daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > Angola > Projectos e Construção > Projectos de Luanda

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #21
Mwatangua

Likes (Received): 2

Just cant understand some people. they criticise everything. for me the project is great comparing to the old administration the portuguese left behind. Its five stars and thats for sure
Mwatangua no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #22
Abidrovia

Likes (Received): 13

The project looks very nice, it is impressive, but doesn't Angola have it's own architectural style that they can base this "Administration and Museum Complex" on? I mean, this is Africa not Europe.
Abidrovia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #23
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 888

Angola is not CAR or some other African bush republic it has countless old buildings and great architecture (many of which get restored), this is also part of their cityscape! so this building will fit in perfectly.
Matthias Offodile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #24
vcarmona
VCARMONA

Likes (Received): 0

I agree totally with Matthias. If you go to city province capitals like Huambo, Benguela, Lubango, Cabinda, Namibe, or even other small cities, you will see that these places have many old building that are being or were restored to its former glory. Angola for sure IS NOT AN AFRICAN BUSH REPUBLIC, although it has some bush politicians.
vcarmona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #25
Mwatangua

African arquitecture? do you mean like those huts we use to build before colonisation? coz the construction in africa resembles european cities coz they were the ones who built it. Modernisation is a european concept as far as i knw and if you wanna be developed you have to be modern
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #26
Abidrovia

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwatangua View Post
African arquitecture? do you mean like those huts we use to build before colonisation? coz the construction in africa resembles european cities coz they were the ones who built it. Modernisation is a european concept as far as i knw and if you wanna be developed you have to be modern
I'm just saying that Angola should incorporate some kind of African design elements into some of their government buildings. I'm not jsut saying they should make a huge hut or mud structure, etc.

For example;

They should just incorporate some African influences. For the sake of international individuality.

Last edited by Abidrovia; August 17th, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Abidrovia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #27
Carver02
Mister One Million

Likes (Received): 368

Yeah. Some building in Bamako do this very well.

The BCEAO building in Bamako:

Carver02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #28
Matthias Offodile

This IS Angola and not Burkina Faso!

Countries in Africa do differ
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #29
Kwame
Nkrabea Nni Kwatibea

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Who is "we"? Limit your self hatred to your own damn country.

While African architecture may be unimpressive to many, I love it. It's unique, colorful, and ever changing. There is a lot of room for new innovation and improvements to African architecture, we just need more Africans like myself who are interested in it. I have big plans for African architecture, just wait.

Some examples of traditional Asante architecture:

¡kycm tete a, cka ne mmeramu!!

There is no place like Afrika.

SSC Afrika: Algeria ¤ Angola ¤ Egypt ¤ Ethiopia ¤ Kenya ¤ Morocco ¤ Nigeria ¤ South Africa ¤ Sudan ¤ Tunisia
Kwame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #30
Matthias Offodile

Yaaaawwwnn,

We are living in 21th century, when we want to be modern, integrate local architecture with modern high—tech design like the “Tapeih 101”: traditional Chinese architecture with modern design!

Those flimsy huts cannot lodge government offices! The whole world would laugh at us!
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #31
Kwame
Nkrabea Nni Kwatibea

Likes (Received): 14

Matt, why do you just look at the pictures and ignore the text?

The above is just an example of certain elements of traditional African architecture you can combine with newer modern architecture to create an entire new look. Why are you so quick to belittle African architecture?

There is no place like Afrika.

SSC Afrika: Algeria ¤ Angola ¤ Egypt ¤ Ethiopia ¤ Kenya ¤ Morocco ¤ Nigeria ¤ South Africa ¤ Sudan ¤ Tunisia

Last edited by Kwame; August 17th, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
Kwame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #32
Matthias Offodile

Kwame, I simply like it big, modern and flashy! Tapeih 101 style
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #33
Matthias Offodile

Sun city also combines African traditional element but it is a great amsumenet centre: hotelm shopping, fun park! It is known the world over! That´s what I want more in Africa and not only South Africa, as always!

