daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20276

Donostia/San Sebastian - Basque elegance and beaches

Hi there fellow SSCers. This is the latest of a few photo threads from my recent travels to France and Spain, click the links in my signature to see the others, thanks, hope you enjoy them!

The city of San Sebastian (Donostia in Basque) is a very elegant coastal resort on the Northern Spanish coast, the first major city you reach after crossing the border with France. It was very fashionable at the beginning of the 20th century and retains a lot of architecture from that period along the beachfront promenade in addition to a well preserved old city around the harbour. There are several beaches, one of which lies in a crescent shaped bay with an island at the mouth of the bay, very picturesque

It's also one of the richest cities in Spain, I read somewhere that property prices are higher only in Madrid and Barcelona.

The old town

Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Sky_Line

Likes (Received): 8

Thank you for your photos they are very beautiful besides, San Sebastian is a beautiful city , Have you took more photos?
Sky_Line no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Thanks, yes San Sebastian is a very attractive city. I don't have any more of San Sebastian but I have others of Northern Spain, click the links in my signature.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Federicoft

Likes (Received): 4377

This is telepathy. Just watched a documentary on TV about the Basque coast and decided to check it out on SSC.

Excellent pics indeed. Northern Spain is so underrated, pretty much as the North of most European countries. Now I'll take a look at the rest of your photo sets.
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Really good shots, mate!

It's annoying when some places have breathtaking locations which are finally ruined by bad-planned urbanism.

San Sebastian is lucky to have a stunning scenary and they have been able to add some very good architecture to it. A true jewel and a top-3 Spanish town IMO.

Thank you so much.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM   #6
weird
vagamundo

Some people say that San Sebastián is the prettiest city of Spain. And yes Jonesy, is true, is the third most expensive city in Spain. Even, you can find there most expensive flats that in Madrid, due to their small terrain
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Very ncie pictures Jonessy, at least the weather was much nicer there than in Bilbao! It looks like a lovely city, I especially love the look of the Old Town with the narrow streets and flower baskets.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM   #8
neorion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Luv this city!!
neorion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 69

It looks beautiful! My sister is currently on a 10 day vacation in France, however she'll be crossing the border and spending a day or two here in San Sebastian sometime this week. I'm very jealous. Thanks for the photos!
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM   #10
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59301

Great show mate, really enjoyed your lil' tour

I've been to the Northern Spain coast some years ago, it's marvellous. Santander is a great town as well (Magdalena Island!) and you may spot some stunning landscape there. But I don't think it's that underrated. It definetly gets enough attention by tourists - I don't like too overcrowded (meaning 'overrated' ) places anyway.

By the by, let me show you an underrated place: Usedom Island, North-Eastern Germany!

Though it gained a lot of tourists and leaps ahead like nothing else lately (+ 48% accommodations in 1st quarter 2008). So perhaps we can call it an 'overrated' place soon as well... But to be honest, this fine piece of my homelands can't be overrated

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM   #11
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Thanks, yes San-Sebastian is a gem, why go to Benidorm when there is somewhere like this that also has a great beach

@ Erbsenzaehler, i'll check out your Usedom thread, although I may have to charge you for using my thread to advertise your own
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM   #12
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59301

I know, I'm such a plug ***** Sorry, but I just had to seize that opportunity.
You may flood all my photo threads with advertisements now! I'm cap in hand.

Thanks for replying to my Usedom thread anyway

Since you mention it: Benidorm is utter crap. I've been just some hours down there and got sick. It's ugly, dirty, overcrowded, tacky and... not European in some way.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; June 23rd, 2008 at 07:38 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #13
lordcreso

Likes (Received): 974

The diferences between North Spain and the South/East (i.e. Benidorm) is basically the weather. The southern climate is dry and hot while the northern climate is not very hot and the humidity is higher, and it rains a lot
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #14
samba_man
1 ...2....3...

Likes (Received): 19947

One of the most beaultiful cities of Spain!
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #15
LS Kim
Non Dvcor Dvco

Likes (Received): 409

LS Kim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #16
Avientu

Likes (Received): 39

The thing is the Spanish Atlantic Coast is not well known among foreign tourists because of the weather. No wonder they all flood to the mediterranean coasts for the sun, because what you get in the north is basically what you already have in England, so whats the point?

Just as an example, temperatures for today in Oviedo (Asturias), max. 20ºC min. 15ºC

Avientu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #17
Jonesy55
Mooderator

I guess that must be the reason but many people don't just go on holiday for the weather or nobody would ever go to Norway or Scotland

In any case, the weather in Northern Spain is still pretty good even if it does rain sometimes, I would prefer 25C in San Sebastian to 40C in Seville or Madrid during August..
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #18
Avientu

Likes (Received): 39

Yes, but Spain is so strongly marketed to sun & costas that these areas are mostly ignored by tour operators. Only if you are looking for something else in Spain they might come up with some holiday in Castilla, the Atlantic Coast, La Rioja, etc. They are much more culture oriented as well and would not suit somebody looking for a cheap holiday on the beach.
Summers in the north can be quite crap sometimes, and most people from Northern Europe travel south looking for nice and warm weather.

Last edited by Avientu; June 25th, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
Avientu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #19
zazo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 132

Yeah!, and that's our big problem, because tourist think Spain is sun, hot, beaches, flamenco etc.. and they're talking about the coast!!, except flamenco, only in southern, so....Talk about where u have been, not about the whole country.

Pd; Flamenco is not the national spanish dancing, only in southern Andalucia, just some of them can dance it, the rest of the country has no connetion with that, (this is an example of the sterotypes)
zazo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #20
Ricbit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Awesome city...

I prefer Northern Spain, Valencia and Castillas than Andalucia... Andalucia is the worst principality of Spain, in my opinion. I don't like it, it seems so ugly... But have beautiful cities, such as Malaga and Seville, too...

Even though, Spain is the best country of the world.

Last edited by Ricbit; July 29th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Ricbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
spain in the world