daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #221
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I can't understand why they want to build this... their current airport is nice, expandable, very modern.

Dubai just wants to be bigger and better, even if it is illogical.
More money than sense!

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #222
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotrfan55345 View Post
They should have atleast ONE runway not parallel for emergency purposes...
Being set in a coastal location the land and sea breezes are pretty reliable for providing headwind instead of crosswind.

I have flown planes in Phoenix for the past year and a half and the only times the winds would exceed our little Cessna's crosswind component would be during thunderstorms or haboobs. And aircraft do not fly in that stuff to begin with.
Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #223
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I can't understand why they want to build this... their current airport is nice, expandable, very modern.
The construction they are doing to it now I think is the last they will be able to expand, it looks pretty hemmed in from above on Google Earth.

I think the goal here is to make Dubai a hub-and-spoke stopover point between Europe and Asia, and in doing so luring more tourists to stay a while and see the sights.
Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #224
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ Mr. Fusion

But I think the hub-and-spoke trend will be dying soon given that new generation aircraft like the A350 and the 787-Dreamliner have very long ranges despite their size due to their more fuel efficient engines.

I mean, look at the drop in passenger numbers from Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson and Chicago-O'Hare; both these airports, despite retaining their first and second positions as the world's busiest airports, respectively; are already experiencing drops in passenger numbers.

And, besides, such a huge airport like Dubai World Central may be too big for its own good. I mean, any civil aircraft landing from any of the third-from-terminals runways would have to taxi a very long way before arriving at its gate.
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #225
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

The fact that American's big airport is losing traffic can be caused by many reasons. For example, airlines are doing a lot of code share these day consolidating many duplicated routes as it was in the old days. Also, landing at the region secondary airport is another factor with lower cost. The hub-and-spoke trend will still the aviation trend in the NA.

Worldwide, it will be, too.
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #226
Arkdriver
sa isip, sa salita

Location: penang, cyberjaya, muntinlupa,singapore, sunshine coast
Likes (Received): 332

and long taxi wont bode well for fuel escalation-sensitive LCCs.
Arkdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #227
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

you have to look at the airport as part of the larger
Dubai World Central project.

the idea is to create the world's first integrated multi-modal logistics hub.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #228
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4261

Its about time that dubai gets a new airport. The old one is pure horror. I was there couple of days ago and couldnt even find a place to sit because it was too crowded. It was even difficult to walk because lots of people were sitting and sleeping on the floor.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #229
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

@ love2bebrown

Quote:
you have to look at the airport as part of the larger
Dubai World Central project.

the idea is to create the world's first integrated multi-modal logistics hub.
I've looked at the entire project a thousand times. And every time I see it, my first reaction is, "OMG!" Then, "WOW that's really, really huge!" Then, "OMG that's too much."

BTW, this isn't the world's first integrated multi-modal logistics hub. Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok International Airport is. Seoul-Incheon International Airport "The Winged City" is, probably the second. Dubai World Central would, probably be third.
Old July 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #230
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 471

well im amazed at all the aviation experts who know so much more than the people paid to develop and design this new airport. neverthe less here is the proper update
DXB terminal 3 is nearly complete and terminal 4 is U/c in the basement. These will supliment the terminal 2 currently overcrowded due to massive increase in volumes of pax.

Dubai central is currently U/C with the first 2 runways almost complete and the new exhebision centre U/C in time for the Dubai airshow 2009. Treminal buildings are still under design and it will open with cargo and regional LCC routes only. Once the new highspeed metro (purple line) linking the 2 airports (about 65km) is open (currently in design and due for tender very soon), then Emirates will stay at curent dubai airport and have 3 massive dedicated terminals and all other carriers and cargo will go to Jebal ali ariprot (dubai central). Eventually in around 2020 Emirates will move thereas well when the final terminals and last of the 6 runways are complete. by this time the airport will have been the catalst for a masasive new city and freezone linked to jebal ali harbour.
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #231
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Do you think they'll use a MagLev line to connect these two airports? With all the money the government is spending everywhere else, I think a MagLev line like the one in Shanghai will be a great benefit.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #232
luv2bebrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
I've looked at the entire project a thousand times. And every time I see it, my first reaction is, "OMG!" Then, "WOW that's really, really huge!" Then, "OMG that's too much."

