daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #61
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

Photos of the aquatic centre construction (As of March 2, 2013):

Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #62
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 1508

I along with many other Windsorites do not approve of this particular project.
For many reasons.
Windsor is a terrible functioning city, and we need help in more ways than one.
Our Mayor is corrupt and city council is very wasteful.
This aquatic centre is a massive amount of money and it is expected it will not have the crowds turn out for it at all.
Our downtown is nothing compared to what it used to be, but it is SLOWLY coming around... Only time will tell.
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #63
North 42

Likes (Received): 1

^
Are you serious? We have the best mayor in decades, he has done more for this city than any other mayor in history. The city has never been run better or been in better shape, despite being almost destroyed by the recession. You and others always try to make the mayor look crooked, but your pathetic attempts have all failed because they are not true. Say what you want, but I, as well as the majority of voters will keep voting him in, and that's all that matters. How about some proof of this so called corruption? You all scream how corrupt he is, but never have any proof ever, so pathetic!

As for the aquatics centre, I can't wait for it to open. Finally there is something for families to do in this city with it's indoor water park. Citizens have been begging for this kind of attraction for decades, and our mayor is the only one to actually listen and get it done.

Windsor has a bright future solely because of our maor and all the changes he has implemented in the last couple of terms. You should be thankful for all his hard work he has done to save this city, not slander him with your false accusations. Sorry, but I can't let false accusations against our mayor to be put out there without a rebuttal and a demand to see real proof to back up your attacks.
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #64
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
^
Are you serious? We have the best mayor in decades, he has done more for this city than any other mayor in history. The city has never been run better or been in better shape, despite being almost destroyed by the recession. You and others always try to make the mayor look crooked, but your pathetic attempts have all failed because they are not true. Say what you want, but I, as well as the majority of voters will keep voting him in, and that's all that matters. How about some proof of this so called corruption? You all scream how corrupt he is, but never have any proof ever, so pathetic!

As for the aquatics centre, I can't wait for it to open. Finally there is something for families to do in this city with it's indoor water park. Citizens have been begging for this kind of attraction for decades, and our mayor is the only one to actually listen and get it done.

Windsor has a bright future solely because of our maor and all the changes he has implemented in the last couple of terms. You should be thankful for all his hard work he has done to save this city, not slander him with your false accusations. Sorry, but I can't let false accusations against our mayor to be put out there without a rebuttal and a demand to see real proof to back up your attacks.
You're out of your mind.
He will not be voted in again. The majority did have high hopes for him, and I voted for him too, but after years of corruption ('proof' cannot be placed on the internet especially in my line of work) he has lost the faith of the majority.

I don't know what your age group is, so maybe you see progress differently.
He along with city council continue to make RIDICULOUS decisions involving our city... it's in the news right now (tearing down a registered historic house on Ouellette). They are voting to say yes or no into making it a PARKING LOT for a doctor's office.
This has constantly happened throughout Francis' tenure, and has happened with many mayors and councils before him.

This aquatic centre will attract a few people at first, but it is NOT the answer we need for our city. Remember all Eddie's plans for downtown?
Did the major projects turn out? No.

Grace hospital site?

Historic properties downtown bulldozed for banks?

Trips around the world with my money to lure business?

The dictatorship way of dealing with issues?

You wouldn't believe what Eddie and his council are linked to in this city.

It's DISGUSTING.

But you are right, he has done a lot... 80% bad 20% good.
Harris before him might have been pokey, but I'd rather nothing happen than this.

Francis was better the first time around. I will admit.

Not anymore.
Windsor used to be great. It can be great again.

P.S. view all comments in the Windsor Star online... you'll notice 90%+ of the local populace is SUPER angry with our mayor and council. I hope you are not blind to truth.

Last edited by Oaronuviss; March 28th, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Oaronuviss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #65
North 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaronuviss View Post
You're out of your mind.
He will not be voted in again. The majority did have high hopes for him, and I voted for him too, but after years of corruption ('proof' cannot be placed on the internet especially in my line of work) he has lost the faith of the majority.

I don't know what your age group is, so maybe you see progress differently.
He along with city council continue to make RIDICULOUS decisions involving our city... it's in the news right now (tearing down a registered historic house on Ouellette). They are voting to say yes or no into making it a PARKING LOT for a doctor's office.
This has constantly happened throughout Francis' tenure, and has happened with many mayors and councils before him.

This aquatic centre will attract a few people at first, but it is NOT the answer we need for our city. Remember all Eddie's plans for downtown?
Did the major projects turn out? No.

