daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #181
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor
There are PSD's in London, eg the Jubilee Line.
Ows?

Hmm.... then I'll try visiting the England forum then.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #182
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos]
WTF! Why dosnt dubai atleast just give me one friggen billion dollars....it would do nothing to them since they seem to be just tossing away all there money in useless investments!!! THIS 33B COULD HAVE GONE TO POOR AFRICA
If these were useless investment, your Goverment would not freaked out and planing moves to restrict Dubai's Airline traffic into Australia. Not to mention that those moves are against FT treaties.

If you are so "concearned" about poor peoples around the world, start by helping your own aborigen population and give them their basic (human) rights, like the right to own a piece of land, a land that your grand, grand fathers stole from them in the first place.

Or your can ask your goverment to stop wasting billions of (US) dollars in military submarines and divert those funds to Africa.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:08 AM   #183
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
If these were useless investment, your Goverment would not freaked out and planing moves to restrict Dubai's Airline traffic into Australia. Not to mention that those moves are against FT treaties.

If you are so "concearned" about poor peoples around the world, start by helping your own aborigen population and give them their basic (human) rights, like the right to own a piece of land, a land that your grand, grand fathers stole from them in the first place.

Or your can ask your goverment to stop wasting billions of (US) dollars in military submarines and divert those funds to Africa.
My grandfathers have nothing to do with Australian history. My grandfathers where more concerned about human rights in boardering nations of Greece.

If I could give back some things like land I would....but I'm not in power unfortunatly.

Lastly, my entire post was a joke, a parady of what all the Dubai haters out there would probarbly be wanting to say.

Im a Greek.... I love Dubai and the Middle East ... Dont get all defensive over no reason.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:14 PM   #184
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

This one is dedicated to our Shopping Mall expert.. Monkey

Mall of Arabia contracts to be awarded soon

Dubai: Ilyas and Mustafa Galadari Group, developers of the Dh22 billion City of Arabia, will award a multi-billion dirham contract for its retail component, the Mall of Arabia, billed as the world's largest shopping mall, in a month, officials said.

City of Arabia, a massive shopping and theme park destination, expects construction work to pick up steam in the coming weeks as it prepares to announce main contractors for key components of the project.

Main contractor for Mall of Arabia will be announced within a month, City of Arabia chairman Ilyas Galadari told Gulf News yesterday.

Contracts for key first phase developments Restless Planet and Wadi Walk will follow soon, he added.

"Piling work is currently under way in full swing. In three months you will see 18,000 people working on City of Arabia construction sites," Galadari said.

Discussions are also taking place with three short-listed companies for the estimated $200-million monorail project and a contract may be awarded in a month's time. The companies that have bid for the deal include Malay-sia's MTrans, and Canada's Bombardier.

City of Arabia developer Ilyas and Mustafa Galadari Group plans to develop 80 per cent of the project using its own money, while the rest is being developed by outside investors who will acquire land from the Galadari group.

Completion

Being developed on 20 million square feet of land within Dubailand, City of Arabia is due for completion in 2008. Restless Planet will have a dinosaur theme park with over 100 animatronic dinosaurs. Wadi Walk will have Mediterranean-style apartments, cafes and shops alongside a two-km flowing canal. A total of 34 tower blocks will be built for commercial, hotel and residential use. When completed, City of Arabia will provide accommodation for around 35,000 people.

Dubailand expects to receive six million tourists by 2012 and Galadari hopes most of them will also visit City of Arabia.

Asked if Dubai was heading for an oversupply of shopping malls, Galadari said Mall of Arabia was designed to a destination in itself. "There is so much demand for space that we can lease all of Mall of Arabia today. We have a waiting list of 2,000, but we are trying to be selective about who will be present in the mall," Galadari said.

http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Rea.../10041854.html
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:42 PM   #185
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Too bad this thread had to hijacked by haters...this plan is unbelieveable.

I envy and am also in awe of Dubai's ambitions and plans. They don't have to deal with NIMBYs like here in America, so they get most of their incredible projects done. People shouldn't be talking about the worker rights or anything, since this has to do with Dubai's airports and not with human rights.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #186
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

residential city... click on thumbnail for large sized render

Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #187
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Has construction commenced? Photos?

Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #188
matherto

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I'll go there when they can figure out a way to prevent the desert from getting so damned hot.
give them a year or two and there will be a tower proposal that blocks out the sun
matherto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #189
Serm

Likes (Received): 0

AIRPORT CITY??

How can Dubai government afford for the large airport city in Dubai?? I, myself do not see any news about tourist in Dubai so far. It is big impossble for Dubai's ambitions to develop city plans to attract foreigners come in.... Doubtful, new city plans grow quickest.... because there are not many residents live with the large desert.
Serm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #190
KB

Likes (Received): 6843

what you talking dude?