Why does everything modern nad flashy has to be confined to one single country, Kwame? Don´t you understand my frustration!
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #34
Tounsi
TUNISIAN MODERATOR

Likes (Received): 52

The Asante architecture is incredible We must be preserved & promote our heritage it s just a part of our African identity . I believe we should as Africans find our own path combine modern high tech construction techniques with our unique architectures ...

Thanks Kwame for the info ! Go Africa !
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #35
Tounsi
TUNISIAN MODERATOR

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Offodile View Post
This IS Angola and not Burkina Faso!

Countries in Africa do differ
that s exactly why Angolans should include their traditional architecture in their official buildings it s just common sense to express it s identity as a nation !

Another example : The City Hall of Tunis :

Old August 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #36
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 2587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tounsi View Post
that s exactly why Angolans should include their traditional architecture in their official buildings it s just common sense to express it s identity as a nation !

Another example : The City Hall of Tunis :

This is a beauty. we call this kind in Congo Tradmodern.
BUTEMBO21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #37
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
I agree totally with Matthias. If you go to city province capitals like Huambo, Benguela, Lubango, Cabinda, Namibe, or even other small cities, you will see that these places have many old building that are being or were restored to its former glory. Angola for sure IS NOT AN AFRICAN BUSH REPUBLIC, although it has some bush politicians.
Thanks, man!
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #38
Mwatangua

KWAME WATCH YOUR FOUL MOUTH OK! WHAT WAS AFRICA BEFORE THE COLONIAL POWERS CAME HERE? WHAT KIND OF BUILDINGS DID WE HAVE? THAT IS WHAT I MEANT OK! WE TALKING ABOUT A GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION DO YOU WANT IT TO BE LIKE THESE HUTS YOU POSTED? AND DO NOT SPEAK BAD BOUT ANGOLA COZ THIS IS ANGOLAN FORUM IF YOU DONT LIKE ANGOLA PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BOUNCE! I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND I KNOW ANGOLA WILL BE ONE OF THE BEST COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD IF WE CONTINUE TO BUILD LIKE WE DOING
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #39
Carver02
Mister One Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Offodile View Post
Sun city also combines African traditional element but it is a great amsumenet centre: hotelm shopping, fun park! It is known the world over! That´s what I want more in Africa and not only South Africa, as always!

Why does everything modern nad flashy has to be confined to one single country, Kwame? Don´t you understand my frustration!
Quote:
KWAME WATCH YOUR FOUL MOUTH OK! WHAT WAS AFRICA BEFORE THE COLONIAL POWERS CAME HERE? WHAT KIND OF BUILDINGS DID WE HAVE? THAT IS WHAT I MEANT OK! WE TALKING ABOUT A GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION DO YOU WANT IT TO BE LIKE THESE HUTS YOU POSTED? AND DO NOT SPEAK BAD BOUT ANGOLA COZ THIS IS ANGOLAN FORUM IF YOU DONT LIKE ANGOLA PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BOUNCE! I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND I KNOW ANGOLA WILL BE ONE OF THE BEST COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD IF WE CONTINUE TO BUILD LIKE WE DOING
The idea is to take design elements from traditional African architecture and incorporate those into modern structures. The idea is not to simply build huts. Does the BCEAO building I posted look like a hut?

We need to imagine, and create, new African urban environments that evoke the spirit, culture, energy, and heart of African countries. Trying to reproduce Rome in Angola (which the design in the first post tries to do) is uncreative, sad, and foolish.

We don't need to choose between:
modern OR African
flashy OR African

We need to find ways of making African architecture modern and flashy.

People like these Angolan policy-makers need to think harder about what they are doing, what they are building, and what legacy they will leave for the next generation.

For those who are serious about architecture in Africa, that is the challenge.
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #40
Carver02
Mister One Million

For instace, there are many traditional Malay design elements included in the Petronas Towers. Behold modern, flashy, Malay architecture:

Tags
angola, luanda