daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM   #241
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
its actually an enviromental disaster. Can you imagine the pollution around here? then ontop of that they plan on building a city too. Not very smart, these people will in the future complain and stop an expansion programms the airport has (not that it needs to). Maybe Dubai should be looking at other transport methods instead of investing in fossil burning aeroplanes.
thats true.
but it applies to the whole world. i guess you are saying the entire world should cease the expansion of the air transportation industry?
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:47 PM   #242
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Dubai has the money, so who cares about the environment? See how much water the city wastes in the a desert city everyday and how much energy it has wasted in all the crazy reclamation.
probably as much energy as has been wasted by people living in cold climates to keep themselves warm.

everybody who lives in cold and hot areas should just abandon their lands and move to more temperate areas in order to conserve energy
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #243
MTF

Likes (Received): 204

Well every1 is talking abt Jebbal Ali airport over here!! any pics from DXB construction going on second terminal building at the moment??
MTF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #244
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 78

I wonder how they wanna utilize that monster-airport with 120,000.000 million passenders a year, in addition to the other dubai airport with extra 60 or more million passengers?

Isn't it a little bit unrealistic to bring more than 200.000.000 people to Dubai a year?

Last edited by devilsadvocate; August 6th, 2007 at 06:01 PM.
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #245
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
When Dubai World Central International Airport will be opened, Emirates will be the sole user of Dubai International Airport while the all other airlines will move to Dubai World Central.
Interesting.

I have never heard of an airline using an entire airport (terminals, yes).
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #246
Arkdriver
sa isip, sa salita

Location: penang, cyberjaya, muntinlupa,singapore, sunshine coast
Likes (Received): 329

then, we never heard of a crazy arab sheik gonna construct a new VAST housing area in the sea. Not just one but three of them. Then, we never heard of anything beyond taipei 101, really well beyond that.
Arkdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #247
Tulsa

Likes (Received): 20

DUBAI: The Centre of Asia/Europe/Africa

Let's face it...Dubai is right smack in the middle of earth's largest contiguous landmass, i.e. Asia/Europe/Africa
image hosted on flickr

Hence I'm very optimistic on the prospects of Dubai becoming the world's foremost centre of aviation. Dubai World Central International Airport (6 runways / 120mn pax p.a.) is exactly what needed for Dubai to realise its potential.

my 2 cents

Last edited by Tulsa; August 8th, 2007 at 04:59 AM.
Tulsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #248
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdial_x5 View Post
Htats soo STUPID!!

making ALL THE RUNWAYS FACE in the SAME direction?!?!

HOW the HELL will they NAME them LOOOOOL!!?!?!

like...

i mean you cant have anymore that, for example,

36R, 36C, 36L

what will the other 3 be?!

IMMO they should change the direction in whicch the runways face, cross a couple so it will be an advanatge in cross-wind sitations...
There are plenty of airports with the number of parallel runways exceding 3 in number (ATL =5, LAX =4, DFW =5, etc...). ORD will have 6 parallel runways and 2 crosswind when it's redevelopment is finished.
To differentiate the runway designators they merely add or subtract 10 degrees.

For example at ATL the designations are as follows:
8L/26R, 8R/26L, 9L/27R, 9R/27L ,10/28 All these runways have the same orientation.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #249
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Thanks for posting that airport diagram. Having parallel runways aren't a problem at all.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #250
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
I wonder how they wanna utilize that monster-airport with 120,000.000 million passenders a year, in addition to the other dubai airport with extra 60 or more million passengers?

Isn't it a little bit unrealistic to bring more than 200.000.000 people to Dubai a year?
again for those not listening, Not TOO dubai but THROUGH dubai. Most use dubai as a conection hub ie from Australia to Europe etc
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #251
devilsadvocate

But which airports will lose its passengers??
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #252
killerk

Likes (Received): 1116

Challenges to JXB

People staying in Dubai always complain about the amount of traffic growth and how busy and crowded the airport has become. I know people from Dubai who prefer using nearby Abu dhabi as it maintains the least time (based on some standard) to complete security check, immigration and boarding and trust me, the entire thing takes just 1 hr in AUH......
In Dubai, it takes me one hr just to walk to the right gate (double that, if they change their mind on that in the last minute, happened once)...But I definitely appreciate their efficiency in running the place (no other airport in ME and Indian Subcontinent can boast of the immense logistics behind their functioning).

Dubai's aviation plans are megalomaniac for sure, and they have publicly announced their intentions of being the world's largest aviation hub. The biggest issue that they are going to face is from the governments of other nations that do not want to see Emirates airlines and Dubai grow at the cost of their national flag carriers and international gateways (Germany, Australia and New Zealand have already started protesting and others might follow soon).