Oh...you are a newbie... just go look at threads about what is going on currently in dubai before you comment..

You dont see tourists in dubai?? ummmhh? you must be kidding right?
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #191
paw25694
Batik

Likes (Received): 36

wow! dubai is a dreamland! i won't not believe about those massive projects! it's dubai anyway.. btw.. if the airport city has done, will dxb closed?
paw25694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #192
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

haven't decided yet
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #193
FallenGuard

Impressive!

Can Planes land on parallel Runways at the same time?
FallenGuard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #194
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

DUBAI WORLD CENTRAL

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #195
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

i dont know why but i am not very fond of this project
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #196
IlEstAndré

whats dubias poulation now?
IlEstAndré no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #197
Epi

Likes (Received): 77

I wonder if Dubai will really have 120 million passengers by 2050. Considering the next generation airplanes (Boeing 787, Airbus 350) are all super long range, they can easily bypass the middle east and fly straight from Asia to Europe without stopping. Surely that would be cheaper than to stop over a Dubai? And for MOST people... cheaper = better.

People like to compare Dubai to Hong Kong, but even Hong Kong which is incredibly built up and receives almost 30 million tourists a year doesn't get nearly that much airline traffic. Keep in mind that Hong Kong is the financial capital of it's region, and has a large influence over roughly the same population as Dubai's area. But then again, the political differences are staggering.

Hong Kong is part of China, and has very close ties with businesses in the most important industrial area on the planet. The growth and concentration of wealth in Hong Kong's area is not limited to a very few people being rich in oil, but spread out much more over an incredibly increasing middle class in China. Meanwhile, Dubai is an isolated city within an area of political instability. It is in an area of MANY competing nation states which would not likely cede such financial power to Dubai (heck even HK has to contend with the fact that the communist party of china prefers Shanghai to be it's showcase city) and they would likely enact laws and regulations to make sure Dubai does not have such power. Aside from oil and perhaps construction, there is FAR less wealth and reasons to do business in Dubai than there are in Hong Kong or even Singapore. There is absolutely no comparable middle class of consumers and producers in the middle east compared to South East Asia. The entire area completely relies on oil, and there are only so many companies you need to service oil. Meanwhile while Dubai does have a favourable business climate, so do many other countries which are all competing against eachother. I am not saying that Dubai will crash and burn, but will it really turn into the next Hong Kong or Singapore?

Meanwhile, how about the tourism angle? Not even Las Vegas has as many ridiculous projects as Dubai, and it's the largest tourism hub in the richest country in the world. I highly doubt Dubai will ever come close to tourism levels in Las Vegas (well maybe if they allowed gambling and showgirls...), and I really wonder how they can afford to pay off everything. Not every single rich person in the world is going to buy something in Dubai, contrary to popular belief. There really are more 'fun' places to go to which are much more scenic than the middle of the desert. There are places to shop which are more lively than the middle of the desert. And there already is a Disneyworld, and a bunch of disneylands around the world.

I wonder what will happen in 50 years, and whether this 33 billion dollar airport is just one ridiculously silly folly slowly playing out.

Last edited by Epi; December 11th, 2006 at 12:15 AM.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #198
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

The plan is for it to be hub, like Atlanta airport
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #199
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ malec

Hubs wouldn't be the trend of the 21st century but point-to-point travel.

Emirates, which is banking its future prospects heavily on the long-delayed A380s is, imho, is totally a major wrong decision because there are already planes coming out such as the 787 Dreamliner of Boeing and the A350 of Airbus Industrie that are: cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, wide-bodied, and long-range, but only smaller than the A380s and the 747 Stretchs.

With that premise in mind, I can say that the power of hub-airports will begin to wane as we approach the mid-century. Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bangkok; already major hubs; will soon see their air traffic growth slow or, even stagnate. By then, the truely practical areas for large airports would be the world's large metros and not anymore city-states with strategic geographical locations. Moreso, spending US$ 33 billion on an 'aerotropolis' the size of Dubai World Central is a very bad future investment because, in the end, much of the anticipated traffic won't come after all (even considering 2050 traffic statistics).

And even if the hubbing-trend in air travel may remain, the Middle-east and North Africa, by then, would have several other airports competing for transit air traffic such as the New Doha International Airport, New Khartoum International Airport, and New Jeddah International Airport.

Last edited by The Cebuano Exultor; December 11th, 2006 at 04:19 AM.
The Cebuano Exultor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #200
MTF

Likes (Received): 204

Dubai International (DXB)

Well there are pretty active members from dubai but i m surprised there is no thread abt construction of new terminal at DXB come on guys we need some pics?????
MTF no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, dubai, emirates, south asian hub airport