The Inn on Bourbon, a Ramada hotel. The site used to be the location of the French Opera House, built in 1859 when the French-speaking Creole population was beginning to decline. The current structure was built in the 1960s in the Vieux Carre Revival style.

Bars on Bourbon Street.

The former Bank of Louisiana building, on Conti Street across from the Civil Courts Building. The structure was built in 1826.

Buildings on Chartres Street.

Businesses on Chartres Street.

Businesses on Bourbon Street, including Galatoire's Restaurant. Galatoire's was started by Jean Galatoire in 1897. After purchasing Victor's restaurant from Victor Bero, patrons began calling the restaurant "Galatoire's", and the name became official in 1905.

Buildings on Bienville Avenue.

Businesses on Bourbon Street.

The Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street.

The Old Absinthe House, built in 1806, at Bourbon & Bienville Streets. The fanlight windows were once part of an entresol, a middle floor that was used in Spanish-colonial buildings as a storage space. The entresol was removed to provide a higher ceiling for the ground floor of Fat Catz, the bar that occupies the building.

Bars on Bourbon Street, with the Astor Crowne Plaza on Canal Street in the background.

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #2
MNiemann

Likes (Received): 79

love it! what a great city
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Sean in New Orleans

Likes (Received): 43

Nice shots. As someone who lives here, I can tell you it is a little difficult viewing these pics. Just as the North stays cold in the Winter, we stay hot in the Summer and we are getting deep into our Summertime heat and humidity when the temperature struggles to get below 80F at night. Don't get me wrong, I kinda like it and my house is a refrigerator all Summer long, but, seeing those Christmas pics with the low hanging clouds and people in jackets....well, it just makes me think about how it feels at that time of the year around here. But, you did get some nice French Quarter shots.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

Splendid city!

Awesome photos!

When I went to New Orleans, I only visited Bourbon Street and didn't get the chance to see other parts of downtown... I do remember there were some rough parts though...

Is there anything else to see downtown besides the French Quarter and Bourbon St?
Old June 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM   #5
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244676

Amazing shots
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM   #6
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Great shots, some lovely architecture there though te earlier shots do look as if they are showing British Georgian houses and facades. Those windows are characteristic of the Georgian period and can be found all over different British cities.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM   #7
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewville View Post
Splendid city!

Awesome photos!

When I went to New Orleans, I only visited Bourbon Street and didn't get the chance to see other parts of downtown... I do remember there were some rough parts though...

Is there anything else to see downtown besides the French Quarter and Bourbon St?
A lot of other places in New Orleans are very nice, from what I've seen in pictures. The Garden District is one such area. I did take pictures of Downtown and a little bit of the Warehouse District when I was down there. I think that thread is better than my French Quarter threads.

LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Mike View Post
Great shots, some lovely architecture there though te earlier shots do look as if they are showing British Georgian houses and facades. Those windows are characteristic of the Georgian period and can be found all over different British cities.
Those buildings on Chartres Street in the first 4 or 5 pictures are right on the edge of the French Quarter, near Canal Street. Canal Street was the big street that separated the American Quarter (now Downtown) from the French Quarter. New Orleans grew outward from Jackson Square towards other sections like Downtown and Marigny, and so those buildings were probably built later on than the French and Spanish control. They were most likely built some time when the U.S. had recently taken control.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:25 AM   #8
Parabellum
Fede

Likes (Received): 3958

Very nice city, the first time I see it.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:40 AM   #9
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

I love Jazz and Soul, and I love New Orleans with all my heart too!
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Somnifor
Paradise Island

Likes (Received): 3322

Nice pics. I like the old colonial architecture.
Somnifor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
french quarter, new orleans