SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Lowry Park Zoo and Tower Park

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tampasteve 
#1 ·

1. Wouldn't it be great for Lowry Park Zoo to expand all the way to the river. This require part of Boulevard to be closed. I don't think it would cause major problems because of the many alternate routes. The seems to be busting at the seams as is.

2. Wouldn't it be great if the Tower Park off Bird and Florida we're turned into a Botanical and/or Formal Garden as once proposed.

3. The Kmart plaza across from the Tower Park would be prime for redevelopement.

I know this is wishful and probably unlikely, but the potential for something interesting and unique is there. I can picture people seeing part of Tampa by boat. From the Aquarium or other downtown points of interest they could voyage upstream to the Zoo and Gardens. In addition these developments could help transform this whole somewhat blighted area.

See less See more
#2 ·
I dont agree w/ #1, there is a public park on the river across from the zoo off N. Blvd, it is free.

The city could easily remedy #2 by allowing some of the local gardening societies to come in and plant and take care of the park. I'm sure one or two of them would be happy to do it.

#4 ·
the zoo has plenty of room to expand into the former fairy land site still. Both ideas are good though. There was a plan in the past to make river park a botanical garden, but it fell through.

Steve

#5 ·
As someone who actually drives around Tampa, the idea of cutting Boulevard there seems absolutely idiotic. . . it would make a difference.

#8 ·
I agree with expanding the Zoo towards the river.. There is the hillsborough river with lots of potential to add another dimension to the Zoo. As mentioned earlier the further development would increase interest in renovating the blighted area.. Adding new access via waterway would be great and add to the water taxi idea being tossed around and create additional possibilities to tie -in the area together i think..That Zoo could help tie in busch garden/advnt island/ greyhound tracks alot better altogther..

#9 ·
I think someone had started a water taxi a decade or so ago, but of course there was little interest. Maybe now is the time to start up again. Pick people up at sulphur springs water tower park and it is a straight shot downtown.

#11 ·
There was a service with a link from DT/Channelside up to Lowry Park, the hope was to expand it to link to the botanical garden at what is now River Tower Park, though that fell through.

As for LPZ expansion plans, there are not any plans to expand in the current area (except for some minor changes), at least that I am aware of. BUT there are plans to eventually open an off site animal park, similar to the San Diego Wild Animal Park. In the immediate future there will be an animal exchange type of agreement with the new Safari Wild in Polk County that is due to open next year.

Steve

#12 ·
Also, they could expand (if they wanted to) into what was for a while the "Outback Safari". That is the bit of land that borders Boulevard and Kirby. I am not sure what it is being used for right now, but it is at least several acres.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.