BTW, this isn't the world's first integrated multi-modal logistics hub. Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok International Airport is. Seoul-Incheon International Airport "The Winged City" is, probably the second. Dubai World Central would, probably be third.
hong kong and other places might be multi-modal logistics hubs, but the key word here is INTEGRATED.
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #233
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown View Post
hong kong and other places might be multi-modal logistics hubs, but the key word here is INTEGRATED.
what is the definition of "integrated?"
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:39 AM   #234
luv2bebrown

the port and airport are in a single freezone situated immediately adjacent to each other. the freezone will also contain manufacturing and assembly plants, a massive office and residential complex - allowing for 100% foreign ownership. imagine if memphis had a port/trucking station/airport altogether in single location - companies liek fedex would really benefit

my guess is that if the GCC ever introduces rail freight, a central railway freight station would also be integrated into the freezone. i think the idea is that having these facilities all intregrated maximizes efficiency and might minimize the hassle of customs.

also remember that this project is for the future - no way in hell does dubai expect to have 120million pax a year today. theyre planning 50 years or so ahead.
btw incheon is aroudn 15km away from seoul's port according to wiki
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:12 PM   #235
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

@ luv2bebrown

Quote:
Uh, Seoul-Incheon is an integrated logistics hub as well. In fact, it will be capable of handling 9 million tonnes of cargo annually (still shy of 3 million tonnes from Dubai Word Central's full capacity) when it will be fully developed. There are cargo terminals as well as an export freezone just beside the runways. But while Dubai World Central covers 14,000 hectares this only covers 5,700 hectares.

Listen, I can understand why Dubai is doing this. I know this is suppose to be a 50 year development process. But seeing that there are simply too many buildings in its suroundings makes me think that its still extremely excessive even given the long time frame of development. Why do you need to hundreds of buildings for the Exhibition City? Isn't it already too excessive to have 3 million square meters of exhibition space.

Last edited by The Cebuano Exultor; August 2nd, 2007 at 06:23 PM.
The Cebuano Exultor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:24 PM   #236
luv2bebrown

maybe. but dubai has a history of building things that seem insane to everyone apart from those who believe in its vision.

decades ago, when the late Sheikh Rashid (former ruler of dubai) ordered the jebel ali port dredged, everyone thought he was insane.

emirates airlines started in 1985 with just 2 leased planes. its posted profits for every year except its 2nd year since then and is one track to becoming one of if not the largest airline in the world.

we just have to trust that the people building these things know what theyre doing - their track record shows they do.
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:50 PM   #237
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10399

What are they going to with the current airport when World Central is built?

Will it still be used for more domestic and regional destinations, or will it be demolished?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Its about time that dubai gets a new airport. The old one is pure horror. I was there couple of days ago and couldnt even find a place to sit because it was too crowded. It was even difficult to walk because lots of people were sitting and sleeping on the floor.
Yeah, it gets very crowded...when I went there in transit, I couldn't find a seat either.

I love the interior though, and the duty-free shops...although I'm not a fan of the seemingly numerous passport checks.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM   #238
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

@ TenRot

Quote:
What are they going to with the current airport when World Central is built?

Will it still be used for more domestic and regional destinations, or will it be demolished?
When Dubai World Central International Airport will be opened, Emirates will be the sole user of Dubai International Airport while the all other airlines will move to Dubai World Central.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:40 AM   #239
delores

Likes (Received): 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrkn View Post
Forget the runways the whole airport project is a waste!!!
I guess the sheikh's have nothing better to do
its actually an enviromental disaster. Can you imagine the pollution around here? then ontop of that they plan on building a city too. Not very smart, these people will in the future complain and stop an expansion programms the airport has (not that it needs to). Maybe Dubai should be looking at other transport methods instead of investing in fossil burning aeroplanes.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM   #240
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
its actually an enviromental disaster. Can you imagine the pollution around here? then ontop of that they plan on building a city too. Not very smart, these people will in the future complain and stop an expansion programms the airport has (not that it needs to). Maybe Dubai should be looking at other transport methods instead of investing in fossil burning aeroplanes.
Dubai has the money, so who cares about the environment? See how much water the city wastes in the a desert city everyday and how much energy it has wasted in all the crazy reclamation.

Tags
airport, dubai, emirates, south asian hub airport