daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #541
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Don't mix up transfer and transit. Transit passengers are those who don't change planges and flight numbers. I.e. pax of Garuda's CGK-DXB-AMS flights who stay on this flight from CGK to AMS. All other passengers who don't have DXB as their origin/destination are transfer passengers and thus counted twice (i.e. all EK pax who i.e. fly from say Europe to South East Asia via Dubai; LHR-DXB-MNL, FRA-DXB-SYD, YYZ-DXB-BLR, ... - all pax on those routings are counted twice in Dubai) - same procedure on all airports worldwide.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #542
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

Source:http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...16529,00.html?

Quote:
December 7, 2010, 4.03 pm (Singapore time)
Dubai may delay opening of new passenger airport

DUBAI - Dubai Airports said on Tuesday it may delay the scheduled March opening of a passenger terminal at a new airport as it unveiled plans to expand capacity at its old airport to 90 million passengers by 2018.

'We are currently reviewing the master plan for the new airport,' the CEO of Dubai Airports, Paul Griffith, told reporters.

'With everything going on time and according to schedule, we are reviewing the opening date for the new terminal and we may push it a little just to get everything right,' he said.

But the opening would still take place before the end of 2011. 'We are talking just months ... It looks though that it is going to be later in the year,' he said.

In June, the Gulf city state opened Dubai World Central-Al Maktoum International Airport, touted to become the world's largest when completed. It has so far been confined to cargo.

The airports chief also unveiled plans to expand the capacity of Dubai International Airport to 90 million passengers a year by 2018, from 60 million at present.

'We are about to unveil an expensive master plan for this airport,' he said on the sidelines of a Middle East Business Aviation show. 'It will give us a big increase in capacity to 90 million by 2018.'

He said the current capacity of 60 million passengers would rise to 75 million when concourse three opens in 2012.

'The growth here is going to be very strong and it will take the pressure off us having to complete Al-Maktoum airport in quite the timescale we were looking at before,' he added. -- AFP
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #543
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

I like their ATC tower.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:48 AM   #544
Dubaiiscool:)

Likes (Received): 16

Concourse 3 Update December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 90 View Post

Thanks to Tony 90.
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #545

BBC Middle East Business Report: Keeping the A380 Flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL-LZN1toOU
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #546
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

Which architectural firm designed Terminal 3?
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #547
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALIL GARG 25 BUSALT View Post
I AM REALLY NOT CONVINCED...........

SEE........

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...77162&t=h&z=14

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...77162&t=h&z=14

THE MAGNIFICATION IS SAME IN BOTH.........AND DUBAI T3 LOOKS REALLY SMALL IN COMPARISON TO BEIJING T3................
Totally agree... The scale of Beijing is amazing....
Old January 18th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
Which architectural firm designed Terminal 3?
I am not exactly sure but I think the interior was designed by Paul Andreu and the exterior (Concourse 2) by the Dar Al-Handasah group.
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #549
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
The airports chief also unveiled plans to expand the capacity of Dubai International Airport to 90 million passengers a year by 2018, from 60 million at present.

'We are about to unveil an expensive master plan for this airport,' he said on the sidelines of a Middle East Business Aviation show. 'It will give us a big increase in capacity to 90 million by 2018.'
That would definitely make it necessary to build at least a 3rd runway, because it's simply not possible to handle 90 million passengers annually with just 2 runways.

But if you look at aerials you quickly realize that there is no space around DXB whatsoever.
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #550

Dubai airport handles 15% more passengers in 2010

December passenger numbers reached 4.2 million, an increase of 11.6 per cent compared to 3.8 million recorded during the same month in 2009.

Staff Report

January 26, 2011

The Dubai International Airport saw 2010 passenger traffic reaching an historic 47.2 million, up 15.3 per cent over 40.9 million in 2009 and 2.4 per cent more than the 46.1 million originally projected for the year.
According to the annual traffic report issued on Wednesday by Dubai Airports, December passenger numbers reached 4.2 million, an increase of 11.6 per cent compared to 3.8 million recorded during the same month in 2009. In terms of monthly traffic, the airport crossed the four million mark for the third consecutive month in December, and for the fourth time in 2010.
Dubai International also witnessed strong cargo traffic growth in 2010 following a surge in air freight volumes during the first three quarters of the year as the global economy recovered and companies worldwide cleared inventories.

