daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20288

Bilbao - Basque beauty

Hi there fellow SSCers. This thread is part of a set from my recent travels to France and Spain, click the links in my signature to see the others, thanks, hope you enjoy them!

Bilbao is nestled into a valley of the river Nervión and its suburbs extend along that river to the sea 15km downstream from the city centre. It is the largest basque city and has a mixture of industrial areas, a medieval old town and modern riverside developments including the famous Guggenheim museum.

In common with many Spanish cities, it is very dense. The vast majority of people seem to live in apartment buildings even outside the city centre. The day I visited (May 31st) started off with good weather but around mid-afternoon the torrential rain started and did not stop for the next 24 hours, unfortunately this means that I didn't get to take photos of large parts of the city centre as I was too busy trying to stay dry!

Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

What a lovely city! That's an interesting spider structure outside the Guggenheim museum too.
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8809

Spain is really becoming an amazing nation, it just keeps improving! Great stuff to see another amazing city from there.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Alibaba

Likes (Received): 6

The tram looks so modern and i remembered this city from James Bond movie... The World is Not Enough
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

The most stunning thing about Bilbao is that it was considered one of the ugliest cities in Spain (if not the ugliest) 15-20 years ago.

They have been able to change their economy and urbanism to become a really appealing place to live and visit. I still remember when Guggenheim area was full of containers. It is an example for many cities in the world.

Great pics Jonesy!
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Yes, you can still sense that Bilbao has a rough edge to it that places like San Sebastian don't have but it is really developing well and the modern buildings complement the older quarter and the industrial architecture.

It reminded me of Manchester, in many ways they are similar.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM   #7
weird
vagamundo

Cool pics, thanks for sharing
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM   #8
neorion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Nice pics of an interesting city. The 'real' Basque beauty (for me at least) is the belle epoque city of San Sebastian/Donostia, one of my fav cities in Europe.
neorion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM   #9
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

The modern architecture in Bilbao is very nice (the bridge, those two towers and the museum of course).
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM   #10
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

It really is an interesting and beautiful city. Gora Bilbo!!
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM   #11
Jonesy55
Mooderator

San-Seb is probably more beautiful for most people but Bilbao is a cool city too, these photos omit a large part of the city over the river from the old quarter which also has some attractive areas.

The old town in Bilbao seems a little bit downmarket compared to old towns in other Spanish cities, lots of shops selling tat at €1, cheap restaurants and some buildings that are empty or not in such good condition. The newer part of the city over the river seemed to me to have better retail and the classier restaurants.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Stifler
That's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
The old town in Bilbao seems a little bit downmarket compared to old towns in other Spanish cities, lots of shops selling tat at €1, cheap restaurants and some buildings that are empty or not in such good condition. The newer part of the city over the river seemed to me to have better retail and the classier restaurants.
I guess it's pretty usual in post-industrial cities in Spain.

When heavy industry arrived, factories where located in the surroundings of the city and big new neighbourhoods were built next to them to host the thousands of inmigrants coming. As a result, the daily life os most of the citizens was too far from the old town and it became more and more unkept.

Now they try to have it in a better condition, and I found it quite improved the last time I was there. In the past some places looked a bit scary (extremely dark and full of pro-terrorism paintings), but now I had a ptretty nice time there, especially clubbing.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #13
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Yes, you can see that the area is improving.

One thing that I noticed about Spanish towns and cities, especially in Pais Vasco but also in other regions is the amount of political grafitti everywhere. Here, most graffiti is dumb tagging or football related but in Spain you can see things like 'PP = Facistas', 'PSOE = Seperatistas' etc everywhere as well as the ubiquitous 'Euskal presoak Euskal herrira' in the Basque country.

I saw a massive 'Boicot Catalunya' in a small mountain village in Asturias and such poetic gems as 'no hay noche sin dia ni libertad sin ETA' in campsite toilets :rolleyes:
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #14
Stifler
That's what she said

Yeah, I think graffiti is an unresolved issue. Towns have been able to be clean for European standards but shitty grafitti (mainly tags or political messages) is way too common. Here if you want to erase one of that paintings you just have to paint a new message involving the Mayor and soon it will be cleaned.

I guess the reason for those paintings is that politics are unfortunately too present in our daily life and the situation is even more notorious in the Basque Country for obvious reasons.

Quote:
I saw a massive 'Boicot Catalunya' in a small mountain village in Asturias and such poetic gems as 'no hay noche sin dia ni libertad sin ETA' in campsite toilets
Some time ago right-wing extremists proposed to boicot Catalan products during Christmas and buy Asturian cider instead of Catalan cava (which is a kind of cheaper replacement). Maybe that village had some commercial interest on it, but the most likely is that they were morons with too much spare time.
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #15
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Wow. Bilbao has modern and historic buildings together looks real nice
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #16
madridhere

Likes (Received): 110

Bilbao has made a wonderful effort to improve. One of the cities that has changed more in Spain.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea can´t be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut être absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #17
Ricbit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Wonderful city. Spain is really GORGEOUS!
Ricbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
spain in the world