Grace hospital site?

Historic properties downtown bulldozed for banks?

Trips around the world with my money to lure business?

The dictatorship way of dealing with issues?

You wouldn't believe what Eddie and his council are linked to in this city.

It's DISGUSTING.

But you are right, he has done a lot... 80% bad 20% good.
Harris before him might have been pokey, but I'd rather nothing happen than this.

Francis was better the first time around. I will admit.

Not anymore.
Windsor used to be great. It can be great again.

P.S. view all comments in the Windsor Star online... you'll notice 90%+ of the local populace is SUPER angry with our mayor and council. I hope you are not blind to truth.
What about the Grace hospital site? The city had absolutely nothing to do with that till they bought it recently to make sure it comes down, just like everybody wanted.

The comment section in the Windsor Star is filled with Windsor Square losers trying to slander the mayor, it's a ******* joke! Give me a break. It is basically hijacked by Eddie haters who spew the same shit and can't back up one accusation.

As for the aquatic centre, so windsor should be the only city in the whole country of its size without an Olympic sized pool? London has 3! Try defending that one. That alone is reason to build one, the water park could stand on its own as it is much needed in this city.

Eddie wasn't even mayor when the city had the Norwich block demolished for the Chrysler Canada headquarters, and what bank are you talking about that's been bulldozed?

You people bitch about the mayor not doing enough to bring jobs to the city, then complain when he actively travels to bring in investment. Pathetic!

I'm 47, and confident that he will get voted back into office, should he choose to run again. Windsor would be totally ****ed if it wasn't for all the changes he has implemented over the years! Every election you haters all say he will lose, then the majority of voters vote to keep him in, and you all look like fools.

Here's a little list of his accomplishments that I can think of at the moment

- Built an amazing arena for the Spitfires and entertainment, city had tried for 3 decades, but failed until Eddie got it done, and the location is absolutely fine.
- arranged to have the College create a downtown ampus
- arranged to have the University to build a downtown campus
- no tax increases in 6 of 8 years, with the two years having very minimal increases
- instituted pay as you go, instead of borrowing for projects
- increased reserves
- decreased city debt load
- beautified major routes into the city
- spent more money than ever on city infrastructure
- fought for a better border feeder route and won the new Parkway instead of an extra lane on EC Row cutting through the city.
- ended the control of city council by the ever bloated unions.
- brought in world class events like Red Bull Air Races and FINA World swimming championships
- continued investment and beautification of our waterfront parks
- went to bat for the city against Matty Maroun and won!

There's much more as well that I can't think of right now.

Windsor only has a future now because the mayor saved it from self implosion due to lazy, and incompetent past mayors and councils.

And please, please, pease enlighten me as to what exactly the mayor and council are involved with in this city that you are so angry about, I would love to hear what you have to say, as long as you can back it up with real facts, not shit you read in The Windsor Square.
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #66
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Quote:
What about the Grace hospital site? The city had absolutely nothing to do with that till they bought it recently to make sure it comes down, just like everybody wanted.

The comment section in the Windsor Star is filled with Windsor Square losers trying to slander the mayor, it's a ******* joke! Give me a break. It is basically hijacked by Eddie haters who spew the same shit and can't back up one accusation.

As for the aquatic centre, so windsor should be the only city in the whole country of its size without an Olympic sized pool? London has 3! Try defending that one. That alone is reason to build one, the water park could stand on its own as it is much needed in this city.

Eddie wasn't even mayor when the city had the Norwich block demolished for the Chrysler Canada headquarters, and what bank are you talking about that's been bulldozed?

You people bitch about the mayor not doing enough to bring jobs to the city, then complain when he actively travels to bring in investment. Pathetic!

I'm 47, and confident that he will get voted back into office, should he choose to run again. Windsor would be totally ****ed if it wasn't for all the changes he has implemented over the years! Every election you haters all say he will lose, then the majority of voters vote to keep him in, and you all look like fools.

Here's a little list of his accomplishments that I can think of at the moment

- Built an amazing arena for the Spitfires and entertainment, city had tried for 3 decades, but failed until Eddie got it done, and the location is absolutely fine.
- arranged to have the College create a downtown ampus
- arranged to have the University to build a downtown campus
- no tax increases in 6 of 8 years, with the two years having very minimal increases
- instituted pay as you go, instead of borrowing for projects
- increased reserves
- decreased city debt load
- beautified major routes into the city
- fought for a better border feeder route and won the new Parkway instead of an extra lane on EC Row cutting through the city.
- ended the control of city council by the ever bloated unions.
- brought in world class events like Red Bull Air Races and FINA World swimming championships
- continued investment and beautification of our waterfront parks
- went to bat for the city against Matty Maroun and won!

