daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #41
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

The tower tooks dog-ugly. I hope it doesnt get built.

I'd even prefer Tour Phare, than this
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #42
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Ah well. I'd say it looks very futuristic, and the concept is absolutely brilliant.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #43
no1gizmo
Skyscraper!

Likes (Received): 8

looks ugly, hope they will change the design.

ぼくの最初の日本语のサイン...
no1gizmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #44
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

I don't think you quite get the point of it. They can't change the design, because it is designed specifically to make the project have no carbon emissions
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #45
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

It looks wonderful and doesn't look like it's incomplete and lacking of cohesion as some other European towers this is being compared too. Absolutely 100 percent a tower that is at once a part of it's past and pointing to the future without making one want to vomit.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #46
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

I love it.
Take the old and propel it to the 21'st century.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #47
cmjohns6

Likes (Received): 7

cool tower, but it doesnt belong in london.
cmjohns6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #48
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post

These photos by DarJoLe show where the tower will appear on the skyline. You can see the old chimneys of the power station to the left of Big Ben. Clearly it will have a massive impact on the Houses of Parliament. I would give this project less than a 1% chance of being approved:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #49
cubix

Likes (Received): 0

Not a hope in hell..!
cubix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #50
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

As someone else pointed out in the UK forum, look at that pic Wjfox posted - you have the London Eye, the Hungerford Foot bridge, Milbank Tower and multiple residential buildings and yet, the Houses of Parliament doesn't suffer from being 'overshadowed' by one iota.

Lets wait and see what the planners have to say before making claims that the project won't go ahead. If it was turned down by either the local authority, or the mayor of London it certainly wouldn't look too good - they would be turning down an Uber Green project, that is offering to restore and protect a world famous Grade II listed building, that will regenerate a totally run down area close to central London, and is also promising a Northern Line extension.

Public opinion seems quite favourable on this one, even the media (bar one or two outlets) seems broadly supportive of it - that is all important for schemes like this.
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #51
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6363

It's no longer in use as a powerstation...
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #52
wazcaster
Sheffield Noob

Location: Longridge (Near Preston), UK, EU, Europe, Eurasia, World, Milky Way, Universe

I'm not sure about this one. I dont really like it, but it will probably grow on me. I just think the bits around the glass core look a little tacky, a bit like those horrible tower blocks in mediterranean tourist hotspots.
I dont think it would have a massive effect as it looks like about 100m of it is going to be nothing more than glass, so in reality the actual inhabitable building might only reach 200m. If that is the case, the effect on the views of the houses of parliament would be negligable.

Edit: In actual fact, if you look at the houses of parliament from the right angle, the tower would be obscured by either the clock tower or victoria tower.

Flikr PaperScrapers
wazcaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #53
citygeek

I'm not sure if it looks more like Marina City in Chicago or a bong.
citygeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #54
OMH

Likes (Received): 14

This looks like a very interesting and very futuristic project...i personally think that the design isn't bad at all, and the idea of creating such a green building that will be zero-carbon (if i understand it right, the building is planned to produce no greenhouse emissions ?) by re-developing a powerstation is also very interesting IMO.
It certainly will have a big impact on the skyline of London, but IMO this impact will be very positive, since its not too close to the historic center of London , and also because there aren't any other high buildings in the area (the Battersea power station is close to the proposed St. Georges Wharf Tower, am i right?) , so if this gets built it will certainly create a new landmark in the skyline of London and will have a very positive impact, IMO, especially with the new planned towers like St. Georges Wharf and Vauxhall cross and thus create a cluster in the west of London.
I'm not sure how high the chances for approval are for this project since I'm not an expert about London, but of what i heard , Boris Johnson isn't a big fan of skyscrapers, but obviously they're still 4 years until construction is supposed to start, so lets hope that it will get approved, because this is a great proposal IMO and a great way to re-develop the Battersea Powerstation.
OMH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #55
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

I am SO skeptical about this project. How many club, hotel, conference center, olympic swimming pool, concert hall and God knows what other projects have been imagined for Battersea?
It's been going on for yeeeeeeeears. And quite frankly, if all those talks lead to a semi visible glass tube... I just don't wanna say.
AND!!! Foster is not even involved! For a major London project! What the hell is going on here!?
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #56
delores

Likes (Received): 467

thankgod he isn't, foster has his fingers in too many pies at the moment and i'm glad this scheme was devised by someone else for once.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #57
(fabrizio)

Likes (Received): 3096

One day I read there's a sort of law prohibiting buildings to be made in such a way that Saint Paul's Cathedral is not visible from certain angles, eg Tower Bridge. Is it the same for the House of Parliament?

however, i judge this building interesting, but NOT there. I'd love to see it in the docklands, perhaps.
(fabrizio) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #58
St. Tim of Sussex
sweet world you survive!

Bettersea Clearly!

My dear friends this is so clearly wrong.. I took to my cell for hours not knowing how to calm the brothers.. it looks like an industrial tower on a hideous scale.. and to build it there.. oh no.

The quadrant was littered with hooded recluses, not able to eat their porridge.. this news was a shock to them when we discovered the project today.. all agree the old powerstation is an eyesore and should be flattened, it is a foul memory in need of wiping.

Yes to a low, domed eco-friendly bio-spere of epic priportions.. but the originator of the tower should be sent to Itchingfield Priest house !!

Must go and pray now!
Bless you all,
St. T
St. Tim of Sussex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #59
radiant_city
Bisy Backson

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Tim of Sussex View Post
My dear friends this is so clearly wrong.. I took to my cell for hours not knowing how to calm the brothers.. it looks like an industrial tower on a hideous scale.. and to build it there.. oh no.
I'll disagree that it looks hideous... I rather like the design. I just don't like the location.

I mean, I understand the need to develop, and I know that architecture didn't stop with Christopher Wren... but surely putting that building butt up against Battersea is at best jarring and at worst a cognitive dissonance of the highest magnitude?

The building as designed would be better suited in The City, although where you'd put it there is open to view, too.

My US$0.02.
radiant_city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #60
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

I have to be honest...I dnt like it! It looks waaaaayyyy too STRANGE! I think the height is perfect for the location...but the style is nnaaassty

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, project, redevelopment, skyscraper, tower, vinoly