Air freight traffic growth slowed to single-digit monthly increases during the latter part of the year including December when the facility handled 188,103 tonnes of freight in compared to 182,874 tonnes in the corresponding month in 2009, an increase of 2.9 per cent. Annual cargo traffic rose to 2.27 million tonnes, a robust 17.7 per cent rise over the 1.93 million tonnes recorded in 2009.
Even with the trend of moderate cargo traffic growth expected to continue globally in 2011, freight volumes are fast-approaching Dubai's 2.5-million tonnes of capacity and should elevate the importance of Dubai World Central - Al Maktoum International in accommodating additional cargo traffic.
Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, President of Dubai Civil Aviation Authority and Chairman of Dubai Airports, attributed Dubai International's continued success to Dubai's progressive aviation model.
"The key to our success has been our coordinated and supportive approach to aviation," said Shaikh Ahmad. "Dubai has a model, unlike Europe and elsewhere, that recognises aviation's strategic importance and promotes growth in the sector. It starts with an open skies policy, competitive rates and a tax-free environment that has attracted over 130 airlines to Dubai and extends to strategic investments in top-flight aviation infrastructure that promote high service standards and sustain rapid growth. This combined with our geocentric location, which can effectively connect any two major cities in the world, will drive further expansion and continued benefits to consumers across the globe."
Paul Griffiths, CEO of Dubai Airports, added: "It was a year in which we celebrated many milestones. We surpassed our growth projections, ushered in Dubai's status as a twin-airport city with the opening of Dubai World Central - Al Maktoum International in June and celebrated Dubai International's 50th anniversary.
"The growth story continues in 2011 with passenger numbers expected to surge another 11 per cent to 52.2 million. As a result, we have plans to boost capacity on the ground and in the air to ensure we can accommodate the growth while improving service across the airport."

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...-2010-1.752343
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #551
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Is there a decent location for spotters to take pictures upon arrival and take off? Any popular spots in the particular?
Old January 27th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #552
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
Increase capacity from the current 60 million to 90 million passengers!
How will the airport handle such a large figure of traffic with 2 runways?
From the aerial views there doesnt really appear to be any more room to add a 3rd runway...
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #553

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Is there a decent location for spotters to take pictures upon arrival and take off? Any popular spots in the particular?
I have posted your question in the "UAE Aviation News and Discussion" thread; maybe a local forum member can help you with your question.
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #554
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiiscool:) View Post
I have posted your question in the "UAE Aviation News and Discussion" thread; maybe a local forum member can help you with your question.
That is very nice of you. I have been looking on my own as well. I want to go for a visit and take some shots as well.
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #555
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

I don't live in Dubai and am not entirely sure of the best locations, but maybe you should try Al Rashidiya Park, Mushrif Park (if you want to be directly under the airplanes as they descend or depart), or maybe one of the neighborhoods near the airport.

I have never done airplane/airport spotting myself, so I am not sure if there are certain locations that work the best. Hope this helps.
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #556
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaiiscool:) View Post

May be you can go to Festival City (IKEA Stores) .....go to top of the Intercontinental Hotel get best out of this place....
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM   #557
SALIL GARG 25 BUSALT

Likes (Received): 0

how many moving walkways are there in the present concourse 2 and how many will be there in the under-construction concourse 3?????? i know that there are 82 in the main part of terminal 3 but no idea about the concourses.....any guesses?????????
SALIL GARG 25 BUSALT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #558
darowu

Likes (Received): 5

Polish accent. Excuse me, that here, but I did not know where to move.

Wrocław airport
darowu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #559
bubbalo

Likes (Received): 924

date unknown
bubbalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #560

This is a more recent update.

Click on link below for a new photo on one of gerald.d's gigapans:

http://www.gigapan.org/gigapans/72785/

I have created a snapshot called Emirates Concourse 3.

They are making good progress with the aerobridges.

Tags
airport, dubai, emirates, south asian hub airport