The other issue is that Emirates airlines' flights are highly over-rated and hence overpriced. I know many people who are now preferring Doha based Qatar Airways and UAE's very own national airline Etihad airways especially to fly from Europe and North America to the Indian Subcontinent. Each of these airlines have been competitive with their fares and services and have the oil money to pump into buying new aircrafts and embark on massive expansion plans without having to declare profits.

People from Asia (including me) are very money conscious. We want good service and best connections to get to Mumbai, Bangkok or Karachi and not get pampered with caviar for dinner, flat bed seats and spending 2 nights in a 5 (or 7) star hotel. This business model of pampering people is now being emulated by Air India and Jet Airways of India on their New York area flights. Only time can tell if they are going to make any money out of it. The Gulf nations however have a huge business community making millions and well paid employees (all of who have partnered with regional airlines in the form of frequent flier programs and/or corporate discounts) to support the burgeoning aviation industry there.

But then again there is even a huge population that supports the point to point low cost carrier model. Air Arabia from nearby Sharjah declared profitability in just over an year of their first flight. Similarly there is the Jazeera Airways from Kuwait which has made Dubai their second hub (or point).

Emirates has realized the huge potential that lies in the continent of Africa and mainland China and the inter-relationship between the two sectors, goes to show how good their Marketing research analysts are. Houston, Texas is home to the largest community from West Africa and they tell me how they can fly to Uganda or Ghana or Ivory coast from the US through Dubai for around a return fare of around USD 1400. To complement their interests, Emirates is starting a non-stop Houston - Dubai flight from December 2007.

The aviation world is currently experiencing a slow but gradual paradigm shift from the hub-spoke concept to the point to point one. This will be accelerated by the recent launch of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and the scale of the orders (584 till date) that Boeing has witnessed for the highly efficient
aircraft of the future along with the interests of entrepreneur promoters of the concept like Richard Branson (of Virgin group) and Tony Fernandes of Air Asia. Emirates has decided to stick to the behemoth rival Airbus's A380. Given the cost of operating and managing the A380, compared to the 787, a high load factor is mandatory to make profit for sectors that make use the A380.

Last but not the least, time has played an important factor in tuning the aviation industry to its present form. In spite of increasing fuel prices, the cost of flying has halved in the last 20-30 years (accounting for inflation, obviously, which is why we don't realize that).

and hence only time can tell what the future holds for DXB and JXB........

Ps....BTW about the linear arrangement of runway, the reason for that could be that any other form would increase the range of flight path for approaching and departing aircrafts and hence limit the height restrictions on Shaikh Zayed Road, an issue that is too late and definitely not in the interests of Dubai's decision makers to rectify.
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #253
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I think Southwest should fly to JXB in the future.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #254
devilsadvocate

Any new pics?
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #255
killerk

Likes (Received): 1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa View Post
Let's face it...Dubai is right smack in the middle of earth's largest contiguous landmass, i.e. Asia/Europe/Africa
image hosted on flickr

Hence I'm very optimistic on the prospects of Dubai becoming the world's foremost centre of aviation. Dubai World Central International Airport (6 runways / 120mn pax p.a.) is exactly what needed for Dubai to realise its potential.

my 2 cents
"Dubai is right smack in the middle of earth's largest contiguous landmass"; And so are Abu Dhabi and Doha......With the money Etihad and Qatar Airways are pumping into expansions, only time can tell if JXB is going to be sustainable!!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #256
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
[IMG]http://i24.************/16kxe09.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i20.************/4lxtu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i24.************/9907bd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i22.************/348ksk8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i23.************/192ouf.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i23.************/2epredh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i22.************/v6j95z.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i22.************/5ust3.jpg[/IMG]
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #257
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

nice, dxb is looking great!
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #258
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdial_x5 View Post
Htats soo STUPID!!

making ALL THE RUNWAYS FACE in the SAME direction?!?!

HOW the HELL will they NAME them LOOOOOL!!?!?!

like...

i mean you cant have anymore that, for example,

36R, 36C, 36L

what will the other 3 be?!

IMMO they should change the direction in whicch the runways face, cross a couple so it will be an advanatge in cross-wind sitations...
36 bob
36 larry
36 james
36 laura
36 janet
36 jenni

or they can be arab names.
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #259
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

do we have aerials of the current situation in Dubai world central?

I heard the first runway is done (with 5 more to come....)
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #260
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

I don't think we have, however this thread is for the DXB only.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, dubai, emirates, south asian hub airport