There's much more as well that I can't think of right now.

Windsor only has a future now because the mayor saved it from self implosion due to lazy, and incompetent past mayors and councils.

And please, please, pease enlighten me as to what exactly the mayor and council are involved with in this city that you are so angry about, I would love to hear what you have to say, as long as you can back it up with real facts, not shit you read in The Windsor Square.
The Windsor Star is one example. You can find the hatred everywhere.
The Aquatic Centre will host a few west side kids during the week, and maybe some events on certain weekends. It's not going to work out as well as you think it will. We don't have the interest here.

I'm not talking about the Norwich Block. (although that was disgusting as well, and like I previously stated, other mayors and councils have destroyed our city). I'm talking about the new TD downtown. Another result of TERRIBLE city planning.

You support Francis traveling the world to entice investors that could care less? You think that should be the Mayor's job? Weird.

I'm surprised you're 47, I thought you might have a little more respect for our city's history and architecture that has been lost. I'm 28, and my generation could probably care less.

The lovely things you say he brought to our city are all well and good... I would have expected that from any mayor... (if he had the city in his real interests).
Eddie Francis does care about Windsor, I can see that.

The things you want to know would land me in jail. Honestly. Unless I knew you personally, I cannot spread over the internet. And yes, you would be shocked. None the less, he could be worse.

Don't label me with the low Eddie haters, who hate him for no reason.
I don't HATE him, I dislike the mismanagement of our city that you so strongly think is amazing.
I'm more angry with COUNCIL than him.
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #67
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Quote:

-WFCU centre was built on land Francis' family owns. (although I agree it is awesome, and I enjoy it very much)
-There's been no tax increases because we are getting hit HARD with our Goddamn Enwin bills. CITY owned. Why has the Mayor blocked so many audits? Now that one is FINALLY going through, we may see what's up.
-City infrastructure was a Provincial money allotment. Not city.

missed those points.

Last edited by Oaronuviss; March 28th, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
Oaronuviss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #68
North 42

Sorry to group you in with those crazy Eddie haters, you just sounded like one of them to me.
The aquatic centre will be a huge success as it it sorely needed, by both swimmers and families desperate for something to do in this city.
As for what you know about Eddie, hopefully it's not just hearsay, because that really doesn't count as real, you need definite proof for that.
And I can't fault the mayor for trying to change windsor's dismal reputation by trying to bring in investments from abroad, cities everywhere are trying to do the same. Desperate times call for desperate measures, the the days of sitting back and having new plants employing thousands of workers are gone forever in this city.
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #69
North 42

You can't audit everything just because a bunch of people with a hate mission want one, it would never end. All the audits that have been done so far have cleared the city of any wrong doing.

And eddies family didn't own that land, it was owned by Farhi, no relation. See, you believed one of the lies that was put out there to slander the mayor. I hope you check the facts better so you are not mislead, you seem like a smart person.
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #70
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

I hope you're right about the aquatic centre, but I strongly disagree. I think it's in a bad location. Until downtown re-ignites, I only see low income kids from the west end using it honestly. If it was closer to Tecumseh, I think it would be much better used. Even near the WFCU (tons of land there).

Anyways, what I know about Eddie has obviously not gone to court, nor ever will...and it's not something pinned only to Mayors, it happens very often with many people everywhere. I just wish I could explain it in public!

Windsor is slowly diversifying. But I fear it will be too late because of slow progress. I don't think we'll ever wind up like Flint Michigan, but I don't think we'll ever see the glory days (before we were both born) either. But we could come close.
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #71
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Quote:
You can't audit everything just because a bunch of people with a hate mission want one, it would never end. All the audits that have been done so far have cleared the city of any wrong doing.

And eddies family didn't own that land, it was owned by Farhi, no relation. See, you believed one of the lies that was put out there to slander the mayor. I hope you check the facts better so you are not mislead, you seem like a smart person.
ENWIN is a joke. We need a real audit for it. Everyone knows that.

Eddie's family and relations stretch far behind the scenes. It may be regarded as a rumour, but it most certainly is not.
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #72
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

ANYWAYS,
Welcome to the forums. There's very few from Windsor, and most are inactive.

Even though we don't agree with city government, hopefully we can agree on other things.
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #73
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

What is your favourite building and neighbourhood in Windsor?
My favourite modern buildings are Portofino and the Augustus Tower of the Casino. I know it sounds tacky, but Portofino has a lovely shape, and the Augustus Tower gives Windsor the height I want. Nothing spectacular about them.

My favourite neighbourhoods are Walkerville and Sandwich Town. Eventhough Sandwich is run down in many ways, it still holds its historic charm.

I don't know if you know much about the history of Windsor and the area, but if you ever have any questions, let me know, I am obsessed with the history of the area lol. I know EVERYTHING. Or at least I pretend to!
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #74
North 42

Quote:
ANYWAYS,
Welcome to the forums. There's very few from Windsor, and most are inactive.

Even though we don't agree with city government, hopefully we can agree on other things.
Lol, thanks, I'm sure we agree on a lot of things. Sorry to come across as an ass, but I feel very strongly about my city and want it to live up to its great potential.

Oaronuviss liked this post
North 42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #75
North 42

Quote:
What is your favourite building and neighbourhood in Windsor?
My favourite modern buildings are Portofino and the Augustus Tower of the Casino. I know it sounds tacky, but Portofino has a lovely shape, and the Augustus Tower gives Windsor the height I want. Nothing spectacular about them.

My favourite neighbourhoods are Walkerville and Sandwich Town. Eventhough Sandwich is run down in many ways, it still holds its historic charm.

I don't know if you know much about the history of Windsor and the area, but if you ever have any questions, let me know, I am obsessed with the history of the area lol. I know EVERYTHING. Or at least I pretend to!
I'm a huge fan of Old Walkerville and Old Sandwich as well, but Walkerville to me is the best neighbourhood in the city, so many new shops and awesome restaurants. It has so much potential and everything seems to be falling into place.
I'm a big fan of Windsor's old office highrises from the early 1900s such as the Metropolitan Building and the Canada building. Augustus Tower does wonders for our skyline, so it's my favourite modern highrise in the city.
As for the Portofino condos, I love the deign, I just wish it was closer to the DT than it is. Hopefully Farhi will build a nice condo tower on one of the pieces of landl he owns by the Art Gallery.
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #76
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Portofino should be closer to downtown for sure. Would have been really nice. And yes you're right, it would be great if he built on that PRIME site!
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #77
Jaybird

Guys, let's keep the politics OUT of the development threads, please. Thank you.
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #78
North 42

An interesting article about Farhi wanting to make more property purchases DT.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/04...or-investment/
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #79
North 42

Possible new highrise city hall in near future.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/04...y-hall-square/
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #80
Jaybird

Say goodbye to the old Windsor Arena... was a great place to watch a Spitfires game. Will be demolished in favor of a new catholic school...

Quote:

Windsor Arena to be replaced by catholic school

CBC News Posted: May 23, 2013 7:20 AM ET

Windsor Arena will be replaced by a new Catholic high school.

Mayor Eddie Francis announced the decision at a news conference Thursday morning at the Art Gallery of Windsor.

Catholic Central is currently located near the busy intersection of Howard Avenue and Tecumseh Road. The school has a growing, diverse student body.

The Windsor Essex Catholic District School Board has been searching for sites for a new high school.

Paul Picard, the board's director of education, called Catholic Central a great school, "but the building is tired," he said.

The school board currently rents eight rooms in a building a block away from Catholic Central and sends 120 kids there for education.

The city once suggested the former Grace Hospital property. The board deemed that too close to the Assumption high school boundaries. it also suggested the Paul Martin Building and property on Caron Avenue.

CBC Windsor's Gino Conte was told the city offered the Windsor Arena site and surrounding properties to the school board for a nominal price. A $1 price tag was announced Thursday.

Officials said no property value assessment has been done because the value of a school far outweighs a dollar value on the property.

The deal is a good one for the financially strapped school board.

Research conducted by the ministry last year stated the board's capital deficit of $17.2 million "originated under prior administration when the board undertook the construction of school facilities not fully supported by new pupil places revenues" normally provided by the province. The decision to build those schools has saddled the board with the accumulated deficit.

Water World is included in the package but the social housing units located near the water park will not be touched. As part of the deal, Water World will have to be maintained as a community centre.

Picard said Water World can become a "field house" for the new school. He said several Catholic Central students spend time there now. Picard said the board would more than likely fill in the pool and use it as a gymnasium.

Francis said "architectural features of Windsor Arena [must] be considered and incorporated" in the design of the new school.

The Ontario Ministry of Education would fund construction of a new school.

Windsor West Liberal MPP Theresa Piruzza said the government supports the "revitalization" of Catholic Central.

The shovel is expected to be in the ground this year.